• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crystal caves wasnt difficult, it was just badly designed and pointless as an area.

To me everything up to and including Anor Londo was fine (Blight town sucked a bit) and Dukes Archives were good stages..the rest after that have been me just wanting to finish the game so i can end it

V_Arnold said:
I wonder how many DMC/NG fan will come to Dark Souls thinking that just because they took the time to master one gameplay system, they can be totally ignorant regarding Dark Souls's own laws, rules and movement attributes, and just fail and whine later....

Guys, put the time in, use your brain, get to know the basics.

I agree. And I love DMC and Bayonetta too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok guys, I've overcome Seath the Scaleless, and I now am heading to the catacombs. I already completed new londo ruins. So just wondering how long the catacombs/tomb of giants and demon ruins areas will take me? Guesstimate of course. I'm level 71 maybe 72 now if I recall right. Also for as many people complaining about Crystal caves, I thought it was easy as hell.

I didn't find the catacombs/TotG too bad. Fairly linear, a few switches to throw here and there. You'll really want a 'cast light' spell (check your INT is high enough to cast it, I had to level up a bit), and a divine weapon for skeletons, but I quite enjoyed both sections.

mrklaw said:
I didn't find the catacombs/TotG too bad. Fairly linear, a few switches to throw here and there. You'll really want a 'cast light' spell (check your INT is high enough to cast it, I had to level up a bit), and a divine weapon for skeletons, but I quite enjoyed both sections.

Try as a pure melee character :|

Was not fun. I agree the game seemed to peak at Anor Londo. Actually if it had just ended there I would have been pretty happy with it. As it is, I'm reluctant to go NG+ because of the length

mrklaw

MrArseFace
toddhunter said:
Try as a pure melee character :|

Was not fun. I agree the game seemed to peak at Anor Londo. Actually if it had just ended there I would have been pretty happy with it. As it is, I'm reluctant to go NG+ because of the length

I'm pretty much melee. Started as Wanderer, using winged spear/lightning spear/furysword. I just have a couple of fireballs as backup.

Ourobolus

Banned
Made some good progress last night, took out Queelag and Ceaseless Discharge, and finally got to Sen's Fortress. Then, of course, I was
eaten by a chest.
Lesson learned. :(

Ourobolus said:
Made some good progress last night, took out Queelag and Ceaseless Discharge, and finally got to Sen's Fortress. Then, of course, I was
eaten by a chest.
Lesson learned. :(
that chest gives you a good weapon...

vodka-bull said:
To FROM: Are you kidding me?
Crystal Caves, balancing on invisible paths, are you serious?

Yep. And the dark souls defenders will be "Oh you just dont get it its a brilliant piece of game design just follow the snow flakes!"

in other words. its cheap, its lazy, its boring, it adds nothing to the game or the story and you just basically have to bring a bow and arrow and shoot the "ground" to get across or watch a walktrhough. i fell off a few times but its not that hard....it just..sucks. Another testament to the fact that they really ran out of ideas through the last half of this game and went for cheap rather than well designed.

V_Arnold

Phat Michael said:
Yep. And the dark souls defenders will be "Oh you just dont get it its a brilliant piece of game design just follow the snow flakes!"

in other words. its cheap, its lazy, its boring, it adds nothing to the game or the story and you just basically have to bring a bow and arrow and shoot the "ground" to get across or watch a walktrhough. i fell off a few times but its not that hard....it just..sucks. Another testament to the fact that they really ran out of ideas through the last half of this game and went for cheap rather than well designed.

Why do you call out on people that have not even arrive yet?

I had no problems with the Crystal Cave. I knew that I was on a pathway, and I saw where it will lead ( by waiting a few seconds and checking the flakes), and then I proceeded STRAIGHT. Only one place needs turning, and that was intentional also.

I memorized the few lanes instantly, then went on without ever having any fear. No issues with it. None.

Phat Michael said:

Huh? There's sparkly stuff falling that clearly shows where the paths are. I can't believe people are able to miss it.

Phat Michael said:

I am playing online and there are enough messages on the walkways to get across, however, I still think that this ain't a good level design. It reminds me of mario 64, I remember there was a level where you also had a hidden path at which you had to balance across, but at least that wasn't hard as Mario didn't instantly fall off the cliff whenever you crossed the edge (at least when you walked slowly and cautious).

And to make it all worse I'm out of arrows. Next time I visit the merchant I'm gonna buy thousands of them...
Huh? There's sparkly stuff falling that clearly shows where the paths are. I can't believe people are able to miss it.
Indeed, but those are very small and easy to oversee.
Additionally, I am always scared to death whenever it comes to heights in games. I just hate them, my hands get sweaty, I'm getting nervous, my heartbeat gets faster, and Dark Souls is filled with those things. Tomb of the Giants was another example of cheap level design. One misstep and you die, and it's not the dieing part that I hate (actually, I got used to it throughout the game) but the falling off the cliff thing.

Eusis

deim0s said:
Thanks Eusis.
No problem.

Phat Michael said:

Honestly, I don't think this is the kind of thing most will defend. I'd defend, say, some aimlessness at the start, and even to an extent how some areas are blocked off you may've worked to until later in the game, but those three final areas are bullshit in some way. At least there Prism Stones help too, the only serious use I ever had for them or their Demon's Souls equivalent.
SchleimanTank said:
Not for me.
The
mimic jumped into the elevator shaft
and disappeared.
Now I'm stuck with the drake sword for a while I guess.

:/
Haha, I had the same thing happen except on my offline, soul duped character. In that case it was more hilarious then anything else; the character's too broken to really be upset about one stupid incident.

Crystal Caves wasn't hard to navigate, I thought it was pretty cool.

When I first got there I saw messages all over the place about where the path was. After I figured out that you had to watch the snowflakes it became a breeze. Started leaving message trails of my own to help people out.

vodka-bull said:
I am playing online and there are enough messages on the walkways to get across, however, I still think that this ain't a good level design. It reminds me of mario 64, I remember there was a level where you also had a hidden path at which you had to balance across, but at least that wasn't hard as Mario didn't instantly fall off the cliff whenever you crossed the edge (at least when you walked slowly and cautious).

And to make it all worse I'm out of arrows. Next time I visit the merchant I'm gonna buy thousands of them...
Indeed, but those are very small and easy to oversee.
Additionally, I am always scared to death whenever it comes to heights in games. I just hate them, my hands get sweaty, I'm getting nervous, my heartbeat gets faster, and Dark Souls is filled with those things. Tomb of the Giants was another example of cheap level design. One misstep and you die, and it's not the dieing part that I hate (actually, I got used to it throughout the game) but the falling off the cliff thing.

Eh, fair enough. There are some shitty design decisions but I didn't find that to be one. If the paths were curved or whatever then I would agree, but I just sprinted across them.

Lost Ivalice is bad though, as well as those respawning flying things in Blighttown. Now THAT is lazy design.

orion434

My Battle-Mage build is so much fun and Strong Magic Shield has been keeping the invaders at bay. As soon as they show up I just wear the rings that make my socery spells last longer and hit harder, and with the Crown of Dusk if all 5 of my Homing Crystal Soulmass hit the damage is > 1,500. I've gotten plenty of hate messages.

I'm now in NG+ and I just have a few more weapon Achievements and then Knight's Honor. I just have to make sure I cut off Pricillia's tail and make the 2nd set of Boss Soul Weapons.

Just a side-note, Quelanna in Blight Town didn't show up, I think it was because Larasurs asked me about my Ascended Pyromancy Flame before I even went to Blight Town. So my advice for Pyromancers in NG+, speak to him once... buy all his stuff and then make your way to Blight Town.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Funnily enough, when I got to crystal caves I had no idea where to go after that first
Butterfly

So after combing over the corner looking for a sign or anything for about 20 minutes, I just gave up and jumped off the edge to commit suicide.

Low and behold, I didn't die. :)

I lost 60k souls in Crystal Caverns because I landed on what I thought was a safe platform but my character slipped off and died. It turns out I landed on the wrong part of it. I'm still pissed about that.

Losing souls and humanity to this game's shitty platforming never feels good. I swear to God I've died more times falling to my death than anything else.

Kalnos

Banned
I don't like the Crystal Caves but there's only one path that I can remember that isn't a straight line and that path is optional. The only place where I feel complaining is really justified is Lost Izalith and even that is manageable, just annoying and tedious.

johntown

Banned
rayner said:
My Battle-Mage build is so much fun and Strong Magic Shield has been keeping the invaders at bay. As soon as they show up I just wear the rings that make my socery spells last longer and hit harder, and with the Crown of Dusk if all 5 of my Homing Crystal Soulmass hit the damage is > 1,500. I've gotten plenty of hate messages.
Sounds like my guy too. However, I do not use strong magic shield unless either they are or they are wearing the ring of fog or using it themselves. If they are wearing the fog ring then I use traquil walk of peace, strong magic shield and then blast them with the homing crystal soulmass.

If they elect not to use the fog ring then I will fight with my katana and magic and not use cheap spells.

Baloonatic said:
Eh, fair enough. There are some shitty design decisions but I didn't find that to be one. If the paths were curved or whatever then I would agree, but I just sprinted across them.

Lost Ivalice is bad though, as well as those respawning flying things in Blighttown. Now THAT is lazy design.
Lol, I think you mean Izalith. Playing too much Final Fantasy Tactics?

orion434

johntown said:
Sounds like my guy too. However, I do not use strong magic shield unless either they are or they are wearing the ring of fog or using it themselves. If they are wearing the fog ring then I use traquil walk of peace, strong magic shield and then blast them with the homing crystal soulmass.

If they elect not to use the fog ring then I will fight with my katana and magic and not use cheap spells.

I really wish there was an option to "turn off" Invasions but still be able to summon. I like the idea of helping others, but being invaded is kinda a dick-move in my book. So I tend to think they deserve it.

I'm gonna have a tough time with Gravelord Nito... just too many skeletons and Homing Solumass doesn't always target what you want.

Zzoram

vodka-bull said:
To FROM: Are you kidding me?
Crystal Caves, balancing on invisible paths, are you serious?

Crystal Caves is nothing to complain about. It has TWO WIDE STRAIGHT LINE invisible paths, both of which are usually littered with messages or can be found by watching snowflakes land on them. The only other one that matters is a narrower curved one leading to the Blue Titanite Slab, but that one is also often covered with messages and you could just buy those Prism Stones to light the path for you, that's what they're for.

After dying to the boss, my 2nd time through I ran right through the level without even thinking about the invisible bridges and got back to the boss in like 3 minutes, if that. Seriously, not a big deal. In NG+ I won't even bother using Prism Stones since the path is so simple.

Zzoram

rayner said:
I really wish there was an option to "turn off" Invasions but still be able to summon. I like the idea of helping others, but being invaded is kinda a dick-move in my book. So I tend to think they deserve it.

I'm gonna have a tough time with Gravelord Nito... just too many skeletons and Homing Solumass doesn't always target what you want.

Join the Way of the White covenant. It dramatically reduces you as an invasion priority. You can still be invaded, but it happens far less often.

GeekyDad

rayner said:

There is. It's called staying hollow.

Zzoram said:
Crystal Caves is nothing to complain about. It has TWO WIDE STRAIGHT LINE invisible paths, both of which are usually littered with messages or can be found by watching snowflakes land on them. The only other one that matters is a narrower curved one leading to the Blue Titanite Slab, but that one is also often covered with messages and you could just buy those Prism Stones to light the path for you, that's what they're for.

After dying to the boss, my 2nd time through I ran right through the level without even thinking about the invisible bridges and got back to the boss in like 3 minutes, if that. Seriously, not a big deal. In NG+ I won't even bother using Prism Stones since the path is so simple.
Exactly, it's really not bad at all. I actually enjoyed the section because of the aesthetic design. It was short and there wasn't much to it but I found it interesting enough for what is basically just a glorified boss cavern.

Not every area in the game is supposed to be a fully fledged section that takes you hours to progress through. The Abyss, anyone?

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
mrklaw said:

If he goes to Izalith before TotG, he can get a very, very nice light-source helmet. I got it accidentally before doing TotG, and it made that area so much easier for me. No need to waste souls on int if it's not his main stat.

Eusis

Most of my annoyance from Crystal Cave actually comes from that one part where collision detection is shit. There's a similar problem in the Great Hollow too actually, but in both cases you NEED to go a certain direction, but the hit detection is treating it like you can't cross it, and if you don't approach it the right way you're not getting up. Doesn't help in both cases you could easily screw up and fall to your death just trying to do it right.

Really though, only Tomb of the Giants was actually HARD for these three areas, it's just all three had a really dumb gimmick or just outright lazy design to be "hard".

Finalow

does Andre of Astora drop the item of 20'000 souls that enable you to open the door in the forest?
I saw that in a speedrun but i don't know if it's a glitch or not. In the wiki there is nothing about this.

johntown

Banned
rayner said:

Oh come on invasions are fun especialy once you get the hang of PVP. I know I really enjoy ruining other people's games. I don't know about anyone else but I always get a rush when someone invades me or when I invade. Because you never know what to expect because everyone plays different.

Kyoufu

finalozzo said:
does Andre of Astora drop the item of 20'000 souls that enable you to open the door in the forest?
I saw that in a speedrun but i don't know if it's a glitch or not. In the wiki there is nothing about this.

Yes he does. I think any NPC that holds a key will drop it if you kill him/her.

Zzoram

I like being invaded personally. It's usually so exciting. It only sucks if they used the Red Eye Orb and you don't get the prompt alerting you to the invasion, and suddenly a barrel you walked by shoots you in the back with a Crystal Soul Spear.

Zzoram

slasher_thrasher21 said:
My magic is too low to cast that light spell but I heard there was a hat or something that casts light. Anyone know where I can find it.

It's in the short cut between Demon Ruins to the middle of Lost Izalith. Just before the 2nd boss in Demon Ruins, there is a hole in the wall to the right, with a tree root forming a path down. At the end of the tunnel is a dead end. If you are in the Chaos Covenant (Quelaag's Demain, her sister offers it) and are Rank +2 (you gave her 30 Humanity) then you can touch the wall and it disappears, forming a longer tunnel. Along the way, you'll encounter some bugs to kill and find the Sunlight Maggot helmet that glows in the dark.

Once the short cut is open, you can leave the Chaos Covenant if you want and it will stay open. It lets you skip the lava with headless dinosaurs part of the level, the part that everyone says is their least favorite part of the game.

orion434

GeekyDad said:
There is. It's called staying hollow.

Yeah, but I can't be summoned or summon in Hollow Form. I wouldn't care so much if there were Bonfires closer to boss rooms, but Anor Londo in Human form is just waiting for an invasion.

I joined the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant so I can help people get those Sunlight Medals.

Zzoram

rayner said:
Yeah, but I can't be summoned or summon in Hollow Form. I wouldn't care so much if there were Bonfires closer to boss rooms, but Anor Londo in Human form is just waiting for an invasion.

I joined the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant so I can help people get those Sunlight Medals.

Um you CAN be summoned as a hollow, you just can't invade or summon others.

Anor Londo is one of the 3 PvP zones in the game.

Drakeroot Garden, Anor Londo, and Kiln of the First Flame is where people hang out for hours just doing PvP.

johntown

Banned
Zzoram said:
I like being invaded personally. It's usually so exciting. It only sucks if they used the Red Eye Orb and you don't get the prompt alerting you to the invasion, and suddenly a barrel you walked by shoots you in the back with a Crystal Soul Spear.
Hmm I did not know that. Since I am on NG+ and mostly playing in human form I will make it a point to hit all barrels and destructable objects.

Zzoram

johntown said:
Hmm I did not know that. Since I am on NG+ and mostly playing in human form I will make it a point to hit all barrels and destructable objects.

Your first time being surprised by a barrel or urn sneak attack is super exciting, believe me. I was laughing out loud for a minute, it was so great.

Xanathus

Zzoram said:
I'm very sure that the host gets prompted when you invade via Cracked Orbs or the Red Eye Orb.

soldat7

Zzoram said:

I can't wait to see how things change with the new patch. Being invaded can certainly be an exciting, mano-a-mano event, but generally it's "Oh cool, got invaded (again) and one-shotted (again) by someone I couldn't even see."

The fair fights are, at the risk of sounding cliche, epic.

johntown

Banned
Zzoram said:
Your first time being surprised by a barrel or urn sneak attack is super exciting, believe me. I was laughing out loud for a minute, it was so great.
Sounds pretty interesting......I cannot wait. The other day in Anor Londo I got invaded right in the begining. The guy ran ahead of me and kept spinning there stairs around. I kept waving and shruging and finally he came down ran at me and I switched to my magic really quick and killed him.

Not really sure what he was doing or if he thought I would go all the way through the rafters again. I could have summoned help but the invader was clearly inexperienced in PVP so I let him have his fun then killed him once he came at me.

Zzoram

Xanathus said:
I'm very sure that the host gets prompted when you invade via Cracked Orbs or the Red Eye Orb.

Really? Dang. I could've sworn that one of the PvP invasion methods is supposed to not prompt the host. The wikispaces says the Red Eye Orb doesn't alert the host, but the host being fog wall contained into an area should be a dead giveaway that an invader is in his game.

soldat7

Zzoram said:
Um you CAN be summoned as a hollow, you just can't invade or summon others.

Exactly. It's a great way to learn boss patterns at no risk to yourself ;)

Plus it's just darn satisfying helping one or two dudes take out a tough enemy or leading them through a tough level. Some of my best experiences have been from being summoned as a Hollow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom