• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntown

Banned
Desaan said:
Oh god this. I'm convinced she is bugged it seems to be 50/50 whether or not she actually shows up. You can meet all the stated requirements in the guide/wikki and still not have her spawn. The amount of times I've gone back to Blightown just to check if she's spawned is beyond OCD.
You can try going to where she should be.....quit the game and reload it and she "should" show up if you meet the conditions. This worked for the Dusk NPC in my game.....her sign never showed up and then I did that and it appeared.

elty

I have read on multiple place saying a good way to farm souls is to farm the large shard, break it down to small shards and feed it to the kingseeker. But I thought each shard only worth 50 souls?

scy

corrosivefrost said:
Also of note, killing Lautrec with the invasion *or* killing Gwynevere counts as a sin. I was clean prior to going to Anor Londo -- I cannot tell you which did it, but the priest now wants 216000 souls to clear my sins. :lol

Doesn't he always want your souls, regardless of you having a sin or not?

Kyoufu

Desaan said:
Oh god this. I'm convinced she is bugged it seems to be 50/50 whether or not she actually shows up. You can meet all the stated requirements in the guide/wikki and still not have her spawn. The amount of times I've gone back to Blightown just to check if she's spawned is beyond OCD.

She doesn't show up after you beat Bed of Chaos.

knitoe

Desaan said:
She appeared everytime for me. Do you have pyro gloves +10 and haven't killed the bed of Chaos Boss?

johntown

Banned
elty said:
I have read on multiple place saying a good way to farm souls is to farm the large shard, break it down to small shards and feed it to the kingseeker. But I thought each shard only worth 50 souls?
The best and fastest way to farm souls IMO is helping players defeat the end bosses. I got over 100,000 in less than a half hour by helping people beat the Four Kings.

maomaoIYP

I'm a little disappointed that the most powerful weapons are simply the lightning or fire upgraded ones (if you don't count chaos). I had one of each during my first playthrough and not a single upgraded boss weapon I had by the time I reached NG++ beat them out. The only exception was that the Darkmoon Bow +5 beats a longbow +14 in terms of pure numbers, but somehow it did less damage when I used it.

That being said I liked the variety of weapons compared to Demon's Souls, and quite often I would use a crappier weapon just for the fun of it. Also quite a few of the boss weapons are very beautiful, especially both spears. I still prefer playing a character with lots of finesse though, I found the greatswords way too slow to be fun.

kyubajin

Sigh... I just spent like 1-2 bloody hours trying to take on Smough & Ornstein without success.

I'm using the heaviest armour I can wear, a Raw +5 Halberd and since I have no humanity... 5 Estus Flasks +1. The closest I've been was killing Ornstein, only to get pwned by Smough right away.

I'm considering going back to Undead Burg and farm humanities or something.

johntown said:
You can try going to where she should be.....quit the game and reload it and she "should" show up if you meet the conditions. This worked for the Dusk NPC in my game.....her sign never showed up and then I did that and it appeared.

I might try this. Thanks.

Kyoufu said:

Not applicable, since I'm in NG+ and just received the lordvessel.

scy said:
Doesn't he always want your souls, regardless of you having a sin or not?

No. If you have 0 sin, the game will tell you you have not sinned instead of asking you to pay 2000x your SL.

Xanathus said:
This is incorrect.

Once you talk to her and get fire tempest, she leaves and doesn't come back.

Raxus

maomaoIYP said:
I'm a little disappointed that the most powerful weapons are simply the lightning or fire upgraded ones (if you don't count chaos). I had one of each during my first playthrough and not a single upgraded boss weapon I had by the time I reached NG++ beat them out. The only exception was that the Darkmoon Bow +5 beats a longbow +14 in terms of pure numbers, but somehow it did less damage when I used it.

That being said I liked the variety of weapons compared to Demon's Souls, and quite often I would use a crappier weapon just for the fun of it. Also quite a few of the boss weapons are very beautiful, especially both spears. I still prefer playing a character with lots of finesse though, I found the greatswords way too slow to be fun.
Have you gotten the composite bow? It is the strongest regular bow out of them all.

Desaan

Kyoufu said:

Yeah but she wasn't there before then either. On my first play through she
gave me a story type quest involving her sisters and the bed chaos and after killing it and returning she gave me chaos firestorm. Once you have bought all the spells off her she leaves stating that you have learned all she has to teach.

She wasn't there before killing Quelag, she wasn't there after killing Quelag. My pyro hand was +12 most of the game, all spells learned from the swamp pyromancer in Firelink.
I even let him go hollow by telling him about the chaos fire whip spell I got from killing one Quealna's sisters in Lost Izalith and he goes off to Blightown in search of his former master.

scy

finalozzo said:
mh, how do i open the door before priscilla?

Enter the
courtyard and to your immediate left is a staircase leading up. Go that way and then take the ladder down into the sewers. You'll be in an open room with a bunch of pillars and those goddamn wheeling skeletons. Clear them and then use the lever/wheel to open the door. There's two things of note to find down there in the sewer area if you want them; the Annex Key and the Pyromancy: Fire Surge.

Edit: Just in case.

Dresden

kyubajin said:
Sigh... I just spent like 1-2 bloody hours trying to take on Smough & Ornstein without success.

I'm using the heaviest armour I can wear, a Raw +5 Halberd and since I have no humanity... 5 Estus Flasks +1. The closest I've been was killing Ornstein, only to get pwned by Smough right away.

Why are you using the heaviest armor you can wear? You want speed for Smough.

Yuterald

I wish the stat scaling wasn't so horrible in these games. I can't stand how pyromancy and sorcery is soooo much stronger than any other build. I also miss hyper mode from Demon's Souls, despite how broken it was, lol! The more times you clear these games the less effective armor becomes and I can't stand that.

Anyway, my brother and I were talking and he came up with a better idea regarding the poor scaling issues that plague this franchise. We both agree that ALL weapons should NOT have stat requirements. Everything should be able to be equipped from the time you acquire it. Instead, your weapons would scale and improve to your stats.

By doing this, obtaining equipment would feel more satisfying because you would be able to use it immediately. The equipment could still have rank modifiers and become stronger like it does already. I think this would solve some of the issues. Now, the armor problems, that's a whole other argument/discussion in itself.

maomaoIYP

knitoe said:
The Giant Armor Set +5 is the highest and it weighs less.

But only after upgrading, hardly worth it isn't it? Besides, an upgraded antiquated dress is probably the best armor to have by the end of the 1st playthrough.

Raxus said:
Have you gotten the composite bow? It is the strongest regular bow out of them all.

I did, but it had poor range compared to the longbow, and I was playing a dex build, hence I preferred the A scaling. Also, a longbow's D/A scaling beats out Blackbow of Pharis' E/S scaling. Imagine the disappointment I had when I upgraded that to +14 as well.

knitoe

Xanathus said:
This is incorrect. There is a pyro spell that she gives only after you beat Bed of Chaos.
No.
You have to see her before killing the boss. After seeing her and coming back, talk to her about free her mother and sister from the boss. Once you kill the boss, you get the last pryo spell, but if you don't see her before the boss, the events get screwed.

I'm in need of some guidance people. First and foremost I'm not sure where to go next - I've beaten:
The Bell Gargoyles and the Butterfly boss, but I can't really make out where to go next. Londo seems to hard at the moment. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not sure on how to spec my character. For now I've been focusing mainly on STR/DEX and lately been putting points into VIT/END. Where should I go from here?

Lastly, have been using the Drake Sword forever - can you reccomend a "next step" weapon?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
...huh, go figure. Every character I have is a dirty rotten sinner and I never even noticed it.
I am constantly paying for my sin of accidentally aggroing the pyro trainer in the Depths because I HAVE NO GODDAMN PYROMANCY FLAME/GLOVE/WHATEVER for my entire playthrough.

TheNamelessOne said:
I'm in need of some guidance people. First and foremost I'm not sure where to go next - I've beaten:
The Bell Gargoyles and the Butterfly boss, but I can't really make out where to go next. Londo seems to hard at the moment. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not sure on how to spec my character. For now I've been focusing mainly on STR/DEX and lately been putting points into VIT/END. Where should I go from here?

Lastly, have been using the Drake Sword forever - can you reccomend a "next step" weapon?
You're going the wrong way for the second bell. There should be a side path down from undead burg (or was it undead parish), which leads you into some streets with thieves and dogs. Go from there.

You're good for the Drake Sword for a good long while more. Stat scaling weapons still pretty much suck unless you have ridiculously high stats in the area that scales, so if you want to put your stats elsewhere, you may want to simply upgrade a weapon to +10 and enchant it with lightning instead. But you can't do that yet, so stick with the drake sword for now.

maomaoIYP

Akuun said:
I am constantly paying for my sin of accidentally aggroing the pyro trainer in the Depths because I HAVE NO GODDAMN PYROMANCY FLAME/GLOVE/WHATEVER for my entire playthrough.

You can get one from Eingyi just after Quelaag.

yeb

Tip for anyone that hasn't done the Catacombs yet:

There's actually a really nice Divine weapon that most people don't even realize they pick up (including me on my first playthrough.) You find an Occult Club in
Anor Londo, the same room as Havel's armor I believe.
You can go to a blacksmith and downgrade it to Divine +5, which is the highest you would even be able to make at that point in the game. Clubs don't have great attack animations, but at least the skeletons crumble and I was able to kill them in one back stab too. It's so much easier than making your own Divine weapon or dealing with the reviving skeletons.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
Also of note, killing Lautrec with the invasion *or* killing Gwynevere counts as a sin. I was clean prior to going to Anor Londo -- I cannot tell you which did it, but the priest now wants 216000 souls to clear my sins. :lol

killing havel is a sin

knitoe

maomaoIYP said:
But only after upgrading, hardly worth it isn't it? Besides, an upgraded antiquated dress is probably the best armor to have by the end of the 1st playthrough.
No. Not worth it, but if you want the best, that's the one. I prefer the Elite Armor +10
because it offers the highest armor rating without having a stamina recovery reduction. And, antique set is good if you are a casting and/or want to stay under <25% load.

Akuun said:
You're going the wrong way for the second bell. There should be a side path down from undead burg (or was it undead parish), which leads you into some streets with thieves and dogs. Go from there.

You're good for the Drake Sword for a good long while more. Stat scaling weapons still pretty much suck unless you have ridiculously high stats in the area that scales, so if you want to put your stats elsewhere, you may want to simply upgrade a weapon to +10 and enchant it with lightning instead. But you can't do that yet, so stick with the drake sword for now.
Oh yeah! That's where I need the residence key - right? I was meaning to check that out, but totally forgot about that place. Thanks!

So I guess I'll stick with Drake Sword for now and focus on character development. For a melee character, what balance should I go for in VIT/END/STR/DEX?

bj00rn_

Banned
I loved this game so much that I thought I'd have the gaming-stamina to play it until next year.. ..But then yesterday I went to Northern Dead Asylum, fell through a floor, got raped by a demon and lost all my humanity.. And now for some reason I have no desire to play the game again. Oh well.

maomaoIYP

TheNamelessOne said:

Unless you have the master key gift, you need to beat the Capra demon that's in the basement in the Undead Burg, and then move into the depths, followed by blighttown. If you do have the master key, just go to blighttown directly from new lono ruins, although I do recommend the long route down, there's lots of items to pick up along the way.

How you spec your dude depends on what kind of weapons you fancy. Take enough STR/DEX to use whatever weapon you like, then start putting points into VIT/END. You'll more more health and armor as you go along.

Finalow

scy said:
Enter the
courtyard and to your immediate left is a staircase leading up. Go that way and then take the ladder down into the sewers. You'll be in an open room with a bunch of pillars and those goddamn wheeling skeletons. Clear them and then use the lever/wheel to open the door. There's two things of note to find down there in the sewer area if you want them; the Annex Key and the Pyromancy: Fire Surge.[/spoiler[

Edit: Just in case.
oh, i didn't see the sewers. thanks.

shiroryu

It's awesome how even the sound you make has an effect in the game world. Walk around clinking in armor and enemies will hear you. Walk around in robes and you can sneak up on any enemy. Brilliant design.

mollipen

Mortrialus said:
Chaos Witch Quelaag is a complete monster that kidnaps and tortures innocents by laying eggs in them, which then hatch and consume the host alive. She is basically a giant wasp, and I fucking hate wasps.

I, uhm... I'm not sure I see the problem. So our Lady requires a little bit of sacrifice for her greater good, and for the good of the world. Maybe you should stop being so disappointingly selfish.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
yeb said:
Tip for anyone that hasn't done the Catacombs yet:

There's actually a really nice Divine weapon that most people don't even realize they pick up (including me on my first playthrough.) You find an Occult Club in
Anor Londo, the same room as Havel's armor I believe.
You can go to a blacksmith and downgrade it to Divine +5, which is the highest you would even be able to make at that point in the game. Clubs don't have great attack animations, but at least the skeletons crumble and I was able to kill them in one back stab too. It's so much easier than making your own Divine weapon or dealing with the reviving skeletons.
Nice. Thanks, I'll do that. I was gonna throw that club into storage and forget about it, anyway.

x3r0123 said:
killing havel is a sin
Also of note, killing Lautrec with the invasion *or* killing Gwynevere counts as a sin.
I have been such an asshole in this game and I never even knew. XD Havel was self-defense! The guy flattened me as soon as he saw me!

Also, I don't understand why killing Lautrec is a sin. The guy was a murderer.

maomaoIYP

knitoe said:
No. Not worth it, but if you want the best, that's the one. I prefer the Elite Armor +10
because it offers the highest armor rating without having a stamina recovery reduction. And, antique set is good if you are a casting and/or want to stay under <25% load.

Oh I never wear a full set, I actually mix and match so that I get max armor and stay <50%. I ended up taking Ornstein's helm, the Gold Hemmed Robes, Smough's gaunlets, and the Antiquated Dress +5. This put me at ~330 physical def. If I REALLY needed a big armor boost I'd put on Havel's ring and stick on Smough's armor to get ~400 physical def. I never really needed it though, and I preferred the stealth that the light chest pieces offer.

x3r0123 said:
killing havel is a sin
No it is not.

corrosivefrost said:

Killing anything that attacks you first is never a sin, with the exception of Gwyndolin. Killing anything that doesn't attack you first IS a sin, with the exception of Priscilla. Killing Lautrec only counts as a sin if you killed him without invading into his world. You got your sin from Gwynevere.

Switters

kyubajin said:

If you really want to cheese Ornstein get a Crystal ring shield and the occult club found in a chest in Arnor Lando. Doesn't do anything to Smough, but it should take the pressure off that fight. I soloed them yesterday. For Smough, tie him up around the pillars and rush him for a few hits after he does his charge.

Wallachia

Alvina's Forest Covenant:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Forest+Hunter

So I joined last nite. Very cool. Love how she talks and purrs creepily at the same time. I was summoned every 2 minutes to fight invaders! Best online summoning performance yet! But then I was summoned in a fight with 4 people. One of them must have been a fellow Forest Covenant member, and I hit them on accident. After that I was banished from the Covenant. No shit that one infraction deems you as a traitor :(

Well, another reason to do NG+ I loved that Covenant..

krakov

kyubajin said:

You could start using the first bonfire in Anor Londo, the walk is pretty much the same and I think it gives you 10 flasks instead of 5. You can also farm humanity in the painted world.

Ourobolus

Banned
Really, really dumb question, but how do I upgrade my weapons? I'm at the Bell Gargoyles and haven't encountered a blacksmith or anything yet...

Septimius

So my friend is playing a STR based character, but he's having a hard time finding a good STR weapon. He's not yet reached Anor Londo, but he's not far off. Does anyone have a suggestion of what weapons he should consider?

Septimius

Ourobolus said:
Really, really dumb question, but how do I upgrade my weapons? I'm at the Bell Gargoyles and haven't encountered a blacksmith or anything yet...

There's a blacksmith straight across the court-yard from the church.

There is also one that's accessible from the first time you reach firelink:
Go down and pass the bonfire lady, continue down the stairs and take the elevator down to New Londo. In this very first part there is a set of stairs that go to nowhere, but there's a window with a smith sitting inside

Mattdaddy said:
I got killed the other night by some invader. He had a little dinky rapier looking sword and I was blocking with my eagle shield. most of his hits registered at full power even when attacking me head on. I assumed he had some spell or item that negated or reduced blocking effectiveness, but maybe it's just this.

i never heard about that kind of spell. my blocks rarely got registered head on. i won't bother with a shield from now and just 2H or try going for luck based parries, seems to be the best solution. i'm almost done, might as well cope with the shittyness :)

Ourobolus

Banned
Septimius said:
There's a blacksmith straight across the court-yard from the church.

There is also one that's accessible from the first time you reach firelink:
Go down and pass the bonfire lady, continue down the stairs and take the elevator down to New Londo. In this very first part there is a set of stairs that go to nowhere, but there's a window with a smith sitting inside
What church? The building where the Gargoyles are? I just remember there being a lever for the door, and that's it...
The only path I've taken so far was to the Undead Burg, took out the Taurus Demon, then continued on to the Bell Gargoyles.

Wallachia

Summoning was working great this weekend for me, for a change. But only in Blighttown. Maybe it's because I was level 40, and alot of others in the area were close as well. Lot of fun fighting Quelaag with others.

I tried summoning in other levels and no go. This happen to anyone else - good summoning in some sections and not others? What gives?

krakov

Septimius said:
So my friend is playing a STR based character, but he's having a hard time finding a good STR weapon. He's not yet reached Anor Londo, but he's not far off. Does anyone have a suggestion of what weapons he should consider?

Large club, dropped by the ogres in blight town scales A with strength and has pretty decent starting stats as well. Also has a pretty good advancing horizontal swipe.

Barrett2

NervousXtian said:
You hit the same point I did!!

Depends on what you haven't done, you can bust out Catacombs/ToTG pretty quick if you have a divine weapon, the bust ass through Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith and then it's just a straight shot to the end.

I suggest Chaos Cov and 30 humanity to open the short cut to Lost Izaith though.. allows you too pretty much skip all of LI.

Edit: Oh, you still have New Londo... have fun.

What's the easiest way to farm / acquire humanity?

So should I do New Londo before Lost Isaith?

I have a divine club, though i'd like to have something better to tackle the catacombs again. Who forges divine weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom