• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally beat Ornstein with one other guy. That's definitely the most rewarding boss to beat so far.

Regarding helping people fight bosses as a phantom, are you able to be summoned in an area which you've already beaten the boss? Or only if you haven't beaten the boss yourself yet?

elty

Something weird just happen to me. Before patch 1.05 I tried to kill Pharis, but she flipped down the cliff and I couldn't get the bow. I then join the forest hunter, and the ninja next to Shiva spawned to death. At least I managed to retrieve the darkwood grain ring from the cliff. Absolved my sin and rejoined forest hunter.

Then patch hits, and I visited Shiva. To my surprised his ninja friend is sitll here. I started hitting him but he did not defend, and Shiva wasn't mad at me. Killed Shiva anyways and returned to the forest, and magically the pharis bow is on the ground! It certainly wasn't there before the patch.

Septimius

Finally beat Ornstein with one other guy. That's definitely the most rewarding boss to beat so far.

Regarding helping people fight bosses as a phantom, are you able to be summoned in an area which you've already beaten the boss? Or only if you haven't beaten the boss yourself yet?

You can get summoned to any other world, as long as THEIR area-boss is alive :)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How the hell do I kill the skeletons who walk on all fours?

Their heavy attack takes all of my stamina and one shots me, and due to "lock on" of enemy attacks, they can change their trajectory mid swing and still hit me if I roll to the left or right.

Sullichin

If I couldn't join other peoples games after I beat the boss, I'd be on NG+++++ right now. Co-opping bosses is my favorite part of the game. You can help anyone that's within 10% of your level. For O&S, you'll get bites at any SL range, really.

Ill Saint

Their heavy attack takes all of my stamina and one shots me, and due to "lock on" of enemy attacks, they can change their trajectory mid swing and still hit me if I roll to the left or right.

You could try a leaping two-handed attack, depending on what you're wielding. I just made my way through there again and took out all enemies with one shot using this method (black knight's sword +5). They have a low aggro range which helps. Or you could equip the fog ring and run around them. Spells are great as well.

Tomat

You could try a leaping two-handed attack, depending on what you're wielding. I just made my way through there again and took out all enemies with one shot using this method (black knight's sword +5). They have a low aggro range which helps. Or you could equip the fog ring and run around them. Spells are great as well.
Spells require me to stand still for a second to cast. No fog ring, and it smacked me out of the air mid jump attack out of aggro range.

These things are fucking bullshit.

Sullichin

Spells require me to stand still for a second to cast. No fog ring, and it smacked me out of the air mid jump attack out of aggro range.

Do you have pyromancy? I would inch forward until I can cast, and then try to blast them. They are probably the hardest normal enemies in the game though, I always just run past them when possible.

Yeah, they are kinda bullshit tbh.

I hate how they have a heavy damage attack that drains your whole stamina yet they have a fast recovery after that so you can't punish them.

The best way I found to handle them is to have a heavy frontloaded damage weapon. I beat them by two handing a fully upgraded dragon tooth and one shoting them with the heavy R2 attack.

Had trouble with them also.... Used my eagle shield to block their hits then responded one hit at a time. Try to get more than one hit in and you are toast!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to get back to dark souls!
This is how I feel every time I switch off the PS3!

Such an absorbing game. If I didn't have a life, it would be non-stop soul hunting and co-op/PvP.

I rolled a new 'large' STR/FAI knight character, and having fun heavily jogging around the place putting my mace to faces. The riposte attack for hammer (I think) weapons is truly "ouch".

Having used only a bit of pyro in my first playthrough, I'm looking forward to being liberal with miracles. Force pushing a crowd of enemies off a cliff/into a wall and then wading in is great fun.

Tomat

Finally got through that area with a help of a friend.

8Ff7X.png
using the Greatsword of Artorias. My Faith/INT are too low right now, so the scaling for this weapon doesn't really help yet. Really having a hard time playing this character, considering starting over after I beat the game : /

Not sure if the character is just straight up bad, or if Im just bad with it.

Aselith

8Ff7X.png
using the Greatsword of Artorias. My Faith/INT are too low right now, so the scaling for this weapon doesn't really help yet. Really having a hard time playing this character, considering starting over after I beat the game : /

What the fuck is that?

I finally got my sunlight spear! Sunbros FTW. The bolt does about 960 damage on regular undead burg minions + knockdown, using dark moon crown + firstborn ring. Bosses have been taking 900 plus damage per bolt. Funny to think that re rolling a faith guy at SL105 is deadlier than my dartboard SL160 guy.

Occult uchi +5 / Crest shield +5 (because fuck your magic)

My advice for new magic/miracle chars is to pick 2 primary stats: INT or FAI, STR or DEX, and ignore any stat you don't need, resist the temptation to add points to meet minimums for weapons that wont scale with you. And Dex is probably better due to increased cast rate up to 45.

Or I could be completely wrong..

Septimius

What the fuck is that?

It's one of the dark souls calculators. Google that and you'll reach a page with probably 20 awesome calculators for damage, stats, weapons, classes, soul levels, invader/host levels based on the amount of souls you get.

It's awesome.

My advice for new magic/miracle chars is to pick 2 primary stats: INT or FAI, STR or DEX, and ignore any stat you don't need, resist the temptation to add points to meet minimums for weapons that wont scale with you. And Dex is probably better due to increased cast rate up to 45.

This is probably a great advice for anyone making a character (that isn't aiming for a < SL120 character). 40 INT, 40 END, 40 DEX or STR, 40 INT or FAI - it's waaaay more powerful than a 70 DEX or STR char (remember +30 since you start with ~10 FAI and INT)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Or I could be completely wrong..
Sounds like fair advice. My two main stats are definitely going to be STR and FAI - not gonna touch INT/DEX. Occasionally I'll be boosting VIT and possibly END when I can. I though END increases cast rate, not DEX. Can someone please confirm this either way?

elty

Went to Ruin of Izaith and killed 3 of those flower thing.

First 2 drop a red chunk each, and the third one drop a red slab!

No such luck from the darkwraith in New Londo.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Just got my first random "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant" message since the patch. Guess that covenant still ain't working quite right. I wasn't even in a invade-able area when it happened.

elty

I personally think DEX > STR and INT > FAI. I found that DEX seems to have more weapon choices. Dagger, Thrusting sword, Curved sword, katana, great curved sword, spear, halberd and bow are pretty much DEX exclusive. Even some heavy weapon has a version that scales with DEX like Balder Side Sword, Flamberge and Gargoyle Tail Axe.

DEX also makes casting faster, and DEX weapon weights lower so you can equip better armor. DEX weapons do not have high stat requirement, but STR weapon often needs 30+ STR and 18 DEX to equip. STR build can use those black knight weapons though, which are all very powerful.

INT seems to be more versatile tahn faith. Magic adjust seems to raise faster for catalyst than talisman. Every spells are from vendors instead of joining (and leveling) 4 different covenant. You cannot even cast those miracles without being in the covenant! Finally there doesn't seems to be any good faith weapon equivalent to Moonlight greatsword.

My opinion only.

Scariest enemies in the game for my money. I avoid them at all costs.

Just got my first random "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant" message since the patch. Guess that covenant still ain't working quite right. I wasn't even in a invade-able area when it happened.

Yeah I really hope there's another patch to fix that cov proper; it's a really cool concept.

Ill Saint

Speaking of scary enemies, I wish there were more of those demonic cats in Darkroot Garden, or they respawned. Such an awesome enemy, and way underused. Scared the wits out of me when I first encountered them.

shiroryu

The interesting part of Gravelord is that it can affect players who are Hollow, so the Gravelord is the only way to "invade" hollow players, more or less forcing them to come attack you.

tokkun

I have gotten 10+ of those and have never been able to find the summon sign. I have also never gotten the "Gravelord was defeated" message.

I kind of wonder if the first message might appear as part of a bug, like how you get the "Rite of Kindling" message when you invade someone and they challenge the boss before you spawn. I often get the Gravelord message when returning from an invasion, so I don't know if it's a bug or if it's possible to be cursed while in another world.

Wool

I always got them to do that attack where they charge forward and then writhe around. If you sidestep that attack you can get behind them and swing away, as they stand still for a little bit.

Dresden

8Ff7X.png

The Greatsword of Artorias is garbage and your stats are too spread out. That's about it.

Making a lightning weapon will go a long way towards making your dark souls life easier.

mxgt

Banned
Finally ventured back into console gaming today and picked this up along with a new 360.

This game is awesome so far, I fucking love the combat and how every death I've had so far was my fault.

Tomat

The Greatsword of Artorias is garbage and your stats are too spread out. That's about it.

Making a lightning weapon will go a long way towards making your dark souls life easier.
I made a new character, but I'm staying away from the lightning weapon easy mode.

Also, are there any boss weapons in this game that aren't garbage?

Dresden

I made a new character, but I'm staying away from the lightning weapon easy mode.

Oh, you made a new character? Then you can go str, dex, int, faith, anything other than the jack of trades you were going for.

As for non-garbage boss weapons, dunno. Maybe the moonlight greatsword.

Tomat

Oh, you made a new character? Then you can go str, dex, int, faith, anything other than the jack of trades you were going for.

As for non-garbage boss weapons, dunno. Maybe the moonlight greatsword.

Yeah, going DEX/FAI or DEX/Something else on this one. Grabbing the Iaito, so minimum stats for that. Possible DEX/FAI + Divine Iaito + Miracles. Not really sure what stat I want to accompany DEX. STR wouldn't get me anything with an Iaito, so it's pretty much more Dex, INT, or FAI.

tokkun

Yeah, Greatlord Greatsword is pretty good if you have a STR/DEX build - obviously not a very common build, but I have one. Damage is not quite up to the BK Gaxe but it has better stunlock.

The Fury Sword was a great weapon for DEX characters before the patch. I know it got nerfed a little, so I'm not sure whether it is still good.

And the True Greatsword of Artorias is possibly the best weapon for level glitchers, lol.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Female Undead Merchant is aggro (gee I wonder why I hit her, could it have been she looks like a fucking enemy?). I guess I'm boned, right?

ixix

I have gotten 10+ of those and have never been able to find the summon sign. I have also never gotten the "Gravelord was defeated" message.

I kind of wonder if the first message might appear as part of a bug, like how you get the "Rite of Kindling" message when you invade someone and they challenge the boss before you spawn. I often get the Gravelord message when returning from an invasion, so I don't know if it's a bug or if it's possible to be cursed while in another world.

I've gotten the notification that I was being cursed before, but absolutely nothing changed. There weren't any new enemies and I looked around for the Gravelord's sign but never found anything. An actual Gravelord invasion is one of the only things in the game I've never experienced at this point, so I'd be pretty jazzed if I could get it to actually happen.

The interesting part of Gravelord is that it can affect players who are Hollow, so the Gravelord is the only way to "invade" hollow players, more or less forcing them to come attack you.

This is good to know. I wonder if I can just chill somewhere in Hollow form and leave the game running in hopes of getting Gravelorded. I'd be able to wait for ages doing nothing without a regular invasion drawing my attention. Apparently it can work, because this dude managed to get a Gravelord invasion to happen, and he's hollow when he goes through the sign.

I might try that at some point.

shiroryu

I've gotten the notification that I was being cursed before, but absolutely nothing changed. There weren't any new enemies and I looked around for the Gravelord's sign but never found anything. An actual Gravelord invasion is one of the only things in the game I've never experienced at this point, so I'd be pretty jazzed if I could get it to actually happen.

This is good to know. I wonder if I can just chill somewhere in Hollow form and leave the game running in hopes of getting Gravelorded. I'd be able to wait for ages doing nothing without a regular invasion drawing my attention. Apparently it can work, because this dude managed to get a Gravelord invasion to happen, and he's hollow when he goes through the sign.

I might try that at some point.

The problem is that the Gravelord sign will disappear if the Gravelorder signs off, quits etc. So you need a Gravelorder to be playing that long, for the players invaded to realize they have been 'cursed', for them to find the sign - there's too many links in that chain to make it a frequent occurrence. I didn't get a Gravelord invasion message, only the 'defeated' one, so yeah there are issues.

one85x

I've read that the gravelord enemies don't just automatically appear in your world, you have to spawn them by using a bonfire or leaving and re-entering the area.

ixix

The problem is that the Gravelord sign will disappear if the Gravelorder signs off, quits etc. So you need a Gravelorder to be playing that long, for the players invaded to realize they have been 'cursed', for them to find the sign - there's too many links in that chain to make it a frequent occurrence. I didn't get a Gravelord invasion message, only the 'defeated' one, so yeah there are issues.

I've read that the gravelord enemies don't just automatically appear in your world, you have to spawn them by using a bonfire or leaving and re-entering the area.

Good gravy. That covenant is pure drama. From what I've read the Gravelord also acts as if he used the Dried Finger while he's cursing, and gets constant Darkwraith and Darkmoon invasions that have nothing to do with the people they're cursing. It seems like one of those is a lot more likely to take out the Gravelord than somebody who actually has to hunt down the Gravelord's sign before they can invade.

Personally I think it'd be neat if the Gravelord was immune to other invasions while cursing, but as soon as one person finds and tags the Gravelord's sign all three of the cursed players invade the Gravelord's world simultaneously. It'd be an inversion of the usual host-outnumbers-invaders paradigm.

Edit: Now that I think about it, doesn't the bonfire requirement make some areas immune to Gravelord invasions entirely? New Londo doesn't have a bonfire, after all.

Edit again: I just got the "Disasters are gone" message again while waiting for someone to tag my summon sign in Anor Londo. The boss is long dead. This covenant is absolutely maddening.

one85x

It's not necessarily a bonfire requirement. The enemies just have to be spawned somehow. Transferring between zones causes enemies to respawn. Also, it doesn't matter if your boss is dead. You're invading their world, so it's their boss that needs to still be alive.

ixix

So you get cursed, and then you carry the curse with you between zones? That's wonderfully devious.

So then if I get the message that the servant has been defeated, does that mean that, theoretically, if I had rested at a bonfire and gone out and fought enemies before that message appeared there would have been the Gravelord-spawned enemies? I might start resting at a bonfire then doing a circuit of Anor Londo after throwing down my summoning sign if that's the case.

Moonlight Greatsword is probably the best boss weapon. Chaos Blade would be badass if it didn't have that "HP loss on hits" bullshit. At least it looks awesome.

2AdEPT

Yeah, I would record these. Gotta share the love!

I clocked in around 80 hours, with Soul Level of around 81 or so. I managed to get in a few or all of the optional areas; revisit the asylum, painted world, Valley of Drakes, and Gwyndolin. Never fought the tutorial boss again though.

Hopefully without pyromancy. Primarily melee is the heart and soul of those kinds of challenge runs for me :) I just hope there aren't required falls that a SL 1 would die from, for example, such as into the pinwheel chamber, for example. But even if so, there may be work stooges.

Part of me feels they tailored the game somewhat for low level runs. The one ring that boosts your equip burden, stamina, etc, but breaks if ever removed seems only really useful for a SL 1 type playthrough, where you would just dedicate a ring slot for that one for the whole game.... Even the Darksign feels geared specifically for speedruns.

Don't listen to them....4 kings is designed for sl 1 runs also. The cheat sheet is
two hand the lightning spear with grass shield on bback, use green moss, and mash r1. wear magic resist. done like dinner...no havels set, no iron flesh.....granted when I did it I was at least level 50...but did not wear much armour and used only 3 estus....one after each king...but one king didn't even touch me in close so saved an estus.

one85x

So you get cursed, and then you carry the curse with you between zones? That's wonderfully devious.

So then if I get the message that the servant has been defeated, does that mean that, theoretically, if I had rested at a bonfire and gone out and fought enemies before that message appeared there would have been the Gravelord-spawned enemies? I might start resting at a bonfire then doing a circuit of Anor Londo after throwing down my summoning sign if that's the case.
Yep. I've heard that the Gravelord signs appear where invaders usually spawn in. Easy to find in Anor Londo, near impossible to stumble upon in a place like Sen's Fortress.

shiroryu

Yup, the curse stays with the cursed player till the servant dies or logs out. And the wiki chatter says the spawned 'disasters' are quite strong, kind of like the BP versions of normal enemies in Demons' Souls.

Edit: A guy on the preparetodie forums says that if the Servant leaves an area, the sign migrates with him, and infected players in the old area are released, and players in the new area infected. That may be why invasions seem to be short-lived; the Servant is moving from one area to another.

Which is counterbalanced, thankfully, by the increased invasions.

It's very interesting in theory - you hide the sign in a remote area, and as your targets blunder around in their worlds and hopefully die, you're farming souls with no issues (the farming effect is not fully confirmed I think)...as long as you are strong enough to repel invasions. But you can heal, which leaves the invaders at a disadvantage. Cool design, lots of checks and balances, but the implementation seems to be wonky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom