• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Motherfu-- You mean where I was supposed to go was that place with those shitty boulder throwers and that place where the corpses seemingly come alive but there's about 5 leech things inside them?

Oh man, I didn't really attempt that place because I kept getting one shotted by the boss. >_<
Yes, that's where the area boss is. You can pass all the boulder guys if you stick to the right side. You can ignore most of the corpse enemies. The leeches only come out if you hurt them.

it feels like there isn't as much "secret stuff" to this game as demons souls, maybe im wrong

also do the covenants just boil down to a few items and areas that get unlocked?

you pump a bunch of humanity into em and you get a few items and some areas become safe to explore no?
Well, I don't know about any areas becoming safe at all, but yeah, gaining ranks will in most cases give you special items needed for achievements/trophies. And they give you different pvp options. That's basically the whole point of most covenants.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I disagree about no secrets..without a guide or playing online I doubt most would come across the Hollow/Ash Lake or properly do stuff like Solaire/Seigmeyer's quests or even find Kaath before Frampt. Somewhat hidden summon signs like Beatrice and even a majority of the forest area, in my opinion, is pretty hard to thoroughly explore..especially the waterfall area with Dusk. Some of the bonfires are super well hidden too that when you find one it definitely feels like you unlocked a secret.

I disagree about no secrets..without a guide or playing online I doubt most would come across the Hollow/Ash Lake or properly do stuff like Solaire/Seigmeyer's quests or even find Kaath before Frampt. Somewhat hidden summon signs like Beatrice and even a majority of the forest area, in my opinion, is pretty hard to thoroughly explore..especially the waterfall area with Dusk. Some of the bonfires are super well hidden too that when you find one it definitely feels like you unlocked a secret.

Solaire's in particular is especially ridiculous- I knew what to do and I still fucked it up because I killed the Bed before Centipede.

I agree for the most part, but great hollow / ash lake? Maybe if you're playing offline, but so many people left the "illusory wall" message there...

Steroyd

Yep. Just run past the boulder throwers and run past the miserable looking hunchback dudes. You can try summoning some help for that boss at the bonfire or right outside the fog. What SL are you?

My SL is level 27 thanks to me running to a straight dead end, hohoho looks like I'll need some arrows for that Queleg. :(

The Ornstein and Smough fight is really fun. They really outdid themselves; so far this is cooler than any other boss from the Souls games (as far as I've played).

But I have to ask, have they addressed the input lag / command delay issue? I just died twice in a row to giant Ornstein just because of things not coming out properly and it's kind of a pain.

Question regarding Estus Flask.

I got the Firekeeper Soul from the back of the Parish (felt like a boss, good bunch of fights there), used the elevator to go back to Firelink Shrine. I gave the woman the Soul and she increased my Flask and the OSD now permanently says Estus Flask +1. All good.

I now went back to the Bonfire in the parish (where you meet your first Blacksmith) and it didn't give me all of my Flasks back (to 10?), does it only boost it to the new level at the Bonfire you gave the soul at?

Also, is it worth Kindling, and is that on a specific Bonfire basis too?

thanks

sixghost

I got the Firekeeper Soul from the back of the Parish (felt like a boss, good bunch of fights there), used the elevator to go back to Firelink Shrine. I gave the woman the Soul and she increased my Flask and the OSD now permanently says Estus Flask +1. All good.

I now went back to the Bonfire in the parish (where you meet your first Blacksmith) and it didn't give me all of my Flasks back (to 10?), does it only boost it to the new level at the Bonfire you gave the soul at?

thanks
Are you sure the blacksmith bonfire was kindled? The very first bonfire back at firelink is automatically kindled(10 flasks), but almost all others are 5 by default unless you specifically kindle that bonfire.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

thanks

The +1 indicates that your Estus flask now heals you more and is independent of how many Estus flasks you are carrying. The number of flasks you get refilled at a specific bonfire depends on how many times you've kindled that bonfire. Eventually you'll get the ability to kindle them 3 times total, for 20 flasks. I believe that for now 10 is the max (one kindling per fire).

It's generally worth kindling, especially in a tough area or near a boss, but you can get by without kindling every fire you see. By the time you finish, you may want to kindle certain bonfires to maximum, because they stay that way for New Game +. This matters because in NG+ you once again have to earn the power to kindle more than once.

The Ornstein and Smough fight is really fun. They really outdid themselves; so far this is cooler than any other boss from the Souls games (as far as I've played).

But I have to ask, have they addressed the input lag / command delay issue? I just died twice in a row to giant Ornstein just because of things not coming out properly and it's kind of a pain.

i really love that boss fight too, JUST had an amazing fight helping a host and another phantom. it took forever because they didn't have powerful weapons or magic, and i got hit so badly at the start i was one hit away from death (the host was out of Estus), so i could only attack when it was safe and not take risks... man it was a thrill. when super Ornstein had something like 30% health left, i put charcoal pine resin on my Uchigatana +14, two-handed it and went to town on him.... and of course died right when he only had a sliver of health left. i got to see them finish him off from beyond the grave, so it was cool even though i didn't get anything out of it :)

oh yea input lag is still in.... sucks. it might be a less common occurrance now though, i've only had it once.

roxya

Hah, platinum'd. Not a difficult game to platinum really...

I kinda crapped myself at the last visit to the Giant Blacksmith... last thing on my list was to create the Great Lord Greatsword and the Greatsword of Artorias (cursed). It didn't say (Cursed) so I was kinda worried that the wiki failed me. However, it's not supposed to say it :D

Minamu

They said they fixed it, but they didn't. Unless they mean something else. For example, before the patch, there was a very clear input lag when holding a shield and swinging an axe at the enemies in Darkroot Garden for me. I had the timing down perfectly so I could stunlock each enemy down to zero health within one stamina bar. It was clearly visible how late after the button press the swing actually started. And quite often when my shield is up and I want to drink a flask, nothing happens unless I press the button again or lower my shield. And sometimes rolling won't work. None of that is any different in 1.05 for me. I can't tell you how many times I've died due to the controls not responding or doing something else that I didn't intend.

Just read there's an summon npc called Beatrice. Never heard of her before, even after 100+ hours of game time o_O

tokkun

I think that From should have either eliminated loss of progress, or linked the chance of invasion to the help you have; if you're going through the level with two phantoms, you're getting invaded. Repeatedly. If you're soloing as human ( I do it for the higher drop rate, being able to summon boss gate NPCs) then invasions should be within narrower ranges and lesser chances IMO.

After they changed the co-op matching criteria in the latest patch it's getting pretty rare to invade someone who doesn't already have one or two phantom bodyguards. I do a lot of invading, and it's probably less than one third of invasions where you face someone one-on-one.

Hmm I am a little confused about how this is working.

To my knowledge I've not kindled any fires yet at all. My flasks were at 5 capacity, I got the Soul and took it to the woman in Firelink and when I rested at the Bonfire there it shot to 10 capacity.

If the Firelink one is already kindled to 10, what did the Firelink Soul do that I gave to the woman? Just +1 it I assume?

Also, how do I kindle other bonfires, by going Human? How do I change back afterwards?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Just read there's an summon npc called Beatrice. Never heard of her before, even after 100+ hours of game time o_O

She and Leeroy are the easiest NPC phantoms to miss. Both her summon signs are in out-of-the-way locations. The first is
under a bush beneath the stairway leading up to the Moonlight Butterfly. Amusingly, if you summon her without first destroying the bush it explodes as soon as she spawns.
The second is
near a pillar overlooking a fatal drop in New Londo right near the fog door leading to the entrance to the Abyss. When you exit the final building in New Londo you'll see the fog door to your left. Instead of going toward it turn right and then bear left when the path splits in two. A Darkwraith might ambush you from the right, so watch out for that. Her summoning sign is right next to the pillar, positioned so you can't see it from the exit of the building. It's only there if you already summoned her for the Moonlight Butterfly.

After beating the
Four Kings
a corpse appears in the Valley of Drakes with her gear on it. Nice if you've been jonesing for a pointed witch hat.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
wow, have people decided that invading is not part of the game?

7 out 10 i invaded last night disconnected on me, seriously. what a bunch of pussies. and the 3 who didn't disconnect were all japanese, yet none of the 7 cowards were... hmm, maybe there it's still considered part of the game? i don't get it.

also, this one guy disconnected on me even though he had a phantom with him... and a few minutes later i manage to invade him again and this time he had TWO phantoms with him and still disconnected! (because i managed to kill one of them). just WOW. incredibly lame. and so selfish, the host was wasting everyone's time.... the phantoms and i had to sit through loadscreens several times for nothing :(

the funny thing is, probably most of these people could have easily beaten me, as i was invading with shitty gear (unupgraded Darkwraith set, for the evil look heh), with the sole purpose of just having fun fights and providing a little excitement for them.... oh well, their loss. now i'll be invading with the best gear i have and 0 mercy lol. fuck this spineless community.
I'm still catching up with the latest thread activity, but I just wanted to reply to this.

I understand how frustrating that could be, and how spineless it may seem, but some of us genuinely have connection problems, and are just as peeved when it drops while someone is invading, or while co-oping. I usually send a message apologising, and folks seem pretty understanding.

Just wanted to say sorry if I've ever pussied out on you (or any aspiring evil-doers) inadvertently :(

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm I am a little confused about how this is working.

To my knowledge I've not kindled any fires yet at all. My flasks were at 5 capacity, I got the Soul and took it to the woman in Firelink and when I rested at the Bonfire there it shot to 10 capacity.

If the Firelink one is already kindled to 10, what did the Firelink Soul do that I gave to the woman?

Also, how do I kindle other bonfires, but going Human? How do I change back afterwards?
Yes! Finally something I can answer!

Giving a Firekeeper Soul 'upgrades' your flasks (you will see Estus Flask +1 in your equipped items), so it heals more.

Kindling a bonfire is what increases your max flasks from that bonfire by 5 - there is a limit, though. You have to go human and give 1 humanity, and the only way to "change back" is to die ;) May as well try some co-op or kindle a couple more bonfires while you're human.

Thanks everyone, slowly getting the hang of the basics!

Right now I think my next step (after Kindling!) is to take on a boss at the top of the church/parish. The flame messages on the floor say there is a boss and I can see fog up a ladder so I assume its there where I can ring the bell, after killing a dude I am sure.

Not sure if it's worth levelling up some more first, I am quite happy repeating sections over and over again to gain souls, it's a great combat system.

I am

Lv 30
Vitality 20
Attunment 12
End 22
Strength 16
Dex 12
Equip load is 30.8/62.0, but he still moves a little slower than before.

right now, not levelled up anything else. The Drake sword is really powerful for me right now :)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thanks everyone, slowly getting the hang of the basics!

Right now I think my next step (after Kindling!) is to take on a boss at the top of the church/parish. The flame messages on the floor say there is a boss and I can see fog up a ladder so I assume its there where I can ring the bell, after killing a dude I am sure.

Not sure if it's worth levelling up some more first, I am quite happy repeating sections over and over again to gain souls, it's a great combat system.

I am

Lv 30
Vitality 20
Attunment 12
End 22
Strength 16
Dex 12
Equip load is 30.8/62.0, but he still moves a little slower than before.

right now, not levelled up anything else. The Drake sword is really powerful for me right now :)

You're ready to take on the boss. You might as well move on in the game instead of grinding in Undead Burg where enemies give so few souls.

Varna

For the next game I want real balance between Magic and meele. A system were for example if you invested mostly in magic related options, physical options would begin to cost a lot more (and some even locked out entirely). Not to mention a completely redone system of elemental weapons.

Insaniac

looking for some help to blast through blighttown (from the depths entrance) i'm SL 23

xbox, GT TheLintendo

also I'm pure archery right now so I'm not the best fighter till i get the later game items (hence trying to get through blight town)

Can someone help me out with this cloud saving bullshit? I'm trying to download my save onto another ps3 but it keeps telling me "you can't download at this time, you can only download once per 24 hours, blah blah blah". Then it says next available time is 11/30/11 at 7:26 PM.

Problem is, I've never ever downloaded this save from online storage, onto any system so why the hell am I even getting this message? I've only been uploading once per day. Second problem is that it's freaking past 11/30/11 7:26 PM now and it's still saying the same thing. Oddly enough, my UC3 saves (which were uploaded at the same time as DS saves) copied over no problem.

EDIT: Ok, 15 minutes later and it works. What an awful first experience with PS+ cloud saving.

Getting a little frustrated. Here are my stats:

SL: 68
Vit: 14
Attn: 29
End: 12
Str:11
Dex: 12
Res: 8
Int: 47
Faith: 14

Now I have three spells, Soul Arrow, Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Heavy Soul Arrow, and Homing Soul Arrow. With my Int that high, why aren't my spells doing more damage? I'm currently wielding the sorcerer's catalyst. I don't really get the gist of weapon upgrading, either. How do I get this "enchanted" spell on a sword so I can make use of the Int stat scaling?

Am I doing something wrong? What weapon should a pure Int player use? Armor? Currently have the lightning spear but it sucks.

Steroyd

In my search for some arrows, I accidentally stumbled upon how I could get the Drake Sword...

MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thanks, will do.

I wish I could back my save up onto USB stick. You guys with 100hrs of game time must be shitting it! :D

PSN + and online storage + auto update = *smokes cigar*

CatPee

Can someone help me out with this cloud saving bullshit? I'm trying to download my save onto another ps3 but it keeps telling me "you can't download at this time, you can only download once per 24 hours, blah blah blah". Then it says next available time is 11/30/11 at 7:26 PM.

Problem is, I've never ever downloaded this save from online storage, onto any system so why the hell am I even getting this message? I've only been uploading once per day. Second problem is that it's freaking past 11/30/11 7:26 PM now and it's still saying the same thing. Oddly enough, my UC3 saves (which were uploaded at the same time as DS saves) copied over no problem.

EDIT: Ok, 15 minutes later and it works. What an awful first experience with PS+ cloud saving.

Copy-protected saves have a 24h lock on them before you can redownload them. There might be a bit of a delay in the time registry for the servers that the saves are uploaded to, which probably explains it working 15 minutes later.

ixix

Now I have three spells, Soul Arrow, Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Heavy Soul Arrow, and Homing Soul Arrow. With my Int that high, why aren't my spells doing more damage? I'm currently wielding the sorcerer's catalyst.

Am I doing something wrong? What weapon should I use? Armor?

Your Int is fine, but the real power for sorcery comes from stacking damage boosts. If you're angling for a sorcery-focused build then you'll want to pair the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring from Griggs with the Dusk Crown from Dusk of Oolacile. That'll give you a significant boost to your damage output on the spot. Once you beat
the Duke's Archive
you'll gain access to two catalysts that will make better use of your Int stat and increase your damage yet again. You're also still a tier below the ultimate attack spells. The real stars of the show are Crystal Homing Soulmass, Crystal Soul Spear, and White Dragon Breath when it comes to sorcery characters.

Also of note is that you can get a second set of 10 castings of Homing Soulmass and 4 castings of Soul Spear in a single game by buying the first set from Logan then talking to Griggs after Logan leaves Firelink. He'll have a second set of each available for you after that point.

Magic and Enchanted upgrades for your weapon are available from the blacksmith in New Londo. He's near the bottom of the ruined staircase directly across from the tower that leads to the Valley of Drakes. He can take a weapon to Magic +5 by default, but needs embers to upgrade to Magic +10 or Enchanted. If you're talking about the spell Magic Weapon, you need to have your Catalyst equipped in your left hand, the weapon you want to enchant in your right hand, and the weapon you're enchanting can't have any form of damage other than physical. In other words, anything other than a +0 to +15 basic weapon or a Raw weapon can't be enchanted with spells.

I just beat Ornstein & Smough and don't know where to go. Where am I supposed to continue?

I forged a Lightning Claymore +5 and kicked the shit out of these two by the way. SL67 at the moment with these stats (Cleric):

38 Vitality
14 Attunement
38 Endurance
16 Strength
10 Dexterity
11 Resistance
08 Intelligence
14 Faith (gonna put some points in this once I'm done with with Vit and End)

Doing goo~ood.

elty

Now I have three spells, Soul Arrow, Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Heavy Soul Arrow, and Homing Soul Arrow. With my Int that high, why aren't my spells doing more damage? I'm currently wielding the sorcerer's catalyst. I don't really get the gist of weapon upgrading, either. How do I get this "enchanted" spell on a sword so I can make use of the Int stat scaling?

Am I doing something wrong? What weapon should a pure Int player use? Armor? Currently have the lightning spear but it sucks.

Stat over 40 has diminishing return. Moonlight great sword is probably the most powerful INT weapon.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat Ornstein & Smough and don't know where to go. Where am I supposed to continue?
Look around in the O&S chamber a bit more.

If that's not enough, then
towards the back of the chamber are two lifts that take you up to a floor with a bonfire. Go through the large door behind the bonfire.

I just got a Demon Spear from one of those flying bat guys in Anor Londo. The damage was pretty weak compared to my lightning Iaito. Is this thing supposed to be good?

klee123

I just got a Demon Spear from one of those flying bat guys in Anor Londo. The damage was pretty weak compared to my lightning Iaito. Is this thing supposed to be good?

It Outdamages the lightning Iato at high levels, but for the most part, the Lightning/Fire Weapons are better.

They're not as nearly as useful during NG+.

ixix

I pumped my Dex to 20 and started using Ricard's Rapier. It's a lot of fun. Not sure I'd really call it good, but it is mighty flashy.

Septimius

Is this still the case with str/dex ? Even after the patch?

Yes. Your stats will be better spent diversifying your character (having 30 INT will be way better than having 60 DEX) than ever going over 40. There's pretty much nothing to gain. I think 10 levels in STR or DEX give 4 damage to an A scaling weapon over 40.

Wool

So last night I was in the Demon Ruins just about to light the second bonfire and I got invaded. I had to fight the guy to light it and I got beat. Fast forward to about 15 minutes later and I've worked my way back down and am about to light it again but I get invaded by the same person. I was pretty sure he would beat me again, so I sent a message real quick just saying "stop" in the subject line. The guy stands there for a second, then he comes up, waves, drops a titanite slab, and leaves my world.

This and Demon's Souls have the best communities of online players that I have ever seen. I've played through every stage multiple times now, but the things that happen online make it a pretty fresh experience every time.

So last night I was in the Demon Ruins just about to light the second bonfire and I got invaded. I had to fight the guy to light it and I got beat. Fast forward to about 15 minutes later and I've worked my way back down and am about to light it again but I get invaded by the same person. I was pretty sure he would beat me again, so I sent a message real quick just saying "stop" in the subject line. The guy stands there for a second, then he comes up, waves, drops a titanite slab, and leaves my world.

This and Demon's Souls have the best communities of online players that I have ever seen. I've played through every stage multiple times now, but the things that happen online make it a pretty fresh experience every time.

Holy crap, that's the most awesome thing I've ever heard.

Also, From needs to make a novelization of this and Demon's Souls (and translate it to English.) There's so much unexplored backstory that would be perfect for a novel it's ridiculous.

Also, fun fact I just realized from an item description: Gwyn has an uncle. Who is he? Allfather Lloyd, leader of the Way of White.

ixix

Isn't that the weapon that does fucking ridiculous damage with CMW and the R2 attack?

Yep. It's got the rapid-fire six-hit R2 combo. It's pretty brutal if you land the whole thing. The emphasis in that last sentence should be on "if."

Though the nice thing is it's actually a two-part combo, so if you whiff the first two shots you don't need to do the last four. Which is handy considering the full combo is murder on your stamina.

So has the new patches really made co-op possible? I don't really want to go through the whole game again only seeing a few signs.

The connectivity improvements are pretty drastic. There are always plenty of summoning signs near bonfires anymore.

Also, fun fact I just realized from an item description: Gwyn has an uncle. Who is he? Allfather Lloyd, leader of the Way of White.

Which item is that? I remember reading that, but could never remember which item I saw it in.

Minamu

She and Leeroy are the easiest NPC phantoms to miss. Both her summon signs are in out-of-the-way locations. The first is
under a bush beneath the stairway leading up to the Moonlight Butterfly. Amusingly, if you summon her without first destroying the bush it explodes as soon as she spawns.
The second is
near a pillar overlooking a fatal drop in New Londo right near the fog door leading to the entrance to the Abyss. When you exit the final building in New Londo you'll see the fog door to your left. Instead of going toward it turn right and then bear left when the path splits in two. A Darkwraith might ambush you from the right, so watch out for that. Her summoning sign is right next to the pillar, positioned so you can't see it from the exit of the building. It's only there if you already summoned her for the Moonlight Butterfly.

After beating the
Four Kings
a corpse appears in the Valley of Drakes with her gear on it. Nice if you've been jonesing for a pointed witch hat.
Prime example of why I use wikis when playing these games. I hate it when I miss stuff like this :D Thanks.

Man, Murakumo is some serious business. Damn thing deals like there's no tomorrow.

Which item is that? I remember reading that, but could never remember which item I saw it in.

White Seance Ring: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/white-seance-ring

A divine ring entrusted to the head bishop of the Way of White and apostle to Allfather Lloyd, uncle to Lord Gwyn. It grants additional attunement slots.

The head bishop of the Way of White is the guardian of law and caste, and one of the great royals of Thorolund.

shiroryu

Not only is she easy to miss, but if you don't summon her for what is probably the easiest boss fight in the game, you don't get her help for what is one of the hardest boss fights in the game. Didn't understand From's thinking for this one.

Numpt3

Not only is she easy to miss, but if you don't summon her for what is probably the easiest boss fight in the game, you don't get her help for what is one of the hardest boss fights in the game. Didn't understand From's thinking for this one.

Oh crap... I didn't see her sign when I fought moonlight butterfly. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What happens if you use a sword that you don't have the stats for? I was thinking of using Astora's Sword for the graveyard, but don't have enough Faith.

shiroryu

Oh crap... I didn't see her sign when I fought moonlight butterfly. :(

Am not looking forward to Four Kings having missed summoning Beatrice, and after the kind words said about them in this thread earlier. :( Am not going in there till I'm a Gandalf level mage.

I fought the Butterfly solo after I finished with the Gargoyles, and still won it handily. If you have Beatrice's help, I imagine you could park yourself at one end of the bridge with shield up and go make a sandwich.

What happens if you use a sword that you don't have the stats for? I was thinking of using Astora's Sword for the graveyard, but don't have enough Faith.
If it's Strength you're low on, you can two-hand it because the requirement is reduced. Any other stat, you got to have that stat at that level. You won't be able to even equip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom