• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Phol

Fuuuuuck I just lost another 16k souls. Making no progress at all trying to fight that
frozen knight
down the elevator. It was such a stupid thing as well. Ran past 3 rats in the sewers, climbed up a ladder, fell down while fighting a dog and was immediately treated with 3 rats just cornering me, couldn't roll, fight or move at all. This might be the salties I've been in any souls game so far c.c.

YEEEEAH! fucker is dead! still super low on souls and level though c.c.

Brain maidens are fucked but so are those goats in this game than jump. What makes them so bullshit is the hit detection for that fucking grab is not even close to accurate. I've had it miss by 2-3 meters and my character just slides back over to then and they eat like half my health. So dumb you can't break out of it.

Yeah those are kinda annoying, didn't have much trouble except in
Smouldering Lake
... there is this tiny room with four of those and two more enraged in the next room, fuck that!

Veelk

Banned
On a replay, C
athedral of the Deep
is such an anti-climax with the first truly complex level concept, packed with major secrets like R
osaria's Bonfire
and some of the most devious enemy combos in the game, all ending in the wet fart that is D
eacons of the Deep

I didn't mind so much because that was one of the few bosses that the Greatsword is REALLY good against. It's managable for a lot of them, but DotD is custom made to have their shit wrecked by it.

On a replay, C
athedral of the Deep
is such an anti-climax with the first truly complex level concept, packed with major secrets like R
osaria's Bonfire
and some of the most devious enemy combos in the game, all ending in the wet fart that is D
eacons of the Deep
Completely agree. On my first playthrough, the architecture and art style of the level had me expecting some epic boss fight like
the Dancer.
The actual fight was fairly disappointing and over very quickly.

Nephtes

OMG WTF, being dumped directly into the
Dancer of the Boreal Valley
boss fight directly after
Yohrm
is just fucking mean.

76,000 Souls just sitting there on the floor because of course I died...
9 embers later I finally prevailed... But holy crap, most phantoms were 0 help....

Summon 2 phantoms, 1 out of 2 dead in the first 30 seconds. -_-

Sephzilla

I'm starting to believe N
ameless King
is impossible to beat. Fuck.

I finally managed to beat him last night. I was legit shaking at the end because he he was winding up for a swing that would have killed me, and his health was so low that one swing from my sword would have killed him. So instead of being safe I went ballsy and went for the kill. It felt like

2.gif

But really though, fuck N
ameless King
. He's one of my least favorite bosses in the game.

On a replay, C
athedral of the Deep
osaria's Bonfire
eacons of the Deep

I think putting a really hard boss at the end of C
athedral of the Deep
would almost be too unfair though considering how long that area is, though. If you dont find the shortcuts in that level you're going to be on your death bed by the time you make it to the boss.

Ricker

Been practicing parry in the first area and even on those early guys,I miss it half the time and when I get it,the riposte as they say with R1 doesnt seem to do anything more then a regular R1 attack...am I not hitting it fast enough after the parry or something...? would really be useful against all those wraiths in the area after the Catacombs Boss,( Irithyll of the Boreal Valley),that section is killing me so far...

ogbg

Grabs are such a fucked concept in this series. It gained prominence as a problem in DS2 but basically any time From applies that mechanic it's this perfect intersection between a nonsense active range that doesn't match the animation of you OR the enemy, an absurd amount of damage is dealt, and the process of sitting there watching the enemy use your character as a suppository for 5 seconds is tedious.

I think the problem is that they have a fixed animation which has to place you and their hand in a certain position. It looks weird just after you get hit because you jump to that new location but before you get hit the animation and hitbox are fine.

Grabs are such a fucked concept in this series. It gained prominence as a problem in DS2 but basically any time From applies that mechanic it's this perfect intersection between a nonsense active range that doesn't match the animation of you OR the enemy, an absurd amount of damage is dealt, and the process of sitting there watching the enemy use your character as a suppository for 5 seconds is tedious.
Doesn't help as a summon/in co-op either. Since you can't damage enemies during grab animations. That and the weirdness you get where two people get caught in the same grab. Had me and a summon both get one-shot by the D
ancer's
grab when we tried to do it early.

ogbg

Been practicing parry in the first area and even on those early guys,I miss it half the time and when I get it,the riposte as they say with R1 doesnt seem to do anything more then a regular R1 attack...am I not hitting it fast enough after the parry or something...? would really be useful against all those wraiths in the area after the Catacombs Boss,( Irithyll of the Boreal Valley),that section is killing me so far...

You have to get right up to them for the riposte. Like touching.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Summon 2 phantoms, 1 out of 2 dead in the first 30 seconds. -_-

Never summon more than one phantom. Always counter-productive in my opinion. Tag-teaming with another player makes most fights fairly easy because you can bounce hate between the two of you giving you tons of time to estus/buff up between attack volleys.

Nephtes

Doesn't help as a summon/in co-op either. Since you can't damage enemies during grab animations. That and the weirdness you get where two people get caught in the same grab. Had me and a summon both get one-shot by the D
ancer's
grab when we tried to do it early.

Fuck that particular grab!
SO MUCH DAMAGE! I'm at 30 VIG or VIT or whatever the HP stat is, and if you have so much as a knick on you and you get caught in that grab...

YOU DIED.

Never summon more than one phantom. Always counter-productive in my opinion. Tag-teaming with another player makes most fights fairly easy because you can bounce hate between the two of you giving you tons of time to estus/buff up between attack volleys.

Yeah, but what if the one phantom I pick is the scrub kind that dies in the first 30 seconds? Then it's just me... D:

Weird, last night I 1 shotted (3 late game bosses):
Dancer, Consumed King, and Gundyr.
I was around level 65 when I started the night have a +7 heavy Dark Sword, but I think I am just getting better at these games the more I play them. It is still hard at times for sure, but I feel like my confidence has almost leveled up and I am more calm now while playing these games. I think that is the biggest thing. I am getting much better at timing my dodges. Getting close to the end now I think. I hope I didn't just jinx myself too...I'll probably get wrecked the rest of the way.

Also, holy fucking shit..
ArchDragon Peak
is fucking gorgeous. One of my favorite looking environments in any game ever I think. Just made it to the
Wyrm
too, which was super cool.

Skii

Just going through my inventory and apparently I have the Dark Sigil...

Who gave it to me? Do I need to get rid of it? I just fetched the firekeeper's soul from the tower during my last play session.

I bet it was that blind cleric who was adamant that I "touch" her.

Just going through my inventory and apparently I have the Dark Sigil...

Who gave it to me? Do I need to get rid of it? I just fetched the firekeeper's soul from the tower during my last play session.
It has to do with
Yoel.
You didn't actually think
he'd give you those levels for free,
right? This is Dark Souls.

Sephzilla

They did a really good job of telegraphing that shortcuts were the name of the game for that area though. The bonfire with those locked doors makes it very clear that you need to put in some work.

It would've been cool to have the very last shortcut be one of the easier boss runs, but with a tough boss, to reward all the shortcut hunting. Instead you open up all that and still get a fairly involved jog to a boss fight that doesn't really live up to what you achieved to get there.

Yeah I still would have liked a tougher boss at the end there. That being said it really didn't hurt my opinion of the area though because that whole section is legitimately some of the best Souls level design ever.

Manu

Lol clearly we have very different play styles. Best of luck. If u still can't get him, I'll prob be on tonight running more people through that fight.

I usually roll through everything, but this game makes so much damage that getting hit once usually means death, since he will hit you a second time right after.

That stupid delayed follow-up poke got me more times than I'd like to admit.

Skii

It has to do with
Yoel.
You didn't actually think
he'd give you those levels for free,
right? This is Dark Souls.

Classic Dark Souls.

Is it a major problem that I need to deal with or is it a minor affliction?

Grief.exe

Classic Dark Souls.

I would suggest looking it up on your NG+ playthrough. There is a good chance you missed out on the mechanic, and I got kind of spoiled on it one way or another.

GulAtiCa

Thanks to some very generous donators, got all the pale tongues I needed last night. Even got 2 more Forked Pale Tongue, for a total of 5 total, from Blues. Both who died on their own somehow. lol. I won't use these till after I beat the game though.

Classic Dark Souls.

It is part of a series of events, involving
multiple character's side quests
, that leads to
a specific ending.

It terms of the way it affects you gameplay-wise, it's
purely aesthetic.

duck_sauce

While playing Dark Souls 3 and utterly loosing my shit to
Aldrich
i realized that fighting bosses in Dark Souls 3 is not that fun for me. I love Dark Souls, love the feel of the combat, the world, the atmosphere. Everything is really great and highl enjoyable, but the boss fights are a chore for me.

Dark Souls without the boss fight would be the perfect game for me. Exploring secrets, fighting hard mobs......perfection.

Maybe i just suck at the boss fights.

Sephzilla

, that leads to
a specific ending.

purely aesthetic.

Doesn't Hallowing affect
the number of phantoms you can summon
?

The CotD is an excellent level. I love all of the areas in this game TBH.

Real talk - top to bottom I think Dark Souls 3 has the best levels in the franchise.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, but what if the one phantom I pick is the scrub kind that dies in the first 30 seconds? Then it's just me... D:

Fair comment, but bear in mind that however many you go in with, the buff to the boss's hp is going to stay till the end so you could be inadvertently making a rock for your own back if you can't find reliable summons.

My advice is that if you find people your level struggle generally, maybe grind up a bit or improve your gears to not only enhance yourself, but the standard of your collaborators.

DS3 seems to me to have the most pronounced tipping point in the series between fights being rough as hell or pretty easy -based purely on level/gearing.

Skii

I would suggest looking it up on your NG+ playthrough. There is a good chance you missed out on the mechanic, and I got kind of spoiled on it one way or another.

Yeah I must have. It says it builds up curse but I've just navigated the
bassilisks in Farrow's keep and extinguished the fires in the three towers. Guess it's a pretty superficial problem.

Kindekuma

Banned
On a replay, C
athedral of the Deep
osaria's Bonfire
eacons of the Deep

I dunno, I liked the boss fight of C
athedral of the Deep
. It was a refreshing mix up boss-wise (for me at least). I think the boss of the C
atacombs
was a wet fart to a cool area. But I guess there's only so much you can do with
GIANT SKELETONS DOOT DOOT.

Skii

, that leads to
a specific ending.

purely aesthetic.

Are the spoilers here quite big? I've just cleared Farron's keep (the swamp part).

Sephzilla

Undead Settlement, Cathedral, Boreal Valley, Irithyll Dungeon, Lothric Castle
- all fantastic levels.
Demon Ruins and Catacombs are pretty ass tho

Well it makes sense that
Demon Ruins and the Catacombs
would be the worst levels in Dark Souls 3 since
they were the worst levels in Dark Souls 1 also

Well it makes sense that
Demon Ruins and the Catacombs
would be the worst levels in Dark Souls 3 since
they were the worst levels in Dark Souls 1 also
Haha fair. In this game they're just too short and too uninspired. They're basically a
chalice dungeon
and a
red chalice dungeon.

Sephzilla

Haha fair. In this game they're just too short and too uninspired. They're basically a
chalice dungeon
and a
red chalice dungeon.

Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only person who had major
chalice dungeon
vibes from those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom