• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihos

Gold Member
widgetraf said:
Quick question: what is the best sword that scales with str? I've leveled to around 50 and brought my str to 30, did i pretty much fuck up my build? I've been reading that I should have focused on dex if I want to play a "quick" character, rather than a bulky tank with slow attacks.

I think just leveled up normal weapons (+15) scale with strength. You can always use the goop on them if you need elemental.

30 isn't really that high if you want to switch, though.

x3r0123

widgetraf said:
Quick question: what is the best sword that scales with str? I've leveled to around 50 and brought my str to 30, did i pretty much fuck up my build? I've been reading that I should have focused on dex if I want to play a "quick" character, rather than a bulky tank with slow attacks.

damage scaling sucks atm

Finalow

BeeDog said:
No, you either run back to the Vessel or you use a Homeward Bone. Or commit suicide.
yes but i mean, after i run back to the vessel, can i teleport to the firelink shrine? Or out of there.

MedIC86

Can anyone tell me if i can acces Firelink shrine from
anor londo?
and if so how can i do it (before killing the boss i mean)

Xanathus

Darklord said:
Wow, Those Phantoms fucked sucked against the Gaping Dragon.

Edit: And good god does it have a lot of HP!
Yeah, the Npc phantoms don't do well against it but on the other hand that boss is a push over solo, just stay at the sides. Also instaed of summoning the NPCs, maybe try summoning players ?

Kyoufu

MedIC86 said:
anor londo?

From where you came, talk to the gargoyle to return to Sen's Fortress.

Finalow

MedIC86 said:
anor londo?
there is not a shortcut so you have to go all the way back. (anor londo -> sen -> undead parish -> firelink)

MedIC86 said:
anor londo?
Theres a flying demon that will take you back to sens fortress at the beginning of the area where you dropped in.

scy

finalozzo said:
there is not a shortcut so you have to go all the way back. (anor londo -> sen -> undead parish -> firelink)

At the very least, there's shortcuts through all of those areas. It's still an annoying run :/

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I had a red phantom invade me while I was in Anor Lando. Instead of fighting me, he just kept following me around. He didn't even have any weapons equipped. He first found me while I was in a fight and could have easily finished me off, but he didn't even bother. He just kept watching me from the top of a staircase. He even followed me back to the bonfire room and cheered when I summoned another player to help me with Ornstein and Smough. Then he followed us both to the boss room and it looked like he tried to go into the fog with us. I didn't attack him cause I wanted to see if this had some purpose, but when we all went into the fog he was banished.

What was this? This guy just goofing off, or was their some purpose I'm not aware of?

Mihos

Gold Member
finalozzo said:
i'm at the final boss but i remember only now of this priscilla.

I only have 2 bosses left. Priscilla was pretty easy, I thought at least. I play purely melee, so maybe that is part of it.

sixghost said:
I don't even understand how you can be killed by the gaping dragon. I've fought it twice without even getting hit. Every single one of it's attacks are telegraphed beyond belief and are incredibly slow.
Was this way for me too, though maybe it's just because my general strategy for fighting bosses I've never seen
(stay as far away as you can, watch for opportunities to get behind the enemy, take a couple swipes, and run away)
is exactly what you need to do to beat him and is the obvious thing to do in a huge arena like that. He may have hit me with his tail once, but I don't think I ever had to use an estus. I kept waiting for something else to happen - it was too easy.

Mattdaddy said:
I had a red phantom invade me while I was in Anor Lando. Instead of fighting me, he just kept following me around. He didn't even have any weapons equipped. He first found me while I was in a fight and could have easily finished me off, but he didn't even bother. He just kept watching me from the top of a staircase. He even followed me back to the bonfire room and cheered when I summoned another player to help me with Ornstein and Smough. Then he followed us both to the boss room and it looked like he tried to go into the fog with us. I didn't attack him cause I wanted to see if this had some purpose, but when we all went into the fog he was banished.

What was this? This guy just goofing off, or was their some purpose I'm not aware of?
That is scarier than anything I have come across in this game.

Mattdaddy said:

Maybe scouting the level before running it himself?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
At the very least, there's shortcuts through all of those areas. It's still an annoying run :/
Make sure you throw the switches and open the doors locked from the other side when you leave. It'll make it much easier to get back.

Tunin

Mattdaddy said:
It's a choice, sometimes people invade you to actually help. This happened a lot in Demon's Souls, people cleaning the path for you to fight the boss, IMHO it's awesome.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wow, i just bought the
Boosting Sorcerer ring from the guy you save in the town near Undead Burg, and it really boosted my sorcerer attacks. At one boss i did 108 damage previously with my Soul Arrows, but with the ring i did like 158 damage. This will definitely help me since i've pretty much only concentrated my upgrades in Intelligence.

MedIC86

Manmademan said:
Theres a flying demon that will take you back to sens fortress at the beginning of the area where you dropped in.

Even after i shot him ? i kinda accendtly launched a fireball on him an he flew away

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Fong Ghoul said:
Was this way for me too, though maybe it's just because my general strategy for fighting bosses I've never seen
(stay as far away as you can, watch for opportunities to get behind the enemy, take a couple swipes, and run away)
is exactly what you need to do to beat him and is the obvious thing to do in a huge arena like that. He may have hit me with his tail once, but I don't think I ever had to use an estus. I kept waiting for something else to happen - it was too easy.

Yea I remember seeing him in the preview trailer and thinking that was the most terrifing creature I had ever seen. I thought it was some giant creature with a mouth like that and thousands of teeth. I was really dreading fighting it. Then it ended up being pretty anti-climatic.

Hey guys, did the game ever reveal where the Darksign came from?

knitoe said:
Unfortunately, NO. All it does is increase the damage which is pretty much useless.

That's a shame because that shield is my favorite, aesthetically. Why are almost all of the boss items garbage?

Kyoufu

knitoe said:
Unfortunately, NO. All it does is increase the damage which is pretty much useless.

Well it already has one of the highest stability ratings in the game, so no need to upgrade it.

johntown

Banned
finalozzo said:
geez, i can teleport to Nito's area but i don't think i can go up from there.
You have to go all the back through the Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants. I did this yesterday as a matter of fact and it was not near as bad as the first time I went through.

I finished the game with an Eagle Shield +8. I don't ever parry so I'm not concerned with that aspect of things and I appreciate a shield with low weight because I want to keep my equip burden under 50% (I always have Havel's Ring equipped). I'm usually cutting it pretty close because I like to wear nice, heavy armor and some of the weapons I use are fairly heavy as well, like the Black Knight Halberd.

Is there a better option out there for me shield-wise? I don't mind if I have to level my END a little more to use it, but obviously I don't want something twice as heavy as what I'm using now.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Mortrialus said:
Why are almost all of the boss items garbage?
I just put together Moonlight Butterfly's shield and that thing is pretty damn boss against anything that doesn't have a shield.

frequency said:
I played the entire game solo and had very little problem with the bosses. The levels themselves were way harder for me.
I just finished
Anor Londo
and I've soloed everything so far with the exception of the
Capra Demon
, which was the only boss that I had success summoning for. I've played through almost the entire game in Hollow form, really. That way I don't have to worry about invasions or losing humanity.

johntown

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
Are most bosses beatable solo?
There are a couple that might give you some problems. I have only had to summon for Orenstein and Smough and Quelaag. I was able to beat all the others by myself but I am sure I could have beaten the others on my own it would have just taken more time then I was willing to give it.

so i did some pvp for the reprisal marks. took me about 3 hours to get almost everything i needed. the invasions via the orb were pretty rare. the ring worked a bit better, which means one summon every 10 minutes for his game. too bad you were greeted with two spirits swinging 2H swords at your spawn point sometimes, or one guy casting a slow spell and killing you with it in one hit? what a weird game. i'll just assume there is no level restriction for ring invasions.

the collision detection was out of this world. if you you block, you lose, because your block doesn't register. put on 2H and wack away seems to be a better tactic here. the ring of fog doesn't matter if you're not a caster, swing away! whenever i won, i didn't feel like i've won anything, instead i just assumed the other player had an even shittier experience.

what a disappointment.

knitoe said:

Thank god I didn't waste any Demon Titanite on it. I was hoping it might be like the Eagle Shield where the first upgrade doesn't improve it but the rest do.

TommyT

NervousXtian said:
You hit the same point I did!!

Depends on what you haven't done, you can bust out Catacombs/ToTG pretty quick if you have a divine weapon, the bust ass through Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith and then it's just a straight shot to the end.

I suggest Chaos Cov and 30 humanity to open the short cut to Lost Izaith though.. allows you too pretty much skip all of LI.

Edit: Oh, you still have New Londo... have fun.

What's this about?

NeOak

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Also want to repost this, anyone that may be familiar way back with the awesome Japanese DeSo fan-maps, the guy is at it again. This link may have been lost in the other OTs, though I think I linked it originally in the OP. Anyway, he's slowly, but surely, putting up maps for DkSo, which are "under translation" - bookmark it.

http://www.kouryakubo.com/darksouls_en/index.html

Great info for those without the Strategy Guide.

scy

TommyT said:
What's this about?

The Chaos Convenant's second rank reward (along with the spell) is access to the shortcut to
Lost Izalith
. You bypass two bosses and all the lava. A few enemies in your way (+ 1x Titanite Demon/Prowling Demon) but otherwise a pretty straightforward run.

It takes 10 Humanity to get to Rank +1 and another 20 Humanity to get to Rank +2.

While you're taking that shortcut, kill the
nine maggots you see BEFORE zoning into Lost Izalith; this will get you the Sunlight Maggot helm (guaranteed drop from the red-eye maggot that is only there your first trip) for making the Tomb of the Giants easier as well as letting Sunbro not go hollow.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Augemitbutter said:
so i did some pvp for the reprisal marks. took me about 3 hours to get almost everything i needed. the invasions via the orb were pretty rare. the ring worked a bit better, which means one summon every 10 minutes for his game. too bad you were greeted with two spirits swinging 2H swords at your spawn point sometimes, or one guy casting a slow spell and killing you with it in one hit? what a weird game. i'll just assume there is no level restriction for ring invasions.

the collision detection was out of this world. if you you block, you lose, because your block doesn't register. put on 2H and wack away seems to be a better tactic here. the ring of fog doesn't matter if you're not a caster, swing away! whenever i won, i didn't feel like i've won anything, instead i just assumed the other player had an even shittier experience.

what a disappointment.

I got killed the other night by some invader. He had a little dinky rapier looking sword and I was blocking with my eagle shield. most of his hits registered at full power even when attacking me head on. I assumed he had some spell or item that negated or reduced blocking effectiveness, but maybe it's just this.

scy said:
The Chaos Convenant's second rank reward (along with the spell) is access to the shortcut to
Lost Izalith
. You bypass two bosses and all the lava. A few enemies in your way (+ 1x Titanite Demon/Prowling Demon) but otherwise a pretty straightforward run.

It takes 10 Humanity to get to Rank +1 and another 20 Humanity to get to Rank +2.

nine maggots you see BEFORE zoning into Lost Izalith; this will get you the Sunlight Maggot helm (guaranteed drop from the red-eye maggot that is only there your first trip) for making the Tomb of the Giants easier as well as letting Sunbro not go hollow.
You miss the lava entirely? Why would you want to cheat yourself from seeing the most well designed portion of the entire game?

TommyT

scy said:
Lost Izalith

Ah thanks!

Trevelyon

scy said:
Pinwheel Servants
should drop them.

Oh cool. PS3trophies only mention the slab drop in the room (which I used for divine reinforcement, now need one for occult) nothing about the
Pinwheel Servants
drops.

GAF+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom