• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
So the (true) Greatsword of Artorias is the best melee weapon in the game. It scales with STR/DEX/INT/FAT so since scaling typically drops off around 50, but it scales with 4 stats, it ends up being the best scaled weapon in the game if you're planning on making a really high level character with points spread evenly across those 4 stats.

My Ltng. Demon Great Machete+5 does slightly more damage at max level, but it's slower speed guarantees a lower overall DPS.

goodfella said:
So to increase the amount of hits you can take, is it better to upgrade vitality or resistance?

Vitality.

scy

Dresden said:
at 99/99/99/99 the (t)GoA +5 deals 699 damage total. Hopefully the patch comes out soon.

Huh, I thought it was much higher than that. Hm...oh well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the scaling "fix" is that they merely remove the physical component to Lightning and Fire weapons. Maybe change a few STR/DEX weapons to As from Bs.

scy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the scaling "fix" is that they merely remove the physical component to Lightning and Fire weapons. Maybe change a few STR/DEX weapons to As from Bs.

At 99/99/99/99 True Greatsword of Astorias+5 does 722 for me, while my Ltng. Demon Great Machete+5 does 738.

Zzoram

Resistance is 100% useless once you get to higher levels.

All stats will boost your resistances every level or every few levels. Resistance stat just boosts it more. However, there is a cap on how high your resistances can go from leveling, and you can reach that cap without ever putting a point in Resistance, so that stat is literally pointless once you're a high enough level.

As for poison resistance, use the Spider Shield and Gold-Hemmed set as necessary.

Audioboxer

Was down in Blighttown today helping people kill the boss. Got an invader whilst helping someone, think the invader cried when he seen he was up against 3. Died quickly :p

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I finally found my blood stain in Izalith after spending the past 40 minutes searching for it.

Praise the lord!

Are there any visual cues? Because it was a totally random search for me.

Wallachia

Zzoram said:
NAT2 seems to be the most successful for online

Thanks guys. Yeah I have been battling for a couple weeks to change my NAT Type from 3 to 2. All kinds of router settings and trial and error.. nothing. There are even some good youtube tutorials and guides online, buy nothing is working so far.

Sullichin

Jinfash said:
I finally found my blood stain in Izalith after spending the past 40 minutes searching for it.

Praise the lord!

Are there any visual cues? Because it was a totally random search for me.

blood stains are definitely too hard to see in this and demons ruins.

Wallachia said:
Thanks guys. Yeah I have been battling for a couple weeks to change my NAT Type from 3 to 2. All kinds of router settings and trial and error.. nothing. There are even some good youtube tutorials and guides online, buy nothing is working so far.
What kind of router do you have?

one85x

Keep in mind that lightning weapons have to go through two resistances. My BK Greataxe hits a lot harder than my lightning Claymore despite the stat screen saying otherwise.

Was down in Blighttown today helping people kill the boss. Got an invader whilst helping someone, think the invader cried when he seen he was up against 3. Died quickly :p

I wish I could get some good invasions going. I'm SL71 so i'm pretty much screwed, I went from 99 cracked red orbs to 9 with only 6 successful invasions. I haven't NG+'d yet so maybe i'll try again after I NG+.

Patch 1.04 can't come fast enough.

Dresden

Nora Kisaragi said:
I wish I could get some good invasions going. I'm SL71 so i'm pretty much screwed, I went from 99 cracked red orbs to 9 with only 6 successful invasions. I haven't NG+'d yet so maybe i'll try again after I NG+.

Join the darkwraiths yo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zzoram said:
Naw that's the trade off. Pyro spells can be insanely powerful without having to raise any stats, but they are short range limited use.

You could always make a Fire Longbow +10 to use for range, with fire arrows it's almost like long range pyromancy lol

does turning a longbow into 'fire' make it have fire arrows then? Wasn't sure whether it'd just make a really poor melee weapon :p I have a longbow +10 along with a bunch of boss souls in case any of the souls are good for bows..

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
scy said:

I haven't done any PvP yet and I don't know if I ever will but it sure would be nice if they didn't patch out the physical damage from the weapon I've invested a lot of resources in.

I guess I can always not download the patch, but then I'd probably be stuck playing offline.

Seems like re-balancing anything (without ruining people's games) is gonna be tough which may explain why the patch isn't out yet.

Nora Kisaragi said:

not sure why they thought putting in a consumable item for invasion in the first place would be a good idea.

Cloudius12 said:
not sure why they thought putting in a consumable item for invasion in the first place would be a good idea.

It would be fine if it was only consumed if you succeeded in invading. Losing it even if the connection fails is garbage.

vilmer_

Wow... I ran into the same guy again while invading in Anor Londo, he's got full Havels set and a sword that cuts right through my friggin' shield no matter what. It's a decent shield, the Greatshield of Artorias with 88 stability :lol

Audioboxer

I started using (and upgraded to +5) the bandit's knife for my sorcerer/mage character. Works great with back stabbing. Thinking if I make it a magical bandit knife it should work well? (INT scaling).

Dresden

vilmer_ said:
Wow... I ran into the same guy again while invading in Anor Londo, he's got full Havels set and a sword that cuts right through my friggin' shield no matter what. It's a decent shield, the Greatshield of Artorias with 88 stability :lol
He probably has the shotel.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I just noticed this, once you hit around level 125, your defense stops going up from regular stat upgrades, but if you upgrade Resistance, your defense will still rise.

Not sure but maybe it would be worth it to have a resistance of 25 or so if you're a melee character.

EDIT: I think the Shotel ignores about 50% of shields.

Ken

corrosivefrost said:
The line on it in these OTs was that the R2 ignored shields completely?

Not sure how much damage bypasses shields, but it seems like a decent amount.

Ran around with a lightning Shotel one day slashing through people's great shields. Pretty funny.

Hey guys, I'm interested in playing this game but only on one condition. I want to play it with a friend. I heard that infact the so called "coop" in this game makes it impossible for you to connect and play the game with your friends and only with random people. Is that really true? I mean its a challenging game and challenging games are best played with friends else I just find them frustrating and tedious. Can anyone clarify if its possible to summon your friend over PSN and play with only them and nobody else?

Ken

AppleSmack said:
Hey guys, I'm interested in playing this game but only on one condition. I want to play it with a friend. I heard that infact the so called "coop" in this game makes it impossible for you to connect and play the game with your friends and only with random people. Is that really true? I mean its a challenging game and challenging games are best played with friends else I just find them frustrating and tedious. Can anyone clarify if its possible to summon your friend over PSN and play with only them and nobody else?

One thing you can do is throw your summon sign in an obscure location where your friend is, and continually drop it until it shows up on his "server." There's no way to invite your friend.

Haunted

AppleSmack said:
What you heard is correct, there's no way to choose who you play with. Others are also free to join you either for co-op or to PvP without you having a say which game mode to play.

That said, the game can also be soloed if you're willing to dedicate some time to it.

Ken said:
One thing you can do is throw your summon sign in an obscure location where your friend is, and continually drop it until it shows up on his "server." There's no way to invite your friend.

Where'd you get your avatar? Dapper Ornstein is amazing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How do I open the shortcut from Izalith to Demon's Run? I never tried checking the door from DR's side, thinking it'll only open from the other side, so hopefully I'm not wrong.

linko9

Yo Gotti said:
I just noticed this, once you hit around level 125, your defense stops going up from regular stat upgrades, but if you upgrade Resistance, your defense will still rise.

Not sure but maybe it would be worth it to have a resistance of 25 or so if you're a melee character.

EDIT: I think the Shotel ignores about 50% of shields.

Correct. It actually does keep going up (1 point ever ~5 levels), but it tops out pretty early. Hope no one was foolish enough to put any points into RES.

Ken said:

Cant think of a single reason they would decide not to implement such a key and important feature in this game but oh well. I guess I'm not gonna play it. Ill consider your solution though may change my mind.

Jinfash said:
How do I open the shortcut from Izalith to Demon's Run? I never tried checking the door from DR's side, thinking it'll only open from the other side, so hopefully I'm not wrong.

Are you Chaos Covenant Rank+2?
Is Chaos Covenant leader alive?
If you answered yes to both, I don't think you can do it wrong... but if you don't see a "x: touch the wall" or whatever, you could be.

I've only opened it from demon's ruins side.

Jonsoncao said:
LOL what is this I dun even.

Looks like "Anor Londo meets Persona" or something.

I see Gwyn leaving, Seath the librarian, fat ass Smough, dapper Ornstein, lolita Gywnevere, and best dressed nerd Gwyndolin. :D

goodfella said:
I just got invaded by a guy and I could not lock on to him!

Is this a thing?

Or some rare glitch I encountered?

Welcome to fog ring! May I take your order?

Thagomizer said:
Who seems to be wearing a skirt.

Sorta makes sense; somewhere in the lore or people's interpretation of it, I've seen references to Gwyn raising Gwyndolin as a girl because the moon/faith was strong in him.

Ken

corrosivefrost said:
Looks like "Anor Londo meets Persona" or something.

I see Gwyn leaving, Seath the librarian, fat ass Smough, dapper Ornstein, lolita Gywnevere, and best dressed nerd Gwyndolin. :D

Think that might be Big Hat Logan leaving.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
corrosivefrost said:
Are you Chaos Covenant Rank+2?
Is Chaos Covenant leader alive?
If you answered yes to both, I don't think you can do it wrong... but if you don't see a "x: touch the wall" or whatever, you could be.

I've only opened it from demon's ruins side.
No, I'm a Darkwraith atm
Dllp0.gif

Jonsoncao

Banned
goodfella said:
I just got invaded by a guy and I could not lock on to him!

Is this a thing?

Or some rare glitch I encountered?

Was he invisible? If yes, then you can't lock on him until the rumored 1.04 patch.

Ken said:
Think that might be Big Hat Logan leaving.

Hat's not big enough -- besides all the rest are deities/lords of Anor Londo, so I'm going to stick with Gwyn.

Looks like he's saying "I'm off to link the fire, don't fuck up the place."

Jinfash said:
No, I'm a Darkwraith atm
Dllp0.gif

Then yes, you're doing it wrong. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom