• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i'm currently fighting
Nameless King
during one of my runs to the door I noticed a developer message telling me
not to ring the bell if I wanted to follow the path of the dragon.
What exactly am I missing out on?

you can summon an NPC if you go the other way, if you kill all the enemies with him on your way to the top and do the gesture with him you progress the dragon questline.

I'm a little late on this but it doesn't matter much what you do there.
I did not summon Hawkwood and just killed them all myself and still got the reward. Didn't affect the questline as far as I could tell since I still found him later for the end of his sidequest. I did this after killing Nameless King (who was the toughest boss for me) so I don't really think that affects it either.

Lord Phol

Noooo just lost my first souls! 20k because I didn't know you lost souls when invading x.x (got invaded myself just right after and died). On a more jolly note I just kicked someone off a cliff! Was summoned as a mad guy and helped this dude out up until he had to go and stand by a ledge. Usually don't do stuff like that but couldn't resist, so I walked right up and kicked him off xD. Duty Complete!

Man the run up to
Pontiff Sulyvahn
is killing me I have actually only been able to fight him once because I keep getting killed on the way to him. Anyone have any tips to make it easier?

Jellie

Man the run up to
Pontiff Sulyvahn
is killing me I have actually only been able to fight him once because I keep getting killed on the way to him. Anyone have any tips to make it easier?

Have you unlocked the shortcut? There should be only 1-2 enemies on the way there.

Auctopus

Man the run up to
Pontiff Sulyvahn

On the other side to which you arrived at the boss room, there is a staircase that goes down to a gate that you can open. This provides a clear path from
The Church of Yorshka.

Nameless

Lost 65k souls yesterday, that was fun :p
I hate the I
rithyll Dungeon

What's worse The Jailers in this or the Brain Maiden's in the Bloodborne?

for me it's not close. My BB character was basically God w/ a greatsword and I still ran from the Brain assholes if I could. Couldn't even imagine a room full.

Manu

Man the run up to
Pontiff Sulyvahn

Sounds like you didn't find the shortcut that goes directly to
Yorshka's Church.
It's a short run from there with four enemies, tops, and you can just run through it.

kencey

I noticed i had a Fallen Knight Helm and Trousers and my inventory, then i googled where to find the armor and gloves and i'm dissapointed to find out you get the whole set from a corpse but theres nothing there... glitch ?

On the other side to which you arrived at the boss room, there is a staircase that goes down to a gate that you can open. This provides a clear path from
The Church of Yorshka.

Ah thats what I get for not exploring more. I just get too excited every time I get close to a boss and immediately run in.

Kaibutsu

holy shit Smouldering Lake is horrible, not the actual lake part but the dungeon. I really shouldn't have beaten the boss solo first because I would really like to roll through that area with a crew. I helped someone last night go through the area and it was super easy...

for me it's not close. My BB character was basically God w/ a greatsword and I still ran from the Brain assholes if I could. Couldn't even imagine a room full.

Hah, well they suck both but The Jailers have this fucking nasty attack which can wreck you in seconds. The room where
Karla was, with 6 Jailers and a mimic was hell.

Jolkien

I need some help, sorry for the noob questions guys. I found a pretty good shield
(Twin Dragon Greatshield)
awesome magical defense. Anyway t obring it's physical guard absorption to 100 ?

Arjen

The Brain Maidens were definitely worse.

Dimmle

The J
ailers
become a pretty funny joke if you have an ultra greatsword or similarly weighty weapon. You can knock them over like pins.

blahness

For me its the mind flayers in DeS. They can devistate you right quick if you dont keep your distance and plan your attack.

https://youtu.be/nFKoLowFCPU?t=19s

yCrmtKq.jpg

krakov

For most of the game, sure. It does absolutely stupid damage to enemies (especially if you're hilariously overleveled like me)

But I'm at the final stretch, and the enemies have simply been too fast for it and they're tough enough that they can take a few hits from it. The only thing it's got going for it is reach and power. Everything else, the slowness, the recovery time, the high stamina cost, doesn't stagger much, and it's all killing me here, often literally. I haven't tried the normal swords, but from what I hear, they do marginally less damage fully upgraded and scaled, with a lot more benefits in other areas. I wanted to do a Guts build, and I'll see it through, but for a series that's so clearly heavily inspired by Berserk it's handicapped by the fact that they didn't incorperate is that Guts is a lightning fast motherfucker even with that sword. for me, I'm just over it at this point.

Good thing about Cathedral sword is that with a higher scaling in STR, and virtually no scaling in DEX, I might be able to get more out of it with a heavy gem and a stat respec.

Also, is there any way to sheath the sword on your back other than using a bow? I like putting my sword away when I'm not using it.

I did my first playtrough with the Greatsword. It's not always easy sure but it's a great weapon. Are you really arguing that the sword should be lightning fast because it is in Berserk? That would be some of craziest talk I've ever heard.

Just get a dark sword then or any straight sword. Cathedral sword won't make anything better, I promise.

laxu

Lost 65k souls yesterday, that was fun :p
I hate the I
rithyll Dungeon

How the hell are you able to rack up that much? Do they just throw them at you later on in the game? I'm at
Irithyll Dungeon
and the most I've had is like 30k at once after farming Farron Keep Perimeter for quite while trying to get that Dark Sword (which seems to have great stagger but is still nowhere near as good as my fire Uchigatana +4).

PS. Bring a fire weapon to
Irithyll Dungeon
, everyone there is just way too cold.

Boogdud

The talk of losing souls reminded me. About 5 hours into the game I had a ton of souls built up (around 48k which at that level was huge). I decided to buy some firebombs because they were cheap and useful and only 50 souls each!! Well when I bought them I just hit the down button to buy as many as I could, figuring it would do like the old games and just buy as many as I could hold. Then I saw ALL of my souls disappear after the message stating I bought more than I could carry.

I didn't realize that the overflow would go to the bonfire stash. So after finishing the game I still have like 800 firebombs in my stash...

Lesson learned.

How the hell are you able to rack up that much? Do they just throw them at you later on in the game? I'm at
Irithyll Dungeon
and the most I've had is like 30k at once after farming Farron Keep Perimeter for quite while trying to get that Dark Sword (which seems to have great stagger but is still nowhere near as good as my fire Uchigatana +4).

PS. Bring a fire weapon to
Irithyll Dungeon
, everyone there is just way too cold.

I'm using the Dark Sword, racked up so much because of the Silver Serpent ring too, also mimics and all the special enemies which dropped insane souls.
Yes you get a lot of souls later in the game, easy to get souls and even leveling up.
Oh thanks for the advice, already done with it though next step would be
Yhorm the Giant.

Ushay

Guys, I just started out and am considering a Faith build. Are there any good weapon combinations that scale well with Faith? Or should I just go another route?

LiK

So apparently the guy who says he's the "true dragon" has infinite fucking stamina. Anyone want help?
Are you talking about H
awk
something? He chugs on Estus a lot. The only thing to do is to interrupt him while he tries to heal. I didn't have too much trouble with him. Got him first try.

Veelk

Banned
I did my first playtrough with the Greatsword. It's not always easy sure but it's a great weapon. Are you really arguing that the sword should be lightning fast because it is in Berserk? That would be some of craziest talk I've ever heard.

Just get a dark sword then or any straight sword. Cathedral sword won't make anything better, I promise.

Should it be? Of course not, that would fuck the balance right in the butt. I'm not dumb, I understand basic game design and balance.

Do I want it anyway? Oh yeah. For myself atleast.

But at the end of the day, I don't enjoy using it. I'm sticking with it and using for my character, but I don't think I'll ever do a heavy weapon build again unless it's got some perk like more staggering or something, or it's buffed in damage. As it is, against the late game enemies atleast, it's not doing what I need it to. And even before then, it's gameplay is so much more monotonous than what I was used to in bloodborne which had a skill build. BB had me dodging, manuevering, etc as I fought enemies, constantly thinking what to do next. With the GS, the solution is always get 2-3 hits in. If it's not dead, then run away, regain stamina, hit again.

I tried a fast weapon in BB and I liked it, now I tried a slow weapon in DS3 and I didn't, so it's clear where my tastes lie now. Had to try it to find out, but now I have.

laxu

The talk of losing souls reminded me. About 5 hours into the game I had a ton of souls built up (around 48k which at that level was huge). I decided to buy some firebombs because they were cheap and useful and only 50 souls each!! Well when I bought them I just hit the down button to buy as many as I could, figuring it would do like the old games and just buy as many as I could hold. Then I saw ALL of my souls disappear after the message stating I bought more than I could carry.

I didn't realize that the overflow would go to the bonfire stash. So after finishing the game I still have like 800 firebombs in my stash...

Lesson learned.

I guess you could've sold them to one of the sellers and got at least some of it back.

What are some top tier PvP weapons to design a build around?

The Twin Katanas and Twin Straight sword seem strong. Rapiers in general if you want to be a pain. Then any of the really large weapons since they have armor during certain animations. That's what I've seen at least.

Are you talking about H
awk
something? He chugs on Estus a lot. The only thing to do is to interrupt him while he tries to heal. I didn't have too much trouble with him. Got him first try.

He means
Hawkwood
, also need to do his sidequest.
Well at least now I know he has infinite Estus usage, great :p

MrHoot

So far i've been loving dark sword,
gundyr's
hallberd, the
twin prince
sword especially. Also hyper aggresive twin daggers with bleed. It's not always effective but it's funny to be hyper aggressive with them.

The hallberd also has a really good moveset with which you can bluff and trick your opponents, especially it's L2 lunge. You can either just have a stab forward or press R2 midway and it becomes a huge almost 360 sweep. That and it's range and relatively high power makes it a really nice pvp weapon that is fun to use

LiK

He means
Hawkwood
, also need to do his sidequest.
Well at least now I know he has infinite Estus usage, great :p

Yea, that guy. He reminded me of that NPC in Demon's who also had unlimited healing lol

Goddamn you guys, now I want the Dark Sword too. Guess I'll farm for it tonight just to see what the fuss is about.

Yea, that guy. He reminded me of that NPC in Demon's who also had unlimited healing lol

Goddamn you guys, now I want the Dark Sword too. Guess I'll farm for it tonight just to see what the fuss is about.

Yeah he has the same attitude than the guy from DeS lol, all theatric.

Hehe, if you get the Dark Sword, use a refined gem for infusing, so the scaling will be better. I have a Quality build and it racks up nicely.

krakov

Should it be? Of course not, that would fuck the balance right in the butt. I'm not dumb, I understand basic game design and balance.

Do I want it anyway? Oh yeah.

But at the end of the day, I don't enjoy using it. I'm sticking with it and using for my character, but I don't think I'll ever do a heavy weapon build again unless it's got some perk like more staggering or something, or it's buffed in damage. As it is, against the late game enemies atleast, it's not doing what I need it to. And even before then, it's gameplay is so much more monotonous than what I was used to in bloodborne which had a skill build. BB had me dodging, manuevering, etc as I fought enemies, constantly thinking what to do next. With the GS, the solution is always get 2-3 hits in. If it's not dead, then run away, regain stamina, hit again.

I tried a fast weapon in BB and I liked it, now I tried a slow weapon in DS3 and I didn't, so it's clear where my tastes lie now. Had to try it to find out, but now I have.

That's reasonable. Since it seems you've gone sort of quality. Just take a quiet moment to try out the weapons you have and stick with whatever you like. The upgrade system is very flexible in DS3 and you can respec so it's quite easy to change focus. Almost any weapon is good on a quality build which makes it a great platform for experimenting.

So far i've been loving dark sword,
gundyr's
hallberd, the
twin prince
sword especially. Also hyper aggresive twin daggers with bleed. It's not always effective but it's funny to be hyper aggressive with them.

The hallberd also has a really good moveset with which you can bluff and trick your opponents, especially it's L2 lunge. You can either just have a stab forward or press R2 midway and it becomes a huge almost 360 sweep. That and it's range and relatively high power makes it a really nice pvp weapon that is fun to use
If you want something like the halberd you may as well go for the swordspear. It has pokes and slashes, it's got your back on move set. On top of all that it has aspecial attack that not only does damage, but buffs the weapon in the process. The few times I've run to it I always have a hard time.

taybul

Did I kill the A
ncient
W
yvern
the long way before realizing it was another gimmick fight? I sure did.
I had a feeling you could skip him given the enemies in the area but I didn't want him breathing fire everywhere while I explored so I was set on killing it. Saw that he couldn't go down the staircase on the right and fought him there.

johntown

Banned

Lots of people using the Darkwraith sword. Another popular greatsword (I think maybe the Farron GS) one has some OP low spinning move that seems nearly un-dodgable. I think it may be a boss weapon but I see pvp streamers using it to and wrecking people. If you get hit once by it your stunlocked.

Veelk

Banned
That's reasonable. Since it seems you've gone sort of quality. Just take a quiet moment to try out the weapons you have and stick with whatever you like. The upgrade system is very flexible in DS3 and you can respec so it's quite easy to change focus. Almost any weapon is good on a quality build which makes it a great platform for experimenting.

Can't. Told you, I'm married to the concept of my character, if not it's execution. Until I beat the final boss, it's Greatsword of one kind or another, or bust. I'd have ditched the GS a while ago otherwise.

daninthemix

Got to say, my favourite addition is enemies fighting each other. I was braced to take on a silver knight, he lunged at me, fell off into the lava below and then starting fighting that Black Iron NPC dude. I sat on the bridge above and watched.

Totally! I just passed a room with like 6 jailers at once and it was fairly easy, didn't even die there. After that I died against another foe and had to pass the jailers again and I just outrun them easily.

Brain maidens are fucked but so are those goats in this game than jump. What makes them so bullshit is the hit detection for that fucking grab is not even close to accurate. I've had it miss by 2-3 meters and my character just slides back over to then and they eat like half my health. So dumb you can't break out of it.

MrHoot

If you want something like the halberd you may as well go for the swordspear. It has pokes and slashes, it's got your back on move set. On top of all that it has aspecial attack that not only does damage, but buffs the weapon in the process. The few times I've run to it I always have a hard time.

Nameless's weapon ? Doesn't it require some faith tho ?

Grief.exe

Found an in depth post on gamefaqs detailing some good PvP weapons

I have been PvPing all the time, since level 15. There is a lot to PvP right now, and there are more good PvP weapons than in DS2 imo. I have my own favourite tools for PvP, however I am very good in PvP so some weapons many of you here consider good, I consider a trash for PvP. If we talk about high level PvP with no-target fighting, using blind spots, parry baits, often parries than we have weapons that are no longer good:

- Dark Sword, Sunlight Sword, straight sword without thrusts. It is so EASY to parry it, parry bait it and poke them that I sigh every time I see another DS
- Farron GS- I will say only that Rapier, Estoc, spear, anything fast with range destroys Farron GS (and most heavy weapons). Even katana is good counter, you just have to either parry them or time attack while they are in animation recovery from first spin (window is tigh but once you get it- gg)
- Heavy swing weapons without range- easy to destroy
- Spear/halberd thrust spammers- easy to dodge and parry, very predictable

Now, If we talk about higher level PvP those are my top favourite weapons SO FAR:
- Rapier- it is always meta and will be, range, speed, stunlock, poke, parry baits, main-hand or off-hand. I have it in slot for Farron/Straight swords R1 spammers and heavy weapon users.
- Lothric straight sword- absolutely beast- unparryable Arts (like in all SS), thrust attacks with good range in R2 (and fast), fast R1 attacks like standard SS, rolling thrust and 110 critical damage shared with rapier and veeeeery few weapons in game. Two handed thrusts. Leo ring and Hornet ring works wonder for it and after parry it will do TON of dmg thanks to 110 CD.
- Carthus Shotel - absolutely great weapon for Shield Turtles and parry spammers. It deals damage through shields (like all Shotels) and its weapon art is unparryable (like with all curved swords except for dancer swords), making it great for parry spammers. You see guy that hide behind shield or try to parry you all the time. Take out shotel and keep hitting him with L2 + R2. It R2 in weapon art will make wide swing attack with gap closer- you can catch everything around you in 180 degree and you gap close to rolling back guy
- Astora greatsword- man....this baby....this baby.... Thrusts with R2 and then pancake with following R2. Wide swings to use blind spots, two-handed and one-handed thrust, HUGE range, fast chasing attack and BEST- Great Lance weapon art. Absolutely beast! Only minus- its art can be parried.
- Estoc, Sellsword twinblades, Old Wolft Greatsword/curved greatswords, great scythe are also great. Same is with long heavy strength weapons (especially Black Knight Great axe Art is great). Duel Maces are not bad, but easy to predict and poke with Rapier.

Uchigatana and washing pole are also not bad, I would put them in my personal tier 2-3. They are however easy to parry and their arts are parryble.

All my favorite weapons so far work great with Leo Ring (Lothric- thrusts, rapier- thrusts, Astora- thrusts), Flynn ring and hornet (Lothric and Rapier 110 crit dmg). And shotels thanks to their unparry arts and ignoring shield- are great in DS3.

I use quality build 40/40 (but plan to get more Dex for sharp rapier better dmg). Add to it if you can min-max 30 faith for Lightning Blade or Dark Moonblade buff and dmg skyrocket.

There is still STR weapons that I did not test but as far as DEX weapons and quality weapons go- those I mendtioned are imo best in higher lvl PvP.

All above is my opinion and experience

Hale_C

Man the run up to
Pontiff Sulyvahn

Run past everything. You don't need to fight anything at all on your way to him.

edit: Dammit, keep leaving the thread open and replying to old posts after the answer has given given 10 times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom