• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

Crumbs, I didn't know Dark Wood Grain let you move at full speed with <50%... could have been really helpful throughout most of my first playthrough - ruined with an answer to a simple question...

Anyhoo, thanks for the tips. I took the advice given and upgraded some stuff, used some boss souls, etc. ready for NG+. I went and beat Gwyn using pure melee (no parries) and some trusty stalagmite allies. Felt like a decent last boss.

I made another slip, though.
I foolishly tried to walk back out to see if anything had changed in the world, or spend my souls before 'finishing' the game, and was promptly met with a cutscene. Pretty sure I got the 'bad' ending and missed something in the cavern...

I mean, pleased I finished the game and all (level 101, about 70hrs), but I can't help feeling like a douche. All that epic keeping the fire alive business and finally I inadvertently choose to
become a Dark Lord of the True Dark.
A bit depressing, really.

Ah well, there's always the next playthrough I guess :)

Au contraire! you will consider yourself lucky when you eventually see what you "missed" you got the good ending by far.........I don't think I have encountered a single person on this or any site that did not prefer your ending. Make sure to visit Kaathe on your next playthrough....he enlightens things quite a bit. I'm never choosing FRampt ever again, nor linking any fires.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yep. I've heard that the Gravelord signs appear where invaders usually spawn in. Easy to find in Anor Londo, near impossible to stumble upon in a place like Sen's Fortress.

Yup, the curse stays with the cursed player till the servant dies or logs out. And the wiki chatter says the spawned 'disasters' are quite strong, kind of like the BP versions of normal enemies in Demons' Souls.

Edit: A guy on the preparetodie forums says that if the Servant leaves an area, the sign migrates with him, and infected players in the old area are released, and players in the new area infected. That may be why invasions seem to be short-lived; the Servant is moving from one area to another.

Which is counterbalanced, thankfully, by the increased invasions.

It's very interesting in theory - you hide the sign in a remote area, and as your targets blunder around in their worlds and hopefully die, you're farming souls with no issues (the farming effect is not fully confirmed I think)...as long as you are strong enough to repel invasions. But you can heal, which leaves the invaders at a disadvantage. Cool design, lots of checks and balances, but the implementation seems to be wonky.

Alright. I'm going to start resting at the bonfire after throwing down my sign then do a little patrol from the bonfire to the main hall. Going to have to adjust to actually doing something between summonings instead of having downtime. The time between summonings is usually when I post here.

My nightmare scenario, so to speak, is seeing a Gravelord enemy then getting a notification that I'm being summoned before I can cancel my summoning sign. If that happens I guess I'll just have to use the black crystal then send the host a contrite PSN message.

shiroryu

Alright. I'm going to start resting at the bonfire after throwing down my sign then do a little patrol from the bonfire to the main hall. Going to have to adjust to actually doing something between summonings instead of having downtime. The time between summonings is usually when I post here.

My nightmare scenario, so to speak, is seeing a Gravelord enemy then getting a notification that I'm being summoned before I can cancel my summoning sign. If that happens I guess I'll just have to use the black crystal then send the host a contrite PSN message.

Best of luck, though I'm not very optimistic about your chances. And if you did manage to find one, I imagine it'd be a race between invaders to kill the guy.

Though it could end up being a battle between the three vengeance phantoms/darkwraith invaders/darkmoon invaders. Can the blue invaders hurt red invaders and vice versa? It'd be an epic throwdown lol.

Man I wish Dark Souls was on the PC.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this at the supermarket and got awful flashbacks of the Great Hollow...

Mushroomparentandchild.jpg

*sideshowbobshudder*

sixghost

I made a new character, but I'm staying away from the lightning weapon easy mode.

Also, are there any boss weapons in this game that aren't garbage?

There are some boss weapons that are fun to use, but you can't look at them in terms of pure damage. I like Ornstein's Spear and the Iron Golem axe because of the special ranged attacks.

They aren't the best weapons in the game, but they're pretty cool because they're a bit different. Also, Lifehunt Scythe is awesome. Priscilla's Dagger too.

There are some boss weapons that are fun to use, but you can't look at them in terms of pure damage. I like Ornstein's Spear and the Iron Golem axe because of the special ranged attacks.

They aren't the best weapons in the game, but they're pretty cool because they're a bit different. Also, Lifehunt Scythe is awesome. Priscilla's Dagger too.

Too bad the dragon slayer's strong 2-handed attack is worthless and the ranged bolt its telegraphed from a mile away. You are essentially down two possible attacks while using it.

Yeah, priscilla's dagger is fun.

4 Kings were easier to beat than I expected, but man the abyss really messed with my head. I kept thinking I was close enough, swinging and then missing. I ended up running right up to them to make sure I was close enough to hit them.

Talk about a leap of faith beforehand, too!

I'm at the Lost Izalith boss now. After I kill it, my adventure is nearly over. Bah!

elohel

4 Kings were easier to beat than I expected, but man the abyss really messed with my head. I kept thinking I was close enough, swinging and then missing. I ended up running right up to them to make sure I was close enough to hit them.

Talk about a leap of faith beforehand, too!

I'm at the Lost Izalith boss now. After I kill it, my adventure is nearly over. Bah!

how many hours you got logged?

I haven't played in ages :(

Couldn't beat Sif or the demon at the Asylum, gave up, Skyrim came out, etc.

That Stray Demon was really a pain for me as well. Finally beat him today. Pyromancy is practically useless against him from what I found. The bleed damage from my Iaito helped out a lot, but it was still a very close fight.

elty

Stray demon seems to be extremely easy to me. I think he only has 3 attacks: normal swing, explosive attack (target aoe in the front) and a jumping attack. He is slow to turn so first attack can never hit you if you stay behind. If you stay behind him by a few feet, his explosion attack will never hit you. Not to mention with a good magic shield you can block most of the attack anyways. His jumping attack takes so long you can probably walk away with leisure.

I think Dark Souls has too many "stay close and strafe and it can never hit you unless it aoe" type of boss. Demon's Souls seems to have a lot more variety.

Ristlager

It seems that I am close to the and now, killed the centepede demon in the lava. I finally got the large fire ember. I have the black night +5 armor set ,Eagleshield + 10. And a Uichi lightning +5. Is there anything better in the game? Got a scimitar fire +7 and an iato + 12 which I am currently trying to upgrade.

And should I now just go around killing every np? Or do they still do something, if so when is the last chance I can kill them?

Sullichin

Stray demon seems to be extremely easy to me. I think he only has 3 attacks: normal swing, explosive attack (target aoe in the front) and a jumping attack. He is slow to turn so first attack can never hit you if you stay behind. If you stay behind him by a few feet, his explosion attack will never hit you. Not to mention with a good magic shield you can block most of the attack anyways. His jumping attack takes so long you can probably walk away with leisure.

I think Dark Souls has too many "stay close and strafe and it can never hit you unless it aoe" type of boss. Demon's Souls seems to have a lot more variety.

The annoying thing about this boss for me is that depending on what attack he decides to first, you're fucked. Really, I've had him attack me right after landing and there was nothing I could do about it quickly enough. Always frustrating to trek to a boss and then die after one second. I still love this boss though, he's fun to fight.

It seems that I am close to the and now, killed the centepede demon in the lava. I finally got the large fire ember. I have the black night +5 armor set ,Eagleshield + 10. And a Uichi lightning +5. Is there anything better in the game? Got a scimitar fire +7 and an iato + 12 which I am currently trying to upgrade.

And should I now just go around killing every np? Or do they still do something, if so when is the last chance I can kill them?

I believe Solarie can help you with the final boss if you've managed to keep him alive up to this point. Otherwise, no, go crazy and kill everyone.

Ill Saint

I'm sure they're trash in PvP. I just meant vs the AI.

I use the Dragon Slayer spear on one of my guys and have racked up a respectable amount duel wins. It's actually a really nice weapon. The initial two-handed R2 has its uses, and while the single handed R2 is not very strong, it can catch magic users off guard.

shiroryu

Yeah, blind hero, old monk, Garl Vinland etc. were much better conceptually, where they were made sense. First real boss in DeS is an amalgamation of the annoying enemies you fight - the lone spear being thrown out of the boss room is epic.

In contrast, Taurus/Capra/Gargoyles/Gaping are your typical monstrous uglies that are just there. Why? Why have demons like Taurus and Capra taken up residence in the Burg? The Gargoyles at least placed correctly - but what are they defending?

I think they fell into the 'bigger is epic-er' trap with DaS, so most bosses follow that mold of "hits like a truck, but is not a big issue if you're at the back". It's an impression that I formed when I first saw the trailer, they were banking on the 'oh shit' factor. Or they might be reliant on environmental limits like Capra. The Moonlight Butterfly fight, while easy, was a nice break - dodge without recourse for some time, then wail away.

I still prefer this over DeS if only for the streamlined combat, the joy of exploring and interconnections, and the more colorful world.

the chris

Just got my Platinum trophy on Friday, I think my soul level ended up being somewhere around 140 with a final play time around 120 hours. Maybe I should go back and try to Platinum Demons Souls.

methane47

Just beat it... 70 hours: sl 83 or so.

Gwyn was a pain.... killed me like 20 times before i figured i could parry him.... then he killed me another 5 times before i figured you could parry almost everything he throws... then i read it was a cheat ... oh well...

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Have fun farming pure Bladestone&Darkmoon stone
Darkmoon is easy if you use the xmb trick (kill gecko, press x to view item but DON'T press x again to pick item up if it isn't darkmoon, quit to XMB, when you come back gecko is alive again without the spawn counter being affected). Bladestone, lol yeah say good bye to 3-5 hours of your life.

Aselith

Yeah, blind hero, old monk, Garl Vinland etc. were much better conceptually, where they were made sense. First real boss in DeS is an amalgamation of the annoying enemies you fight - the lone spear being thrown out of the boss room is epic.

In contrast, Taurus/Capra/Gargoyles/Gaping are your typical monstrous uglies that are just there. Why? Why have demons like Taurus and Capra taken up residence in the Burg? The Gargoyles at least placed correctly - but what are they defending?

I think they fell into the 'bigger is epic-er' trap with DaS, so most bosses follow that mold of "hits like a truck, but is not a big issue if you're at the back". It's an impression that I formed when I first saw the trailer, they were banking on the 'oh shit' factor. Or they might be reliant on environmental limits like Capra. The Moonlight Butterfly fight, while easy, was a nice break - dodge without recourse for some time, then wail away.

I still prefer this over DeS if only for the streamlined combat, the joy of exploring and interconnections, and the more colorful world.

Well, that particular one you could consider them territorial creatures defending their roost on top of the church OR you could posit that they were put there to guard the bell since there is only one access point.

Derrick01

Banned
Is there a way to get close enough to the
perched dragon
in undead burg without getting roasted? I got kind of close earlier and lost about 11k souls that I mostly obtained from a boss/mini boss a little before that. Kind of want that back lol

Leezard

perched dragon
in undead burg without getting roasted? I got kind of close earlier and lost about 11k souls that I mostly obtained from a boss/mini boss a little before that. Kind of want that back lol

Well, if you trick the dragon to hop down to the bridge he is a bit slower to react if you just run beneath him, so you can run past him without getting toasted.

CatPee

perched dragon

Hide behind the wall by the staircase in the middle of the bridge for a little bit. It'll then jump down. Start running.

Derrick01

Banned
Thanks for the tips but my efforts were futile. Welp at least I can recover the 1600 I just lost since it was closer and I can finally say fuck that to that area :\

Sullichin

So.. any tips for getting Dusk to show up? I killed the hydra, rescued her, and I can't find her summon sign. Reloaded my save, went back to the bonfire. Don't know what else I should try

EDIT: Nevermind. It was in the water, and nearly invisible. :p

george_us

Dark Souls was my unquestioned game of the generation...until you meet those fucking
Anor Londo archers.
I don't know how From let something this terrible slip through. There's absolutely no way anyone actually play tested that section. No way. Single-handily ruined the game for me and now I have no idea whether I'll even beat this or not.

Stray Demon's one the easiest bosses in the game. Seriously. Not like "oh I'm so l33t I can solo 4 Kings with no armor and a shortsword" joke type of situation, like "he's so predictable you can kill him without getting hit unless he gets lucky". Here's how:

1. Fall into the hole from the side that has the second bonfire. This puts you as far away from him as possible. Roll away as soon as you land and heal.

2. Move towards him, he'll use one of two moves (he only has like 4). Either the one when he points the stick forwards intending to fire an AoE blast in front of him (run for his back when you see this), or the one where he tries to do a two-handed swing (run at him and then run to his side as he swings, roll to the side as it comes down if you have to).

3. You are now behind him, which essentially means you've already won. He only has (and will only do) two moves from here, one where he sticks the staff into the ground and AoEs around his body (run away when you see him doing it, then run back in and attack when the blast clears), and one where he flies into the air and tries to sit on you (TURN OFF Target Lock and move away, then go back in and attack when he lands, staying behind him).

That's it. Stay behind him, and you win. Demon Firesage is even easier than he is because he follows the same crappy behavior but has less HP. As soon as you get a weapon that does decent damage (I used my Iaito last time) you can go right back and kill him easily regardless of your level or HP. He's almost Pinwheel level bad. They'd seriously be way, WAY harder if they had the Asylum Demon attacks/AI.

Dark Souls was my unquestioned game of the generation...until you meet those fucking
Anor Londo archers.
I don't know how From let something this terrible slip through. There's absolutely no way anyone actually play tested that section. No way. Single-handily ruined the game for me and now I have no idea whether I'll even beat this or not.

This spot is a bit of a crap shoot but I can get through and I don't use a shield on any of my characters. How I do it is this:

1. Run past pretty much everyone on your way up to them. Fight the spear demons if you want, but I ignore them.

2. Wait until they both have fired and hit the pillar you're presumably hiding behind waiting to make your approach. then run along the side and up the walkway. Don't stop for any reason.

3. Run and head to the right, getting as close to the right archer as possible. The goal is to neutralize him from firing arrows. He will get a shot to fire an arrow while you're going at him, stay as left against the wall as possible and roll through it if it actually comes at you. Most times it hits the corner of the wall he's next to instead. When he pulls his sword, either attack (if you're like me and have no shield) or block his sword. 75% of the time he pushes himself right off the ledge trying to kill you. Run past him and you're home free.

Anor Londo archers.

Run as fast as you can with your shield up towards the one on the right and ignore one on the left. It's kinda awkward but once you get it it's not that bad.

george_us

Run as fast as you can with your shield up towards the one on the right and ignore one on the left. It's kinda awkward but once you get it it's not that bad.
I've done this over and over again and the asshole still hits me with an arrow and knocks me off every. Fucking. Time. It's pure, absolute luck whether you make it through this section.

I've done this over and over again and the asshole still hits me with an arrow and knocks me off every. Fucking. Time. It's pure, absolute luck whether you make it through this section.

Edit: Rush to the one on the right (as close as you can) until he takes his sword out and block his attack and he should fall down.

(It's been couple weeks since I played through that last time)

Heh, it's always "awwww" inducing to see new players fret over those tiny amounts. Later on in the game there are standard enemies that drop that or more than that amount of souls each.

It always hurt more at the start though. The same was true for Demon's.

By the end of Demon's, and where I am now in this game, I need 70k just to level up. That means I can lose 30k and not really care too much. In the start when you're really weak and desperate for more help from your stats, it really hurts to lose that shit.

I tried that to and the right archer followed me down. I ran all the way down and hid behind the pillar hoping that he'd fall off. When I noticed he didn't fall off, I ran back out to lure him to me only to discover that he pulled out his bow. Guess what happened next?

I hate the archers completely. You cannot get hit by arrows while rolling or doing flips.
You don't need to start rolling until you get to the top ledge.

Best strategy:

Dark wood grain ring + wrath of god

Second best:

Stamina regen and rolling + combustion

Ignore the guy on the left. Roll/flip to the right one until he switches to melee. Then spam combustion or WoG. Rolling is the key. The dark grain ring will also help for the boss in Lost Izalith.

BTW I don't think that I've said it in this thread yet but the patch totally butchered summonings for me. They haven't worked once since the patch was released (even though I can see a lot more signs now).

Which is funny because I didn't have any problems with them pre-patch.

Yeah, timing the roll is like THE most important part of getting past the archers. You can roll through the arrows if you time it right, much easier if you happen to have Dark Wood Grain Ring.

tokkun

The key is that you have to face your shield away from the wall. You will be knocked back in the opposite direction of the way your shield is facing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
When I get invaded, aren't the invaders supposed to be somewhat the same level as me? I get invaded all the time and these guys have all these superpowers and nice kit. I get destroyed.

ixix

I tried that to and the right archer followed me down. I ran all the way down and hid behind the pillar hoping that he'd fall off. When I noticed he didn't fall off, I ran back out to lure him to me only to discover that he pulled out his bow. Guess what happened next?

If you're having trouble with the blitz strategy you can go back to Firelink and buy some Poison Arrows. Stand at the far end of the platform that the two demons are on and you can shoot them from outside their range. Technically they're out of your range as well, but if you aim well above them and a bit to the left your arrows will still hit them on the downward arc of their trajectory. Use some cheapo arrows to get the aim right then switch to the poisoned ones without moving the targeting cursor and pump two into each. The arrow itself won't do any damage but they'll still be poisoned. Once they're poisoned just wait and they'll die. There's absolutely no danger to this method, but it takes a while.

When I get invaded, aren't the invaders supposed to be somewhat the same level as me? I get invaded all the time and these guys have all these superpowers and nice kit. I get destroyed.

By my estimation, more than half of invaders are pros - ie, dicks who have cleared the game at level 34 or whatever and have endgame gear and weapons despite their level. A good percentage of them are legit, though, too. Hit and miss, take the good with the bad, etc.

ixix

They're almost certainly packing maxed-out Lightning/Fire/Chaos weapons and fully upgraded Pyromancy Flames, all of which do lots of damage regardless of level. A lot of the really popular invader weapons like the Shotel and Bandit's Knife also have really low stat requirements, so they can pump almost nothing but Endurance and Vitality for those levels they do elect to take.

I gotta confess I'm starting to find invasions exhausting. After playing dozens of rounds of Lag Tag against glass cannon builds the novelty of them is dead and buried. I used to get enthused when I saw the message that a dark spirit had invaded, nowadays I just do the Not This Shit Again emote.

CatPee

What's with people having so much trouble at the Anor Londo archers? I was dreading of it so much after hearing about it, only to get there and sprint up without them even hitting me. Then I just killed the one on the left first and went for the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom