• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
commish said:
Haha, yeah, thread title doesn't make sense. When you want to emphasize that something is fast, you compare it to something fast, e.g., faster than a speeding bullet. Same is true for slow - slower than a snail. You wouldn't say "slower than the speed of light"!

Seriously though, what armor are people using end-game? I don't want to spend shards upgrading armor that will be replaced relatively soon. I'm currently fighting the fat and skinny duo. Not sure if I've come across any end-game worthy armor yet.

I've still been using the Grim Reaper outfit you get by discharge but I sub in my Pyro gear for times when I need poison resist and then the other set (forgot name) when I need curse resist.

DoctorWho said:
But Dark Souls has reached OT3 faster than Reach. I don't know if DS has the legs to ever reach OT7. It will probably fizzle out early into OT5.

Maybe if FROM's patches come to fruition this can reach OT20. :(

aahaha, crazy business. I haven't even gotten my Limited Edition copy yet and this is at OT3... maybe i will wait until OT7 for an opportune moment to jump in.

Leunam

Thanks to people pointing out the shortcut to the Gaping Dragon yesterday, I was able to beat him in three tries. On the last attempt I summoned both Solaire and some help from that sunlight covenant. We made very short work of the boss.

I am pretty disappointed. 20 min and we are still on page 1 what is this shit?

Anywho good title, although I think the framerate problems in blighttown are overstated...

edit: thats more like it. 20 posts in 2 min to push me to page 2 lol

Natiko

Banned
Excited to get to play some more tonight, didn't get to at all yesterday. Currently in the middle of
The Archives

george_us

Akkad said:
I made the same claim in the other thread and people were treating me like Patches.
The framerate gets REALLY bad in Blighttown. Single digits bad. Ironically it doesn't really impact anything through because the framerate issues only happen you're walking around.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
duckroll said:
Oh, Nirolak, you should tell them about your plans for the thread in the coming week or so. Lol.

I'm curious now...

Famassu

My god, my copy hasn't even been delivered yet and we're already at OT3... >_>; Has any other game gone through OTs this fast? I don't even remember if I've seen one with OT3

Steroyd

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Couldn't stop laughing at the thread title because I recently just made it to blight town, and holy crap at that framerate. :lol

Fuck Blight town.

What is good armour and weapons to get early in the game, I've done the Minotaur boss rang the bell at the top... and i've still not got better armour than my bog standard at all, and I'm just getting laughably killed by everything. (Capra boss lol).

ElFly

Infinite_Daremo said:
Yup. Faster than your first Capra demon death maybe?

Im using Havel's armour and shield with a Large Club +10. Im a walking Golem.

Wait, where did you get havel's armor and shield?

I killed him and all I got was a sweet ring!

Famassu said:
My god, my copy hasn't even been delivered yet and we're already at OT3... >_>; Has any other game gone through OTs this fast? I don't even remember if I've seen one with OT3

check the community section

Evolved1

Steroyd said:
What is good armour and weapons to get early in the game, I've done the Minotaur boss rang the bell at the top... and i've still not got better armour than my bog standard at all, and I'm just getting laughably killed by everything. (Capra boss lol).

What's your class... and what are your top three or four attributes?

Sullichin

I'm all for making fun of blighttown's framerate in the thread title, but the phrase doesn't really make sense! Of course it moves faster than blighttown's framerate.

ElFly said:
Wait, where did you get havel's armor and shield?

I killed him and all I got was a sweet ring!

Anor Londo. Inside the castle theres a Kitchen/Storage room with a hidden wall in a fireplace. Below is the glorious armour and Dragon Tooth Hammer.

I am about to wrap up my game (but will probably spend another 10 hours grinding for upgrades and humanity first) and am itching to start a NG+. However, I just placed an order for the strat guide and who knows when that is going to come through. I know I missed a lot of content my first time through (mainly NPC dialogue and some items, and most every spell), so I want my next round to be very thorough. Should I just put my NG+ on hold while I wait for the guide, or is there a comprehensive online guide that covers each section in detail?

Also - NG+ or New character? I am not so interested in trophies so upgrading every weapon is not a priority, nor is leveling the covenants. I went DEX/END and upgraded the pyro to +15. Unfortunately due to the lack of scaling, the Fury sword and Lightning spear destroy everything so an END/VIT build would have been far better. Perhaps I should save a new character for after the patch is released...

ironcreed

Banned
Great thread title, lol. I'll be making a run at beating it tonight. Only Nito in the Tomb of the Giants and Gwyn remain. It has been a hell of a ride, but I am ready to beat it and enjoy some of the other Fall releases before heading into NG+.

Steroyd

Evolved1 said:
What's your class... and what are your top three or four attributes?

The Warrior... I think. Highest stat is Str 24, Dex 15, everything else is more or less flatlined at around the 10 mark.

Evolved1

Steroyd said:
The Warrior... I think. Highest stat is Str 24, Dex 15, everything else is more or less flatlined at 10.

Did you pick master key as your gift?

sorry for all the questions, but they're relevant...

Sullichin

SYNTAX182 said:
Well what do you know, I just got to Blighttown. Fuck me this area is terrible.

I hate this area. Definitely use the spider shield to protect from the poison dart assholes. Thankfully the area isn't really that huge before you fight a boss and can move on (still took me forever). Shitty framerate really made this area less enjoyable (but I probably would have hated it anyway)

Rektash

SYNTAX182 said:

The only thing terrible is the framerate, the area in itself is terribly awesome. Well executed, vertical level design.

oracrest

OT3 already!

I got close to killing the Hydra last night. I took my first real shot at him, and was able to cut the heads off pretty easily. The last two nailed me in the end though...

Sullichin

Rektash said:
The only thing terrible is the framerate, the area in itself is terribly awesome. Well executed, vertical level design.

Eh, the previous areas are more visually interesting. Maybe if it wasn't so dark and ugly.

Evolved1

Steroyd said:

Ok... well I would recommend (disclaimer: I'm still a new player and not using guides or anything) you get your hands on the
winged spear in the graveyard
(might have to be a suicide dash) and the shield you get from farming the early hollows in the burg is very good. You're starting armor is the best you're gonna see for a while if you want to play it like a tank.

If you go down the elevator and use the key to get out of New Londo, you can run and grab a
magic shield and sword next to the dragon
, but you must be quick to pick them up! The sword requires faith though...

Probably other people can tell you better... I don't know all the tricks... just playing and having fun.

Mother of all red knights you guys are insane (0)__(0)

So do you just have this thread open while you play, and post every time something happens?

I haven't started the game yet, but I cannot imagine playing it like that. What made Demon's Soul amazing was how I went in blind after viewing those JustinTV streams of the Asian version upon release.

At the time, many gaffers stopped by the OT to poke fun at the lag, lack of shadows....etc.

I left the OT, lurked back after beating the game and found all the "best game EVVAAR" posts.

Regardless, love the enthusiasm this game is getting.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Rektash said:
I had a feeling that the framerate there is intentionally made bad by FROM(LOL!), joyful reminiscence of Valley of Defilement!

ironcreed

Banned
SYNTAX182 said:

Lost Izalith is the worst area in the game for me. The framerate and poison swamp in Blight Town can be a pain, but I thought the overall design of Lost Izalith was the creative low point of the game.
The lava field full of T-rex looking demons that trounce you to death as you run around the lava looking for trees to run on and ruins to hide in just feels like a clusterfuck and half. The Bed of Chaos boss in the next section left a lot to be desired as well. Thankfully it was so easy that I was able to put that area behind me fairly quickly.

Otheradam

Akkad said:
I made the same claim in the other thread and people were treating me like Patches.

Just don't see how this is the case since the ps3/360 are all the same hardware wise, unlike PC where parts are different. So it should be consistently the same for everyone. Unless you just can't tell there is slowdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom