• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grampasso

Just found the
Basement Key. Don't have a clue what it opens. Maybe the locked door near the bridge with the Red Dragon? Or some door around the blacksmith with that creature casting lightning something...
After the Minotaur fight the game became so much better! Just found the blacksmith and fooled around, beaten that heavy armored knight in that kind of temple guarding a treasure and headed for the boss up there. Still have to face it though.
I suppose it's the Red Dragon since a hint near the white door stated the weak point is the tail

knitoe

demosthenes said:
Well I was Pyro, I equipped 3 fire spells and it took care of most of the enemies.

Though I have to go back and try again in the room w/ the large divine ember, died a couple times there and said fk it, couldn't target them and couldn't get down and launch an attack before dying.
Run / jump across the ladder, run along the top and drop down next to the emblem. Grab it before you get kill.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Rektash said:
Just do be clear: Does the drop rate increase or decrease with a killed boss?

Its a bit unclear but from the looks of things while the boss lives there will always be the possibility of getting 10 humanity drops from the monsters there.

Now I know you can farm way more than 10 humanity from an area, so what I suspect it means is that while the boss remains alive everytime you hit a bonfire/zone the count will be reset to 10, after the boss dies though it wont.

Long story short: Boss alive = unlimited. Boss dead = 10 per game cycle.

-UPDATE-

Info is on p21 of guide.

10 drop limit seems to apply per area, not per mob type.

See You Next Wednesday said:
I'm getting the guide soon. What is disappointing with it?

Lack of certain information?

I have the guide, and I'm rather impressed with it. Not sure what more you could want from it outside of a step-by-step hold your hand to every area or something.

The maps come with a walk-through of the area that gives you a general idea of what to do / where to go - but doesn't say exactly how to overcome most things.

The maps point out every item in the area (haven't noticed any omissions) and tells you how to get to most of them, and are a great reference.

It details every weapon / armor / shield / spell in the game. It also shows the stats at various upgrade points/paths at the 'milestone' points (ie: Base, +5, +10, +15 - but not every number in-between). Gives you a good sense of how items will turn out after upgrading them.

It has details on NPC interactions, the conditions to make them appear / progress the story, rewards, etc.

It details every enemy - their hit points, types of attack, how much damage they do, if the attack can be parried or not, and how each attack 'tracks' (left side, right side, both, neither) .

Details the stats, their effects, and charts to show how say Endurance affects Stamina/Equip Load.

Most, if not all of the info will end up on the Wiki - but having a physical copy is quite nice. The book itself is of great quality - nice thick cover, nice artwork, thick glossy pages. Best looking strategy guide I've ever seen.

Unless you are looking for things like "Running away from the Ceaseless Discharge
after grabbing the armor and backtracking to the Fog Gate will make him do a leap-attack, hang onto the edge of the cliff - leading you to killing him in 3 hits as he falls to his death
" level of detail - I don't know what else that the guide could have to make it better / more informative.

Possibly one improvement, would be better detailing on stat-scaling (although this seems like it is going to be patched/improved) but even a few examples of "X weapon with A scaling and stat at Z will do this damage" could be handy - but that is just getting nitpicky.

K' Dash

johntown said:
How much does it actually boost. I have a low VIT and END build and right now I use Havels Ring. Would this be like equal to that in some sense?

I just do want to put it on and then find out I can no longer roll and have to take it off.

Me too, I've been using all my souls on DEX and STR and it gives a great boost, I don't have the need to upgrade VIT anymore, I'm at anor londo and to be honest I'm more interested in attack power, can't wait to make my Iaito a Lighning Iaito.

knitoe said:
Run / jump across the ladder, run along the top and drop down next to the emblem. Grab it before you get kill.

Will my bloodstain be up high? Don't want to lose my stored humanity?

When I was jumping down and getting clubbed to death my blood stain was still up high.

bathala

Banned
frequency said:
I found this fight easier than I've been hearing. Maybe I just got lucky. I was so nervous going in.
But when
Ornstein phase 2 happens, I just stayed right under his feet. Whenever he was going to attack with his spear, I rolled behind him and used Greater Combustion for like 400-500 damage. When he jumped into the air, I just rolled twice to the side. Phase 1 was harder for me. I just had to learn to be patient for an opening to attack Smough without taking hits from Ornstein. I never used Iron Flesh. I can't imagine that fight without rolling. I stocked up on fast casting Pyro spells.
i'll fight them later n see which strategy works for me. maybe i should have equip great combustion

knitoe

K' Dash said:
Me too, I've been using all my souls on DEX and STR and it gives a great boost, I don have the need to upgrade VIT anymore, I'm at anor londo and to be honest I'm more interested in attack power, can't wait to make my Iaito a Lighning Iaito.
Don't bother upgrading the Iaito. Instead, get and upgrade the Washing Pole.

demosthenes said:
Will my bloodstain be up high? Don't want to lose my stored humanity?

When I was jumping down and getting clubbed to death my blood stain was still up high.
If it was there, should still be there unless you died some other time. And, humanity is easy to farm on the baby skeletons before the boss in Tomb of Giants. You have 99 in no time.

Darkkn

Bought this game because of this thread and i did not have to regret that decision! Loving the game so far, most striking part has been the pseudo open world.
It was amazing to find shortcut from dragon bridge to earlier bonfire. At first i thought that there is no way this shortcut made geographical sense(sneaky teleport), but after surveying environments more closely, it totally made sense. Mind blown!

Made my way all the way to dragon bridge without dying, but finally the flames got me after trying to get all the way to the other side and not to underside of the bridge. After a few tries i made my way to farside of the bridge and found a new bonfire, lovely. Finally died to awesome looking rhino.

Found some of the controls to be fiddly. Kicking with any consistency is impossible with ps3 controller and sometimes the 'action queue' feel too long as my knight sometimes goes for more strikes than intended. I tend to smash a button sometimes instead of just hitting it once when needed, game takes that smashing too literally :S

Can't wait to play more!

johntown

Banned
demosthenes said:
Sorry, YES! I thought of typing that but I didn't. Hint: Use light spell, rest @ bonfire to get full spells again. Light spell does not go away when you rest.
Yeah the light spell makes that level a lot easier. I used it too and I pity anyone who didn't or had to use the skull lantern.

DPsygnet

Anyone know if you actually Steal someone items when you kill them in the forest convenant or your getting a copy of a random item from their intentory ?

I kind of feel bad for someone (not really) I just killed, recieved 20 000 soul and the pendant item that you choose from the starting gift.

Gregorn

Is there anything I should do before finishing the game and moving onto NG+?

The last level looks sooooooooooo cool.

knitoe said:
Don't bother upgrading the Iaito. Instead, get and upgrade the Washing Pole.

If it was there, should still be there unless you died some other time. And, humanity is easy to farm on the baby skeletons before the boss in Tomb of Giants. You have 99 in no time.

Alright, I'll give it a go, and Washing Pole? I've seen this posted, what's good about it and where do you get it?

Spiffy_1st said:
Is there anything I should do before finishing the game and moving onto NG+?

The last level looks sooooooooooo cool.

Farm chunks on the last 5 black knights?

demosthenes said:
Alright, I'll give it a go, and Washing Pole? I've seen this posted, what's good about it and where do you get it?

Farm chunks on the last 5 black knights?

Shiva from Blighttown (under the waterwheel) if you are allied with the forest covenant, I think. And isn't it just a longer katana?

Infamous Chris said:
Shiva from Blighttown (under the waterwheel) if you are allied with the forest covenant, I think. And isn't it just a longer katana?

FFFFFF, I thought so. Yea I'm way past that, already killed Shiva :lol

With my main character at the point of collecting the four souls, I decided to start a new one and dink around with an Int based build. This game really does prove out that your knowledge base and skills leveling up are an improvement more than any stats being upped. I can walk around that world even at low levels with confidence and use my knowledge of the layouts of the world to my advantage heavily.

Since starting this character I've managed to get more Soul Arrows (easy), I used the master key to unlock the Valley of Drakes. From there, I got the items sitting at the feet of the zombie dragon there, then I ran into Blighttown and jump down a bunch of platforms and pick up the red cloth armor set plus the Remedy spell. Died there, respawned at Firelink, ran back through the valley, past the blue drakes and into the back door to the darkroot basin. I ate up all my collected souls, farmed a few more and ran past the demon to get to the blacksmith from the back way. Purchased my 20000 souls key, opened the door, farms enough souls to get me to SL30 and upgrade all my equipment with as far as shards would take me. I also managed to run and grab the stone armor set, the eastern armor set, the leather armor set and a ring of protection and favor. All before even getting close to the Taurus Demon fight. The master key is such a sequence breaker.

Posted this in the last OT, but never got any replies. :(

Got a question for everyone here, after reading a lot of discussion about weapons/elemental attributes/and scaling.

My character is a beast. My current STR is about 73 and my Dex is around 73, as well. I primarily use a Black Knight Halbred+5. But, I want to experiment with some new stuff and possibly give some elemental weapons a try. Is my level too high to really see any true results, though, that would be above what I have now? On regular enemies I'm dishing out close to 500 per shot, and with bosses I clock in around 250-350.

Any advice is appreciated!

PS - and what's the ring/spell that lets a player basically be semi-invisible and prevents lock-on? Fought a Black Phantom with that last night and it was super annoying.

Dresden

demosthenes said:
Just beware that its scaling is shit and that it should be modified into an elemental weapon to take advantage of that. It's basically a longer katana.

The Iaito is a fine weapon, you really can't go wrong with it imo. I mean, the R2 is SO SEXY.

K' Dash

DPsygnet said:
Anyone know if you actually Steal someone items when you kill them in the forest convenant or your getting a copy of a random item from their intentory ?

I kind of feel bad for someone (not really) I just killed, recieved 20 000 soul and the pendant item that you choose from the starting gift.

Now that you're doing that covenant, I have some questions:

-Can Alvina summon you anytime in any part of the game?
-What happens if you get killed?

and the most important:

-Can I get the NG+ bug if I get summoned?

johntown

Banned
K' Dash said:
Me too, I've been using all my souls on DEX and STR and it gives a great boost, I don't have the need to upgrade VIT anymore, I'm at anor londo and to be honest I'm more interested in attack power, can't wait to make my Iaito a Lighning Iaito.
Yeah I pump points into DEX and INT but I am considering putting some more into VIT before NG+.......considering my VIT is only at 14.

Dresden said:
Just beware that its scaling is shit and that it should be modified into an elemental weapon to take advantage of that. It's basically a longer katana.

The Iaito is a fine weapon, you really can't go wrong with it imo. I mean, the R2 is SO SEXY.

Was thinking of making the Iaito my +15 weapon. Made my Murakumo (sp?) into fire yesterday.

Excko

Infamous Chris said:
What's the differences between Emit Force and Force?

Derp :(

According to the guide, Force is just in front of your characted, while Emit Force emits a force ball ahead of the character, and is very ineffective at close range.

So basically

Force : short range
Emit Force : medium range

Sullichin

bathala said:
if u freed the knight in the parish and follow the event that unfolds. once in anor londo u fight to get the ring

Oh, ok, looks like it will be coming up as I'm in Anor Londo now. Thanks.

K' Dash

Dresden said:

Dat bleeding effect dude...

homer-drool.gif

So I beat blighttown last night, I don't see all the fuss it wasn't hard at all. Took me 2 tries to beat
qualog
, however the title here is very fitting, shitty framerate indeed lol.

Will I be able to get lightning put onto my scimitar in Sen's fortress? I'm using a Iaito +5 right now because my scimitar is only +7 but I wanna be prepared. Also, is there any merchant that sells Large Titanite Shards? Or do I have to farm them? (Idk where).

atomsk

Party Pooper
oh sure, I keep getting invaded in Dukes Archive (and that first dude ate a Great Fireball to the face and died) but god forbid somebody lay down a soul sign to help me out

=(

johntown

Banned
K' Dash said:
Now that you're doing that covenant, I have some questions:

-You can be summoned anytime in any part of the game?
-What happens if you get killed?
No only in the Forest Area where all the NPC's are.

If you get killed while invading you don't lose anything and you just go back to where you were.

Don't know about NG+ bug but now you have me worry because I have been summoned killed players and been killed myself.

scosher

Darkkn said:
Bought this game because of this thread and i did not have to regret that decision! Loving the game so far, most striking part has been the pseudo open world.
It was amazing to find shortcut from dragon bridge to earlier bonfire. At first i thought that there is no way this shortcut made geographical sense(sneaky teleport), but after surveying environments more closely, it totally made sense. Mind blown!

Made my way all the way to dragon bridge without dying, but finally the flames got me after trying to get all the way to the other side and not to underside of the bridge. After a few tries i made my way to farside of the bridge and found a new bonfire, lovely. Finally died to awesome looking rhino.

Found some of the controls to be fiddly. Kicking with any consistency is impossible with ps3 controller and sometimes the 'action queue' feel too long as my knight sometimes goes for more strikes than intended. I tend to smash a button sometimes instead of just hitting it once when needed, game takes that smashing too literally :S

Can't wait to play more!

Controls are only clunky compared to other games, but you get used to it and start to master it. Once you get used to the queue, you can get more adept at swapping btwn 2H and sword/board, or locking on and off so you can run past mobs for a backstab, etc. The only part of the controls that pisses me off is when, on occassion, you press Square to quaff a flask or use a magic spell, but then nothing happens and you just stand still. But when you try to block afterwards, your potion/spell then goes off, at the worst possible time.

Another tip, if you aren't doing so already, only raise your shield when the enemy is readying a swing, that way you can still regain your stamina while your shield is down.

And yeah spamming the attack key is bad in this game, cause it can queue a 2nd or 3rd swing unintentionally, when you only needed one or two, leaving you vulnerable to that second enemy who's about to hit you.

TylerD

I'm definitely taking my bandit knife to +15 when I can. Bleeding is so awesome at just +9.

Hit small, hit small, hit small, GASH! mob's HP is drained. :D

Darklord

Banned
Apart from letting players enter your world what else does turning into human form do? I have 1 humanity activated(or whatever you call it) at the moment, do I just keep that or use it?

See You Next Wednesday said:
I'm getting the guide soon. What is disappointing with it?

Lack of certain information?

It has tons of info and reference charts (weapons, items, stats etc.) but you can get more detailed ones online. The maps, walkthrough and NPC stuff are really great. The enemy guide seems comprehensive but I find it a bit lackluster in terms of strategy.

Unless I miss something the covenants and multiplayer chapters seem lacking.

Maybe my initial statement was bit harsh. I clocked in 20 hours of gameplay already : this and the wiki probably just reduced the guide's appeal...

The previous guide I got from them was Bayonetta's and, well... it was filled with so much amazing stuff and surprises, stuff you had no idea about even after several playthroughs, and it was so detailed I probably got my expectations a bit too high.

This one is beautiful and useful in its own right and I'll definitely keep it. Well worth the (regular, not ebay :) admission.

Baha

Question regarding Warrior of Sunlight for you NG+ players out there, if you did co-op in your first playthrough, does that count for NG+ or do you have to meet the requirements again? Also, kinda spoilerish but also related to that same covenant:
After giving ten medal, I hear you are given a choice between 2 spells (one dependent on you having a soul to trade for). Does this mean you need 20 medals (10 per run) if you're going for a platinum? Or can you get both spells in NG+?

Also, I have over 800k souls. Co-op is a lucrative business if you repeatedly lay your soul sign by late game dungeons.

vilmer_

Darklord said:
Apart from letting players enter your world what else does turning into human form do? I have 1 humanity activated(or whatever you call it) at the moment, do I just keep that or use it?

It lets you kindle bonfires as well as summon others to help you.

vilmer_

Darklord said:
So if I have one on me, use it to kindle? Wtf does kindling do anyway? This game really needs a manual.

You can use it up to reverse hollow (turn into a human). Kindling increases the amount of healing flasks you have to 10.

frequency

Darklord said:
It lets you summon help if you need it.

I always just saved up humanity until it hit 2. Then I'd reverse hollow and kindle the next bonfire I'm at.

... and then be promptly invaded and killed. PvP makes me sad.

Kindling bonfires will increase the amount of Estus charges you get when you rest there.

Darklord

Banned
vilmer_ said:
You can use it up to reverse hollow (turn into a human). Kindling increases the amount of healing flasks you have to 10.

Oh. But that needs 2 humanity right? 1 to turn human, 1 to kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom