• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So I head a rumor that the lady Pyromancer will not spawn in Blighttown if I have killed the
Bed of Chaos boss in Izalith
. Someone please tell me this isn't true (if it isn't). -_-

glaurung

So...

Last night I decided to push through Sen's Fortress at last and even though it cost me approximately ten times of reverse hollowing, I finally got up to Iron Golem. Summoned the Iron Tarkus NPC from the nearby tower and summoned another player to help me.

The summoned player died pretty much instantly. The NPC danced with the golem and eventually got killed too. And then there I was, out of Estus, with my trusty +3 Lightning Spear and a few firebombs. And I managed to kill it.

A few minutes later, Anor Londo. God damn. All the enemies hit so freaking hard. Out of humanity. Cannot summon help. The gargoyles on the bridge rape me like a dead dog. The giant bronze knights are doable one on one, but everything else is just horrible.

Any advice?

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
Really? Dang. I could've sworn that one of the PvP invasion methods is supposed to not prompt the host. The wikispaces says the Red Eye Orb doesn't alert the host, but the host being fog wall contained into an area should be a dead giveaway that an invader is in his game.
You get a message something like "A Dark Spirit XXXX has invaded your world". Take the wiki info with a grain of salt, people are just posting stuff without being really thorough.

orion434

Zzoram said:
Um you CAN be summoned as a hollow, you just can't invade or summon others..

Ah, you learn something new everyday. I rarely see summon signs anymore... but I do like summoning NPC for meat shields.

soloscout

Neo Member
corrosivefrost said:
How would this work? Catalysts are for sorcery.
I read this description on a dark souls wiki and got excited :(

Description: "Catalyst of the Witch of Izalith of long ago, when her daughters were still flame witches, before they were engulfed by the Chaos Flame. Before the birth of pyromancy, their wands were mediums for sorcery, but knowledge of this flame sorcery has long since vanished."

Zzoram

glaurung said:
So...

Last night I decided to push through Sen's Fortress at last and even though it cost me approximately ten times of reverse hollowing, I finally got up to Iron Golem. Summoned the Iron Tarkus NPC from the nearby tower and summoned another player to help me.

The summoned player died pretty much instantly. The NPC danced with the golem and eventually got killed too. And then there I was, out of Estus, with my trusty +3 Lightning Spear and a few firebombs. And I managed to kill it.

A few minutes later, Anor Londo. God damn. All the enemies hit so freaking hard. Out of humanity. Cannot summon help. The gargoyles on the bridge rape me like a dead dog. The giant bronze knights are doable one on one, but everything else is just horrible.

Any advice?

Did you get to the first bonfire? You can do it by running past all the enemies up to that point. Then kindle it for more estus, and you should have no problem.

Oh, most enemies in Anor Londo are lightning resistant lol.

140.85 said:
So I head a rumor that the lady Pyromancer will not spawn in Blighttown if I have killed the

I think
if you have gotten to the Bed of Chaos she has already turned hollow (aka died) because she attacks you around that area. So it is too late at that point, I believe.

Zzoram

MomoPufflet said:
I think
if you have gotten to the Bed of Chaos she has already turned hollow (aka died) because she attacks you around that area. So it is too late at that point, I believe.

That's not the same person, they just dress the same.

soldat7

rayner said:
Ah, you learn something new everyday. I rarely see summon signs anymore... but I do like summoning NPC for meat shields.

It's partially because there is very little incentive for running around in human form. I really wish they'd only allow half the health in Hollow form ala Demon's Souls, or something along those lines. And they should have done a better job in-game, advertising the fact that you should use your white soap stone to be summoned as a Hollow in another's game. Maybe up the incentive like turning human and not just getting souls and a humanity for it (defeating area boss.)

glaurung

Zzoram said:
Did you get to the first bonfire? You can do it by running past all the enemies up to that point. Then kindle it for more estus, and you should have no problem.

Oh, most enemies in Anor Londo are lightning resistant lol.
Yes, I got to the first bonfire and I even explored the narrow walkway and the chandelier area. The gargoyles are complete asses though.

Jonsoncao

Banned
140.85 said:
That lady in the god-hemmed set would show up if your pyro glove is +10 or above.

Xanathus

Grampasso said:
I hate the Bell Gargoyle
when the other one arrives
. Guess SL 13 is a bit too low :/
Reverse hollowing, summon the two NPC white signs at the boss gate, trash the gargoyles easily.

Chakan

Stupid Four Kings boss.
I tried it twice using spells and 1h + shield. Failed miserably. Went berserk using my
Gravedigger Sword +5
with 2H,
killed this boss without using a single estus flask.

Yuterald

Phat Michael said:
Yep. And the dark souls defenders will be "Oh you just dont get it its a brilliant piece of game design just follow the snow flakes!"

in other words. its cheap, its lazy, its boring, it adds nothing to the game or the story and you just basically have to bring a bow and arrow and shoot the "ground" to get across or watch a walktrhough. i fell off a few times but its not that hard....it just..sucks. Another testament to the fact that they really ran out of ideas through the last half of this game and went for cheap rather than well designed.

I kind of agree with this. I love Dark Souls and From Software to bits, but I thought the Crystal Caves sucked too. I didn't have any trouble with it either, it just felt sloppy to me. The butterfly enemies were not fun to fight and there was barely ANY room to engage those crystal golems. If you did fight those crystal dudes good luck auto-targeting them and NOT back peddling off your invisible platform.

Lost Izalith was horrible, horrible, horrible too. Such a mess. The lava pit area with the dinosaurs felt like shit. Who did the enemy placement in this game? It felt like they literally copied and paced these enemies ALL over the place and didn't bother to test the area to see if it would have been frustrating. Talk about giving that area a once-over during development time.

Then there is Blighttown, which has already been thoroughly taken apart down to its core so there is no need to further berate its design. It simply felt and ran like balls.

The
Abyss
was cool, but I was a bit disappointed by it. I expected it to look like something out of Froms other game, Shadow Tower Abyss, but the
black screen
was cool, I guess...

Everything else I thought was cool. One of the best things about Demon's/Dark Souls is its level design. Demon's Souls may have not of been as open and 'free' as Dark Souls, but it was still so tightly designed. Everything felt more focused and polished in Demon's Souls. That's not to say Dark Souls didn't do this either.

Sen's Fortress was a testament to great dungeon design and it's still my favorite area in the game. The Undead Burg and its wrap-arounds and back doors to the Parish & Depths area were awesome too. Anor Lando was also designed really well, with cool back door gates and paths, etc. It's just some of the in-between areas (Crystal Caves, Blighttown, Demon Ruins, Izalith) felt sloppy and poorly designed. I will agree that the first half of the game (including the majority of Anor Lando) was better than the second half.

kodt

Banned
Man Solaire and Laurtec suck ass against Gaping Dragon in NG+

Summoned them both thinking I'll go in beat it easily. They helped distract it but I don't think they did any damage to it really. Took two attempts and both times they got themselves killed.

Yuterald

kodt said:

Summoned them both thinking I'll go in beat it easily. They helped distract it but I don't think they did any damage to it really. Took two attempts and both times they got themselves killed.

If you have 31 INT and Crystal Homing Soul Mass you can outdo the damage the boss will do to Solaire. Just equip the Dusk Crown and that sorcery boosting ring and blow that dragon away. I just did this on my first new game+. Magic is WAY too powerful in this game, again...

Fucking hell, invaded outside Capra demon fog gate by a phantom with a lightning iato who one-shots me? What's the point? I'm SL 11 and am already low on Humanity so wasting it when stuff like that happens and I'm unhollowed is just frustrating.

kodt

Banned
Yuterald said:
If you have 31 INT and Crystal Homing Soul Mass you can outdo the damage the boss will do to Solaire. Just equip the Dusk Crown and that sorcery boosting ring and blow that dragon away. I just did this on my first new game+. Magic is WAY too powerful in this game, again...

Yeah I have been using Pyro, but I am thinking about using some Magic now.

Also, I died to Moonlight Butterfly, those homing attacks took me out in a few hits, even with a magic defense ring. Then Witch Beatrice killed the boss after I died so I still got the kill

I was in shock, didn't realize you could die in that fight... hehe

Tain

Lost Izalith's dinosaur pit sucks because the best strategy involves having them kill each other, slowly and tediously. But other than that? I loved the Duke's Archives and the walkways in the crystal cave. I loved Anor Londo, especially the archer section. I loved the
drained ruins
. Overall, I don't see all the complaints directed to all of the areas after Sen's Fortress.

Yuterald said:

yea, that sucks. i don't like playing sorcerers, which makes it suck even more ;(

Zzoram

Baloonatic said:
Fucking hell, invaded outside Capra demon fog gate by a phantom with a lightning iato who one-shots me? What's the point? I'm SL 11 and am already low on Humanity so wasting it when stuff like that happens and I'm unhollowed is just frustrating.

He's probably a similar level, just an experienced pro so he was able to rush the game and get uber gear early in the game.

Keep trying, there are more people waiting at Capra to be summoned than waiting there to invade.

You can build up a decent amount of humanity by just farming an area and not dying for a while.

Zzoram

Tain said:
Lost Izalith's dinosaur pit sucks because the best strategy involves having them kill each other, slowly and tediously. But other than that? I loved the Duke's Archives and the walkways in the crystal cave. I loved Anor Londo, especially the archer section. I loved the
drained ruins
. Overall, I don't see all the complaints directed to all of the areas after Sen's Fortress.

Ya I thought Duke's Archives was great. Crystal Caves was decent, nothing special. Demon Ruins was fine too, only the Lost Izalith lava was at all bothersome.

I don't even mind Blighttown, I think the area, if it didn't have such a low framerate, would be perceived to be pretty good. The constantly respawning mosquitoes are annoying but they exist in part to offset the poison damage you take there. That's because just before going to Blighttown, you will have likely gotten the ring that heals you 30hp per enemy killed, and mosquitoes are respawning enemies that die in 1 hit that are only around the poison swamp that drains your health.

Can you get to
Ash Lake with the master key
at SL1 if you are a bad enough dude? (aka good at running). I'm having trouble remembering if there is anything that would block you.

Ken

MomoPufflet said:
Can you get to
at SL1 if you are a bad enough dude? (aka good at running). I'm having trouble remembering if there is anything that would block you.
Yes.

Are you a bad enough dude?

kodt said:

I defeat that dragon in melee only (a little of pyro) and it was very easy... but long.

You have to run away from him, very far from him. If he simply moves, or fly, or wathever, keep the distance. Sooner or later, he will make a charge (well, a slow charge) so yo can move to the side, wait until he stop and hit a few times (aim the tale, first).

When he recover from charge, run like hell, no looking back, until you are again very far away. Repeat.

Zzoram

MomoPufflet said:
Can you get to

You can beat the entire game at SL1 if you're a bad enough dude. That's always been one of the coolest thing about the Souls games, you set your own difficulty by deciding what level you want to be when playing various parts of the game.

Yuterald

I think the
Fire Walker Ring
could have been implemented a 1000 times better. There should have been lava areas/paths in earlier parts of the games where you would have had to backtrack with the ring. It seems so underused. At least in Izalith there could have been more interesting uses of the ring, to solve switch puzzles, etc.

Sullichin

so.. i'm at the lovely boss who in order to get to I need to take invisible paths, and when I get there he can curse me.

..The biggest problem that I'm having is with the camera. I get him down to 25% health, but then the screen is all crystals and I can't see shit no matter what I do.

frequency

Sullichin said:
so.. i'm at the lovely boss who in order to get to I need to take invisible paths, and when I get there he can curse me.

..The biggest problem that I'm having is with the camera. I get him down to 25% health, but then the screen is all crystals and I can't see shit no matter what I do.
Are you locked on? I found the lock on to be detrimental on larger enemies. Other than that, all I did was run around him and hit him whenever he paused to do some attack (which would miss me because I'm behind him).

Zzoram

Sullichin said:

put on the ring that makes you silent, he's blind

don't use lock on

stay diagonally behind him, half way between his side and his ass, since that's the spot that can't be hit by crystals or his tail whip

Zzoram

Yuterald said:
I think the
Fire Walker Ring
could have been implemented a 1000 times better. There should have been lava areas/paths in earlier parts of the games where you would have had to backtrack with the ring. It seems so underused. At least in Izalith there could have been more interesting uses of the ring, to solve switch puzzles, etc.

Ya if there were some puzzles or old areas to unlock that would be cool.

As it stands, the only past area it helps with is getting the Chaos Ember from the Demon Ruins, but if you had a lot of HP and fire resistance items/flash sweat pyromancy, you could survive just long enough to pick it up before dying in the lava.

Defuser

I find backstabbing in Dark souls is terrible in terms of the small window frame for you to execute. I can't seem to backstab for my life.

Zzoram

Defuser said:
I find backstabbing in Dark souls is terrible in terms of the small window frame for you to execute. I can't seem to backstab for my life.

I have a lot of trouble too, yet I've seen on youtube people who do it with success like 90%+ of the time so it must just be me sucking at it.

Yuterald said:
Magic is WAY too powerful in this game, again...

That's what I was wondering about, in Demon's Souls making a pure melee character totally crippled yourself for certain sections of the game, especially bosses.
Shame, as that is my favorite style of character besides a Paladin.

Pyromancer sounds cool though. Can't wait to start the game tonight.

scy

I hated Crystal Caves when I first got to it. I had a lot of stupid deaths on the invisible bridges and quite a few "oops, you're not standing where we want you to SLIDE OFF!" moments.

But, when running back to the boss room, it just suddenly occurred to me that I was full on non-stop sprinting it. It's a fairly linear area and the two primary bridges are perfectly straight; the other two are optional for loot and are a bit rougher so bring Prism Stones (which the game suggests to you).

It's a cute gimmick that should really only kill you the first time you get there. Or at least seriously slow you down. After that? You can basically ignore the fact that they're invisible as it really does nothing on future attempts. It serves to make your first visit a bit hectic but it's very easy to figure out.

Honestly, I hate the stupid sloped platforms a lot more than the invisible bridges. I've blocked myself to death a lot vs the golems since the recoil slid me into oblivion.

Really, the three
Lord souls
areas aren't that bad overall; Lost Izalith is the worst of them, personally, but I think I mostly hate it due to the terrible glow of the lava more than the design. Crystal Caves and Tomb are both really short and with a gimmick that isn't that big of a deal outside of the first visit; Izalith always fucking glows.

MomoPufflet said:
Can you get to

It's actually not so bad. There's only about 15 enemies total you'll run into and you really don't need to kill that many of them:
3 Ogres in Blighttown entrance, 2 of those fire-breathing things in Blighttown, 3 leeches that are at the entrance to the to tree leading to the Great Hollow, ~5-6 Frogs in the Great Hollow
. Of those, you really only have to deal with the last set of enemies and they're not so bad to kill, even with starting equipment.

Just don't use the bonfires in
Ash Lake
so you can Homeward Bone out after getting the stone.

Zzoram said:
I have a lot of trouble too, yet I've seen on youtube people who do it with success like 90%+ of the time so it must just be me sucking at it.

I personally watch the feet more than the back since that's what determines "behind" them anyway. Besides that, make sure they're standing straight up (or at least, as straight as their model is). I usually don't have much of a problem with it.

Laggy PvP though ... well, fuck that.

Facism

Grampasso said:
I hate the Bell Gargoyle
when the other one arrives
. Guess SL 13 is a bit too low :/

I did it at 12 with a sorcerer. If you have any of the gold resin that adds lightning damage to your weapon, the fight becomes chocolate cake.

mudkyp

Is anyone else finding NG+ disappointingly easy? I'm just walking through the game where my only deaths are from a boss. All bosses are going down in one or two shots. I even one shotted Smough and Orenstein.

I'm not even a great player, but compared to my NG+ experience in Demon's Souls which I am barely making it through, it's a bummer to speed through NG+ on Dark Souls.

I want my real Dark Souls starts here experience.

Yuterald

Augemitbutter said:
yea, that sucks. i don't like playing sorcerers, which makes it suck even more ;(

Wait until you see how much damage Crystal Homing Soul Mass does with 50 INT. It's CRAZY how powerful sorcery is in these games. The thing I hate most about Dark Souls is the weapon scaling. There are all these ridiculously cool melee weapons that SHOULD scale with your STR and be as comparable to the kind of damage you can do as a mage, but it doesn't work like that. Hopefully the patch fixes this like they said they were going to do.

ok i just took out centipede demon and firesage. i have the chaos covenant +2 shortcut available. before i go into lost izalith...there is an area above me with a lot of staircases leading up with one of those tablets you step on with a switch...do i need to go up there first or should i go straight to lost izalith?

Zzoram

mudkyp said:
Is anyone else finding NG+ disappointingly easy? I'm just walking through the game where my only deaths are from a boss. All bosses are going down in one or two shots. I even one shotted Smough and Orenstein.

I'm not even a great player, but compared to my NG+ experience in Demon's Souls which I am barely making it through, it's a bummer to speed through NG+ on Dark Souls.

I want my real Dark Souls starts here experience

Kill Gwenyvre and Gwindolin and stand in Anor Londo in human form.

Defuser said:
I was having trouble too until I realized I just needed to get closer - you need to be pretty close and dead center.

Rektash

Defuser said:

Just a general tip here, because most people don't understand how backstabs work RIGHT in Dark Souls:

Your left analog stick MUST be in neutral position for backstabs to work. The way you do this is get behind an enemy, let go of the analog stick and then execute the backstab. As soon as you are still moving in a direction with left analoge stick the backstab won't come out.

Sullichin

Zzoram said:
put on the ring that makes you silent, he's blind

don't use lock on

stay diagonally behind him, half way between his side and his ass, since that's the spot that can't be hit by crystals or his tail whip

frequency said:
Are you locked on? I found the lock on to be detrimental on larger enemies. Other than that, all I did was run around him and hit him whenever he paused to do some attack (which would miss me because I'm behind him).

Yeah I guess lock on is messing me up. I will try these suggestions.

I successfully got summoned a few times, hoping that people could show me across the invisible paths. it was clear that two of these times the host didn't know where to go and was hoping his phantoms could help him :p and another time the guy ran way too fast ahead of me and I didn't see where he was going, but he eventually died. I think i have the hang of the invisible paths now though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom