• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psy-Phi

Wallachia said:
Alvina's Forest Covenant:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Forest+Hunter

So I joined last nite. Very cool. Love how she talks and purrs creepily at the same time. I was summoned every 2 minutes to fight invaders! Best online summoning performance yet! But then I was summoned in a fight with 4 people. One of them must have been a fellow Forest Covenant member, and I hit them on accident. After that I was banished from the Covenant. No shit that one infraction deems you as a traitor :(

Well, another reason to do NG+ I loved that Covenant..
Absolve your sins with the fellow at the first Bell Tower. It will cost your Soul Level x2, but it's worth it to fix an infraction. Love that they added that in as opposed to the "you're fucked if you hit an NPC accidentally, with a good weapon" that Demon's Souls had.

Septimius

Ourobolus said:
What church? The building where the Gargoyles are? I just remember there being a lever for the door, and that's it...
The only path I've taken so far was to the Undead Burg, took out the Taurus Demon, then continued on to the Bell Gargoyles.

When you're looking at the church (the building where the Gargoyles are) while standing at the gate with the lever, there's a path going from the right both inside the church and outside. After a few enemies, you'll see a long bridge, and that's where the blacksmith is.

knitoe

lawblob said:
What's the easiest way to farm / acquire humanity?

So should I do New Londo before Lost Isaith/
Constantly respawning baby skellies in room right before Tomb of Giants boss.

As area, guide says New Londo first, but it's up to you.

Divine are modify by smith before Darkroot and Sen fortess.

shiroryu said:
It's awesome how even the sound you make has an effect in the game world. Walk around clinking in armor and enemies will hear you. Walk around in robes and you can sneak up on any enemy. Brilliant design.
Love this also. It's so weird how one game can have absolutely genius implementation of concepts in one area, and then completely drop the ball in other areas.

Septimius said:
So my friend is playing a STR based character, but he's having a hard time finding a good STR weapon. He's not yet reached Anor Londo, but he's not far off. Does anyone have a suggestion of what weapons he should consider?

Don't sweat it over finding an A scale (and I never even saw an S scale in the whole game, though there must be one). My STR warrior uses a Battle Axe, upgraded to (at the time I did Anor Londo) +10. I later upgraded it to Lightning Axe +5 which your STR doesn't matter, as there is no longer any scaling. If you like the spear you can dump some ore into upgrading it to +4 or +5 before going to Anor Londo, or option B would be to have the smith in Catacombs make you a fire weapon.

x3r0123

maomaoIYP said:
No it is not.

Killing anything that attacks you first is never a sin, with the exception of Gwyndolin. Killing anything that doesn't attack you first IS a sin, with the exception of Priscilla. Killing Lautrec only counts as a sin if you killed him without invading into his world. You got your sin from Gwynevere.

then how would you explain that i always have to pay an amount whenever i only kill him? Also, i didn't kill lautrec or another npc

lawblob said:

So should I do New Londo before Lost Isaith?

I have a divine club, though i'd like to have something better to tackle the catacombs again. Who forges divine weapons?
I found the three rats near the hellkite bonfire to be the easiest. It's about one minute round trip. I've farmed thirty humanity there in an hour before.

My problem now...? Grinding for rare weapons. I managed to get all the Silver Knight things and am only missing one Black Knight weapon (stupid Halberd)...the ones giving me trouble are the regular Ghost blade...(I hate those ghosts anyway) and the Trident (which I found ONCE but was killed by some crystal asshole!) Oh dear...maybe I'll grind for more humanitys...=/

My view one invaders: Some of them I fight are extremely nice (they will let me fight of the other enemies, and then beckon me over to fight) while, mainly the 'Wraith' types are pure assholes, taking advantage of any lag...and then letting enemies finish me off (at least have the decency of killing me yourself!)

When I invade for Dragon scales, I generally stick to a distance, analyze the person, and if they are ready, we fight. I win some, and lose some, but overall have fun. As a courtesy, I always bow before, and after, the fight =p

Ourobolus

Banned
Septimius said:
When you're looking at the church (the building where the Gargoyles are) while standing at the gate with the lever, there's a path going from the right both inside the church and outside. After a few enemies, you'll see a long bridge, and that's where the blacksmith is.
Ah, gotcha. Damn, my corpse is inside the boss room. Maybe I can get enough souls along the way to get an upgrade or two for my weapon. Thanks!

johntown

Banned
lawblob said:

So should I do New Londo before Lost Isaith?

I have a divine club, though i'd like to have something better to tackle the catacombs again. Who forges divine weapons?
1. Tomb of the Giants right before Nito the little baby skellys

2. Yes do New Londo before Lost Izalith

3. Andre the Blacksmith

RedSwirl

So I have a plan to deal with those goddamned Gargoyles at the top of the Parish.

See, I kinda wasted all those Gold Pine Resins I got earlier. Didn’t know what they were and accidentally used a couple. Well shit, guess those Charcoal Resins I got from the insane Irish zombie merchant girl in the sewer will have to do.

I’ve got three humanities and I think at least one summon stone thingy. I just gotta get up there and through the elite guard and that gaggle of zombie slave dudes without dying ONCE. That big-ass knight dude used to be there but disappeared after he knocked me off that narrow bridge. Huh.

Also, for some reason I have not encountered one arrow so far in this game. My entire time playing I’ve had absolutely no means of ranged combat. None.

sillymonkey321 said:
Beat Seath by myself but didn't get the tail because i didn't know about it Xo. Was easy to outright kill him though.

Seath is both easy and really hard. If you just kill him, he's pretty easy. If you try and get his tail for the sword, man it was hard! It doesn't come off easy, and when you DO hit it he gets mad and does a big tail attack that you can't seem to block.

Wallachia

Psy-Phi said:
Absolve your sins with the fellow at the first Bell Tower. It will cost your Soul Level x2, but it's worth it to fix an infraction. Love that they added that in as opposed to the "you're fucked if you hit an NPC accidentally, with a good weapon" that Demon's Souls had.

Thanks man.. just x 2? or x 2000 or something?

I really wish you didn't have to stick around the same area to be summoned to help someone take out a boss. Eiher that or let hollow characters summon you but at half health or something. I never get summoned and I don't have the patience to just sit there.

I'm level 60, where should be hanging out to provide assistance to someone when I decide to give it another shot?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Nobodyspatzy said:
My view one invaders: Some of them I fight are extremely nice (they will let me fight of the other enemies, and then beckon me over to fight) while, mainly the 'Wraith' types are pure assholes, taking advantage of any lag...and then letting enemies finish me off (at least have the decency of killing me yourself!)

When I invade for Dragon scales, I generally stick to a distance, analyze the person, and if they are ready, we fight. I win some, and lose some, but overall have fun. As a courtesy, I always bow before, and after, the fight =p

Yea, I just like to keep in mind that as far as the rules the game sets, anything is fair. Any courtesy from an invader is extra, I usually don't bow or anything before a fight but I do wait for a guy to finish fighting enemies and give him a chance to heal up. An even bout is more fun than just rushing and destroying an unprepared guy.

RedSwirl said:
So I have a plan to deal with those goddamned Gargoyles at the top of the Parish.

See, I kinda wasted all those Gold Pine Resins I got earlier. Didn’t know what they were and accidentally used a couple. Well shit, guess those Charcoal Resins I got from the insane Irish zombie merchant girl in the sewer will have to do.

I’ve got three humanities and I think at least one summon stone thingy. I just gotta get up there and through the elite guard and that gaggle of zombie slave dudes without dying ONCE. That big-ass knight dude used to be there but disappeared after he knocked me off that narrow bridge. Huh.

Also, for some reason I have not encountered one arrow so far in this game. My entire time playing I’ve had absolutely no means of ranged combat. None.

Okay, just to add some clarification:

1) You need to be human to summon, not have humanities.
2) The "summon stone thingy" I assume you mean the white soapstone? Even though it says "1" it is unlimited use for that one item, however what it does is make a mark so YOU can be summoned. If you want to summon someone else you have to be human, and find someones summon mark.
3) Neither the black knight nor the sorcerer in the parish respawn. If you didn't kill the sorcerer yet I would suggest you do that BEFORE you change to human, since if you die it will make it much easier to get past that part.
4) Enemies won't drop ammo like arrows, you have to buy them. There are two merchants in the game that I know of that can sell arrows, there is one right near the bonfire in Undead Burg (Look for the roof with the two spearmen soldiers on it, below the stairs from where the bonfire is).
5) Ranged combat is weak, you use it mainly for pulling or the odd time when you have a shot aiming down and can cheese an enemy when they can't fight back.

Wallachia

Yo Gotti said:
Yea, I just like to keep in mind that as far as the rules the game sets, anything is fair. Any courtesy from an invader is extra, I usually don't bow or anything before a fight but I do wait for a guy to finish fighting enemies and give him a chance to heal up. An even bout is more fun than just rushing and destroying an unprepared guy.

Yeah, I love invasions.. so tense and scary.

K' Dash

Yuterald said:
I wish the stat scaling wasn't so horrible in these games. I can't stand how pyromancy and sorcery is soooo much stronger than any other build. I also miss hyper mode from Demon's Souls, despite how broken it was, lol! The more times you clear these games the less effective armor becomes and I can't stand that.

Playing as a melee only is a HUGE mistake in this game, I made a Sword of Artorias to go thru New Londo Ruins and it requires indecent amounts of faith and inteligence, wat?

I seem to find pyromancies and spells all the fucking time, but no decent weapons, WHY?

I've been helping people at S&O fight and 2 or 3 fights I've been slaying them while the pyromancer is WAY back with a fucking pyromacy that reduce the framerate to the single digits and make WAY too much damage, fuck that shit.

Should I know this game would punish me so much for using sword and shield with no harry potter bullshit I'd have made a pyro char and call it a day, maybe I would have finished it by now...

Now I'm waiting for the patch to make things like they should be... yeah right...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Wallachia said:
Thanks man.. just x 2? or x 2000 or something?

soul level x 2000

It can get expensive, but you can easily get the souls if you use one of the soul farming spots. (since the forest convenant is already mad at you, you can use that area)

Beats

RedSwirl said:

There's a merchant in the Undead Burg near the bonfire. Next to the two spear wielding undead is a hidden staircase that leads to him. He sells a short bow, and some arrows.

johntown

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:
I really wish you didn't have to stick around the same area to be summoned to help someone take out a boss. Eiher that or let hollow characters summon you but at half health or something. I never get summoned and I don't have the patience to just sit there.

I'm level 60, where should be hanging out to provide assistance to someone when I decide to give it another shot?
The Painted World or possibly New Londo ruins but when I was around that level I got summoned a lot. Possibly New Londo too but I was getting summoned a lot there in the late 60's early 70 SL.

Sullichin

Is SL60 too high to get summoned for Anor Londo boss? I want to help a couple of people out so I can get humanity and then summon someone myself. I only have 1 humanity :( I'm guessing it's best to clear out the enemies in the room before the boss and put the sign on the stairs?

Is there a way to speed up pyro casting? It takes me like 5 seconds to fire a ball, when I looked at vids on Youtube it seemed like they were casting a lot faster than me.

Xanathus

Sullichin said:
Is SL60 too high to get summoned for Anor Londo boss? I want to help a couple of people out so I can get humanity and then summon someone myself. I only have 1 humanity :( I'm guessing it's best to clear out the enemies in the room before the boss and put the sign on the stairs?
You don't need to kill stuff in your own world, put your white sign at the bottom of the great staircase outside.

Kyoufu

DigitalDevil said:
What the hell is going on in this video? Looks like a lot of standing around to me.

The guy is wearing the exact same gear as the covenant NPC Shiva. So the invaders think that the guy is just an NPC. It gets even better when he drops items for them and they still don't realise. :lol

knitoe

DigitalDevil said:
What the hell is going on in this video? Looks like a lot of standing around to me.
The guy pretends to be NPC Shiva, who normally stands there, and the invaders both fall for it. It would have been better if he could have killed the invaders.

Kyoufu

PumpkinPie said:
Is there a way to speed up pyro casting? It takes me like 5 seconds to fire a ball, when I looked at vids on Youtube it seemed like they were casting a lot faster than me.

DEX makes your pyro cast times shorter.

K' Dash

Sullichin said:

I'm level 63 and I'm getting summoned there a lot, I'd say to put your summon sign and wait for a little while, I use my TV PIP and watch some while I wait.

Kyoufu said:
The guy is wearing the exact same gear as the covenant NPC Shiva. So the invaders think that the guy is just an NPC. It gets even better when he drops items for them and they still don't realise. :lol
Oh, lmao!!

burgerdog

johntown said:
The best and fastest way to farm souls IMO is helping players defeat the end bosses. I got over 100,000 in less than a half hour by helping people beat the Four Kings.

I think I just helped someone kill an NG++ or +++ Nito because I received 80k souls. It's usually just 20k.

Oracle Dragon said:
Seath is both easy and really hard. If you just kill him, he's pretty easy. If you try and get his tail for the sword, man it was hard! It doesn't come off easy, and when you DO hit it he gets mad and does a big tail attack that you can't seem to block.

A tip on the tail of Seath: Use either a Lightning weapon (his main weakness) or a good fast cutting weapon that will make him bleed (extra damage...but then again, I do not know if he does bleed, but it seems to to me..=p) and just two hand hit a few times, roll away, repeat.

I was cheap...I use a Lightning Flamberge (with great effect) and I thankfully had enough stamina when I 'blocked' with the sword during those tail slams, I would survive, heal up, and continue (the exception is his rare combo of crystal AoE attack, followed by tail smash...yeah =/)

I helped three people with the tail cut so far...two died grabbing the sword, and the other, wiser one, grabbed it after Seath fell =p

Wallachia

K' Dash said:
I'm level 63 and I'm getting summoned there a lot, I'd say to put your summon sign and wait for a little while, I use my TV PIP and watch some while I wait.

Yeah I learned to wait around after I lay the sign down, walk around my place/do things.. usually after 3-5 minutes I hear the game go silent, to the summon load screen and YES!

But, you guys, I think some of you might be getting more summons than others because of your NAT Type, yes?

RedSwirl

Oracle Dragon said:
Okay, just to add some clarification:

1) You need to be human to summon, not have humanities.
2) The "summon stone thingy" I assume you mean the white soapstone? Even though it says "1" it is unlimited use for that one item, however what it does is make a mark so YOU can be summoned. If you want to summon someone else you have to be human, and find someones summon mark.
3) Neither the black knight nor the sorcerer in the parish respawn. If you didn't kill the sorcerer yet I would suggest you do that BEFORE you change to human, since if you die it will make it much easier to get past that part.
4) Enemies won't drop ammo like arrows, you have to buy them. There are two merchants in the game that I know of that can sell arrows, there is one right near the bonfire in Undead Burg (Look for the roof with the two spearmen soldiers on it, below the stairs from where the bonfire is).
5) Ranged combat is weak, you use it mainly for pulling or the odd time when you have a shot aiming down and can cheese an enemy when they can't fight back.

The sorcerer is dead, I'm talking about that regular elite knight, and there's a summon mark right before the Gargoyle boss right?

Sullichin

K' Dash said:

Ok. I guess I'm not being patient enough.

johntown

Banned
Sullichin said:
Ok. I guess I'm not being patient enough.
Maybe......maybe not. Sometimes I can summon pretty constantly and then there are other times where I wait and wait and wait and nothing.

Finally finished the game.

I thought it was good but not as good as Demon's souls. The framerate was a mess in 10% of the game. The way the world is open is cool but really frustrating when you don't know where to go next. There should be some explanation sometimes... Also fuck crystal caves.. how was i suppose to know the invisible bridges without reading about it on the net first... Anyway, loved it but not a fan like with demon's souls.

x3r0123 said:
killing havel is a sin

didn't register as one for me. I checked my sin when I went in stopped in there to buy karmic retribution or whatever (again) and I got no sin (twice). My sins only popped up after going to Anor Londo and killing Lautrec and Gwynevere. :\ Oh well, fuck it, I'm not paying it. :lol

johntown said:
Sounds like NG+ I knows the souls go up a lot on the fist NG.

General multipler for my NG+ is x3 from first run.
If he got x4, it might be NG++.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Oracle Dragon said:
I would like to add the fact that despite it being relatively weak, I find arrows VERY useful. Besides the aforementioned luring, there are enemies I wouldn't have been able to beat without arrows and poison arrows. I'm in a DEX build too, so they do somewhat decent damage per hit, though obviously it still doesn't compare to a melee weapon.

RedSwirl said:
The sorcerer is dead, I'm talking about that regular elite knight, and there's a summon mark right before the Gargoyle boss right?

The Baldur knight you mean, the one on the stairs? Just wait for him to clang off your shield and hit him back once, then repeat. If he holds his sword different he will parry you... in that case do your jump attack he can't parry it.

There is a NPC summon sign right before the boss door, yes.

For the Gargoyles your best bet is to be aggressive, don't try and defend from them. Block/dodge the first hit he does, then turn OFF lock-on, run to his back side, and 2H your weapon... go to town. If he starts trying to breath fire, you can get him out of it by hitting him in the head. If you have the 1st one down by the time the 2nd one lands, it's pretty much wrapped up at that point. Only when they are both alive is the fight in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom