• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Cloudius12 said:
She? Are you referring to Gywnevere? "She doesn't seem to be outright stated to be Gwyn's daughter at any point, however."

Yeah, that refers to Gwynevere. There are numerous direct statements that Gwyn's Firstborn and Gwyndolin are Gwyn's children, but nothing ever seems to flat-out say "Gwynevere is Gwyn's daughter" in the same way.

I thought the Anor Londo Firekeeper might have said it at one point, but after reviewing the conversation with her she never just says "Gwynevere is Gwyn's daughter confirmed total."

I don't think there's any reason to doubt she is, mind you, I just felt that for the sake of completeness I should point out that the game isn't as forthright about her status as one of Gwyn's children as it is about her brothers.

ixix said:
Yeah, that refers to Gwynevere. There are numerous direct statements that Gwyn's Firstborn and Gwyndolin are Gwyn's children, but nothing ever seems to flat-out say "Gwynevere is Gwyn's daughter" in the same way.

I thought the Anor Londo Firekeeper might have said it at one point, but after reviewing the conversation with her she never just says "Gwynevere is Gwyn's daughter confirmed total."

I don't think there's any reason to doubt she is, mind you, I just felt that for the sake of completeness I should point out that the game isn't as forthright about her status as one of Gwyn's children as it is about her brothers.
When you first meet Gywnevere, she states that she is the daughter of Gwyn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbCGEaUDJME

ixix

Cloudius12 said:
When you first meet Gywnevere, she states that she is the daughter of Gwyn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbCGEaUDJME

But
technically that's not Gwynevere you're talking to, it's Gwyndolin. That statement's along the same lines as Gwyndolin calling her Sister Gwynevere, which is the occurrence I used in the footnote since it was a direct statement by Gwyndolin himself rather than part of Gwyndolin's ventriloquism act, which I decided was more definitive for some arbitrary reason.

Mortrialus said:
However, the Ring of the Sun Princess directly states she is the daughter of Lord Gwyn.

It does? Well hell. Must have missed that somehow.

ixix said:
But
technically that's not Gwynevere you're talking to, it's Gwyndolin. That statement's along the same lines as Gwyndolin calling her Sister Gwynevere, which is the occurrence I used in the footnote since it was a direct statement by Gwyndolin himself rather than part of Gwyndolin's ventriloquism act, which I decided was more definitive for some arbitrary reason.

I wish item description were included in the guide as well so I don't have to boot the game up to read it.

ixix said:
But

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/ring-of-the-sun-princess

This ring is granted to those who enter a
Covenant with Gwynevere, daughter of Lord Gywn
and the Princess of Sunlight. This slightly
warm ring boosts the synergy of miracles.

The Princess of Sunlight Gwynevere left
Anor Londo along many other deities,
and later became wife to Flame God Flann.

Who is Flann?

ixix

Mortrialus said:

Who is Flann?

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha. I completely skipped the first paragraph when I read it.

That means I can delete a footnote. Oh joy, oh rapture, oh fabulous day.

I don't think there's a single reference to Flann other than that one.

Mortrialus said:

Who is Flann?

flan.jpg

She has weird tastes.

ixix said:
Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha. I completely skipped the first paragraph when I read it.

That means I can delete a footnote. Oh joy, oh rapture, oh fabulous day.

I don't think there's a single reference to Flann other than that one.

I'd have preferred it if they left whether she even ever existed ambiguous, oh well.

Kevtones

I just did a bum rush on the archers and got past them on my first try. Didn't kill anything from the upstairs bonfire until the archers.

ixix said:
But

Hmmm.
What about the fact that you can kill Gwyndolin and the illusion of Gwynevere continues to exist and (I assume) speak to you?
This would imply that there is some sort of sentience to the illlusion. So can we trust what she says then?

klee123

Got the Lightning Spear from killing the Mimic in Sen's fortress.

Should I just upgrade this to +5 or invest on getting a winged spear to lightning +5?

Also are there ways to get a fire weapon easily, like how I did with the Lightning Spear?

I Push Fat Kids said:
I just did a bum rush on the archers and got past them on my first try. Didn't kill anything from the upstairs bonfire until the archers.
Same here and after hearing how bad it was I was terrified for that part, but did the same as you and wondered what the big deal was. Same for Blighttown as well, not that bad...

klee123 said:

Should I just upgrade this to +5 or invest on getting a winged spear to lightning +5?

Also are there ways to get a fire weapon easily, like how I did with the Lightning Spear?

Fire weapons are available to you as soon as you have shards of green titanite and the balls to go find Vamos in the catacombs.

ixix

corrosivefrost said:
Hmmm.
What about the fact that you can kill Gwyndolin and the illusion of Gwynevere continues to exist and (I assume) speak to you?
This would imply that there is some sort of sentience to the illlusion. So can we trust what she says then?

Fortunately
the Ring of the Sun Princess unambiguously calls her Gwyn's daughter from a third-person omniscient perspective
so there's no need to worry about it. I can just blissfully ignore the unpleasant business of interpreting authorial intent and happily avoid another Daughters of the Witch of Izalith situation.

x3r0123

klee123 said:

demon spear is the better one as it has a longer reach and better damage. However, it does require demon titanite to upgrade it.
Fire weapons on the other hand, you have to manually upgrade them from the very beginning

sixghost

we.are.the.armada said:
Amazing post! I have a question though
do you have any theories as to who this firstborn could be? Sunbro? Haha, Lautrec loves arms, he's got them on his arm or. Hehe. Thanks!
I was just coming to post this. It's just got to be him. There's even a half-hint to this in Solaire's armor. It says something like: The equipment is nothing special, instead it's Solaire's own dedication to training something something

It's got to be him, right?
Ken said:
Not sure if it's worth including, but
Lautrec encountered Patches at one point in his travels. Apparently Patches duped him, much like he does to you, and Lautrec vows to kill Patches should he ever encounter him again. He tells you this if you talk to him over and over. Patches also confirms this when he tells you about Lautrec the Embraced.
He also has poor things to say about Petrus I believe. Warning you about both Petrus and Lautrec kind of makes him the most trustworthy figure in the game besides Kaathe or Solaire.

sixghost said:
I was just coming to post this. It's just got to be him. There's even a half-hint to this in Solaire's armor. It says something like: The equipment is nothing special, instead it's Solaire's own dedication to training something something

Why would that imply that?

sixghost said:

To add more information to the discussion, The Ring of Sun's First Born mentions that Gwyn's first son had his godhood revoked.

Sullichin

Beat Nito. He wasn't that hard of a boss (weak to pyromancy it seems), but Tomb of Giants... that area blows. Fuck those skeleton dogs.

I... I'm up to the endgame. I never thought I'd make it this far. Trying to beat this game tonight.

lol one of the bonfire warp locations is the abyss? The fuck would I want to go back there?

sixghost

Thagomizer said:
Why would that imply that?
Because if he was the fallen son of Gwyn and the God of War, he could probably make any old weapon or piece of armor seem great. It just seems to imply that Solaire is something special.

Also, he uses the Sun Spear miracle, which mentions "The weapon of the God of War, who inherited
the sunlight of Lord Gwyn, but had
respect only for arms, and nothing else.

So as a Blade of the Darkmoon, I keep getting this one guilty guy who has managed to one shot three people with a spell.
He raises his sword in the air and circles emit that just seem to kill everything.
Anyone know what the hell is going on?
He also has the fog ring, so it's gg.

ixix

sixghost said:
He also has poor things to say about Petrus I believe. Warning you about both Petrus and Lautrec kind of makes him the most trustworthy figure in the game besides Kaathe or Solaire.

I gotta confess I don't really understand why
Kaathe is considered the least bit trustworthy. When somebody straight-up tells you they're going to lay the truth on you and it's everybody else who's lying, they are about to start bullshitting you.

Seriously.

sixghost said:
Because if he was the fallen son of Gwyn and the God of War, he could probably make any old weapon or piece of armor seem great. It just seems to imply that Solaire is something special.

Also, he uses the Sun Spear miracle, which mentions "The weapon of the God of War, who inherited
the sunlight of Lord Gwyn, but had
respect only for arms, and nothing else.

Sunbro seems too jolly to be a god of war. He also has respect for the player.

ixix

Sullichin said:
lol one of the bonfire warp locations is the abyss? The fuck would I want to go back there?

To admire the scenery, obviously.

I understand they need her to for gameplay reasons, but why does
Quelaag attack you as soon as you enter her arena? As far as I can tell, there's no justification for it, as the Fair Lady implies that, despite their appearances, those two daughters still have their minds. Why would Quelaag not want you to ring the bell?

ixix said:
Kaathe is considered the least bit trustworthy. When somebody straight-up tells you they're going to lay the truth on you and it's everybody else who's lying, they are about to start bullshitting you.

Seriously.

I...actually agree with this. There's nothing to say that he isn't lying through his teeth either. Are we supposed to believe that every single person
who joined the Darkwraiths went mad with power on their own free will, and the powers granted to them didn't taint them, and he's just disapointed that that outcome happened? Riiiight.

V-Gief

Anyone else tried a low-level playthrough yet? Got bored earlier today and decided to start my fourth character and see how far I could make it at lv.1. Started as a pyro and it was smooth sailing up until Smough and Ornstein, died four times there. Other than that, wasn't too hard. Felt a bit stiff at lv.1 without access to certain spells from Logan and basically relying entirely on pyromancy, so I decided to level to seven putting one point into dex for a total of ten in order to be able to use the lightning spear and then 15 int so I could buy spells from Logan. Four Kings at lv.7 tomorrow, should be a hoot and a half.

Neutrality said:
So as a Blade of the Darkmoon, I keep getting this one guilty guy who has managed to one shot three people with a spell.
He raises his sword in the air and circles emit that just seem to kill everything.

I was killed by this too, it looks similar to the spell that the stone gaurdians cast in the garden right? Hmmm, maybe it's a weapon ability?

Sullichin said:
Beat Nito. He wasn't that hard of a boss (weak to pyromancy it seems), but Tomb of Giants... that area blows. Fuck those skeleton dogs.

I... I'm up to the endgame. I never thought I'd make it this far. Trying to beat this game tonight.

Darkwraith.

maomaoIYP

Neutrality said:

It's one of those special weapons that has an AOE attack at the cost of durability, like the Drake Sword.

ixix

Neutrality said:

He's using the ultimate PvP attack glitch. It involves turning the Stone Greatsword into an effective instant-death aura. The only counter to it is the Strong Magic Shield invincibility glitch.

If you used the invincibility glitch the next time you end up in his world there's not a jury in the world that would convict you.

maomaoIYP

Thagomizer said:
Quelaag attack you as soon as you enter her arena? As far as I can tell, there's no justification for it, as the Fair Lady implies that, despite their appearances, those two daughters still have their minds. Why would Quelaag not want you to ring the bell?

Maybe she's hungry, what else is she gonna eat? I can imagine the slugs in blighttown aren't exactly escargot.

Thagomizer said:

I...actually agree with this. There's nothing to say that he isn't lying through his teeth either. Are we supposed to believe that every single person
who joined the Darkwraiths went mad with power on their own free will, and the powers granted to them didn't taint them, and he's just disapointed that that outcome happened? Riiiight.

When you walk in, she gives you this look like "stupid undead, I love food."
I'm guessing that's about it. "Hey, fresh food just walked through the door. I'm a eat well tonight.".

Sullichin said:
Ah.

Does my titanite go away in NG+? Or only the embers..?

Things that don't carry:
Embers
Found keys
Orange Charred Ring
Lordvessel
Covenant of Artorias

That's about all I can think of.

So yes.
All equipment, all items, all upgrade *material*, all souls.

maomaoIYP

ixix said:
He's using the ultimate PvP attack glitch. It involves turning the Stone Greatsword into an effective instant-death aura. The only counter to it is the Strong Magic Shield invincibility glitch.

If you used the invincibility glitch the next time you end up in his world there's not a jury in the world that would convict you.

What glitch is that? I though the stone greatsword just does a free TWoP. There are lots of other AOE swords aren't there? Like moonlight sword?

corrosivefrost said:
When you walk in, she gives you this look like "stupid undead, I love food."
I'm guessing that's about it. "Hey, fresh food just walked through the door. I'm a eat well tonight.".
She does smile during her cinematic...

ixix said:

Seriously.

He tells you the truth that
Gwyn sacrificed himself linking the fire, and that the same would happen to you. Guess what happens should you try to link the fire?

sleepykyo

ixix said:

I can't tell if you're being serious. I'm familiar with strong magic shield glitch but insta-death AOE glitch?

Gattsu25

Banned
ixix said:
I feel kind of bad for Nito. His entire section is three lines long, hasn't been expanded once since I started the list, and everything in it is either obvious or paints him as pathetic.
Do you have links to your other posts with lore?

Yo Gotti

Banned
maomaoIYP said:
What glitch is that? I though the stone greatsword just does a free TWoP. There are lots of other AOE swords aren't there? Like moonlight sword?

It's not insta-death. The only time I've encountered it I survived and killed the invader who used it on me. It does is drain your health very quickly though.

Think Toxic except 2 maybe 3 times as fast.

maomaoIYP said:

I saw a video of it although I'm not sure how it works. The guy used the AoE and then proceeded to run through a bunch of enemies and they all just randomly take damage and die.

All I know is that it was fucking bullshit.
Pardon my language.

I just hate people like that, especially the ones who have the audacity to bow after it was a 3 on 1...

Haunted

Sullichin said:

Bonfire warp locations are downright trolling.

HildyB

TommyT said:
Yes. I'm not talking about lack of information. The actual 'guide' is very lackluster with regards to walkthroughs of areas step-by-step.

Don't get me started on the layout with enemy strategies and the area walkthroughs... >.>

I would think of it more as a guide to the world that is Dark Souls. It is definitely not a walkthrough guide. It does contain a lot of lore/spoilers that without, many of us would not know just how interesting and important each NPC is to the story.

But yes, you are correct, the maps and strategy is very ... blah, it's nothing a person wouldn't find out through a try or two with the boss fights.

ixix

Mortrialus said:
He tells you the truth that
Gwyn sacrificed himself linking the fire, and that the same would happen to you. Guess what happens should you try to link the fire?

I admit, that pretty much sucks for you, the player, but it's probably not all that bad for the world in general.

Personally, I think the hypothetical best ending is
for you to kill Gwyndolin and link the fire. There's nothing to indicate that the Darkwraiths are any bit less awful than they seem on the surface, and whatever the connection is exactly Kaathe is definitely in bed with them. Gwyndolin's implied to be the reason the other gods left Anor Londo, and with him dead they can come back. With Gwyn's Firstborn disgraced and de-deified and Gwyndolin dead the obvious successor is Gwynevere, who is never implied to be anything other than benevolent, beloved, and generally pretty swell. She comes back to Anor Londo, becomes queen of the New Age of Fire, her hubby takes up a purely ceremonial position and makes the occasional embarrassing public remark, everybody lives happily ever after.

Until the fire starts to go out again and some other poor schmuck needs to kindle it again. Which sounds pretty bad until you realize, hey, sequel time!

sleepykyo said:
I can't tell if you're being serious. I'm familiar with strong magic shield glitch but insta-death AOE glitch?

I'm serious. It exists, there's not a step-by-step guide in English for doing it that I've seen, and if there isn't one I'm not going to be the one to write it. Knowing how it works doesn't really help to combat it anyway; as soon as the sword is upraised you're pretty much doomed unless you've got Strong Magic Shield active.

Gattsu25 said:
Do you have links to your other posts with lore?

Sure.

The first version, which seemed really long at the time but now seems positively tiny.

The second version, in which it is painfully obvious that I had no real plan for where to go with it.

NPC Phantom Bonus Round, which doesn't conform to any standards for inclusion and contains rampant speculation about the game's AI-controlled phantoms.

I think maybe I'll include a version history in the next revision with these links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom