• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If it's Strength you're low on, you can two-hand it because the requirement is reduced. Any other stat, you got to have that stat at that level. You won't be able to even equip it.
Hrm, I was still able to equip it...

You'll get a large negative damage modifier making the weapon useless.
Derp. I guess the only solution is to make a Divine longsword or something and hope it does enough damage against those skeletons?

----

Oh guh! The Antiquated Skirt was nerfed in the patch? :( What's the ideal armor set for a sorcerer now?

Dresden

Hrm, I was still able to equip it...

Derp. I guess the only solution is to make a Divine longsword or something and hope it does enough damage against those skeletons?

----

Oh guh! The Antiquated Skirt was nerfed in the patch? :( What's the ideal armor set for a sorcerer now?

Bro just find the Occult Club in Anor Londo and demod that into a Divine Club +5.

As for armor, just wear whatever you can find until you get a sweet wizard hat and robe from
Logan's corpse and chest.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Am not looking forward to Four Kings having missed summoning Beatrice, and after the kind words said about them in this thread earlier. :( Am not going in there till I'm a Gandalf level mage.

I fought the Butterfly solo after I finished with the Gargoyles, and still won it handily. If you have Beatrice's help, I imagine you could park yourself at one end of the bridge with shield up and go make a sandwich.

Beatrice's main use against
Four Kings
is just being another target. Having a second warm body down there takes off a lot of pressure. Her actual damage output is pretty poor.

She can totally solo the
butterfly
, though. The only boss fight that's more one-sided is
Leeroy against Pinwheel.

Am not looking forward to Four Kings having missed summoning Beatrice, and after the kind words said about them in this thread earlier. :( Am not going in there till I'm a Gandalf level mage.

Is it first playthrough? Four Kings are free for magic characters. Homing Crystal Soulmass/Crystal Soul Spear, and laugh at them.

Fuck Smough & Ornstein, fuck them up their stupid asses.

Game was smooth sailing till this boss. The problem I'm having is getting away from Ornstein so I can close in on Smough to deal damage. But the bastard homes in with a pool of ranged attacks or speedy thrusts.

Its Maneaters (3-1?) all over again.

Shito

The problem I'm having is getting away from Ornstein so I can close in on Smough to deal damage. But the bastard homes in with a pool of ranged attacks or speedy thrusts.
This should be a good enough hint for you to tell you that you should be doing the opposite, if you want to have it "easy".
Also, they reaaaally are there to entice you to try coop; with a fellow phantom at your side, they'll go down in a breeze.

Fuck Smough & Ornstein, fuck them up their stupid asses.

Game was smooth sailing till this boss. The problem I'm having is getting away from Ornstein so I can close in on Smough to deal damage. But the bastard homes in with a pool of ranged attacks or speedy thrusts.

Its Maneaters (3-1?) all over again.

Personally I would use the pillars and Smough himself to block Ornstein.

This should be a good enough hint for you to tell you that you should be doing the opposite, if you want to have it "easy".
Also, they reaaaally are there to entice you to try coop; with a fellow phantom at your side, they'll go down in a breeze.
I'm trying to avoid cheesing bosses with ranged just like I did in Demon's Souls. Melee on my first playthrough.

Personally I would use the pillars and Smough himself to block Ornstein.
I've tried playing around with positioning around the pillars, but I'm always worried with Ornstein speed thrusting through Smough.

Actually, I might try summoning Solaire for the meatshield and see how it goes.

I just got a Demon Spear from one of those flying bat guys in Anor Londo. The damage was pretty weak compared to my lightning Iaito. Is this thing supposed to be good?

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that way too many rare and ascended weapons are nothing special at all. I don't really understand why that is, but it was the same way in Demon's Souls and it bugs me.

The Golem Axe, as just one example, does less damage, weighs four times as much, and costs WAY more to upgrade, than a Lightning Battle Axe.

Color me confused.

Numpt3

Actually, I might try summoning Solaire for the meatshield and see how it goes.

I did this fight for the first time last night, died a few times on my own. Then I summoned Solaire and we owned the buggers.

Do NPC's 'level' with you? I remember summoning Solaire to help me with the gargoyle's early in the game and he was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Shito

But I want Ornstein's armour :(
Ok, now this is a good reason! :D

m0ngo said:
I did this fight for the first time last night, died a few times on my own. Then I summoned Solaire and we owned the buggers.
I found Solaire to be quite useless in this battle, as he died way too soon for me (around when I was about to kill Ornstein, leaving me alone for the remaining angry Smough). :(
But it's still worth giving it a try.

Did you guys use the Drakes Sword near the start of the game? I guess I kept using it because it's really powerful, but I suppose it might be a little too good. My best weapon other than that is the Battle Axe I think, although I have things like Rapiers which I have picked up too.

krakov

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that way too many rare and ascended weapons are nothing special at all. I don't really understand why that is, but it was the same way in Demon's Souls and it bugs me.

The Golem Axe, as just one example, does less damage, weighs four times as much, and costs WAY more to upgrade, than a Lightning Battle Axe.

Color me confused.

Early game weapons ascended to lightning/fire seems about as powerful as whatever you can get your hands on. They really need to think about how to make the progression more interesting if they make another game in the series. The patch was a step in the right directions but ultimately it didn't do much.

Beating the game without ever leveling up also isn't hard at all, I'd almost recommend doing that instead of blindly pumping stats. Put those souls into upgrading and you're a beast as soon as you get to Parish blacksmith. Level up only if you need it for a weapon/spell/miracle or go with vit/end for durability.

Early game weapons ascended to lightning/fire seems about as powerful as whatever you can get your hands on. They really need to think about how to make the progression more interesting if they make another game in the series. The patch was a step in the right directions but ultimately it didn't do much.

Beating the game without ever leveling up also isn't hard at all, I'd almost recommend doing that instead of blindly pumping stats. Put those souls into upgrading and you're a beast as soon as you get to Parish blacksmith. Level up only if you need it for a weapon/spell/miracle or go with vit/end for durability.

Use souls to upgrade weapons? Is it wise to wait for the "right" weapon or can you upgrade any?

Beating the game without ever leveling up also isn't hard at all, I'd almost recommend doing that instead of blindly pumping stats. Put those souls into upgrading and you're a beast as soon as you get to Parish blacksmith.

Realistically you can only upgrade to +5 until you ring the second bell (very little access to large shards or chunks prior to Sen's), and generally speaking +5 weapons ain't shit, let alone beastly. But I do agree that gear is more important than stats. My current build (SL23) is just as tough as some of my earlier builds were at much higher levels. No question.

Frank

Use souls to upgrade weapons? Is it wise to wait for the "right" weapon or can you upgrade any?

Upgrade any to +5, as it's 'free' of repercussions. From +5 the path for upgrading starts forking, so you might wanna take a look at this chart.

To upgrade to +5 you need Titanite Shard, and you can buy them directly from Andre, the blacksmith. You need, IIRC, 9 TSs to upgrade any weapon to +5. Each TS is 800 souls to buy, so you can do some math and see what are your options.

If you upgrade further, no worries -- you can always revert back, there's an option at the blacksmith; but you'll be losing the souls & titanite you used to upgrade until that point (I... think, I'm actually not really sure about the losing part, as I never downgraded anything; though it makes sense to be like this in a Souls game :p)

Cheers, thanks.

I actually have about 10 Titan Shards, among a couple of other titan things too. Fuck, there is a lot to this game, its mad! :)

My character moves slowly at the moment, but his load is 30 out of 60, maybe 30 is too heavy though. Will try with different armour, but I think I've been upgrading when the stats on new stuff is blue, but was probably ignoring stuff like weight. Will look and adjust.

Oh one thing, I am carrying every weapon/item I have found so far (loads of items), can I sell ones off I don't want, and store ones I want to keep? Is the bottomless storage box for this?

I'm stuck on Quelaag with my melee/pyromancy character. Any suggestions? STR/DEX is split 24 in each I think. I just get mauled by her and my weapon doesn't do much damage at all. Like 70-90 damage per hit. Any suggestion as to which weapon will make this easy? Even Mildred doesn't last long enough if I summon her to be a meat shield.

This fight was so goddamn easy on my caster. Sigh.

Oh one thing, I am carrying every weapon/item I have found so far (loads of items), can I sell ones off I don't want, and store ones I want to keep? Is the bottomless storage box for this?

Yeah thats right. It lets you store stuff at bonfires.

Let's say I own 1 million souls, and I am in sirit form. If I pu a sign before a boss fog, and I am killed, will I lose all my souls ?

You mean if you get summoned by someone else? If so, no you won't lose anything. You'll just be sent back to the last bonfire you rested at.

Totalriot

Let's say I own 1 million souls, and I am in sirit form. If I pu a sign before a boss fog, and I am killed, will I lose all my souls ?

You mean while being summoned and helping the host? No, you won't lose your souls when being summoned and then killed.

Edit: Beaten

Shito

I'm stuck on Quelaag with my melee/pyromancy character. Any suggestions? STR/DEX is split 24 in each I think. I just get mauled by her and my weapon doesn't do much damage at all. Like 70-90 damage per hit. Any suggestion as to which weapon will make this easy? Even Mildred doesn't last long enough if I summon her to be a meat shield.

Quelaag is probably one of my favorite boss in the game: she's on the easy side, with nice patterns that are easy to learn, recognize, and play against. In fact, the fight against her reminded me of Devil May Cry a little bit, in the way it is meant to be played: learn her patterns, learn how to react to it, do it.
70~90 damage was what I was doing to her, and it makes for a nice fight: just learn the few moves she has, and you'll find it quite easy. Basically, you want to stay to her sides when she's spitting lava (all the while hitting her), you want to run far away when you see her charging her AoE attack, and as for her sword hits just roll between each one of them, and punish her recovery. And of course never stay around lava for too long.
I really loved this fight, fair and fun.

Frank

Cheers, thanks.

I actually have about 10 Titan Shards, among a couple of other titan things too. Fuck, there is a lot to this game, its mad! :)

My character moves slowly at the moment, but his load is 30 out of 60, maybe 30 is too heavy though. Will try with different armour, but I think I've been upgrading when the stats on new stuff is blue, but was probably ignoring stuff like weight. Will look and adjust.

Bottomless Box is your storage. Later in the game you'll be able to 'feed' whatever item you want to a creature, getting souls in return. However, the amount of souls you get is meager, so not really worth the whole effort actually.

Load & Character movement: relationship is:
  • Equip weight above or equal to 100% of Equip Burden leaves the player unable to roll and run.
  • Equip weight above or equal to 50% of Equip Burden gives slow movement.
  • Equip weight below and not equal to 50% of Equip Burden gives medium movement.
  • Equip weight below and not equal to 25% of Equip Burden gives fast movement.

Basically, I think you'd like to get back to below 25% to be where you were with the movement speed. Patch 105 tuned these a bit IIRC, 50% and 25% type movements start from equal or below now, instead of only below.

as a pyro character make sure you use Flash Sweat, and also if you have the fire resistance ring. with those two you can step in the lava and don't take much damage. i'm not sure if all her attacks are fire-based or not though.... some are at least. and two-hand your weapon, a shield isn't really necessary for the fight IMO.

but yeah you gotta learn the patterns. especially the AoE, it can be devastating.

Pejo

On my 3rd character (pure melee), I had a little trouble here too. As previously said it's just best to memorize the patterns and adjust accordingly. I still got nailed by a few of the explosions at <50% of her health though, so I'd make sure you can survive one of those topped off before trying.

Also, if you're doing melee style and Mildred is dying without contributing much, it may be better to go in solo, so Quelaag doesn't get the HP buff of having 2+ players in the arena. I noticed when i would summon her, she would constantly just get stuck in the lava and die a slow death without contributing much. I ended up beating it totally solo.

70-90 Damage is sufficient damage to whittle her down, but if you have a decent roll it may be better to forgo a shield and just dodge the sword slashes, so you can 2 hand your weapon.

Numpt3

Haha, I love how this game always has a way of knocking you down a peg or two when you start to get a little bit cocky.

There I was steam rolling through New Londo, not having much trouble with whatever stood in my way. Then I came to the
spiral staircase that drops you into the Abyss.... I didn't expect it to drop you straight into a boss fight. My arse was swiftly handed to me.

Minamu

My Siegmeyer didn't show up in Lost Izalith on ng+ :( I did everything right except I skipped him in Blighttown, but that's supposed to be optionable, afaik? I saw him in a video so it's not like I looked in the wrong spot either :( Even though I skipped Blighttown, his daughter still showed up and I did everything I could with her.

EasyMode

My Siegmeyer didn't show up in Lost Izalith on ng+ :( I did everything right except I skipped him in Blighttown, but that's supposed to be optionable, afaik? I saw him in a video so it's not like I looked in the wrong spot either :( Even though I skipped Blighttown, his daughter still showed up and I did everything I could with her.

I didn't think his appearance in Blighttown was optional. He's probably waiting there for you to give him some purple moss.

Still trucking along here on my first playthough, though I'm currently at a little snag with Ornstein and Smough. Someone please tell me that these guys are actually one of the tougher bosses in the game and that I'm not just terrible. I'm at the point now where I can get Ornstein dead about 50% of the time, but I'm yet to make much of a dent in the lightning powered Smough you have to fight next. Any advice on this? Cheese tactics?

Also considering taking a little break from trying to beat them to farm up the materials for the Furysword. I don't think that it's really much better than my current Lightning Spear, but I've not forged a boss weapon yet, and that one might be a bit useful as I have pretty high Dex.

Holy crap, that's the most awesome thing I've ever heard.

Also, From needs to make a novelization of this and Demon's Souls (and translate it to English.) There's so much unexplored backstory that would be perfect for a novel it's ridiculous.

Also, fun fact I just realized from an item description: Gwyn has an uncle. Who is he? Allfather Lloyd, leader of the Way of White.

You seem to be a big on the DS story so I would like to get an answer to this

*Spoilers past this point*

If the two bells are there to prevent people from going to Sen's and Sen is also guarded by a giant elemental golem to prevent people from going to Anor Lando, then it's safe to say that all these steps were put in by the Gwyns' right ?

If so, I can understand the two gargoyles guarding the first bell above the church since they can be (and probably are) just under Gwyndolin influence (if not outright created by him) but, why does Quelaag protect the second bell ?

Why should she give a fuck if you or any other dude want to ring the second bell to reach the city of gods ?

Her mother and sisters were pretty much taken out by the flame so why should she owe anything to the Gwyns' and actively block warriors trying to reach the second bell ?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Trying to decide the stat distribution for a Faith/Intelligence focused character. I've got the weapon I want to use so Im getting my strength and dex up to those requirements, then I'll probably just leave them there.

The part where I'm kind of stuck is how many points to dump into Vitality and Endurance (maybe 20 each, my armor will probably end up being lackluster in terms of defense) and how many points to dump in either INT or Faith based on weapon scaling (probably going to go with a Divine weapon).

Do we know what the Axillary Effect on Divine/Occult weapons does?

Minamu

I didn't think his appearance in Blighttown was optional. He's probably waiting there for you to give him some purple moss.
To my knowledge, it's been considered optional since day one, but maybe that was misinformation, like so much else. I'm on ng++ now so I'll have to try it from scratch now, if I can care enough to see it through :)

w00t rung the second bell and oh ma gawd why can't I light a bonfire at Firelink anymore. :(
The guardian below it was murdered in your absence. You can relight it later on at the cost of a flask ugrade.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The guardian below it was murdered in your absence. You can relight it later on at the cost of a flask ugrade.

Does this still happen if you
kill Lautrec before he can kill her?

The thing I don't like about Lautrec's armor is that the color is weird and doesn't match anything else, so you have to wear it in a set or it looks hideous.

Another point for Ornstein's armor: a lot looks good with it. I currently rock Giant's helm, Ornstein's armor and gauntlets, and Paladin leggings. I look baller.

You seem to be a big on the DS story so I would like to get an answer to this

*Spoilers past this point*

If the two bells are there to prevent people from going to Sen's and Sen is also guarded by a giant elemental golem to prevent people from going to Anor Lando, then it's safe to say that all these steps were put in by the Gwyns' right ?

If so, I can understand the two gargoyles guarding the first bell above the church since they can be (and probably are) just under Gwyndolin influence (if not outright created by him) but, why does Quelaag protect the second bell ?

Why should she give a fuck if you or any other dude want to ring the second bell to reach the city of gods ?

Her mother and sisters were pretty much taken out by the flame so why should she owe anything to the Gwyns' and actively block warriors trying to reach the second bell ?

To my knowledge, everything after the Bells-
which are basically bait to attract "chosen undead" candidates and wake up Frampt- isn't really explained. My best guess is that Sen's was set up to keep out looters- Anor Londo has been abandoned by the regular populace and is only inhabited by Gwyndolin, his and Gwynevere's personal guard, Ornstein's men, Smough, the blacksmith, and the Painting Guardians. The Archive is sealed off, although the Channellers obviously have some secret entrance/exit somewhere. Granted, those that are left are very powerful, but are rather limited- the section of city that you can access is very, very tiny, and also the most heavily defended. There's just not enough people to defend the whole city, so the normal entrance at the top of Sen's was collapsed and the fortress was built to stop anyone from trying to get in anyway.

Anyway, your main question.

My current thought is that Quelaag wasn't defending the Bell at all and it just happened to be there- either she made her home there around it, or it was installed after she was there (if Ornstein came down there and shoved his spear in her face, I doubt she's going to really be able to object). What she is really doing is defending her helpless sister from the heavily armed Undead who just barged into their home and gathering Humanity to try to save her life and ease her suffering. You kill a woman who's defending her sister and desperately trying to reduce her pain.

.GqueB.

Banned
I have a question here:

So I restarted as a faith character because I didnt like the lack of focus my first character had. Right now, Im about to up my faith the 35 (since 40 seems to be the cut off) which would put me at level 66. I dont want to level up much beyond 85 because I still want to get summoned and such.

Now given that I have 19 points to spare, should I pump most of this into DEX so I can be a bit more formidable melee wise (since it scales)? Or should I forget about DEX and mostly use faith/occult weapons and spend those points on END, VIT and ATT?

What do you think GAF?

malfcn

What are the chances of running into people on Xbox? Is there much of a story? I saw the endings..(
that's it?
) I still don't know why this game interests me when I am not a big rpg/dungeon player. No quests? Just mobs, bosses and open world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom