• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVIDICAN

maomaoIYP said:
How so? It's not too hard to dodge it, lights you up like a christmas tree, and requires relatively high INT to use it at full power.

Everyone can use the fog ring. Also, there's no answer for magic users vs fog ring users except for both homing spells.
Theres been times where I had the crystal soul mass prepped, the invader would invade and start a bow gesture at which point the soul mass would fire and one-hit them. Its kind of their own fault, but I still feel like a dick when it happens. :p

maomaoIYP said:
Oh and in my playthrough, Quelaana never left. I fought all of them without using the shortcut, Quelaana thanked me, gave me Fire Tempest, and stayed on. I came back a few times just passing by and she was still there.

same here for my first game. the second time she never showed up, but i skipped some areas so maybe that's why.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
LaneDS said:
Really enjoy those posts ixix, thanks for putting that kind of thing together.

Thanks. I'm mostly compiling all this information as a way of entertaining myself while I wait for the patch, but I'm glad other people like these posts.

JVIDICAN said:
The Chaos Fire whip description mentions it as being wielded by the eldest daughter of chaos. I'm guessing that hollow would be her since she uses it.

Interesting. I left out the Gold-Hemmed enemy near the Bed of Chaos because I didn't think she was referenced anywhere as explicitly being one of them, even though it's a pretty obvious deduction to make. And I was aware of the Chaos Fire Whip description, but never thought to cross-reference it with the spells that that enemy uses. The question then is if anyone else in the game can use Chaos Fire Whip. If she's the only one I think I'll include her. Thanks for pointing that out.

corrosivefrost said:
ixix, love your posts, but I'd say Lautrec is the homage to Yurt.
Leunam said:
I feel Lautrec is far closer to Yurt than Kirk is. Hell when I heard Lautrec speak to the first time my first thought was "Hello again, Yurt."

I don't think it's impossible for both of them to be homages to Yurt, really. And personally I think that Lautrec's superficial similarities are an intentional red herring to get you to kill him early and miss out on his sidequest.

I readily cop to the fact that analogizing Kirk to Yurt is a bit of a stretch.

kurohana said:
I believe it's definitely a reference to Umineko's Beatrice. Not really big spoilers for Umineko, but I'll just spoiler them anyways.

Her summon sign is gold if I recall correctly, which is a common theme in Umineko, especially for Beatrice.
It's said she's lived for a very long time in Umineko, which matches the catalyst.
I suppose you could say she can travel to an abyss of sorts in Umineko as well, which matches as well.

So yeah, I caught it pretty early and thought it was a clear reference.

It's good to have corroboration from someone who is actually familiar with Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I tried to read Wikipedia's character summaries, managed to follow it up until finding out it had a dude with six toes, then became utterly confused until I gave up. I think I had a firmer grasp of it when I just knew it as that game with the woman who makes crazy faces that somebody used for avatars.

Eusis

maomaoIYP said:
After you kill him, buy it from zena who's sitting under the aquaduct in firelink
This is pretty much true for every boss whose gear you can wear by the way. NPCs meanwhile seem to generally have their cloth sets on dead bodies nearby who may or may not be them.

JVIDICAN

ixix said:
Interesting. I left out the Gold-Hemmed enemy near the Bed of Chaos because I didn't think she was referenced anywhere as explicitly being one of them, even though it's a pretty obvious deduction to make. And I was aware of the Chaos Fire Whip description, but never thought to cross-reference it with the spells that that enemy uses. The question then is if anyone else in the game can use Chaos Fire Whip. If she's the only one I think I'll include her. Thanks for pointing that out.
Only other chaos fire whip(?) user I encountered during the game was the black phantom Xanthous King, Jeremiah. I think he had all the chaos pyromancies actually. Not sure how he would've obtained them. :/

Ken

JVIDICAN said:
Only other chaos fire whip(?) user I encountered during the game was the black phantom Xanthous King, Jeremiah. I think he had all the chaos pyromancies actually. Not sure how he would've obtained them. :/
Maybe he met the other Pyromancer trained by Quelana and learned some skills from him.

Ken

JVIDICAN said:
Quelanna doesn't use any chaos pyromancy as far as I'm aware. I never actually aggro'd her though.
Oh, right. Maybe he got it from one of the daughters that could use Chaos pyromancy or the Witch herself then, since all chaos pyromancy originated from the Witch of Izalith, right?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
JVIDICAN said:

I think I'm going to go ahead and include her in the next proper revision of the list. The Chaos Flame Whip being described as a Pyromancy used by the eldest daughter of the Witch of Izalith combined with the enemy in Lost Izalith using it isn't much larger a logical leap from direct in-game statements than the one I already used to include Quelaag's sister, I don't think, and tacking on a bit more explanation to the footnote I already employed is for some illogical reason less offensive to me than adding a new one. Jeremiah is far enough outside the norm in terms of the game universe I'm not inclined to count him as a counterexample.

Thanks again for pointing this out.

maomaoIYP

JVIDICAN said:
Theres been times where I had the crystal soul mass prepped, the invader would invade and start a bow gesture at which point the soul mass would fire and one-hit them. Its kind of their own fault, but I still feel like a dick when it happens. :p

Hahaha, I don't give a shit when I get invaded. You come to mess with my game for no good reason? I will fuck you up using anything that I have. Especially since invaders gain the element of surprise, and any spells that I have already spent are not available for the fight.

That being said, I also don't give a shit when I invade a world of the guilty. Pay for your sins, sinner!
Role-playing it just gives me plenty of entertainment, I still haven't used the red orbs yet

Sarcasm

So haven't been able to kill the gargoyle boss, I did some exploring at the fire shrine. Took crow back to the asylum..who is the dang dude in knights armor? Haven't gone down the hole in asylum yet..too scared lol.

Also any tips on the gargoyles? Or anywhere else I can hit up or farm souls?

JVIDICAN

Ken said:
Oh, right. Maybe he got it from one of the daughters that could use Chaos pyromancy or the Witch herself then, since all chaos pyromancy originated from the Witch of Izalith, right?
Could be. My guess would be From just wanted to make a whip wielding, lava flaming badass, old monk tribute. :p

I think I'm going to go ahead and include her in the next proper revision of the list. The Chaos Flame Whip being described as a Pyromancy used by the eldest daughter of the Witch of Izalith combined with the enemy in Lost Izalith using it isn't much larger a logical leap from direct in-game statements than the one I already used to include Quelaag's sister, I don't think, and tacking on a bit more explanation to the footnote I already employed is for some illogical reason less offensive to me than adding a new one. Jeremiah is far enough outside the norm in terms of the game universe I'm not inclined to count him as a counterexample.

Thanks again for pointing this out.
Sure. Glad I could help. :)

Sarcasm said:

Try to eliminate the first one as fast as possible; ideally, using fireballs or sorcery since they're very effective. Once you get to the second the openings are pretty easy to see. Get a couple of hits in and don't be greedy. Two hits, replenish stamina, guard goes back up.

I'm not sure about those gargoyles but the ones later try to break your lock-on by flying. Adjust your camera to not lose sight of them and get your lock-on back.

If it so happens that you can't get rid of the first one before the other comes out try not to get sandwiched between them. Keep to either end and try your best to whittle away at one.

maomaoIYP said:
Hahaha, I don't give a shit when I get invaded. You come to mess with my game for no good reason? I will fuck you up using anything that I have. Especially since invaders gain the element of surprise, and any spells that I have already spent are not available for the fight.

That being said, I also don't give a shit when I invade a world of the guilty. Pay for your sins, sinner!
Role-playing it just gives me plenty of entertainment, I still haven't used the red orbs yet

I think the only time I enjoy getting invaded is when it's by the forest covenant guys. I try and make it as frustrating as possible for them by running, hiding and strafing around trees.

I was invaded by two earlier and as I was running around, one of them fell off a cliff and died. The other accidentally cast heal when he meant to use force of nature and I backstabbed him. I was cracking up. The lag meant that I was screwed in a proper fight so it was lucky that happened. My only weapon was a dagger +10 and parrying seems basically impossible online.

Sarcasm said:

Really, these games are setup so that once you are over the 'hump' it gets a lot easier.

I suggest getting some humanity (kill people and get lucky/find it) and reverse hollowing. You should be able to pick up somebody to help you. Also if you are human you can summon a NPC to help you as well.

This makes the fight a lot more manageable. From this point in, it does get easier (with a couple of spikes)

maomaoIYP

Baloonatic said:
I think the only time I enjoy getting invaded is when it's by the forest covenant guys. I try and make it as frustrating as possible for them by running, hiding and strafing around trees.

I was invaded by two earlier and as I was running around, one of them fell off a cliff and died. The other accidentally cast heal when he meant to use force of nature and I backstabbed him. I was cracking up. The lag meant that I was screwed in a proper fight so it was lucky that happened. My only weapon was a dagger +10 and parrying seems basically impossible online.

I went there with a full sorceror build, decked out with the most awesome magic spells. Turned myself into a tree and waited. Invasions came in hard and fast, I always waited for the invaders to be out of each other's vision before I struck. Some dude kept coming back, I ended up beating him almost 4 to 5 times. They never had a chance. In the end I felt bad for the dude who kept coming back, so I rolled off a cliff to end it. Why don't I ever get summoned when I put the damn cat ring on? I had it on for hours and I got summoned once. This dude got summoned back into my world so many times within the span of a hour.

maomaoIYP

Sarcasm said:
So haven't been able to kill the gargoyle boss, I did some exploring at the fire shrine. Took crow back to the asylum..who is the dang dude in knights armor? Haven't gone down the hole in asylum yet..too scared lol.

Are you playing a melee only build? That fight was impossible for my melee only build until I went and got myself much much better weapons.

Sarcasm

maomaoIYP said:
Are you playing a melee only build? That fight was impossible for my melee only build until I went and got myself much much better weapons.

Started as a pyro. I got the drake sword and a black knight shield. I have enough STR to wield the sword 1h.

I get to a point where both come out than I try to run and split them up but they never do.

Also who is the guy with knight armor when you go back to asylum?

how do you find this shit enjoyable? how do you do it?

EDIT: can some one show me how to get to that infinity soul glitch place as early as possible?

linko9

Ladyboy101 said:

EDIT: can some one show me how to get to that infinity soul glitch place as early as possible?

If you don't enjoy it, maybe the game's not for you. Infinite souls will not make the game suddenly fun if you don't like the underlying gameplay. You'll just be even more frustrated when your level 700 character still gets taken down in a matter of seconds over and over again. If you lack patience, or for whatever other reason just don't enjoy the game, your time will be better spent doing something else.

maomaoIYP

Sarcasm said:
Started as a pyro. I got the drake sword and a black knight shield. I have enough STR to wield the sword 1h.

I get to a point where both come out than I try to run and split them up but they never do.

The key to surviving the fight with melee is to kill one of them as quickly as possible, so that when the 2nd one comes, you don't have to deal with the both of them. If you can't do it still, you might want to go down to the depths or darkroot forest to level a little bit.

tiddles

Sarcasm said:

Hey, I'm at almost exactly the same place! I beat the Gargoyles last night after taking a detour back to the Asylum. I'm about soul level 21, using the Drake Sword and the Dragon Shield (you can steal this easily from the Valley Of Drakes if you have the Master Key). Initially I died a lot, but eventually it clicked and I beat them.

For the first gargoyle, lock on and keep your shield up. The Gargoyle's attacks will take off half your stamina, but there usually a gap inbetween attacks which allows you to get it back. Move up close and use a heavy strike with the Drake Sword between attacks, keeping you stamina high. I struggled at first because I was using heavy armour, and therefore not moving quick enough... as long as you are using a shield with 100% physical defence, you can actually wear light armour for this encounter and keep yourself mobile. Attack it from behind to cut off the tail and get the Gargoyle Axe.

When the second Gargoyle appears, initially concentrate on staying out of range of its fire. The online guides tend to talk about focusing on the first one, but I found I died a lot until I really learnt to stay out of the way of the second guy first! Having the Dragon Shield also helps because it has 70% fire resistance, so you can take reduced damage as long as you are facing the gargoyle and have the shield up. Don't get trapped at one end of the roof where you can't back out of range...

Once you are comfortable keeping out of the way of the flames (or minimising your damage from them), you'll notice that the first gargoyle still occasionally jumps ahead of his buddy - this is your opportunity to finish him off. The second guy is quite easy on his own, just keep your shield up, get close and hack away.

linko9 said:
If you don't enjoy it, maybe the game's not for you. Infinite souls will not make the game suddenly fun if you don't like the underlying gameplay. You'll just be even more frustrated when your level 700 character still gets taken down in a matter of seconds over and over again. If you lack patience, or for whatever other reason just don't enjoy the game, your time will be better spent doing something else.
how do you know maxed out stats can still die in seconds? did you try infinite souls?

I can play through the entire game slowly, but i just dont enjoy it. I beat demon's souls, never enjoyed it. dying is not fun.

tiddles

Ladyboy101 said:
how do you know maxed out stats can still die in seconds? did you try infinite souls?

I can play through the entire game slowly, but i just dont enjoy it. I beat demon's souls, never enjoyed it. dying is not fun.

The thrill of the game comes from the challenge - it wouldn't be fun anymore if you made it super easy.

Just a thought, but why did you keep playing Demon's Souls if you weren't enjoying it?

maomaoIYP

Ladyboy101 said:

You may not enjoy the trip down to get the stuff required for the glitch.

Ladyboy101 said:

I have glitched and u still die from falls and being impatient. Btw u need to be at a decent high level to even get the dragon headstone as u need to go through the depths, blighttown and the hollow etc. I was level 60 when I did it.

Glitching means u will have better equipment but the underlying game is still the same.

tiddles said:
The thrill of the game comes from the challenge - it wouldn't be fun anymore if you made it super easy.

Just a thought, but why did you keep playing Demon's Souls if you weren't enjoying it?
i played demon souls was when OMA noobtubes were allover the place in MW2, I had no other game to play.

i like games like ninja gaiden and devil may cry on hardest difficulty, hard sure. but i can also pull out deadly combos to kill everything.

the problem i have for this series is character i control is very clumsy and fragile.

Sarcasm

maomaoIYP said:
The key to surviving the fight with melee is to kill one of them as quickly as possible, so that when the 2nd one comes, you don't have to deal with the both of them. If you can't do it still, you might want to go down to the depths or darkroot forest to level a little bit.

I might go farm for a bit and see the game than try again, how do I get to depths or dark forest?

tiddles said:
Hey, I'm at almost exactly the same place! I beat the Gargoyles last night after taking a detour back to the Asylum. I'm about soul level 21, using the Drake Sword and the Dragon Shield (you can steal this easily from the Valley Of Drakes if you have the Master Key). Initially I died a lot, but eventually it clicked and I beat them.

For the first gargoyle, lock on and keep your shield up. The Gargoyle's attacks will take off half your stamina, but there usually a gap inbetween attacks which allows you to get it back. Move up close and use a heavy strike with the Drake Sword between attacks, keeping you stamina high. I struggled at first because I was using heavy armour, and therefore not moving quick enough... as long as you are using a shield with 100% physical defence, you can actually wear light armour for this encounter and keep yourself mobile. Attack it from behind to cut off the tail and get the Gargoyle Axe.

When the second Gargoyle appears, initially concentrate on staying out of range of its fire. The online guides tend to talk about focusing on the first one, but I found I died a lot until I really learnt to stay out of the way of the second guy first! Having the Dragon Shield also helps because it has 70% fire resistance, so you can take reduced damage as long as you are facing the gargoyle and have the shield up. Don't get trapped at one end of the roof where you can't back out of range...

Once you are comfortable keeping out of the way of the flames (or minimising your damage from them), you'll notice that the first gargoyle still occasionally jumps ahead of his buddy - this is your opportunity to finish him off. The second guy is quite easy on his own, just keep your shield up, get close and hack away.

Awesome thanks! I do have the master key, so how do I obtain this shield?

Dresden

Ladyboy101 said:
i played demon souls was when OMA noobtubes were allover the place in MW2, I had no other game to play.

i like games like ninja gaiden and devil may cry on hardest difficulty, hard sure. but i can also pull out deadly combos to kill everything.

the problem i have for this series is character i control is very clumsy and fragile.
Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty is more demanding control/reflex-wise than Dark Souls...

maomaoIYP

Sarcasm said:
I might go farm for a bit and see the game than try again, how do I get to depths or dark forest?

Awesome thanks! I do have the master key, so how do I obtain this shield?

Depths: By now you should have the basement key. Remember the place you went to just after the Taurus Demon? It's where you meet Solarie. There's a door there that you can now open. Inside you will find an area with the Capra Demon boss. Before you kill him, explore a bit and open a shortcut that will lead you back to the firelink shrine. After you kill him you will get a key to open a nearby door into the depths.

Darkroot forest: Next to the blacksmith, there's a titanite demon in a huge room. Behind the demon is the darkroot forest. Alternatively, you can use the master to open the door that was at the bottom of the tower to the Taurus Demon. Kill the armored dude with magic or backstabs, then progress out the bottom of the tower.

Dragon crest shield: From the firelink shrine bonfire, there is a staircase downwards facing that guy that just sits there. Go all the way down to find an elevator. Once you've reached the bottom, go outside and turn right immediately and go up a small staircase. Use the master key to open the gate. Cross the wooden plank bridge you see, and follow the grassy ledge to another wooden bridge. You should see a huge ass sleeping monster in front. Just go there, grab the 2 nearest items and run back to where you can from.

edit: I noticed that you've already got the black knight shield, if you can use equip that, you don't need the dragon crest shield anymore. The black knight shield has the highest fire damage reduction of all shields.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Ladyboy101 said:

The character is clumsy? No.

You may be clumsy controlling him, but the game is not clumsy.

deim0s

I'm at the Crystal Caves...
first invisible walk to a corpse + a sniping spot for a more developed moonlit butterfly.

She basically two-shots me. What now?

Eusis

deim0s said:
She basically two-shots me. What now?
Don't attack it again and proceed onwards.

... Actually, this is one of the more obtuse and badly designed parts of the game:
on that middle, uhh, platform crystal as it were, the one before the dead end one, you can go to the far end onto the crystal mass there, and jump off there. Poorly designed because the collision detection makes it seem as if you're hitting an invisible wall unless you're walking from JUST the right angle, generally along the upwards facing corner of the crystal, then you have to make a leap of faith (you'll probably see signs about where, otherwise look for where crystal dust lands) to proceed onwards.
You may want to watch a youtube video to see where.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Spent a week away from this due to work, but got back into it this weekend. Finally beat Ornstein and Smough, I dropped the controller and just gave a massive sigh, it had taken so long. In the end it wasn't too bad - I think my mistake was keeping away from 2nd Smough, letting him use that charge attack which I hate. Keep close to him and he just does jump attacks which you can roll/dodge, then attack. First time he did his charge/lightning blast I nearly shat myself.

After that I spent some time in the catacombs. Pinwheel was a piece of piss, but tomb of the giants got frustrating after a while. So I left and levelled up my intelligence a couple of points until I could use 'cast light' and it was much better. Nito was a bit of a pain but I used my divine falchion on the skeles and then kept close to him with my furysword so he couldn't use his 'stab up through the floor' move.

So catacombs/TotG done, where now?

deim0s

Thanks Eusis.

@mrklaw
You have the Lord Vessel, give it to Frampt,
or work your way to New Londo for Four Kings and Kaathe
to access the other locked areas.

V_Arnold

I wonder how many DMC/NG fan will come to Dark Souls thinking that just because they took the time to master one gameplay system, they can be totally ignorant regarding Dark Souls's own laws, rules and movement attributes, and just fail and whine later....

Guys, put the time in, use your brain, get to know the basics.

Ok guys, I've overcome Seath the Scaleless, and I now am heading to the catacombs. I already completed new londo ruins. So just wondering how long the catacombs/tomb of giants and demon ruins areas will take me? Guesstimate of course. I'm level 71 maybe 72 now if I recall right. Also for as many people complaining about Crystal caves, I thought it was easy as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom