• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused cause Griggs doesn't "give" or sell you an actual sword. He sells a sorcery called "Magic Weapon" though if that's what you're talking about.

To use it, go to a bonfire to attune the spell (need an attunement slot and the minimum Int requirement), equip a catalyst in left hand and a regular enchantable weapon in the right hand, and press L1 to enchant).

Also, check your weapon list again for the Sorcerer's Catalyst. It should've been found with the Sorcerer's armor set in the same room you freed Griggs.

Ah yeah Magic Weapon, that's it.
I went my list a few times to check if I have the catalyst, maybe I didn't pick it up.

So the Magic Weapon doesn't actually become your weapon, it just attaches to another one that is enchantable? And, how do you know what weapons are enchantable?

Insaniac

can somebody answer me this:

You can ascend weapons to divine +10 OR occult +5 right? I read on the wiki that there is a difference in occult and divine damage

but you can also ascend weapons to magic +10 or enchanted +5. Whats the difference there? And is there a damage difference in divine +10 vs occult +5 and magic +10 vs enchanted +5 ?

You can ascend weapons to divine +10 OR occult +5 right? I read on the wiki that there is a difference in occult and divine damage

but you can also ascend weapons to magic +10 or enchanted +5. Whats the difference there? And is there a damage difference in divine +10 vs occult +5 and magic +10 vs enchanted +5 ?

I don't know about Divine vs Occult (would like for somebody to clear it up), but Magic vs Enchant is this:

Magic= keeps your INT stat adjustment at C but has a higher base damage
Enchant= Increases your INT adjustment to A, so if you are invested a lot in INT, go Enchanted

CatPee

Divine/Occult are Faith-scaling magic weapons. However, Occult has a slightly lower overall damage, but better stat scaling.

Magic/Enchanted are Intelligence-scaling magic weapons. Enchanted is like Occult, where it gets better scaling.

Question about Big Hat Logan. Does he
go mad only after you buy all his spells? or does he eventually go mad if you wait too long? I want to buy his spells so I can get the magic achievement, but I dont have enough souls to buy all of his exclusive spells and I'm worried hes gonna go mad before I get enough souls. I already beat Seath btw.

Divine/Occult are Faith-scaling magic weapons. However, Occult has a slightly lower overall damage, but better stat scaling.

Magic/Enchanted are Intelligence-scaling magic weapons. Enchanted is like Occult, where it gets better scaling.

Is the damage that scales the divine/occult damage on the bottom of the equip screen or the magic damage ?

shiroryu

Got trolled by the poison shotel guy ixix was talking about in the Depths. Turned human, and got invaded within a minute. How do you defend against that? Damned guy has the cheek to do the shrug gesture twice as I die:p

Am trying to farm the slugs in the Depths bonfire for green titanite so I can get a magic longsword, but have got only one large shard so far in four attempts with 2 humanity. Is this usual?

one85x

Sounds about right. The slimes are horrible for farming shards. Are you using pyromancy to kill them? They're weak to fire, so that will help speed up the process.

shiroryu

Sounds about right. The slimes are horrible for farming shards. Are you using pyromancy to kill them? They're weak to fire, so that will help speed up the process.

Killing them isn't tough - Heavy Soul Arrow is one-shotting them. Was wondering whether I should just postpone it for Blighttown.

Got trolled by the poison shotel guy ixix was talking about in the Depths. Turned human, and got invaded within a minute. How do you defend against that? Damned guy has the cheek to do the shrug gesture twice as I die:p

Am trying to farm the slugs in the Depths bonfire for green titanite so I can get a magic longsword, but have got only one large shard so far in four attempts with 2 humanity. Is this usual?

Hah yup, the slimes are pretty crappy to farm for those. I have a ring that boosts discovery by 200 and 5 humanity and they still rarely drop them. You'll eventually come across a vendor that sells them though. If you really want a magic weapon now though and need those shards, just find a bonfire and go through the depths attacking rats. They drop humanity from time to time, and when they do, just use that humanity to boost your item discovery.

Wool

I just got my 4th slab from New Londo darkwraiths with my 20 hours dex/int pyro. I keep doing invasion so I don't get bored.

I have questions about Avelyn : what would be the best course?

Lightning Avelyn +5 157/0/0/148 + lightning bolts (38/0/0/78)

Fire Avelyn +10 153/0/153/0 + lightning bolts (38/0/0/78)

I believe Lightning Avelyn makes more sense, but I don't know the damage formulas.

Well, if you aren't interested in a magic avelyn, the lightning +5 avelyn would do 389 damage, the fire +10 would do 422 damage.

You can figure out damage and whatnot for everything on the Dark Souls Stat Calculator. I have seen some weird things on there though, either the calculator is wrong or the stat scaling is really messed up some times. I have 50 strength, 8 dexterity, 8 magic, and 40 faith. However, if I made a +10 divine heavy crossbow, it would 566. If I made a +10 magic heavy crossbow, it would do 568.

Also, the great club weighs 12 and the Demon's Great Hammer weighs 22, but the great club does more damage in almost every upgrade path.

one85x

Killing them isn't tough - Heavy Soul Arrow is one-shotting them. Was wondering whether I should just postpone it for Blighttown.
Ya, if you don't really need the magic longsword straight away, then it's better to wait until Blighttown. Green titanite shards drop more commonly from the slugs, and they drop in bundles of 5.

edit: Also be sure to buy the Weapon Smithbox and ascend your weapon to magic before heading down to Blighttown.

Shotel is a badass PvP weapon. Might just be coincidence, but I'm 3-0 vs. invaders since I started using Fire Shotel +5. Can't wait till I pump that bitch to +10.

tokkun

Shotel is a badass PvP weapon. Might just be coincidence, but I'm 3-0 vs. invaders since I started using Fire Shotel +5. Can't wait till I pump that bitch to +10.

It works well against invaders because they are often low-level builds without much HP. It doesn't work so well when you go up against higher level opponents.

Insaniac

No reason to use your shield. If you're wearing armor with halfway decent poise, just 2-hand your weapon and wail on the Shotel user.

shotel+CMW = you're dead :D

as to the occult vs divine question, I read on the wiki that divine is specifically good vs enemies w/o souls ie ghosts, skellies. Occult is good vs enemies w/ souls ie almost everything in the game.

I got invaded whilst in the depths today, got totally owned obviously. Just don't see the point in people killing me. I got my souls back.

Whilst I am in the Depths, is it worth farming slugs for gear for weapons? Ideally i'd like to get all the weapon trophies that I can during my first play through.

Hah yup, the slimes are pretty crappy to farm for those. I have a ring that boosts discovery by 200 and 5 humanity and they still rarely drop them. You'll eventually come across a vendor that sells them though. If you really want a magic weapon now though and need those shards, just find a bonfire and go through the depths attacking rats. They drop humanity from time to time, and when they do, just use that humanity to boost your item discovery.

How does Humanity boost your item discovery?

So close to my plat all I need is "Greatshield of Artorias"

Anyone wanna trade that shield for a Titanite slab or Blue Titanite slab?

Im souls level 89

shiroryu

I turned human twice at the Depths bonfire just to see who invaded - and lost the two that followed. I had a guy down to near death but he used a firebomb/pyromancy that took me to near death, and killed me shortly after that. Magic builds are just no good until I get some of that delicious homing spell action.

Second was more interesting, he was spamming some weird poison breath; that's all he did. What is that?

And I tried using a Cracked Red Eye Orb while human to try invading, but after "searching for worlds to invade" flashes three times, there's no more activity, and I can't use the items( it wasn't used up) anymore. And of course, I then get invaded within 10 seconds :|

Centipede Demon was pretty damn easy. He ran over to me, I got between his legs (sexy) and boom. Sliced him down.

Demon Ruins in general was pretty awesome. Made me realise how powerful I am compared to the start of the game due to the enemies they used.

New Londo Ruins left to go, and then I'm nearly finished :(

Sullichin

What exactly carries over into NG+, guys?

Stats? Items? Weapons?

Will determine how I approach the end game. Cheers.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/New+Game+Plus

Most items and equipment will carry over, along with level and humanity, to the next game-cycle..
Current Covenant Pledge, and level, will carry over.
Kindled Bonfires will retain their level.
Estus upgrade will remain the same.
All sins are absolved.
Some Keys are kept:
The Master Key will not be lost.
The Bottomless Box will not be lost.

I suppose I could've Googled that, GAF is just my Dark Souls wiki these days :p

That's a goood list. I'm going to make sure I have certain things before I start NG+ then. Cheers.

Sullichin

I suppose I could've Googled that, GAF is just my Dark Souls wiki these days :p

That's a goood list. I'm going to make sure I have certain things before I start NG+ then. Cheers.

GAF is my favorite Dark Souls resource. Before NG+ feel free to go around killing every NPC you have for humanity; they'll be back in NG+.

In my NG, I didn't realize that I'd lose the embers for NG+... so upgrade what you can now.

Ugh, whats a good boss to put white summon signs down at SL77? I'm trying to lower the stupid faith requirement for the sunlight covenant but I cant get anybody to summon me. I just beat the demon firesage and have been putting signs right before him.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
I have put 35-40 hours in this game, SL60-ish, rang the two bells, got the astoria ring and the kindling ritual. I think I have been to pretty much every location possible, however I don't know how to proceed. I suppose Anor Londo, however once I take the elevator down and defeat the gargoyle, all I find is a deadly fall. I tried equipping the ring of Astoria and it didn't help.

Could any of you hint me what to do next? Is it a matter of going to a yet undiscovered place before AL? Must I search AL further (all I have found is a yellow light which, I suppose, connects with the demon ruins)?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Ugh, whats a good boss to put white summon signs down at SL77? I'm trying to lower the stupid faith requirement for the sunlight covenant but I cant get anybody to summon me. I just beat the demon firesage and have been putting signs right before him.

People usually pick up phantoms at bonfires instead of outside boss doors anymore. With the frequency of invasions you can't rely on making even a straight run to the boss door without a dark spirit showing up, so having phantoms along for the trip is a good insurance policy. You'll probably get some takers if you move your sign to the bonfire up the stairs from where you're putting it now.

You could also try relocating to the bonfire inside Anor Londo. There are people looking for help there at all sorts of levels pretty much constantly, so it's my go-to place for when I want to get some souls in co-op. The other day I racked up 750,000 souls there just doing co-op over and over around SL 50.

I have put 35-40 hours in this game, SL60-ish, rang the two bells, got the astoria ring and the kindling ritual. I think I have been to pretty much every location possible, however I don't know how to proceed. I suppose Anor Londo, however once I take the elevator down and defeat the gargoyle, all I find is a deadly fall. I tried equipping the ring of Astoria and it didn't help.

Could any of you hint me what to do next? Is it a matter of going to a yet undiscovered place before AL? Must I search AL further (all I have found is a yellow light which, I suppose, connects with the demon ruins)?

When you exit the elevator room go down the stairs and drop down onto the ledge to your left. Then you can run up the buttress to get into the cathedral. It's all pretty obvious from there.

People usually pick up phantoms at bonfires instead of outside boss doors anymore. With the frequency of invasions you can't rely on making even a straight run to the boss door without a dark spirit showing up, so having phantoms along for the trip is a good insurance policy. You'll probably get some takers if you move your sign to the bonfire up the stairs from where you're putting it now.

You could also try relocating to the bonfire inside Anor Londo. There are people looking for help there at all sorts of levels pretty much constantly, so it's my go-to place for when I want to get some souls in co-op. The other day I racked up 750,000 souls there just doing co-op over and over around SL 50.

Ah ok thanks I'll give that a try. I just beat the centipede demon and then started fishing for summons and somebody took it. Guy promptly got squashed within 30 seconds :(

The one thing though is I'm looking more for boss fights then just getting tons of souls. I fear that by leveling up too much will limit the bosses that I'll be able to help out on since it only lets you summon people near your level correct?

2real4tv

Thank you very much, kind sir.

Alot of people miss this. I joined someone elses game and got to the broken window and the host did not see how and got invaded...all I could do is watch. He actually won and it still took him a while to figure out how I got up there...lol.

ixix

Ah ok thanks I'll give that a try. I just beat the centipede demon and then started fishing for summons and somebody took it. Guy promptly got squashed within 30 seconds :(

The one thing though is I'm looking more for boss fights then just getting tons of souls. I fear that by leveling up too much will limit the bosses that I'll be able to help out on since it only lets you summon people near your level correct?

You summoning options are limited by your level, yeah, but there aren't any NG+ restrictions on summoning, so if you overlevel you've still got the possibility of getting summoned by people in NG+. And in my experience the level ranges people are at vary pretty widely, so there's almost always somebody looking for help. Even pre-patch when connectivity was worse and level ranges were narrower I was still getting co-op action in Anor Londo around SL 90 without much trouble.

If you're concerned about gaining too many levels there are always other things to spend the souls on, though. I spent most of my stack of S&O co-op cash on buying out the Pyromancy vendors, upgrading my Pyromancy Flame to the max, and buying Twinkling Titanite. I spent myself right back into the poorhouse while only dropping around 50,000 or so into stats.

Sullichin

What's a good weapon to use for my second character, a sorcerer (preferably something available in the first half of the game)?

SL37
INT 30
STR 13
DEX 11
FAI 8

I was thinking of going with a strength based weapon this time around since I haven't used them much in my first playthrough, but it looks like i'd need a lot of STR for the really good stuff, and I don't want to pump much into STR now but I'd like to have a halfway decent melee weapon... currently using longsword and it's pitiful. DAMN, sorcery is powerful though. I'm not up to Dukes yet so don't have the crystal spells from Big Hat Logan, but even homing soulmass is very powerful. I don't think I was doing that type of damage with pyromancy until I had great chaos fireball + an ascended glove. Plus it has longer range. Sorcery doesn't seem as useful for groups of enemies, though.

Also considering upping my faith later on, and rejoining sunbros for the sunlight spear. I'd still like a nice melee weapon though. I guess I could always go the lightning spear route to get a decent melee for now.

one85x

Claymore at 16/10 and Halberd at 16/12 are probably your best options. You can also 2H the Zweihander at 16str. I believe the go-to weapon for INT builds is the Moonlight Greatsword though, which you'll be getting soon enough.

edit: If you happen to have the Gargoyle Halberd, that's also a powerful low stat req. weapon at 16/12.

ixix

Claymore at 16/10 and Halberd at 16/12 are probably your best options. You can also 2H the Zweihander at 16str. I believe the go-to weapon for INT builds is the Moonlight Greatsword though, which you'll be getting soon enough.

edit: If you happen to have the Gargoyle Halberd, that's also a powerful low stat req. weapon at 16/12.

Worth noting that Moonlight Greatsword also has a 16 Strength requirement. Strength to 16 opens up the usual standby weapons to use until getting your hands on it without sacrificing anything long-term, and opens up better shield options to boot.

Sullichin

Thanks. Halberds were my weapons of choice on my first playthrough (Lightning Scythe and Divine Gargolye Halberd), and while I love their move set, I'd like to try something different. I'll check out the claymore. I'm doing co-op over and over so it will be a while before I get to Seath.

387221_10150380011211910_587326909_8752051_769079077_n.jpg

Thanks GAF, thanks alot. See what you made me go and guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom