• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Jinfash said:
What's the best shield to carry through Demon's Ruin and Izalith?
Your best one? I guess there's a lot of fire damage, but it's all entirely avoidable so just carry what you're comfortable with.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've been using the Eagle Shield as well, but I'm looking for better Fire Resistance but with reasonable weight. I haven't taken a look at my Shield collection almost 30 game hours.

sixghost

Jinfash said:
I've been using the Eagle Shield as well, but I'm looking for better Fire Resistance but with reasonable weight. I haven't taken a look at my Shield collection almost 30 game hours.
Do you have a Black Knight Shield? Those are great against fire.
KoreanBarbecue said:
Nice. I've got four achievements left in this game (the "you got all achievements achievement, get all sorcery spells, get all rare weapons and max fire weapon). Kinda bummed they throw that third unique item for Sif's souls...just feels like a cheap way to force a third playthrough (even if only partial).
Is the Mimic head piece part of any achievements? If so, that's fucked up.

Wallachia

Got into Painted World of Ariamis last nite. Fucking LOVE this level, so dark and moody, very CV'ish..

But wtf, for the 1st time in the game, I was calling people from their summon signs (I was Human form) and every single one failed, like 12 of them in a row. Plus, the bonfire would go oput and re-ignite on its' own from time to time. Weird.. anyone else?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I'm having an issue with Solaire's sequence of events in NG++ and wonder if anyone else is running into the same issues. Basically, I can't get him to reappear in Anor Londo. I've spoken with him in Undead Burg, but he doesn't seem to want to "move on."

Do I need to be in a certain covenant or perform some action to get Solaire to do more than just stare at the sun for the rest of my game(s)?

Wallachia said:
Got into Painted World of Ariamis last nite. Fucking LOVE this level, so dark and moody, very CV'ish..

But wtf, for the 1st time in the game, I was calling people from their summon signs (I was Human form) and every single one failed, like 12 of them in a row. Plus, the bonfire would go oput and re-ignite on its' own from time to time. Weird.. anyone else?
If the bonfire goes out. Two things can happen. You're summoning someone or you're being invaded.

scy

Salih said:
I dunno if this one was posted:

This is by far the easiest way to get unlimited Twinkling Titanite and Demon Titanite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxhXGB5ghv4

Can also get Dragon Scales too via Egg Vermifuge. Also, if you do use this, you can Change Order to get the Moss, Prism Stone, or Vermifuge to the top of your list to save on some scrolling time. You also don't have to do so much running, just go to the edge of the nest, drop the item, reload game, drop the item again, and then pick up the trade reward. No need to move at all, short of maybe a step forward every now and then to keep you in range of the nest.

If you want to stop and come back for later, just drop an item, pick up the trade reward, and then pick up the item. You'll be allowed to do it again later. I also think you can just run off without picking up the reward and be fine but I wouldn't risk it (I did it once on accident when I hit O to cancel a menu ... that wasn't up and died; when I came back, I could continue as per normal).

Septimius

Wallachia said:

That last is people trying to invade, but it failing. People are suggesting the type of NAT has an effect on online success.

Septimius

So if I kill a crystal lizard in NG, will they respawn in NG+?

And I ran by the church, and the altar in the church. Suddenly there was loot lying there. 7 humanities and a pendant. Wtf?

scy

Septimius said:

Yup. Also, if you didn't know, if a Lizard run from you and vanishes, just reload to get it to respawn.

And I ran by the church, and the altar in the church. Suddenly there was loot lying there. 7 humanities and a pendant. Wtf?

Did you
free Rhea from the Tomb? If so, that's her corpse. A certain Miracle Vendor murdered her...

Zzoram

Septimius said:

1) Yes you can kill each one once per NG

2) The priestess woman you saved in Tomb of Giants goes there afterwards, you have a little while to buy her miracles before she dies and leaves 7 humanities and her pendant there.

Zzoram

scy said:
Did you
free Rhea from the Tomb? If so, that's her corpse. A certain Miracle Vendor murdered her...

Her brother murdered her? Why? Should he be killed in revenge? What would he drop?

Does the Undead Ramparts ability work on
Quelena? I'm thinking of trying it on NG+ and bringing her all the way to the White Lady and see what happens

Also, I discovered something interesting with Rhea of Thorolund.
If you save her, buy all her spells before Petrus can kill her, she will die anyway. BUT, if you go to Petrus and tell him the news, he will weep. This only occurs if you haven't talked to Patches. I killed Petrus afterward so I don't know what he says if you talk to patches thereafter.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Okay I'm still really depressed over missing my chance at getting
Priscilla's Dagger
. Can someone tell me if it's really that great a dagger? I'm in a DEX build and I was hoping to switch to it as a new main weapon, so I'm pretty bummed over the notion of waiting until the next playthrough to get it.

Zzoram said:
Why did he kill her?

Petrus isn't her brother. He killed her because he thought she was worthless and weak, nothing without her family name. He hoped she would die in the Tomb of the Giants after abandoning her, but your threw a wrench into that plan.

scy

Zzoram said:
Why did he kill her?

He
hated her and believed her to be a weakling that could only get by due to her name. He leaves her to die in the Tomb but you come along and save her. He kills her to keep her mouth shut, presumably. Killing him gets you her Ivory Talisman, your proof that he is her killer as she drops it if you kill her, you terrible person you, in the church. She also drops it when killed in the Archives, if you had purchased all her spells and she gets spirited away instead of murdered.

I believe killing him is sin-free; this is the route I'm going for on my new file so I should know later today unless you feel like trying it out yourself.

scy said:
He
hated her and believed her to be a weakling that could only get by due to her name. He leaves her to die in the Tomb but you come along and save her. He kills her to keep her mouth shut, presumably. Killing him gets you her Ivory Talisman, your proof that he is her killer as she drops it if you kill her, you terrible person you, in the church. She also drops it when killed in the Archives, if you had purchased all her spells and she gets spirited away instead of murdered.

I believe killing him is sin-free; this is the route I'm going for on my new file so I should know later today unless you feel like trying it out yourself.

I kill him every time. Except after I stop needing pedants at which point I will preemptively kill him.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Wallachia said:

Yesss yes one of my favorite areas so far. Also seems to be an invasion hotbed. I was getting invaded almost every few minutes.

What is the purpose of the pendant anyway? What exactly is the procedure to instigate events that require it? Be sure to put it in /spoiler tag in case please. Thanks guys!

scosher

finalozzo said:
where can i find the tin banishment catalyst?
yes at blighttown but where.

Same area as the Crimson robes. Go up the waterwheel, up like 1 or 2 ladders, and there should be a tree limb you can cross.

scy

Mortrialus said:
I kill him every time. Except after I stop needing pedants at which point I will preemptively kill him.

My two highest body counts are him and Sieglinde; I murder the shit out of her every time I get BAD END out of that questline :/

vilmer_

I can't seem to find Big Hat Logan now at all... I went back to Duke's because I thought he'd still be locked up there, but he's nowhere in sight. He's not back at Firelink and I even went back to the room where you first run into Seath and he's not there as well. Hath I messed up somewhere :eek:

deim0s

Tried PVP a bit at SL75 (capping it to this level, so things are manageable), since I've reached the Kiln thinking it's the end game... Starting to farm some upgrades and play around with some weapons.

So to Anor Londo in human form, defeated two dudes in less than a minute and faced a claymore wielding dude... That swords hitbox is huge! Eventually lost tho, her starting forward swing motion reaches to the back. :/

Have a few Qs:
I've defeated two invaders and didn't get any humanity? Is it because I'm in human form or they didn't bring any?
Now to use the red eye orb/darkwraith to invade people I need to be in human form yes?
Does Kaathe's supply of orbs are limited in quantity?
Humanity farming, where? Rats in the Depths doesn't give out much.

scy

vilmer_ said:
I can't seem to find Big Hat Logan now at all... I went back to Duke's because I thought he'd still be locked up there, but he's nowhere in sight. He's not back at Firelink and I even went back to the room where you first run into Seath and he's not there as well. Hath I messed up somewhere :eek:

If you don't free him before killing the boss I believe he just flat out vanishes without a trace

V_Arnold

vilmer_ said:

If you saved him from the cell (and got a Fire Keeper soul in the Archives in his cell), he will spawn inside the Archives, at the lowest level, near the Bonfire in the Balcony. Standing there, facing the inside of the room, you turn right, then go into the room (which room might not even be open for you: you have to climb down from a ladder from the above level, and turn the switch), and once you are inside, simply go into the left room with a lot of books. He will only disappear from there once you bought all spells from him. He will gradually go mad - after you bought all spells, you will find him after a death/reload in the upper room, where you originally fought Sheath.

Zzoram

vilmer_ said:

He's in another room studying near the 2nd Duke's bonfire, the one just before the Crystal Caves

Just beat my first play-through. I like how the game doesn't even exit to the menu after the credits roll. You just start again. You cannot escape!

Mindlog

deim0s said:
Humanity farming, where? Rats in the Depths doesn't give out much.
Baby Skeletons in the Tomb of Giants right before the boss entrance. The farm rate there is between 10-100 times more productive than rat farming in the sewers.

Zzoram

So the (true) Greatsword of Artorias is the best melee weapon in the game. It scales with STR/DEX/INT/FAT so since scaling typically drops off around 50, but it scales with 4 stats, it ends up being the best scaled weapon in the game if you're planning on making a really high level character with points spread evenly across those 4 stats.

TheBear

Are there any long range Pyro spells like the soul arrow? Rockin a +15 glove which is awesome, but throwing fireballs 4 feet doesn't really help in ranged battles.

Zzoram

bigjimmystyle said:
Are there any long range Pyro spells like the soul arrow? Rockin a +15 glove which is awesome, but throwing fireballs 4 feet doesn't really help in ranged battles.

Naw that's the trade off. Pyro spells can be insanely powerful without having to raise any stats, but they are short range limited use.

You could always make a Fire Longbow +10 to use for range, with fire arrows it's almost like long range pyromancy lol

scy

Zzoram said:
So the (true) Greatsword of Artorias is the best melee weapon in the game. It scales with STR/DEX/INT/FAT so since scaling typically drops off around 50, but it scales with 4 stats, it ends up being the best scaled weapon in the game if you're planning on making a really high level character with points spread evenly across those 4 stats.

I don't think it scales normally to 50 for all of them (40/40/50/50, if I had to guess based off their letters) but, yeah, it should have the theoretical highest possible damage. The Astora's Straight Sword is another one that's a lot better than it appears due to the three stats it scales with.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Zzoram said:
Naw that's the trade off. Pyro spells can be insanely powerful without having to raise any stats, but they are short range limited use.

You could always make a Fire Longbow +10 to use for range, with fire arrows it's almost like long range pyromancy lol
...I just realized that you could just make a bow elemental to ignore its stat scaling. Screw the stat scaling in this game lol.

Dresden

Zzoram said:
Even if you had 99 str, dex, int and faith in pure numbers it wouldn't outdamage a Fire/Lightning Greataxe.

e: hell, even stuff like the Zweihander would outdamage it. >.> Damn.

at 99/99/99/99 the (t)GoA +5 deals 699 damage total. Hopefully the patch comes out soon.

Zeliard

Remember that scaling is being tweaked with the patch. Remains to be seen exactly how, though.

And didn't they say that would be out this month? Hm.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zeliard said:
Remember that scaling is being tweaked with the patch. Remains to be seen exactly how, though.

And didn't they say that would be out this month? Hm.
I hope scaling is a lot better because right not it seems like it isn't worth much....

Dresden

Yeah, supposedly. :(

If the patch comes out I wonder how much more powerful the Black Knight greataxe will get. It's already one of the best weapons in the game, as a strength-scaling unique at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom