• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

I have nowhere to go but Irithyll Dungeon and reading your sories about this place makes me not want to enter AT ALL, I've been sitting at the bonfire for 10 minutes now :(

It's one of my favorite zones. Have no fear - just enjoy it. It's like a spooky haunted house.

Poison lake areas are the sections of every Souls game that I love to hate. I wouldn't want more than one but I'm glad they are part of the series. Generally when I play I just stay poisoned and deal with the dwindling HP, which makes for a fun change of pace and gives you another resource to manage. It adds a nice layer of tension that works well for a single area, I think.

Plus, my favorite build in Bloodborne was pure Bloodtinge with the Chikage, so I'm kind of used to slowly draining HP. :)

Chikage is sooo good!!! I went for it in NG++ and at first I thought "hard to use, crap, shit!" a couple of hours later it became my favourite weapon.
I did the same as you in Farron Keep btw.

K' Dash

It's one of my favorite zones. Have no fear - just enjoy it. It's like a spooky haunted house.

I guess I'll just Git Gud.

resize

mxgt

Banned
I have nowhere to go but Irithyll Dungeon and reading your sories about this place makes me not want to enter AT ALL, I've been sitting at the bonfire for 10 minutes now :(

For what it's worth, I really liked the area.

It's interesting and pretty spooky.

I have a refined dark sword +6 in use. It has STR/DEX scaling at B/B

I'm slaying mofos with it and dat stomp is so good :)

Hmm I also have the Dark Sword and debating if I want to make it heavy or refine. My str is only at 43 and my Dex is at 20. Does the leveling up of Dex make it on par with the heavy when str scaling is A?

I must be a masochist. Every time I finish a satisfying play session or a particularly cool area in this game I check the thread to talk about it only to find out that whatever I liked apparently sucks ass according to everyone else. What a bummer haha.

Was just thinking to myself 'Man,
Cathedral of the Deep
was fucking awesome, wanna rave about on here....oh...ahh...ah shit...this one sucks TOO? Not again'.

Ok so darkrift vs black blade. One seems to do 4 more damage the other seems to do 1 more bleed damage. Is darkrift just straight out better?

Ogawa-san

How far are you people that don't care about PvP leveling up?

I'm at 118
thanks to free levels (10 of them because I failed once)
, and I don't want to screw myself up too much on co-op options. But the souls are pilling up fast in NG+ with nothing to buy...

E92 M3

I must be a masochist. Every time I finish a satisfying play session or a particularly cool area in this game I check the thread to talk about it only to find out that whatever I liked apparently sucks ass according to everyone else. What a bummer haha.

Cathedral of the Deep
was fucking awesome, wanna rave about on here....oh...ahh...ah shit...this one sucks TOO? Not again'.

Everyone has different opinions. That area is actually one of my favorites.

I'm at 118
, and I don't want to screw myself up too much on co-op options. But the souls are pilling up fast in NG+ with nothing to buy...

I'm at 100 with around 5.6 million souls currently.

Newboi

I feel sad that I haven't continued to play DS3. I've been playing through the Bloodborne DLC, so I wanted to finish that before I really got in to DS3.

Question, are the side quests really easy to miss, or fail, in this one? The thing I liked about Bloodborne was that none of the optional areas or NPCs were overly obtuse to find, and that the few side quests there were were pretty straight forward.

Lastly, how viable are dual weapon builds in this game? Dark Souls has always seemed to reward defense and patience over sheer offense.

Zeliard

Few notes after PVP

1) people who heal during fight clubs are idiots and deserve to get run over by a bus
2) people who use quality builds with insane stamina + clamors are booooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrring
3) fight clubs are a fun environment when assholes are doing #1

This is why I like staying at around the mid-level SL ranges for PvP duels. When you get to the higher levels, the silly shit starts to really come out (high stamina estoc spam, high stamina greatshield turtle, high stamina big weap + hornet ring parry spamathon, etc).

There's some of that at lower levels but it isn't nearly as egregious due to the stat investment you need. I've been having a blast at the mid levels.

I'm at 118

Need to know this too, most of the time it is between levels 90-120... Been asking but no one has said the level or location. I'm currently level 85 so I do not want to waste stat points and over level.

Sephzilla

This is why I like staying at around the mid-level SL ranges for PvP duels. When you get to the higher levels, the silly shit starts to really come out (high stamina estoc spam, high stamina greatshield turtle, high stamina big weap + hornet ring parry spamathon, etc).

There's some of that at lower levels but it isn't nearly as egregious due to the stat investment you need. I've been having a blast at the mid levels.

Low to mid-level PVP is infinitely more fun.

mxgt

Banned

Cathedral of the Deep

Cathedral
is one of the best areas in the game and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

Zocano

Yah I was having the same trouble/realization last night. I dunno why I bothered though because I ran into this problem/realization in Dark Souls 1 and 2. I've never liked the "end-game" pvp meta for those reasons.

Hmm I also have the Dark Sword and debating if I want to make it heavy or refine. My str is only at 43 and my Dex is at 20. Does the leveling up of Dex make it on par with the heavy when str scaling is A?

Check here to see how you want to do it.

I think the refined B/B is better than losing DEX scaling for STR A only.

Not sure though since you have so much more STR than DEX...

Neoweee

There was any difference in sotfs? I only played through sotfs once.

Launch was def best.

A lot of subtle placement changes. I think the caster range is reduced a fair amount, as well.

I think Launch was overtuned, just based on how negative of a response it got. I really hate the "use a bow" strategy, but it seems like that was the go-to for many players. The homing turn radius was just too much.

That entire sequence (Castle, Shrine, Crypt) was one of my favorite stretches, but I don't miss the initial version.

Cathedral of the Deep

I think that is regarded as a great zone. Kind of loses some of its luster on replays just because of how long it is. I have no urge to go through that with my Sorcerer, because that just sounds super tedious.

What's considered mid-levels? Thinking about doing a pvp character for the first time in my DS history. Didn't enjoy it much when I got invaded late game with a +8/9/10 weapon but perhaps I should try for a lower level thing then.

Question, are the side quests really easy to miss, or fail, in this one? The thing I liked about Bloodborne was that none of the optional areas or NPCs were overly obtuse to find, and that the few side quests there were were pretty straight forward.
The side quests in this game are fairly easy to miss. I didn't complete any in my first playthrough.

Cathedral of the Deep

The Cat
hedral
is a wonderful area. Damn though, when you first get in, I wish there was a closer shortcut/bonfire, it felt like the area went on forever before getting the second shortcut. Loved the tense area and the layout though.

I also liked
Undead Settlement
though because of how big it was and all the secrets to be found. I think most people didn't like that one as well :p

Cathedral
is one of the best areas in the game and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion but damn, I can't even objectively see how that's not a great 'level'. It's absolutely gorgeous on top of it. The boss fight was great as well, especially the feeling of lobbing a Black Firebomb into a giant mass of 30 priests.

I feel sad that I haven't continued to play DS3. I've been playing through the Bloodborne DLC, so I wanted to finish that before I really got in to DS3.

Lastly, how viable are dual weapon builds in this game? Dark Souls has always seemed to reward defense and patience over sheer offense.

I used a katana and a straight sword in each hand for the firt part of the game, now I'm in the middle of it and I'm using a katana two handed because it outleveled the other sword and the game requires no mercy now. :p

There are specific dual weapons but so far I haven't found any good ones so I've made my own. I'm in the same field as you in terms of character interest I think.

Zocano

What's considered mid-levels? Thinking about doing a pvp character for the first time in my DS history. Didn't enjoy it much when I got invaded late game with a +8/9/10 weapon but perhaps I should try for a lower level thing then.

Lower is definitely the way to go, I think. SL30 is a hot spot (because of Farron Keep) and SL 50 is another.

mxgt

Banned
Do you know where to find
the pyromancer in this area?

She's locked in a cell right near the end of the area in a large room with 5--6 Jailers. You find the key in the next area (Profaned Capital), then you can backtrack and free her.

Taruranto

Do you know where to find
the pyromancer in this area?

If you mean
Karla (She's not exactly a Pyro), she's on the lower level, the room with all the jailers before the Profane Capital. In a cell on the right side, it's a bit hard to see.

Fuser

I'm trying to summon in some help to kill a boss later on but it's only working 1 in 20ish times ("Unable to Summon" or nothing happens at all). Is this a bug? Leaving area and reentering doesn't appear to help.
Never used summoning before in a Souls game as I usually play them offline, so not sure if this is normal or not!

The Cat
hedral
is a wonderful area. Damn though, when you first get in, I wish there was a closer shortcut/bonfire, it felt like the area went on forever before getting the second shortcut. Loved the tense area and the layout though.

I also liked
Undead Settlement
though because of how big it was and all the secrets to be found. I think most people didn't like that one as well :p

I just finished
Cathedral
and am now a bit into the swamp to Farron Keep and I can't say I even mildly disliked a single area yet. I'd like to see more verticality again at some point but
Cathedral
was great in that aspect.

Neoweee

Obviously everyone has their own opinion but damn, I can't even objectively see how that's not a great 'level'. It's absolutely gorgeous on top of it. The boss fight was great as well, especially the feeling of lobbing a Black Firebomb into a giant mass of 30 priests.

That is a minority opinion, though. It isn't hard to just be wildly overpowered by the time you fight it, to the point where you can just run in slashing.

Is it like DS2 where I get asked to enter NG+ or is it like DS1 where it just rolls over to NG+?

You get asked.

LiK

I'm trying to summon in some help to kill a boss later on but it's only working 1 in 20ish times ("Unable to Summon" or nothing happens at all). Is this a bug? Leaving area and reentering doesn't appear to help.
Never used summoning before in a Souls game as I usually play them offline, so not sure if this is normal or not!

Basically other people summoned them before you. Once you see a sign show up, summon it fast or else it won't work.

Leven fucking 50 and Mimics are still the most fucking fear inducing enemies in this entire game.

I mean shit do they scale WITH you or something?!?

Can you reinfuse something? Because I went heavy since I'm doing str but I may switch to quality for that B/B

I think you can. There's that gem that removes infusion, but I'm not sure if you even have to remove the old infusion. Would be awful if you couldn't switch infusions.

sora87

Leven fucking 50 and Mimics are still the most fucking fear inducing enemies in this entire game.

I managed to get my hp high enough to survive their nom nom grab attacks and kicks in the end when I was mopping side things up. Still scary as fuck though.

Dahbomb

Cathedral of the Deep
These areas IMO are really great stuff:
High Wall Lothric
Lothric Castle
Undead Settlement
Archdrake Peake
Cathedral
Irythyl Valley
Irythyl Dungeon (minus those Jailers)
Grand Archives

Areas I didn't care for or didn't like as much:
Road of Sacrifice/Farron swamp
Catacombs
Untended Graves
Demon Ruins/Smoltering Lake
Anor Londo (?) (Haven't fully explored it yet though)

I would say the middle third is probably the weakest of the game as you have the
Swamp/Smoltering Lake/Catacombs
all near each other.

LiK

Cathedral of the Deep

I found that entire area unremarkable. I don't hate it but I thought the boss was super lame.

Jyrii

Banned
Just beat Dea
cons of the Deep
and Hig
h Lord Wolnir

Both were actually pretty easy battles. The former I did on the first try, but the latter took some tries as I couldn't see the
poison fog
(?)

Onemic

They're pretty easy to dodge tbh. Their attacks have so much windup that it's extremely easy to just roll past and attack until they die. Not to mention that they have terrible accuracy if you're right up in their face.

Of course if you ever fuck up and get hit it's pretty much instant death.

If you mean
Karla (She's not exactly a Pyro), she's on the lower level, the room with all the jailers before the Profane Capital. In a cell on the right side, it's a bit hard to see.

She's locked in a cell right near the end of the area in a large room with 5--6 Jailers. You find the key in the next area (Profaned Capital), then you can backtrack and free her.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom