• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyT

kodt said:
Man Solaire and Laurtec suck ass against Gaping Dragon in NG+

Summoned them both thinking I'll go in beat it easily. They helped distract it but I don't think they did any damage to it really. Took two attempts and both times they got themselves killed.

This boss is in the running for most easiest boss in the game...

-Wait until he bends back to reveal teeth.
-Strafe/Stay away from him (far enough not to get hit, but not too far so he does a different move) until he slams down.
-Get out of his path as he's running straight from this point (usually into a wall)
-Get behind to cut tail (stand at base of tail and damage)

Repeat above until tail is cut, then repeat some more until he's dead. You should never need to heal. The only instance where you *might* need to is if you get to close to his body and he steps on you or something when running for damage from behind.

Unless I'm just super lucky or whatever, but he has been very lackluster.

TommyT said:

-Strafe/Stay away from him (far enough not to get hit, but not too far so he does a different move) until he slams down.
-Get out of his path as he's running straight from this point (usually into a wall)

Repeat above until tail is cut, then repeat some more until he's dead. You should never need to heal. The only instance where you *might* need to is if you get to close to his body and he steps on you or something when running for damage from behind.

Yeah, I totally agree. I beat this boss the first time I fought him and have beaten him another three times and so far he's never even hit me. The only problem I have had is keeping Solaire alive through the fight, since he's an idiot and just charges into him over and over again.

scy

sleepykyo said:
They could carry around resins. I can't lightning resin the golem axe even though it has no special ability, magical damage or elemental damage. The heck?

I don't really know how well the Resins are, actually; I know at 50 INT that CMW is looking to add around 330 listed power (25 INT is around 240) with Logan's Catalyst. Been meaning to check to see how that scales per weapon of it's a flat figure (in which case, 99 INT is +350). I guess I'll give that a shot when I get off work.

anddo0 said:
Screw Seath, and screw From.. The stupid moonlight sword is the only thing standing between me and the platinum.. As if getting behind him wasn't tough enough (he circles forever, even with the ring that makes you silent), his stupid tail refuses to come off. I'm playing NG++ so you only get but a few opportunities to strike before he kills you.

I had the same problem, took me forever to hit the tip of the tail which I guess has the appropriate hit box.

Venfayth

Gaping Dragon:

stand next to wall, when he does smash move, run up and hit him. when he gets up, he will charge, side step it and run to opposite wall, rinse&repeat.

orion434

anddo0 said:
Screw Seath, and screw From.. The stupid moonlight sword is the only thing standing between me and the platinum.. As if getting behind him wasn't tough enough (he circles forever, even with the ring that makes you silent), his stupid tail refuses to come off. I'm playing NG++ so you only get but a few opportunities to strike before he kills you.

I watched a video about how to lure him to the mist-gate to reposition him, then have him attack at just the right time and then get in 1-hit and then retreat back to the gate. I had on the Dark Grain Ring + Slumbering Dragoncrest ring. It took a long time, but relatively safe and then only part you have to worry about is when you actually cut the tail off because he goes balistic when he does...

johntown

Banned
rayner said:
I watched a video about how to lure him to the mist-gate to reposition him, then have him attack at just the right time and then get in 1-hit and then retreat back to the gate. I had on the Dark Grain Ring + Slumbering Dragoncrest ring. It took a long time, but relatively safe and then only part you have to worry about is when you actually cut the tail off because he goes balistic when he does...
I am not looking forward to this or having to get that stupid trident for the weapons trophy.

scy

johntown said:
I am not looking forward to this or having to get that stupid trident for the weapons trophy.

Honestly, it's not so bad. You really shouldn't get hit at all while you're waiting for the opening to hit Seath's tail. At least, I've never really had that issue. Sprint around in circles forever as he uselessly does things where you're not at. I had more issues with his tail clipping through the wall when I was in position :/

Yuterald

Soulhouf said:
The problem is that the game does not reward spending points in STR/DEX.
What they need to do is increase STR/DEX scaling to fix that.

This. I also don't understand why programmers would make super cool secret weapons like Smough's Hammer and then give them a D Rank modifier in STR. I should be ANNIHILATING with that shit with a strong STR build. It just seems logical to me, big weapon, big STR, big damage. This is currently not the case and it's disappointing. Demon's Souls was the same way.

That's one reason why I think their older games, like King's Field, do some aspects better still. You got a weapon in King's Field, you could use it immediately, and the more you use it the stronger the weapon became and I believe your base STR would increase. That makes sense to me. The way Demon's/Dark souls handles equipment DOES NOT make sense to me.
Each possible build should ideally be comparable to the next and clearly mages and now pyromancers have the upper hand in these games, damage wise that is.

falconzss

I need some Sunlight Medals but won't get summoned. Already tried different spots which still worked fine while being with other covenants. This sucks...

orion434

johntown said:

The Channeler's Trident is pretty easy if you farm the Channeler in The Duke's Archive when you exit the prison, just go up the ladder, fight 2 melee and 1 bow crystal enemies and then the Channeler, go back to the bonfire and repeat.

mattp

Defuser said:
Actually if you look closer,there's more than 4 kings.
well I don't know what happened cuz after a few tries I beat them again, but this time when the main up bar emptied it immediately played a cutscene. I think the game fucked up the first time

BeeDog

Platinum trophy GET, took me 2.5 playthroughs. Feels good to have 100%'d both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. :D Now I'm taking a long break from this game, completely OD'd on it.

BeeDog said:
Platinum trophy GET, took me 2.5 playthroughs. Feels good to have 100%'d both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. :D Now I'm taking a long break from this game, completely OD'd on it.

I take it that .5 playthrough was just to get Sif's soul for that last third unique weapon/shield?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yuterald said:
The way Demon's/Dark souls handles equipment DOES NOT make sense to me.
Each possible build should ideally be comparable to the next and clearly mages and now pyromancers have the upper hand in these games, damage wise that is.
Yeah, it's very very strange. I'd like to go to a small, fast dex-oriented weapon because that's how I'd like to fight, but I find myself going back to the same elemental scaling weapons as everyone else because they're just better.

Septimius

johntown said:
Like what?

This game is not rock-papers-scissors. It's rock-rock, paper-paper, scissors-scissors.

The only way to be someone is by meeting their strategy. I invaded some guy yesterday that only used all the heaviest weapons in the game, and did whatever mean R2 attack they had. AoEs, blasts, forward slashes, what have you. The only way I beat him was by using crystal shield on him.

You need to be agile to fight agile, and you need to be heavy to fight heavy.

Then you say "oh, but you can be agile and fight someone heavy", and I'd say "yeah, in many cases. And I beat most of those that I am even suggesting I can't beat". Why? Because if I don't have enough poise (which I get through heavy armor), people running with heavy armor and relying on one hit to stun-lock you and continue hitting you until you die will kill me if they hit me once.

Yeah, I'm agile, I can roll around and then backstab them, but I'm DEX, and no DEX weapon can one-shot anyone. 2h backstab rarely does more than half the HP. This means that the chance of being hit (especially considering some of the ridiculous strategies some people use) and thus killed is much greater than being able to get in 3 backstabs.

If you meet someone that has refined their techniques, you better play their game if you're gonna have a chance.

Like if someone uses slow AOE, fog ring and throws fireballs at you from a distance. You won't be able to do anything against a person like that unless you play the same game.

This game allows for some strategies that are completely bizarrely over-powered. The only counter argument is that you can do exactly the same back. It's not fun, it's not good, it's just a lack of understanding what will happen when you allow people to use the slow spell on each other.

kodt

Banned
TommyT said:

Yeah I think I died just b/c I expected it to be super easy with the two NPC phantoms. Second try I was more careful and stuck to the sides and it was fine. First time I wasn't really trying, just surprised that they did next to no damage, also my Claymore +15 seemed to barely hurt him. Second attempt I used Gold Pine Resin, I just figured it wouldn't be necessary the first time.

scosher

Akuun said:
Yeah, it's very very strange. I'd like to go to a small, fast dex-oriented weapon because that's how I'd like to fight, but I find myself going back to the same elemental scaling weapons as everyone else because they're just better.

That or the game should've included more incentive (besides extra damage) for pumping up Str or Dex. As is (and the same really holds true for Demon's Souls), a spellsword or Faith build can have access to similar weapons, similar or even better scaling once ascended to their respective class, while also having access to spells/miracles. Str at least gives you access to heavier weapons, but there's very little reason to make a dex build in this game. If you like fast, dex-oriented weapons, you're much better off just getting the bare minimum for that weapon and then focusing on Int or Faith.

They could've increased movement speed for Dex characters, give them the ninja cartwheel after 30 dex as once was rumored (without the Grain Ring), and/or make the character do more damage with criticals/ripostes. Supposedly you cast pyromancy spells faster with high dex, but I can't confirm that as I haven't made one.

Yuterald said:
This. I also don't understand why programmers would make super cool secret weapons like Smough's Hammer and then give them a D Rank modifier in STR. I should be ANNIHILATING with that shit with a strong STR build. It just seems logical to me, big weapon, big STR, big damage. This is currently not the case and it's disappointing. Demon's Souls was the same way.

That's one reason why I think their older games, like King's Field, do some aspects better still. You got a weapon in King's Field, you could use it immediately, and the more you use it the stronger the weapon became and I believe your base STR would increase. That makes sense to me. The way Demon's/Dark souls handles equipment DOES NOT make sense to me.

This game loves to troll. I believe one of the best shields is +15 Hollow Shield, the best catalyst is the starting catalyst (maybe save Logan's Catalyst but only at 50+ int) and the best sword is made from +10 broken sword.

Prototype-03 said:
This game loves to troll. I believe one of the best shields is +15 Hollow Shield, the best catalyst is the starting catalyst (maybe save Logan's Catalyst but only at 50+ int) and the best sword is made from +10 broken sword.

Isn't Hollow Shield +15 only the best in Stability?

Shields are tough because they offer different reduction % for different dmg types. Hollow Shield isn't that great for MAG dmg. Unless, when upgrading, shields reduction % increase (I never noticed?)

SublimeO12

Neo Member
Prototype-03 said:

What sword is the best sword, greatsword of arstoras? The stats dont look that great to me.

tokkun

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Isn't Hollow Shield +15 only the best in Stability?

Shields are tough because they offer different reduction % for different dmg types. Hollow Shield isn't that great for MAG dmg. Unless, when upgrading, shields reduction % increase (I never noticed?)

No, damage reduction does not change.

Hollow Shield is probably the best defensive PvE shield due to its stability to weight ratio. For PvP, not so much.

Sullichin

vodka-bull said:
Whenever I level up STR, I don't get anymore more attack power, why is that so? Sitting at 33 STR.

You probably have a weapon that doesn't scale with strength or has very little strength scaling. took me too long to realize this.

kodt

Banned
Prototype-03 said:

One thing that is weird to me is that Smough's Armor is the best in the game pretty much. Yes it is super heavy, but if your endurance is high enough + Havel's ring and you can stay under 50% equip then no armor is better.

I didn't think his armor was that hard to get. You just kill him second and then you can buy it later.

Even stuff like Paladin Armor, Black Iron, Black Knight, Silver Knight armor upgraded to max still isn't as good. Seems like upgrading a full set with Twinkling Titanite would be more difficult but it isn't really worth it.

TommyT

Prototype-03 said:

I despise the over-use of this now.

That said, the other bolded isn't something new at all. Lots of games have the 'best' upgrade of an item come from it's crappiest version.

vilmer_

I just invaded someone only to have them nail me right through my shield and slaughter me. It's like I didn't even have a shield equipped :/

scy said:
At 48 INT, Sorceror's = Logan's. Unfortunately, when I went ahead and decided to raise my INT to 50 it was when I had just gotten Logan's and the TCC :/ Completely forgot about Beatrice's and the Izalith ones. Maybe if I ever make another caster, I guess...

Occult scales normally at 40-50 so it's still worth it for that; it also has the same issue with Talisman scaling as Catalysts do so you need 48+ to get the most out of the Darkmoon Talisman. Besides that, yeah, not much reason to get to 50 :/

You seem knowledgable about catalysts -- why would anyone want to use the Tin Darkmoon catalyst? If you're a FAITH build pretending to know some sorcery? Say 50 FAITH, 25 INT?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Anor Londo sniper knight on the ledge down in 2 tries. Just had to make sure you approach head on, roll under his shot when you're close and make him unseath his sword. Got Havel's armor/shield as well now. Pure tank action.

TommyT

vodka-bull said:
Then which weapons do scale with STR?

There are a lot. Here is a general page that you should help you.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Weapons

Look for " Requirements ParamBonus " and under that column, the first sub-column with a bicep is the strength scaling. If there is a letter there it scales. The better the letter (S, A, B, C, D, E with S being the best and E being the worst) the more you'll get out of putting a points into that stat.

BeeDog

KoreanBarbecue said:
Um...yeah, I know that. I was asking him if that half playthrough was just to get the last Sif item...

Yep, indeed. Everything else can be done within 2 playthroughs, it's just the Sif + Gwyn parts that have to be done in NG++.

TommyT

vodka-bull said:
So I've wasted about 10 lvl of STR in hope that it will go up if I just keep putting my hard earned souls into it? Great.

Why would you blindly do that >.>?

edit: Sorry that might be a little harsh but... the game is harsh. Guess you're learning by trial and error which this game is pretty much all about.

vodka-bull said:
So I've wasted about 10 lvl of STR in hope that it will go up if I just keep putting my hard earned souls into it? Great.

Could be -- some of the katana type weapons might have minor scaling on strength (like a D or something), but the main scaling factor is dex. Probably why I didn't use Quelaag's fury sword so much myself; I left my dex sitting at 20.

I mean, you can look through your inventory and look for the letter by the symbol for STR/DEX/FAITH/INT -- whichever "letter" grade is there, the better the scaling:

E > D > C > B > A > S

A good indicator of which way a weapon leans is by what the required stats are to use it (besides the type, if you aren't familiar). Notice that curved swords and katana types have high dex requirements, so they normally scale with dex. Axes and hammers and greatswords, contrastingly, require high strength to be able to wield effectively (1 handed), so they normally scale with strength.

scy

corrosivefrost said:
You seem knowledgable about catalysts -- why would anyone want to use the Tin Darkmoon catalyst? If you're a FAITH build pretending to know some sorcery? Say 50 FAITH, 25 INT?

I guess to go for CMW on a 50 Faith/25 INT build. Though, Sunlight Blade is better I think so ... kind of makes it pointless. Hoenstly, I've yet to really find a good use for the Faith Catalyst or INT Talisman since the spells require a certain amount of their relevant stat kind of makes cross-over builds pointless.

At best, I guess Force on an INT Build? Or ... something?

vodka-bull said:

Why wouldn't you check first? The game doesn't hide the scaling from you or anything. It's pretty prominently displayed.

corrosivefrost said:
Could be -- some of the katana type weapons might have minor scaling on strength (like a D or something), but the main scaling factor is dex. Probably why I didn't use Quelaag's fury sword so much myself; I left my dex sitting at 20.
Well, at least Def. did get a bonus as well.

BeeDog said:
Yep, indeed. Everything else can be done within 2 playthroughs, it's just the Sif + Gwyn parts that have to be done in NG++.

Nice. I've got four achievements left in this game (the "you got all achievements achievement, get all sorcery spells, get all rare weapons and max fire weapon). Kinda bummed they throw that third unique item for Sif's souls...just feels like a cheap way to force a third playthrough (even if only partial).

scy said:
I guess to go for CMW on a 50 Faith/25 INT build. Though, Sunlight Blade is better I think so ... kind of makes it pointless. Hoenstly, I've yet to really find a good use for the Faith Catalyst or INT Talisman since the spells require a certain amount of their relevant stat kind of makes cross-over builds pointless.

At best, I guess Force on an INT Build? Or ... something?

Why wouldn't you check first? The game doesn't hide the scaling from you or anything. It's pretty prominently displayed.

Yeah, I had to make the darkmoon catalyst anyway, because of my platinum, but I had no clue as to what it did before I made it (didn't care enough to look, made darkmoon bow +5 first). When I made it, I was stoked, as I was jamming points into INT; then I saw it scaled with FAITH and scratched my head...

It would allow cleric/paladin types with the 25 or so faith to cast homing soul mass with 5 orbs, right? That could hurt, coming from a cleric build with high faith and medium INT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom