• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

corrosivefrost said:
Hat's not big enough -- besides all the rest are deities/lords of Anor Londo, so I'm going to stick with Gwyn.

Looks like he's saying "I'm off to link the fire, don't fuck up the place."

Then yes, you're doing it wrong. :p

Yeah you're right. It's Gwynn.

Wizpig

Dear GAF, first time posting in the thread but not first time cursing at the game.
I have some lenghty and potentially stupid questions:

1] First, i tried to cheat the game by doing CoOp with friends. to no avail. we decided for a place, he's 2 levels more than me, but we couldn't meet. he's human, i'm not.
How does the system work? is it region-locked? i have a UK copy, he has an Italian one.

2] The
Red dragon
in the Undead Burg: maybe you won't believe this, maybe this is old, but i shot him with an arrow and... he... died. 10k souls and he's not there anymore.
This is obviously some kind of bug, but will it harm me?

Thanks!

Got a question for folks. I'm trying to get one more Red Titanite Slab and I see the wiki/official guide listing that I can trade a Pyromancy Flame to the Sparkly for one. Is this the base, non-upgraded one? In my last playthrough I tried to trade a max Quelana Pyromancy Flame, but she wouldn't take it. Any help is appreciated!

Wizpig said:
Dear GAF, first time posting in the thread but not first time cursing at the game.
I have some lenghty and potentially stupid questions:

1] First, i tried to cheat the game by doing CoOp with friends. to no avail. we decided for a place, he's 2 levels more than me, but we couldn't meet. he's human, i'm not.
How does the system work? is it region-locked? i have a UK copy, he has an Italian one.

2] The
Red dragon
in the Undead Burg: maybe you won't believe this, maybe this is old, but i shot him with an arrow and... he... died. 10k souls and he's not there anymore.
This is obviously some kind of bug, but will it harm me?

Thanks!

Not sure on (1) -- Are you dropping your summon sign in a specific location for him to find it and repeatedly redropping every 30s or so if it doesn't appear for him?

(2) Won't harm you, it's fine. Only way you might be sad is if you didn't get the drake sword from it first.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Got a question for folks. I'm trying to get one more Red Titanite Slab and I see the wiki/official guide listing that I can trade a Pyromancy Flame to the Sparkly for one. Is this the base, non-upgraded one? In my last playthrough I tried to trade a max Quelana Pyromancy Flame, but she wouldn't take it. Any help is appreciated!

Has to be a pyromancy flame (strong)... does not have to be +5, just the "modify" from the +15 of the standard one.

I managed to get a second flame and stoked it up to the (strong) ascended version. Dropped it and got my slab when I went to kill the Stray Demon in NG+. So yea, it works, at least in NA copies of the game.

anddo0

Thanks for all the Seath tips. I DID IT!

All that remains is killing Gwyndolin for my last boss soul. I hope the ghost blade (non-jagged) doesn't count for the weapons trophy. Some people say they got the trophy without it.

Anyway, after almost 200 hours with this game (sitting at around 198). I'm ready for some Uncharted.

anddo0 said:
Thanks for all the Seath tips. I DID IT!

All that remains is killing Gwyndolin for my last boss soul. I hope the ghost blade (non-jagged) doesn't count for the weapons trophy. Some people say they got the trophy without it.

Anyway, after almost 200 hours with this game (sitting at around 198). I'm ready for some Uncharted.

Someone in here confirmed he had neither ghost blade and got the rare weapons trophy.

Mindlog

I'm torn.
NG+ my 71 Vit/End Pyro or start a new character. NG+ until the patch hits. Hurry up patch. It's weird that this has become my new podcast game considering how 'difficult' the game is supposed to be. I don't have to concentrate that much to do well.

corrosivefrost said:
Not sure on (1) -- Are you dropping your summon sign in a specific location for him to find it and repeatedly redropping every 30s or so if it doesn't appear for him?

(2) Won't harm you, it's fine. Only way you might be sad is if you didn't get the drake sword from it first.

Has to be a pyromancy flame (strong)... does not have to be +5, just the "modify" from the +15 of the standard one.

I managed to get a second flame and stoked it up to the (strong) ascended version. Dropped it and got my slab when I went to kill the Stray Demon in NG+. So yea, it works, at least in NA copies of the game.

Good to know. Didn't realize I could ascend that thing. Who can ascend it for me?

Minamu

Can someone recommend a good weapon for me? :D Currently switching between Lifehunt Scythe+2 and a Furysword+4 at lvl 80 with str 44 and dex 31. I'm a bandit btw. I prefer to be able to roll around like crazy :)

I'm down in Lost Izalith at the moment. Not sure where else to go after beating
Seath
and
Nito
was too hard before. The abyss was hard too because my Furysword didn't do a whole lot of damage even though they're weak to fire o_O

Going for str 50 so I can try the Dragon Greatsword.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Mindlog said:
I'm torn.
NG+ my 71 Vit/End Pyro or start a new character. NG+ until the patch hits. Hurry up patch. It's weird that this has become my new podcast game considering how 'difficult' the game is supposed to be. I don't have to concentrate that much to do well.

Playing Dark Souls and listening to music or a podcast is great, I do it all the time.

I'm playing NG+ right now, gonna start my new character as soon as the patch releases.

Wizpig

corrosivefrost said:

Yes, i basically sent him Xbox live messages saying "try here", but he couldn't find anything.
I couldn't either.
I'm pretty sure servers are worldwide -- an italian friend of mine said he played with a UK player -- but...

Yeah, i got the drake sword, or i probably would still be at the beginning.

So I'm in Blighttown, in this giant...storm drain, and there's a large fog wall. Will this dump me to the boss? I don't want to fight her yet as I haven't gotten the Dark Phantom in this area.

Thagomizer said:
So I'm in Blighttown, in this giant...storm drain, and there's a large fog wall. Will this dump me to the boss? I don't want to fight her yet as I haven't gotten the Dark Phantom in this area.

Only fog wall is the one that leads to the boss.
You're in the tunnel past those 3 boulder throwing dudes guarding it right?

You should have been invaded by the NPC a few seconds into stepping at the bottom of Blighttown.

krakov

So if you fight Seath as a white phantom and it's the first time the summoner fight him, he spawns right on top of you and you instantly die? awesome.

Sullichin said:
So the clams near Seath drop purging stones? I just got fucked up by them on account of being cursed.

Yes. Clams drop purging stones at like an A rate (maybe B) and twinkling titanite at an S level.

Thagomizer said:

That fog door is fine. If you haven't made it all the way down to the swamp, you're nowhere near the boss.

See You Next Wednesday said:

You should have been invaded by the NPC a few seconds into stepping at the bottom of Blighttown.

You either didn't go down to blighttown via the depths or you've forgotten there is a fog door before you start encountering the fire breathing bugs as you go down the second half of the scaffolding... this is vertically above where the dragon scale in a treasure chest is (behind the bonfire on the bottom of the scaffolding in the swamp itself).

vermadas

See You Next Wednesday said:

Pretty sure there's another fog wall on the way down. I want to say it's at the end of a path in a cave right before you can hit that big stationary non-respawning creature in the back to clear the way.

Wizpig said:
Yes, i basically sent him Xbox live messages saying "try here", but he couldn't find anything.
I couldn't either.
I'm pretty sure servers are worldwide -- an italian friend of mine said he played with a UK player -- but...

Yeah, i got the drake sword, or i probably would still be at the beginning.

Servers are worldwide, I've played against or with JP players and I'm region 1 NA.

You won't find anything. Buf i you have white soapstone and put it down, if he doesn't see it in a couple minutes (where you placed it) then place it again. Everytime you place it, you supposedly change servers. Eventually you should end up on a server that he's on. But it could take awhile.

Don

I just finished my first playthrough today with about 96 hours of playtime and at SL73. It felt a bit cheap when I ended up beating
Gwyn
because I summoned Solaire for the first time during my entire playthrough just to see if there was any extra dialogue from him or anything special (which there wasn't sadly), and having him there allowed me to use the crystal ring shield to destroy
Gwyn
a bit too easily. I kind of wish I didn't bother summoning Solaire now and stuck to playing solo.

I was a little disappointed at the ending and the final boss as a character. I thought that the ending moments to Demon's Souls were better, along with better credit sequences showing the bosses or main characters from the game.

Great game overall and my current game of the year.

vermadas said:
Pretty sure there's another fog wall on the way down. I want to say it's at the end of a path in a cave right before you can hit that big stationary non-respawning creature in the back to clear the way.

Yeah, this is the one just after the squid.

Where's the next bonfire? My flask is getting low and I need to go human.

Thagomizer said:
Yeah, this is the one just after the squid.

Where's the next bonfire? My flask is getting low and I need to go human.

When you get off the scaffolding in the swamp, stick to the cave walls and proceed toward the right, I think (you'll see the spider lair off in the distance, most likely).

The bonfire is actually in a ramp that leads to the bottom of that "storm drain you were in".

Interesting little tidbit: after the game destroyed my save (see my post from Friday), I started again and didn't bother to patch it, because I'd heard you can exploit a glitch for extra souls in an unpatched game by
selling prism stones to Frampt for 100 souls each
, and having lost 100+ hours of progress, I'm quite interested in speeding up my progress. I'm not far enough to see if that's true, but I have noticed one major difference that's worth quite a few souls.

In the forest, on my first playthrough, there were some "ghosts" who were one-time kills. In the unpatched version, they re-spawn along with the other guys in there. That area is a great place to farm some souls for a while, once you're strong enough and before the amount of souls needed to level up gets too high. In this playthrough, I'll be able to get souls from this area more quickly, once I'm strong enough to chop through these guys a bit faster.

Wow, Tomb of the Giants is by far the hardest area in the game so far for me and I've been basically breezing through most of the game with my SL82 character.

anddo0

Can someone list the differences between the two Greatsword of Artorias swords?

I think I just got jerked. I have two Greatsword of Artorias. One has a magic property the other does not. I'm try to get the weapons trophy, did a check list and it appears I have everything, but yet no trophy. The Greatsword of Artorias is the only thing I can think of that screwed me over.

edit: one of the Greatsword of Artorias is black and the other is silver.

aasoncott

Leondexter said:
In the forest, on my first playthrough, there were some "ghosts" who were one-time kills. In the unpatched version, they re-spawn along with the other guys in there. That area is a great place to farm some souls for a while, once you're strong enough and before the amount of souls needed to level up gets too high. In this playthrough, I'll be able to get souls from this area more quickly, once I'm strong enough to chop through these guys a bit faster.

I'm farming like place like mad right now. There's a ridiculous exploit where you
can coax them all to follow you and have them jump one after another off the cliff. ~9000 souls per run, and there's a bonfire literally meters from where you do it (if you pay 20k souls to open the door, which pays for itself after a minute)

anddo0 said:
Can someone list the differences between the two Greatsword of Artorias swords?

I think I just got jerked. I have two Greatsword of Artorias. One has a magic property the other does not. I'm try to get the weapons trophy, did a check list and it appears I have everything, but yet no trophy. The Greatsword of Artorias is the only thing I can think of that screwed me over.

edit: one of the Greatsword of Artorias is black and the other is silver.

As far as I know there are three variations of the sword - one has Curse+100, Divine+100, and maybe the third is just plain. To get the trophy, and I could be totally wrong here, I think you might need just the Curse one (from a broken hilt is where I got it) and a light one. I dunno, can anybody confirm?

Sullichin

Yess I beat seath, shame that was the area I was having the most co-op luck with (although I beat him solo) because I never plan on going back there again.

Can frampt reinforce my estus flask? Thinking of killing the last firekeeper I know of that's still alive (Anor Londo)...

Dresden

I Push Fat Kids said:
What is this business about a patch?

Also, been on a tear but any tips on the dreaded dual archers of Anor Londo?
Just run up there - don't sprint, just regular speed. Arrows can't hit you when you're moving. Then at the top of the ledge just spring to the archer to the right and get close to him so he melees. Let him bash you until he falls off (or you can kick/Force/whatever).

anddo0

we.are.the.armada said:
As far as I know there are three variations of the sword - one has Curse+100, Divine+100, and maybe the third is just plain. To get the trophy, and I could be totally wrong here, I think you might need just the Curse one (from a broken hilt is where I got it) and a light one. I dunno, can anybody confirm?

I have both. I did some checking and have both.

The only weapon on the check list I don't have is the normal ghost blade (non-jagged, dropped by female ghost). I guess it off to the ruins?

Leezard

anddo0 said:
I have both. I did some checking and have both.

The only weapon on the check list I don't have is the normal ghost blade (non-jagged, dropped by female ghost). I guess it off to the ruins?
The non-jagged one is not needed for the trophy.

I Push Fat Kids said:
What is this business about a patch?

I ended up having to roll to both archers. I rolled first to the left one, killed him with a couple hits of combustion. There is some treasure down that way.. then as you approach archer #2, start rolling towards him. When he gets close enough he will revert to melee and then he got combusted as well. It took me many tries.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Mindlog said:
I'm torn.

By the time they will patch it most people will have finished the game... Patch should of come after the 1 month Japanese launch...

Eusis

we.are.the.armada said:
I got the cursed one from a longsword, and the regular one from the starting broken hilt. I think you'll always get the cursed one if you use anything BUT the starting broken hilt or a broken straight sword.

Can anyone give me points on how to get down to the bottom level of Sen's Fortress? I need a Titanite Catch Pole and those big guys down there seem like the best bet.

ShaneB

Beat the Iron Golem, was pretty easy actually.

Anor Londo looks absolutely beautiful, amazing vista and great introduction to the zone.

Sullichin

KoreanBarbecue said:
Can anyone give me points on how to get down to the bottom level of Sen's Fortress? I need a Titanite Catch Pole and those big guys down there seem like the best bet.

Drop down and do a plunging attack on the one that you can see on the right side. you'll lose most of your health and have to immediately heal before he attacks, but it worked for me.

x3r0123

anddo0 said:
My game is glitched then. I went up and down that list. I have every weapon in the game. :(

what list are you looking at?

KoreanBarbecue said:

at the beginning of the area with swinging axes, drop down the part where there are 3 snakes. Be prepare to roll and heal quickly

I Push Fat Kids said:

The dual archers really annoyed me then i discovered an easy way of killing them.

When your at the mid way point run fairly close to the archer on the right and soon as he takes his sword out just run back towards the mid way pillar and the archer will try and follow you but fall off the ledge instead.

If he does not fall off and instead goes back to his normal position just run towards him and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom