• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

I've been farming for the Channeler's Trident for the past 45 minutes with no luck. Starting to think I don't really care that much now.

We've all been there. I got a CT at random, but the Silver Knight stuff took me an hour.

If it gets too much, I can give it to you, but my character's 157.

neoemonk

We've all been there. I got a CT at random, but the Silver Knight stuff took me an hour.

If it gets too much, I can give it to you, but my character's 157.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm on PC for Dark Souls. I believe you are PS3.

I'll do a few runs every time I play until it drops. It's not the last weapon I need or anything. I'm just trying to get everything I can before NG+.

cj_iwakura

Thanks for the offer, but I'm on PC for Dark Souls. I believe you are PS3.

I'll do a few runs every time I play until it drops. It's not the last weapon I need or anything. I'm just trying to get everything I can before NG+.

Make sure you have the Serpent's Ring and at least three soft humanity(the number in the upper left). It helps.

2AdEPT

If people hate grinding I would be shocked if a player only used 3 humanity...the full ten is mandatory. If you are not at item discovery 410 I have no idea how to help you. especially on the channelers as they dont drop anything else but the trident....working over the balder knights and darkwraiths over and over matters less as they will drop something most of the time regardless....the item discovery wont help you get rare drops, just a drop. grinding is horrid and as such I have never platinum-ed anything...rare weapons are fun to acquire because they are rare...so I do grind for them though...the trident isn't the best stat wise but has one of the coolest animations for a weapon out there....I say its worth it for that.

neoemonk

410 item discovery - ten humanity and the Covetous Serpent Ring. Stupid thing just doesn't drop.

I'll go after it a little more today at some point probably.

SuperSah

Banned
Guys, I see this costs £15 on the Shop of Too and I really want to pick it up.

I had it before and sold it before even getting a few hours in, I was really naive.

I'm up for the challenge, should I go for it?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So pretty much Logan's catalyst is the best catalyst so far (without counting the crystal catalist), even better than Magnus catalyst?

Logan's is the best general purpose catalyst provided you've got 41 or higher Int. The Manus Catalyst isn't really a standard catalyst, it's more like a Tin Crystallization Catalyst oriented toward dark sorcery. It halves your total number of castings like the TCC, but it also scales your dark sorcery up with your Strength stat. A high Strength and Int character using the Manus Catalyst does the highest damage possible with dark sorceries, but for regular sorceries the Tin Crystallization Catalyst is superior across the board at all levels of Intelligence.

Seanspeed

Banned
Guys, I see this costs £15 on the Shop of Too and I really want to pick it up.

I had it before and sold it before even getting a few hours in, I was really naive.

I'm up for the challenge, should I go for it?
Its one of the most innovative and amazing games this generation and still has people talking about it constantly years after release, but no, you probably shouldn't bother. ;)

Just beat this for the first time last night.
(Well, killed Gwyn, anyway.)
I'm kind of disappointed that
the ending was so brief
but I'm glad to have played this. Don't know if I'll ever have the free time to do PvP and crazy challenge run stuff before GFWL goes down, but I guess that's what DS2 will be for.

To the person who told me to finish the Artorias DLC before going past the gate in Darkroot: You are an asshole. I can only hope that Sif and Artorias are together now.

Altazor

I decided to do something a bit different and went to Demon Ruins before continuing with the last part of the DLC.

Everything went pretty sweet until Demon Firesage. I dunno what happened there, but the dude killed me plenty of times - in some occasions, with 2 hits (that overhead jumping smash followed by his AoE = YOU DIED). After many, many tries I just stopped playing for a couple of hours considering I was getting nowhere (and it was time for a TV show that I always watch and that I don't want to miss).

Anyway, after the show I decided to try again and, LO AND BEHOLD - I killed that mofo on my first try. Felt good.

Then Centipede Demon... managed to defeat it on my third try (first one was just testing, second one managed to lower its health quite a bit before being stomped to death and then the third one was sweet victory for me).

Onto Lost Izalith and its dinosaur asses. Sniped them, ran past them, bonfire. Killed the Chaos Witch before the boss gate. Want to explore a bit more before I fight the boss, though... but I won't do that today. Off to sleep now!

410 item discovery - ten humanity and the Covetous Serpent Ring. Stupid thing just doesn't drop.

I'll go after it a little more today at some point probably.

This one took me a while as well. Drop rate is kinda low and with the chance of me dying just trying to get to him.

RzbWh2L.jpg

I'm officially a Onebro! Gwyn had me on the edge, man. I had a little luck on my side.

Kieli

Can anyone recommend some good Let's Plays or run-throughs? Preferably of a person new to the game. I don't like watching people who have already played through it; it's fun watching their reactions at the many surprises.

I wouldn't mind watching some good videos of PvP action a la Yami Tamashi, as well. :)

http://i.imgur.com/RzbWh2L.jpg
I'm officially a Onebro! Gwyn had me on the edge, man. I had a little luck on my side.
Congrats. Is that including the DLC area too? Fellow Onebro here, but only before the DLC was available, I was too chicken to face Manus @ SL1.

Onto Lost Izalith and its dinosaur asses. Sniped them, ran past them, bonfire. Killed the Chaos Witch before the boss gate. Want to explore a bit more before I fight the boss, though... but I won't do that today. Off to sleep now!
Have you been keeping up with the Seigmeyer side quest? (Onion armour guy) If so, Lost Izalith is definately somewhere you want to explore.

It's also worth maybe reading a FAQ about this particular event if you want to go all the way to Seigmeyer's conclusion because there is a condition you have to meet during the event. It's not particularly difficult on first playthrough, but can be on NG+ onwards, or if you just don't know about it.

valouris

I'm afraid I still don't know 100% what the hell is going on with this game (and I kinda like it!)

I met the cat-thing in the forest and joined its covenant. I wore the ring, and soon I was called and invaded another world. I was blue. Soon, another player invaded the same world, he was blue too. We found a guy looking like Solaire hanging around the cat's place (regular looking,no color red/blue), he started attacking us. We attacked back. I died, and I think immediately after the Solaire guy got killed. Then, I got 800k souls(wtffffff) and I got a message that I got indicted. What the fuck just happened? What does indicted mean?

Also, what should I do with ma moneyz?

neoemonk

I'm afraid I still don't know 100% what the hell is going on with this game (and I kinda like it!)

I met the cat-thing in the forest and joined its covenant. I wore the ring, and soon I was called and invaded another world. I was blue. Soon, another player invaded the same world, he was blue too. We found a guy looking like Solaire hanging around the cat's place (regular looking,no color red/blue), he started attacking us. We attacked back. I died, and I think immediately after the Solaire guy got killed. Then, I got 800k souls(wtffffff) and I got a message that I got indicted. What the fuck just happened? What does indicted mean?

Also, what should I do with ma moneyz?

The covenant system is confusing and I never really figured it out. After I finished the game once I went online and read a bunch of stuff. Also...

YOU FILTHY SINNER

valouris

PC

Problem is, I didn't kill him. He killed me, it is possible that the other player that invaded with me killed him though, but that was after I died I think.

Also, why did I get indicted?

Soulhouf

PC

Problem is, I didn't kill him. He killed me, it is possible that the other player that invaded with me killed him though, but that was after I died I think.

Also, why did I get indicted?

It's very likely that the other player killed him or simply he fell to his death. When you die in co-op/PvP, you have like 6-7 sec before your death is counted up. Everything that happens during that small amount of time still count.

You got indicted by the host who died because he didn't appreciate being killed. Now you are in a wanted list and will be hunted by the Blades of the Darkmoon.

neoemonk

It's very likely that the other player killed him or simply he fell to his death. When you die in co-op/PvP, you have like 6-7 sec before your death is counted up. Everything that happens during that small amount of time still count.

You got indicted by the host who died because he didn't appreciate being killed. Now you are in a wanted list and will be hunted by the Blades of the Darkmoon.

I'm coming for him.

I SUCK AT PVP DONT KILL MEEEEEE

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pft, like I'm gonna go human before I spend all my lovely little souls, and maybe absolve my sins. I wonder how much that will be.

You can't absolve indictments, though. I don't know if they carry over to NG+, but even if you absolve you can still be invade by the Darkmoon.

Not that you should worry about that, Darkmoon invaders are pretty rare.

I'm coming for him.

I SUCK AT PVP DONT KILL MEEEEEE

There is one build that at level 45 simply cannot be beat. (And virtually can't be beat at Slvl 70.)

Of course, the famous Elemental Zweihander Poise-Tank. So many people see your armor and try to do the cheap backstab lag move. (At least 90%) and if they do, they are done. You should give it a try!

Obviously, like most elemental builds, they kinda fall apart in the high levels as your attack becomes relatively weak. But still, it's one of my favorite builds.

valouris

You can't absolve indictments, though. I don't know if they carry over to NG+, but even if you absolve you can still be invade by the Darkmoon.

Not that you should worry about that, Darkmoon invaders are pretty rare.

Wow, that is harsh. I thought I was doing a quest like Lautrec, now I'm scarred for life? Does this have any outcome in the regular gameworld? Apart from multiplayer/clan stuff?

Wow, that is harsh. I thought I was doing a quest like Lautrec, now I'm scarred for life? Does this have any outcome in the regular gameworld? Apart from multiplayer/clan stuff?

You are indeed scarred for life.

However, it is my understanding that after revenge has been exacted, your sin level drops.

I hope that in Ds2 they really focus on creating a more balanced PvP experience. Pretty much only 3 of the covenants work, and Forest Hunter ganking almost ruins the experience.

Altazor

Have you been keeping up with the Seigmeyer side quest? (Onion armour guy) If so, Lost Izalith is definately somewhere you want to explore.

It's also worth maybe reading a FAQ about this particular event if you want to go all the way to Seigmeyer's conclusion because there is a condition you have to meet during the event. It's not particularly difficult on first playthrough, but can be on NG+ onwards, or if you just don't know about it.

yup, good guy, funny armor. I'm interested in the ending of that storyline.

It's nothing to worry about, and doesn't impact the story. It just means you are open to blue invaders as well as red when in human form.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
So I dont belong in this thread but wanted to share my experience :) yesterday I gave this a proper go having started a few times and kinda not clicked with it.... I made it to the undead burg and spent an obscene amount of time trying to kill the black knight looking thing that is guarding the ring with the blue stone (sorry cant remember the name) Finally discovered the pyromancers fireballs are my friend and finished it. I then went into another hugely obcene amount of time trying to kill the taurus demon until funnily enough I ran up to it and it immediately turned and jumped off the bridge haha... VICTORY ACHIEVED lol. I then screwed up by walking up to the top if a ladder that is designed to be a shortcut to a previous bonfire anr had the option to "kick ladder". Not realising it was a shortcut ladder I thought that if I kicked it I was kicking it over and wouldnt be able to pick it up again lol so I climbed down without lowering it and then realised I was stuck back at the start haha. Finally after all this I realised there was a ladder at the taurus demon I didnt see that probably would have let me do a plunging attack... fark... lol

I am going to love this game.....

1 question if anyone would oblige, I am probably going to start again with what I know so far, I have picked the pyromancer and am badically just putting my skill points back and forth betweeb strengh and endurance... am I on the right track? When should I consider something else?

2AdEPT

1 question if anyone would oblige, I am probably going to start again with what I know so far, I have picked the pyromancer and am badically just putting my skill points back and forth betweeb strengh and endurance... am I on the right track? When should I consider something else?

Dont bother with strength unless you have a weapon that requires it...you can hold most weapons two handed in the high 20's so dont go any higher unless you want to one hand huge tank weapons and get stat bonus from str. Strength does not make you stronger, vitality (health bar) and endurance (equip burden and recovery from animations) do that. If you are a pyro by nature you may want to focus on dex as it slightly improves your casting time...but then you will want to explore the dex weapons vs. strength. Pyro is upgraded with souls only, so you can max out the glove without leveling your character much...this enables you to pick up faith or magic as well as pyro...if you like casting stuff choose a secondary path for either faith or intelligence.

Basically you either choose to go pure strength or dex. (max out at 40 and to the other to hold the weapons of your choice.....or a hybrid of either of these mixed with faith or intelligence. A good mix of str and faith for example is 36 Str with 30 faith...this enables you holdthe largest weapon two handed but gives you most miracles at 30 faith as well. for whatever reason a lot of magic builds specialize solely on magic...pretty OP I guess.

dont worry too much about the leveling your first playthrough unless yo want to make a balanced PVP character...that case you may want to use a wiki and do better research on how to make an ideal build for PVP. Notwithstanding...your ability to co-op with other players is impeded if you over level too fast. staying lower level and upgrading your weapons first is recommended.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Dont bother with strength unless you have a weapon that requires it...you can hold most weapons two handed in the high 20's so dont go any higher unless you want to one hand huge tank weapons and get stat bonus from str. Strength does not make you stronger, vitality (health bar) and endurance (equip burden and recovery from animations) do that. If you are a pyro by nature you may want to focus on dex as it slightly improves your casting time...but then you will want to explore the dex weapons vs. strength. Pyro is upgraded with souls only, so you can max out the glove without leveling your character much...this enables you to pick up faith or magic as well as pyro...if you like casting stuff choose a secondary path for either faith or intelligence.

Basically you either choose to go pure strength or dex. (max out at 40 and to the other to hold the weapons of your choice.....or a hybrid of either of these mixed with faith or intelligence. A good mix of str and faith for example is 36 Str with 30 faith...this enables you holdthe largest weapon two handed but gives you most miracles at 30 faith as well. for whatever reason a lot of magic builds specialize solely on magic...pretty OP I guess.

dont worry too much about the leveling your first playthrough unless yo want to make a balanced PVP character...that case you may want to use a wiki and do better research on how to make an ideal build for PVP. Notwithstanding...your ability to co-op with other players is impeded if you over level too fast. staying lower level and upgrading your weapons first is recommended.

Thank you! :)

Did you guys know that using IRON FLESH gives you a decrease in lightning resistance, so you take more damage from lightning based attacks.

GET IT? You turn into metal and conduct electricity?

The little things in this game..

Altazor

so... yeah. I managed to almost screw up the Siegmeyer quest by accidentally attacking him while destroying THE LAST CHAOS EATER down in that poison pit and making him hostile. And I got killed.

So I decided to farm souls for my absolution, after which I returned to Lost Izalith and recovered my stuff, parted with Siegmeyer in an amicable way and proceeded to fight the Bed of Chaos.

UGH.

Stupid, gimmicky fight. Thankfully dying didn't mean I had to do the "destroy the glowing orb while avoiding the falling floor trap and the bed of chaos' hand" over and over again. On my first attempt my character glitched out near a tree and basically threw himself at full force down the hole (lol). On my second attempt, I managed to destroy the other glowing thingie and almost got into the core... but I missed the roll/jump and fell to my death.

On my third attempt, I was just about to jump when a huge hand decided to swat me and send me to my falling death once again.

And then I thought "fuck this shit" and proceeded to my final attempt. When reaching the arena, the boss decided to do its flaming AoE attack and almost got me. Estus. Running while blocking - thankfully my shield had a high stability and I had the wolf ring equipped so it wasn't that bad. Then... the decisive moment. I jumped.

Got it! Run at full speed, get into the core. Break the branches. Roll. FLAMING AOE ATTACK WHILE INSIDE THE TUNNEL. Managed to heal just before reaching the very core, while hoping the boss didn't do another flaming AoE. And then, it was over. Finally!

So, in short - fuck Bed of Chaos and its stupid gimmick.

Then I decided to complete the Siegmeyer questline and - oh shit, didn't expect that!

going hollow and being mercy-killed by his own daughter. A sad end for a jolly character :(

So... that's it, I guess. Only the last part of the game remains... well, that and the DLC boss fight. It has been one hell of a ride so far :D

Did you guys know that using IRON FLESH gives you a decrease in lightning resistance, so you take more damage from lightning based attacks.

GET IT? You turn into metal and conduct electricity?

The little things in this game..
Nope never knew that. Good thing I only use Iron Flesh for Nito.

so... yeah. I managed to almost screw up the Siegmeyer quest by accidentally attacking him while destroying THE LAST CHAOS EATER down in that poison pit and making him hostile. And I got killed.
I've always wanted to do this quest, but then I think to myself it's not worth the effort. Siegmeyer is cool though.

Altazor

So... I guess this is it, then. Finally defeated Manus (took me three tries!) and it was a fun yet frustrating fight. Fucking dark magic, man.

So... only the Kiln of the First Flame remaining. Any advice before fighting the final boss? Any recommendations for NG+? How different is NG+ from NG?

Booshka

So... I guess this is it, then. Finally defeated Manus (took me three tries!) and it was a fun yet frustrating fight. Fucking dark magic, man.

So... only the Kiln of the First Flame remaining. Any advice before fighting the final boss? Any recommendations for NG+? How different is NG+ from NG?

Before you beat the game, go on a kindling pilgrimage to get a bunch of bonfires to 15 or 20 flasks. Dark Hand NPC's to steal their humanity to use for Kindling, kill NPC's to get their loot after you drain them of any humanity they have.

Upgrade weapons that you plan on using that require embers, because you have to reacquire those in the next playthrough. Buy useful items from Merchants that will take you a bit to get to in NG+. If you want to farm for upgrade materials or weapons off of enemies, it's also a good idea to do most of it in NG, because everything becomes considerably harder to kill in NG+.

Purchase any spells you may use, or if you are going for achievements/trophies.

I haven't played for a few weeks or a month, but got back in this week with a new Faith character, kind of wanted to do a lot of co-op with it (literally "white knighting" for the host in invasion hot spots), so was thinking of doing a Princess Guard character since I've never used those covenant miracles.

The Channellers seem pretty resistant to faith, they took WOTG and slaps from my divine Claymore +9 like a champ. In fact, I got one shot by the first chest in Dukes because it got buffed by a runaway Channeller!

Anyone have any good divine/occult weapon recommendations? I've been using a Divine Claymore, it's servicable, but I'm sure I could be doing better, I've saved the white slab for that reason. Pretty easy to farm white chunks in TotG by using WotG on the bone centipede things that surround you where the silver serpent ring is, so I'll probably try out a few weapons before I settle. Maybe Halberd?

Soulhouf

I haven't played for a few weeks or a month, but got back in this week with a new Faith character, kind of wanted to do a lot of co-op with it (literally "white knighting" for the host in invasion hot spots), so was thinking of doing a Princess Guard character since I've never used those covenant miracles.

The Channellers seem pretty resistant to faith, they took WOTG and slaps from my divine Claymore +9 like a champ. In fact, I got one shot by the first chest in Dukes because it got buffed by a runaway Channeller!

Anyone have any good divine/occult weapon recommendations? I've been using a Divine Claymore, it's servicable, but I'm sure I could be doing better, I've saved the white slab for that reason. Pretty easy to farm white chunks in TotG by using WotG on the bone centipede things that surround you where the silver serpent ring is, so I'll probably try out a few weapons before I settle. Maybe Halberd?

In my experience blunt weapons such as as the Large Club aren't bad as divine weapons (B faith scaling).

Booshka

Had one drop in Blighttown, so will give it a go thanks.

If you plan on taking your STR to anywhere above 24, don't bother making it Divine or Occult. 2 handed at +15 with 27 Strength will give you 600+ damage of pure physical. Divine/Occult splits that damage so usually you will net far less damage than at +15.

Occult Claymore with 40-50 Faith will do some pretty good damage across the board. Pretty much all weapons that aren't pure STR scaling weapons are good to make Divine/Occult.

Altazor

A small (and probably obvious) observation: is it me or the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith area is REALLY small and feels rushed? Demon Ruins is like 2 small floors, a big staircase and a couple of hallways and Lost Izalith is like a long expanse of lava and a root, and then a small temple with a couple of floors. No intricate design, mostly linear.

I mean, I liked Lost Izalith in an architectural sense, but not in a level design sense... if you know what I mean.

Booshka

A small (and probably obvious) observation: is it me or the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith area is REALLY small and feels rushed? Demon Ruins is like 2 small floors, a big staircase and a couple of hallways and Lost Izalith is like a long expanse of lava and a root, and then a small temple with a couple of floors. No intricate design, mostly linear.

I mean, I liked Lost Izalith in an architectural sense, but not in a level design sense... if you know what I mean.
It's so bad and rushed that From Software apologized for it.

If you plan on taking your STR to anywhere above 24, don't bother making it Divine or Occult. 2 handed at +15 with 27 Strength will give you 600+ damage of pure physical. Divine/Occult splits that damage so usually you will net far less damage than at +15.

Occult Claymore with 40-50 Faith will do some pretty good damage across the board. Pretty much all weapons that aren't pure STR scaling weapons are good to make Divine/Occult.
Hmmm. I'm using the Claymore. I know divine/occult isn't regarded the best in terms of pure damage, but I want to keep everything faith-based. Gonna give a few weapons a try, the slow running 2 handed swing on the claymore I think is what irk me, it sometimes leaves me trading hits with things.

I was summoned yesterday by a Petrus cosplayer. My faith toon in the Maiden set, and the host then summoned Solaire for the O&S fight - it felt pretty holy!

valouris

Quick question:

How do I access the DLC? Will I know it is DLC content when I see it or is it totally integrated with the rest of the game? When am I supposed to do it?

Please answer as spoiler-free as you can. I have beaten Seath and the Four Kings, haven't beaten Nito although I have made my way to him, I also haven't cleared Lost Izalith yet.

Quick question:

How do I access the DLC? Will I know it is DLC content when I see it or is it totally integrated with the rest of the game? When am I supposed to do it?

Please answer as spoiler-free as you can. I have beaten Seath and the Four Kings, haven't beaten Nito although I have made my way to him, I also haven't cleared Lost Izalith yet.
You've done Dukes Archives, so you should've killed the blue Crystal Golem at the very start of the area (in the first room after the first elevator up) - it drops an item that is needed to enter the DLC area.

As for the rest, without spoilers, think of another area in the game besides Dukes that has crystal golems. You can tackle the DLC area any time between getting the Lord Vessel and killing the very end boss. You can return to the main world any time you like (warpable bonfires), so it's not like you're stuck there if you find tough or want to go back, unlike
the Painted World

Total spoilers to access DLC:
1. Kill the Darkroot Hydra
2. Rescue Dusk
3. Kill the Dukes Golem
4. Return to the area where you rescued Dusk, a big purple swirly thing appears, touch it!

Toxi

Banned

I think the area with Siegmeyer and the blender monsters is cool... But yeah, they were really rushed otherwise.

I mean, they reused the dragon ass assets as enemies. What the fuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom