• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of PvP

After playing a week straight, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm trying to wrap my head around the backstab mechanic. Sometimes it looks like I have a clear backstab opportunity only to get backstabbed myself.... wut? How does the rolling backstab work? And parries. Everyone I've managed to pull off was hella delayed. Still sticking with it just trying to understand some stuff.

Also, modders. Yeah... but wat can ya do? *shrugs*

Sullichin

Doing a dex run, have a target shield and I parry everyone and everything, but online I can't seem to get it no matter how hard I try.

Speaking of PvP

After playing a week straight, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm trying to wrap my head around the backstab mechanic. Sometimes it looks like I have a clear backstab opportunity only to get backstabbed myself.... wut? How does the rolling backstab work? And parries. Everyone I've managed to pull off was hella delayed. Still sticking with it just trying to understand some stuff.

Also, modders. Yeah... but wat can ya do? *shrugs*

Parrying timing is different in PVP. You want to parry right when an enemy's attack animation begins, rather than when it is about to hit your shield. Lag is of course a factor. Some very fast weapons will require you to block the first hit(s) and then parry if they are spamming attacks.

ive only been playing for a few weeks - i thought you had to be human to play with other players?
As a hollow, you can still lay down your white soapstone and get summoned into someone's world to fight a boss.

Parrying timing is different in PVP. You want to parry right when an enemy's attack animation begins, rather than when it is about to hit your shield. Lag is of course a factor. Some very fast weapons will require you to block the first hit(s) and then parry if they are spamming attacks.

Had a feeling that's what I had to do. Tried it last night but with no success. Need practice.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think my time with Dark Souls is at an end. I wanted to do a playthrough with the DLC since I didn't have it before, but I'm just getting tired of my time being wasted. My first playthrough, I beat Knight Lautrec with a pretty high level character and even then it took me quite a while. This time, at level 45, I just cant do it. And I'm not going to waste anymore of my life trying to and being constantly frustrated instead. I'm not even close to beating him and I cant do anything but get fucked by his buddies in the meantime.

Arjen

I think my time with Dark Souls is at an end. I wanted to do a playthrough with the DLC since I didn't have it before, but I'm just getting tired of my time being wasted. My first playthrough, I beat Knight Lautrec with a pretty high level character and even then it took me quite a while. This time, at level 45, I just cant do it. And I'm not going to waste anymore of my life trying to and being constantly frustrated instead. I'm not even close to beating him and I cant do anything but get fucked by his buddies in the meantime.

Poison arrows are your friend

Lead them up the stairs to get them in single file. You can use plunging attacks at the bottom too. Lautrec is pretty easy to parry if you get him on his own (separating them or killing his buddies first).

Special C

Lead them up the stairs to get them in single file. You can use plunging attacks at the bottom too. Lautrec is pretty easy to parry if you get him on his own (separating them or killing his buddies first).

Always thought it best to kill him
before he ganks the Firekeeper unless you need Armor of Favor.

Seanspeed

Banned
Poison arrows are your friend
I was trying to do a melee-only run, but I probably will end up doing this just to get it done. Was trying not to summon anyone, but had to get some Solaire help for O&S, too. Oh well.

Don't give up! Maybe just skip Lautrec for now and come back later.
My plan is to go New Londo next, where it'd be mighty nice to have that Firelink bonfire.

Yea, I'm not giving up. I just needed to stop and take a break. I've 'quit' Dark Souls like a dozen times now. lol

I tried this many times. It was definitely the closest I got to killing him, but still not nearly close enough.

I like the estus flask boost for the run through Anor Londo.

Ourobolus

Banned
Quick question: I haven't played DS since right before the Artorias DLC came out - when is the best time, gameplay-wise, to jump into the DLC? During the first game, at some point? NG+? Should I start a new character, or will my NG++ character be good to go?

Quick question: I haven't played DS since right before the Artorias DLC came out - when is the best time, gameplay-wise, to jump into the DLC? During the first game, at some point? NG+? Should I start a new character, or will my NG++ character be good to go?

Ideally you wanna be SL 60-70+ because the enemies and the bosses hit hard and take a fair bit of damage to go down. So anytime you are in that range is a good time to go.

And FWIW, all the bonfires in the DLC are warp ready, so you can always go and come back if you feel like you are underpowered.

Dingy set is the real worthwhile loot from his questline. I don't use the FAP ring, so I've never killed him early.

I would start a new game. The DLC bosses offers a significant challenge, so meeting them first time in NG++ might be more than you bargained for.

You have to have obtained the Lord Vessel before you can enter the DLC, and that kind of gives you a guide to what SL you want to be at, ebullientprism is on the money with SL60-70.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was just about to enter the DLC stuff at level 47. That's probably too low?

Also, I haven't upgraded vitality at all. Do the enemies really hit that hard? I don't mind being one-shotted by bosses and some of the more difficult enemies, but if everything can kill me in one hit, I might have to work on that a bit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was just about to enter the DLC stuff at level 47. That's probably too low?

Also, I haven't upgraded vitality at all.
It's not too low but you'll need a strong weapon.

And.... upgrade vitality ASAP. Why wouldn't you, unless you're doing some sort of challenge run? I think the reason you get so frustrated is because of how easily you die.

Do the enemies really hit that hard? I don't mind being one-shotted by bosses and some of the more difficult enemies, but if everything can kill me in one hit, I might have to work on that a bit.
They can hit pretty hard.

Altazor

So yeah, last week I beat Seath on my second try, blah blah.

Then I got killed twice in a row by a fucking channeler at the start of the Duke's Archives, so I lost a lot of souls. ARGH.

Anyway, it was my fault, as always. I turned my back on the enemies (running to the bonfire) and got fucked by a couple of arrows from those annoying crystal archers and then a channeler threw that spell and hit me square on my back. Ugh. That was the FIRST time. Then I tried to reach my bloodstain (which was in a very uncomfortable place just within reach of the archers and the channeler) and got killed AGAIN.

And the most pathetic part of all is that I NEVER GOT KILLED BY THOSE GUYS BEFORE DISPATCHING SEATH. I managed to clear the Archives without dying
except for that mandatory death, of course
only to be killed twice in a row by these lowly fucks.

Oh man, this game. Love it - not despite those things, because of those things.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ideally you wanna be SL 60-70+ because the enemies and the bosses hit hard and take a fair bit of damage to go down. So anytime you are in that range is a good time to go.

And FWIW, all the bonfires in the DLC are warp ready, so you can always go and come back if you feel like you are underpowered.

Dingy set is the real worthwhile loot from his questline. I don't use the FAP ring, so I've never killed him early.

I would start a new game. The DLC bosses offers a significant challenge, so meeting them first time in NG++ might be more than you bargained for.

You have to have obtained the Lord Vessel before you can enter the DLC, and that kind of gives you a guide to what SL you want to be at, ebullientprism is on the money with SL60-70.

Got it. Thanks guys.

Altazor

Awesome as always, but why the fuck does he ruin the entire thing with crappy music every time? s(・`ヘ´・;)ゞ
Isn't he satisfied with the game's ambient sound?

on a related note, I'm completely in love with the sound in this game. As in "the absence of background music" - it enhances the dangerous, mysterious and lonely vibe of the game. And the fact that the boss's themes are epic-as-fuck orchestral themes is the icing on the cake ;)

Altazor

sorry for double posting.

FUCK YES, TAKE THAT FOUR KINGS. Beat them on my 3rd try. I was ALMOST able to take them down on my *first* try but I got careless and got killed when the last one was two or three hits from death.

On my second try I failed miserably and barely killed one of them.

Then on my third try it was GAME ON. A mix of rolling and tanking (20 Estus+4 flasks certainly help), I managed to use my last green blossom before I defeated the last two. It was tough, but by the end I just tanked and 2 handed those dudes and they were gone.

Then I had to recover my shit, but my bloodstain was really far away. So I went.

And then I couldn't see the (already lit) bonfire. I tried not to panic, and I just started to run in a straight line... and in a couple of seconds, there it was - a distant speck in an endless sea of darkness. A huge sigh of relief and the sweet taste of VICTOLY.

Soulhouf

on a related note, I'm completely in love with the sound in this game. As in "the absence of background music" - it enhances the dangerous, mysterious and lonely vibe of the game. And the fact that the boss's themes are epic-as-fuck orchestral themes is the icing on the cake ;)

I agree. The sound is implemented so masterfully.
A good example is the higher part of Blighttown. You constantly hear the noise made by these creepy infested ghouls:
aFMJzKr.jpg

But you don't know where they are. You're constantly expecting them to jump at you from a dark corner.
It creates a very and unique oppression.

It's actually the case in Demon's Souls (Tower of Latria with the octopus heads and prisoners crying) and especially in Shadow Tower where every enemy in the game has its own sound and you learn how to identify them by the sound alone.

I have a very high respect of Yami Tamashi, but I'm starting to feel offended by the music he puts in his PvP videos. He's a super player who doesn't give a shit about the care put by From Soft regarding the sound in Dark Souls. That's the impression I get from watching his videos.

Booshka

After a couple thousand hours of playing you kind of get over the awesome sound design and are playing for the mechanics and competition. It's also typical of any sort of montage, or edited footage to put music in with the video. I don't like his music either, but I think you are taking it way too far saying that he is disrespecting From's work because he edited music into montages for Youtube.

Yeah, pretty sure any experienced PvPer has a few hundred hours of playtime, so there's no need for them to keep on using the in-game sound. They've heard it literally hundreds of times already. He's also fighting other players, so it would just be a bunch of WHOOSH and CLANG and such.

And some of the sound design is actually annoying, because it's exceedingly difficult to tell where the enemies actually are. The drakes stomp all over the place like they're perpetually right behind you, but they're actually 50 feet away.

Only one aspect of the sound design left something to be desired for me: walking through grass. You're walking in grass that comes up to your ankles but the sound effect makes it sound like you're trudging through a shoulder-high thicket with a machete.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Completed the game last week, but was showing it to my Nephew today. He started out, very impressive, got to the Undead Burg and inevitably, got invaded. We was probably a level 5 or so. Not sure but we had only been playing for about 30 minutes.

Anyway, I thought I'd let him try and give this invader a try, and as I thought, it went poorly (as is to be expected). He hit him a good few times but the damage we were doing was almost nothing. He had some really great gear (Havel's Armour and a big ass club).

Anyway, we were hit a few times and the fight was almost at an end, as we cowered behind our shield, he backed off, and run away. He walked back a few seconds later and bowed and we returned the gesture. He then started to leave items for us to pick up, (5) Souls of a brave warrior, (3) gold pine resins, two blades, barbed straight sword and another one (I cannot remember the name), but did 130+ damage and 300 bleed damage.

After a few more gestures he threw himself off the platform to his doom. The whole event warmed the heart though.

I know with the invading you've got to be within 10 levels of the player you've invaded, or something like that. I don't know how he had all that good gear, but regardless, I was stunned.

I've been playing Dark Souls on and off for a while now, and while this has never happened before, the community has always came off as mature and honorable, even when trying to slaughter you.

Props to you, dark spirit. Whoever you are.

Completed the game last week, but was showing it to my Nephew today. He started out, very impressive, got to the Undead Burg and inevitably, got invaded. We was probably a level 5 or so. Not sure but we had only been playing for about 30 minutes.

Anyway, I thought I'd let him try and give this invader a try, and as I thought, it went poorly (as is to be expected). He hit him a good few times but the damage we were doing was almost nothing. He had some really great gear (Havel's Armour and a big ass club).

Anyway, we were hit a few times and the fight was almost at an end, as we cowered behind our shield, he backed off, and run away. He walked back a few seconds later and bowed and we returned the gesture. He then started to leave items for us to pick up, (5) Souls of a brave warrior, (3) gold pine resins, two blades, barbed straight sword and another one (I cannot remember the name), but did 130+ damage and 300 bleed damage.

After a few more gestures he threw himself off the platform to his doom. The whole event warmed the heart though.

I know with the invading you've got to be within 10 levels of the player you've invaded, or something like that. I don't know how he had all that good gear, but regardless, I was stunned.

I've been playing Dark Souls on and off for a while now, and while this has never happened before, the community has always came off as mature and honorable, even when trying to slaughter you.

Props to you, dark spirit. Whoever you are.

You don't have to level up to beat the game, only to use certain weapons effectively. So you can create a pretty impressive character at any level. Some do it to help new players, and some people do it because they're dumb griefers and somehow enjoy one-shotting players wandering around the Undead Parish.

valouris

I want to summon somebody (anybody) in the 2nd bonfire in
Tomb of Giants
to help me kill the boss, but I can't see any summon signs, no matter how long I wait. What gives?

(while I was waiting I killed my first invader though, hooray)

Divius

I want to summon somebody (anybody) in the 2nd bonfire in
Tomb of Giants
to help me kill the boss, but I can't see any summon signs, no matter how long I wait. What gives?

(while I was waiting I killed my first invader though, hooray)
Not a popular location (I mean, who doesn't hate TotG?) and of course it also depends on your soul level. Maybe try the first bonfire, it's a bit of a longer walk to the bossbattle, but people can warp there so I think it's more likely to find summon signs there.

edit: if you are on PC I might be able to help.

valouris

Not a popular location (I mean, who doesn't hate TotG?) and of course it also depends on your soul level. Maybe try the first bonfire, it's a bit of a longer walk to the bossbattle, but people can warp there so I think it's more likely to find summon signs there.

edit: if you are on PC I might be able to help.

I am on PC :)

If you have time and you feel like it I would really appreciate the help :)

Altazor

So today I started the "additional content". After a tense battle against the Sanctuary Guardian (and a couple of tries), I destroyed him and ventured further the ancient lands.

Then, the Royal Woods. Somehow those Stone Guardians fucked me up time and time and time again - until I bettered my dodgerolls a bit. At least, enough for me to avoid getting hit by their huge hammers. Sadly, my lightning halberd was near useless against their stony masses, so I used a couple of different weapons on my different tries and ended up using the Furysword not because of its damage but for its speed.

In any case, after running and killing those scarecrows (and that surprise appearance by that black dragon), I activated the elevator shortcut and entered the arena.

So, "Prepare to Die" edition, huh? Well, I died. Time and time and time and time again.

I changed strategies a bit - tried rolling and dodging and while it was hard for me, I thought I was getting the hand of it. I managed to get Artorias' health to a quarter (or even less!) but time and time again, a misstep and he pounced me. Or pierced me. Or slashed me.

So, after numerous tries (I literally lost count) I just thought "fuck it" and decided to pseudo-tank it. So I just used my Silver Knight Shield +5 and a Black Knight Greatsword and dodged only a few times... and the rest, well, was patience. My shield absorbing the blows, the cloranthy ring equipped so my stamina regen was fast enough for me to withstand Artorias' attacks, I had to be patient - wait for a small opening for me to seize and attack. Considering the Greatsword is kinda slow, I didn't have the luxury of a hit-and-run strategy.

The good thing was, I was able to stop him while he was doing that purple powerup aura and deal some good damage then. Tense battle, I was punished for my recklessness a couple of times but not enough for me to die. And then, I finally beat him.

Huge sigh of relief. Onto Oolacile Township I go.

Altazor

Good luck, the hardest bosses are yet to come.

welp... at least I survived Tomb of the Giants. Fuck that place, anyway - my least favorite part of the game so far. So even if I constantly die during the DLC and its, I'll always be able to say "hey, at least I completed TotG" :p

Really wish the PvP arena worked in this game. More often than not I run into griefers in parties of 3 or, players just going through the level. Also players who flask or pop humanity during a duel. Why? -_-

Also, how is the PvP in the PC version? Are the connections better?

Booshka

Really wish the PvP arena worked in this game. More often than not I run into griefers in parties of 3 or, players just going through the level. Also players who flask or pop humanity during a duel. Why? -_-

Also, how is the PvP in the PC version? Are the connections better?

If you are looking for fair duels and fight clubs, go to a Twitch stream on your platform of choice and put your red sign down where they are PvP'ing. Interact with the chat and let them know you are there to duel.

The main point of invading is to disrupt players as they make their way to the boss, with or without phantoms. The 2 or 3 man ganking, constant healing when you thought it was a duel and etc is just a negative byproduct of the PvP design of the game.

If you are looking for fair duels and fight clubs, go to a Twitch stream on your platform of choice and put your red sign down where they are PvP'ing. Interact with the chat and let them know you are there to duel.
That sounds like a great idea.

The main point of invading is to disrupt players as they make their way to the boss, with or without phantoms. The 2 or 3 man ganking, constant healing when you thought it was a duel and etc is just a negative byproduct of the PvP design of the game.
Oh I know. >:3

Was never really into invading but will be in Dark Souls 2. Kinda late to be doing that in Dark Souls now IMO, so I just wanna have some good duels.

Soulhouf

I'm interested in this. Can you explain what do you mean by that?

Booshka

I'm interested in this. Can you explain what do you mean by that?

Go to http://twitch.tv and look for a Dark Souls stream that is playing whatever version of the game you are, PS3 in your case. There is usually a fight club or Dueling stream on at all times, on nearly all platforms. So, the best way to get some quality fair fights with good competition is to hop in a Twitch stream and interact with the chat and broadcaster.

Soulhouf

Go to http://twitch.tv and look for a Dark Souls stream that is playing whatever version of the game you are, PS3 in your case. There is usually a fight club or Dueling stream on at all times, on nearly all platforms. So, the best way to get some quality fair fights with good competition is to hop in a Twitch stream and interact with the chat and broadcaster.

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with this twitch thing.
Are all the videos running right now live?

Edit: also how do you filter by platform?

Booshka

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with this twitch thing.
Are all the videos running right now live?

Edit: also how do you filter by platform?
I dont think you can filter by platform, most Streams have the platform and what they are doing in the title. There will be a red dot and LIVE in the top right corner if the stream is live, otherwise it's an archive or highlight from a past broadcast. If you are looking at the main page after searching for Dark Souls, all those channels should be Live.

Amazed that you haven't heard about Twitch, it's amazing. Livestreaming video games for your viewing pleasure.

The best Dark Souls Speedrunners are on Twitch as well, Noobest, and Santzo84 are their broadcaster names.

Trying the twitch thing right now. Didn't get summoned right away. Other people kept picking me up. Fun though didn't run into any gankers. Those fair duels! >:3

Soulhouf

I dont think you can filter by platform, most Streams have the platform and what they are doing in the title. There will be a red dot and LIVE in the top right corner if the stream is live, otherwise it's an archive or highlight from a past broadcast. If you are looking at the main page after searching for Dark Souls, all those channels should be Live.

Amazed that you haven't heard about Twitch, it's amazing. Livestreaming video games for your viewing pleasure.

The best Dark Souls Speedrunners are on Twitch as well, Noobest, and Santzo84 are their broadcaster names.

I guess I spend more time playing than watching others play. But since I'm grinding to build demons in Shin Megami Tensei IV right now, I can do it while watching other players do stuff on Dark Souls.

Thanks for for explaining it to me. I will try to follow this more closely.

Pulled off my first successful roll BS. Yay! Also managed to do a lot of parries too. The delay still throws me off though. Sometimes I'm almost behind them before I realize I've pulled one off. Good thing the animation lasts long enough to adjust.

cj_iwakura

Potentially stupid question: who can make my dagger +10? I have all the souls to finish my All Weapons trophy, but I need the base gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom