• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

oracrest

Character shots anyone?

68816850.jpg

eaae2645.jpg

78e2ff50.jpg

bathala

Banned
just quit. outside the white light of Ornstein and Smough.

got my iron flesh, and pyro spells ready. thinking of going Smough first. I like Ornstein's armor

K' Dash

bathala said:
Killed the murdering Golden Knight

anyone wearing the Protective Ring that boost HP, stamina and load?

I'm not taking it off until I find something better, is a great boost for HP and Stamina.

Sullichin

K' Dash said:
I'm not taking it off until I find something better, is a great boost for HP and Stamina.

Where did you find this?

I could check my guide at home but it's fun to browse this thread at work :p

BaronLundi said:
Finally received my Future Press guide. I'm a bit disappointed. It's very nice but nowhere near as useful as I imagined it would be. I'll probably just use it as a (beautiful!) set of maps and reference charts.

It would have been perfect in the collector's edition though, as a starting guide.

I'm getting the guide soon. What is disappointing with it?

Lack of certain information?

Rektash

bathala said:

got my iron flesh, and pyro spells ready. thinking of going Smough first. I like Ornstein's armor

Good luck, these suckers can be a pain in the arse, especially for melee only characters. Pyromancy should help out alot for killing Ornstein though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just beat it, my thoughts in Spoiler-tag-land:

Total time for 1st play through: 75:20:41 I grinded.. a lot.

Game started off with a bang, really hit it's stride in the 1st 20 hours and I had a lot of fun for the 1st 40hrs or so. Blighttown which I cursed at the time, wasn't actually all that bad compared to some of the crap later.

I'm not sure if it's really me losing steam, or the game lost steam, or that the game just didn't do enough late game to keep it all that entertaining. I got to a point in the Tomb of the Giants that I just wanted to beat the game and get it over with, and that's what I pretty much did.

Duke's was good, but Crystal was crap, and so was the boss fight. Actually that was a major problem, because after you start with Tauras, Gargoyles, Capra, then Gaping.. the rest were pretty much downhill from there. The late game bosses were abysmal, especially that bitch gimmick boss Bed of Chaos, where I kept dying because of the shitty platform areas..

..which brings me to where the game is the weakest.. when it tries to be a platform action RPG.. the platform elements when it's not Sen's or Duke's are just weak.. your movement is too wonky and the jump mechanic is just meh, that you are fighting the mechanics to make it around bends or jumps in shitty areas.

Overall I enjoyed the game, and it was my GoTY so far until the end, and it still tops anything else I've played.. it just felt unfinished.. especially the ending.. wtf? All that work.. for that? What if I don't really want to NG+.. that's all you are giving me?

What I'd like for a sequel: Tighten the game up, don't just make it bigger because you think it should, I would have taken 3 or 4 less levels for 6 better fleshed out levels. Also fix the lock-on so it works consistently, and if you're engine can't do a level without killing the frame-rate, do levels that the engine can do. It ruins the immersion.

Overall.. I'd still say it's an 8/10. The frame-rate and story issues, along with the lackluster end levels drop it 2 points.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I'm hesitant to take on Demon Ruins with my Furysword (for obvious reasons). Any recommended weapon build that works well for that place?

johntown

Banned
K' Dash said:
How much does it actually boost. I have a low VIT and END build and right now I use Havels Ring. Would this be like equal to that in some sense?

I just do want to put it on and then find out I can no longer roll and have to take it off.

Rektash

Seraphis Cain said:
So I'm hesitant to take on Demon Ruins with my Furysword (for obvious reasons). Any recommended weapon build that works well for that place?

I for one am rocking my Lifehunt Scythe +5. People tell me it is a bad weapon, but as it can kill even Drakes in a 3 hit combo I get the impression people haven't experimented with this weapon alot. It is kinda hard to use though due to its nature of beeing a GIANT FREAKING SCYTHE and the bleed effect it applies to your enemy AND you. Nothing that a bloodbite ring can't fix though.

RyanDG

johntown said:
How much does it actually boost. I have a low VIT and END build and right now I use Havels Ring. Would this be like equal to that in some sense?

I just do want to put it on and then find out I can no longer roll and have to take it off.

I think the Equipment load boost was right around 20%.

I said this in the other thread and I'll say it here though... That ring is deceptive. It seems great and all, but as soon as you realize how quickly you need to be switching through rings it becomes more of a hindrance than a boon. It took me ages to finally take the damned thing off, and now that I have, I feel a lot more 'free'.

ironcreed

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:

I used my Crystal Halberd and Lightning Spear +4 and had no problems.

RyanDG said:

I said this in the other thread and I'll say it here though... That ring is deceptive. It seems great and all, but as soon as you realize how quickly you need to be switching through rings it becomes more of a hindrance than a boon. It took me ages to finally take the damned thing off, and now that I have, I feel a lot more 'free'.

Lies! I get around find switching out Havel's ring. Besides farming, I always wear Havel's and the Favour/Prot.

johntown

Banned
RyanDG said:

Yeah I need to up my END a bit right now it is at 12 and I am SL68 and I basically have to always wear Havels Ring or I cannot roll.

Amazing @ reaching 3rd OT already.

I feel so left out and ashamed of myself for not playing this yet.

I have Dark Souls, GeOW 3, Rage and Arkham City all sitting on my desk un-opened and still in their shrinkwrap + UC3 pre-order fully paid for.

I can't decide what to play next once I finish my Ico & SOTC HD playthrough.... I have a feeling that if I pop Dark Souls into my system next, I may not touch the other games for months. Best to save it for last methinks.

RyanDG

33-Hit-Combo said:
Lies! I get around find switching out Havel's ring. Besides farming, I always wear Havel's and the Favour/Prot.

See what I mean? Pretty soon you'll be talking about your 'precious'.

RyanDG said:

lol, you sound like a recovering drug addict.

Sullichin said:
Eh, the previous areas are more visually interesting. Maybe if it wasn't so dark and ugly.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Blighttown is a pretty awesome zone (frame rate aside) and is some rather genius level design / art direction / sound design.

I really get the feeling that the intent of this zone is supposed to be a dark, fearsome, rickety pile of wood filled with horrible creatures that risks sending you tumbling to your death. While other games may have given it that 'look' - this game actually has the look, and the actuality of it being dangerous.

Is it easy to get lost and fall to your death? yes - but it's supposed to be that way. But, there is the nice touch of every ladder having a torch at the top/bottom to help guide you.

Is it easy to get poisoned here? Yep - but hey look, nice set of resist gear placed up top for you. How nice, and enemies also drop clumps that can cure the status. Or, if your so inclined - it's not that hard to farm tree's in the Darkroot area to stock up - sure, you are not told that directly, but this type of thing encourages some non-linear world exploration. It's a fairly open world - explore it.

That sludge at the bottom a pain the drudge through? Back track to the Undead Asylum and a nice ring there will get you set.

Toxic dart-men getting you down? With the right shield you can block them 100%. They only spawn once - and with proper planning of your route and a bit of caution, you can avoid becoming toxic completely. I actually felt that these enemies were very well placed, and never felt like there wasn't a situation where I couldn't back out of their line of fire if needed as long as I was paying attention.

The place is scary - one of the scariest levels I've played in a video game. It's dark, its rickity, you risk falling to your death. The enemy design is the stuff of night-mares, and the sounds they make are awful. Creeping along - hearing wood crack in the distance, a vase shatter, a horrible scream - not knowing where an enemy is going to jump at you from.

Can it make for a hair-rising unsettling experience? Yes - but that is exactly the point, and being able to so effectively create one is something I think is rather brilliant.

ironcreed

Banned
33-Hit-Combo said:

I only have my Endurance at 37 and do not even need Havel's Ring anymore. I have been using his armor to tank a few bosses and find that I am not moving much slower without it at this point. I also have the Ring of Favor and Protection and no way in hell am I taking it off. Nice little Vitality and Endurance boost. Sometimes that extra little bit means the difference between dying and being able to land a killing blow with just enough left. So worth it.

frequency

RyanDG said:

Most rings I find are situational. I never REQUIRE both ring slots so I use it. I also have a high VIT/END build so maybe I get more out of it. My health bar is like 70% the width of my TV and stamina is never an issue anymore.

bathala said:

This can be rather difficult if Ornstein decides he likes you -- the one time I killed fatass first was when ornstein got stuck behind him and kept trying to throw lightning spears, so fatass took the brunt of my fireball volleys. Almost had Ornstein too, but ran out of iron flesh and he got a lucky shot in. :(

Oh well, I know what's going to happen when I roll in there in NG+ now... Smough has to go down first... same as I know I'm purposefully dying during any bossfight where I need the tail and I haven't gotten it. :\

dralla

blighttown is one of my favorite areas, fuck the haters. yea the framerate sucks at time, but it doesn't effect the gameplay at all. it happens at strange times.

RyanDG said:
See what I mean? Pretty soon you'll be talking about your 'precious'.
ironcreed said:
I only have my Endurance at 37 and do not even need Havel's Ring anymore. I have been using his armor to tank a few bosses and find that I am not moving much slower without it at this point. I also have the Ring of Favor and Protection and no way in hell am I taking it off. Nice little Vitality and Endurance boost. Sometimes that extra little bit means the difference between dying and being able to land a killing blow with just enough left. So worth it.

I literally can't live without it. I have END at 50 too. I'm using the hemmed set with a Dark Knight's shield +5 and the Dragon Tooth +5... I'm under 25% max equip.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just a quick heads up for the humanity farmers:

According to the guide, drop-rate from regular mobs is affected by whether you have killed the zone boss or not.

This would account for why the droprate from Depth rats bottoms out.

33-Hit-Combo said:
I literally can't live without it. I have END at 50 too. I'm using the hemmed set with a Dark Knight's shield +5 and the Dragon Tooth +5... I'm under 25% max equip.

Haha, I want to see you rolling around.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
demosthenes said:
GAF, I finished Cata and tomb of the giants last night...I didn't think they were nearly as bad as people were letting on :x

Cata was fun, Tomb was not.

Rektash

Clear said:
Just a quick heads up for the humanity farmers:

According to the guide, drop-rate from regular mobs is affected by whether you have killed the zone boss or not.

This would account for why the droprate from Depth rats bottoms out.

Just do be clear: Does the drop rate increase or decrease with a killed boss?

After beating the game I started a NG+ and made it to the Forest and the Covenant there in less than an hour.

Game has lost interest to me for the moment.

NervousXtian said:
Cata was fun, Tomb was not.

Well I was Pyro, I equipped 3 fire spells and it took care of most of the enemies.

Though I have to go back and try again in the room w/ the large divine ember, died a couple times there and said fk it, couldn't target them and couldn't get down and launch an attack before dying.

K' Dash

Sullichin said:
Where did you find this?

Kill Lautrec, the gold Knight you help early in the game, I recomend doing it after he kills the fire keeper lady, but you can do it anytime...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
See You Next Wednesday said:
I'm getting the guide soon. What is disappointing with it?

Lack of certain information?

The guide is near useless, besides the maps, to be honest. It's not so much a guide as a collection of information about the game. I have the guide and I still ask questions here or google things. It's only 13 bucks, though, so no biggie.

frequency

bathala said:

I found this fight easier than I've been hearing. Maybe I just got lucky. I was so nervous going in.
But when
Ornstein phase 2 happens, I just stayed right under his feet. Whenever he was going to attack with his spear, I rolled behind him and used Greater Combustion for like 400-500 damage. When he jumped into the air, I just rolled twice to the side. Phase 1 was harder for me. I just had to learn to be patient for an opening to attack Smough without taking hits from Ornstein. I never used Iron Flesh. I can't imagine that fight without rolling. I stocked up on fast casting Pyro spells.

johntown said:
Did you use the light spell?

Sorry, YES! I thought of typing that but I didn't. Hint: Use light spell, rest @ bonfire to get full spells again. Light spell does not go away when you rest.

Rektash

frequency said:
I found this fight easier than I've been hearing. Maybe I just got lucky. I was so nervous going in.

You used pyromancy and Ornstein is weak to fire, there is your answer :).

KAOz

Short bus special
demosthenes said:
Anyone else get the spell to become an object and to make your weapon invisible? Can't wait to use those next time I get invaded.

Yes, and it's made out of fucking amazing!

I'm Solid Snake sneaking that shieeeeet. Plus, looks hilarious to control a slow-moving vase.

I know the point of invasion is to win, but is "run into pack of enemies" basically the extent of Black Phantom strategy? I get why they do it, it just seems incredibly boring. Was it like this in Demon's Souls? I seem to remember actually fighting people in that game.

bathala

Banned
Sullichin said:
Where did you find this?

if u freed the knight in the parish and follow the event that unfolds. once in anor londo u fight to get the ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom