• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Hmmm. I'm using the Claymore. I know divine/occult isn't regarded the best in terms of pure damage, but I want to keep everything faith-based. Gonna give a few weapons a try, the slow running 2 handed swing on the claymore I think is what irk me, it sometimes leaves me trading hits with things.

I was summoned yesterday by a Petrus cosplayer. My faith toon in the Maiden set, and the host then summoned Solaire for the O&S fight - it felt pretty holy!

To be honest, this is a fault in your timing and execution, and not the weapon. That running r1 is probably one of the best running attacks, it's a wide arc spin attack that hits almost completely around you. So, use it to your advantage, don't run straight at enemies, run to their side and back, then do the running R1, the sweep will hit them as long as you are within range. After that, you can easily follow up with a R2 or R1, 2 hand Running R1 to R2 is a deadly combo with Claymore, it's best if you do it not locked on and takes some practice and skill to execute. It also staggers and stunlocks the vast majority of enemies, so they won't even have a chance to hit you if you do it right.

If you are looking for just a gap closing strong attack, then line up a jump attack and time it so you don't trade hits.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Lost Izalith is half-baked and all, but I will brook no smack-talking of the Glowing Land of Ambulatory Butts.

Booshka

Lost Izalith is half-baked and all, but I will brook no smack-talking of the Glowing Land of Ambulatory Butts.

I did feel a sense of satisfaction after going full on Jurassic Park chaos mode and systematically killed all of the Dragon Butts. Half of the kills were them killing each other, but it was a cluster fuck of stuns, staggers, stomps and Estus chugs worthy of "BRAZZERS" fame.

Altazor

so before I finish with my "main" character, I decided to create a new one (magic focused, something that is completely the opposite of my main melee char) and holy crap, I breezed through the asylum and the burg in no time. Hell, I beat the Taurus Demon in (probably) one minute. And, well, the first time I played through the game with my main, I must've been stuck with the TD for WEEKS, getting all frustrated and angry because he beat the shit out of me constantly.

Anyway, felt really good. It was sweet, sweet revenge for all those days I spent unable to progress.

So, of course, I die in a very stupid way after: when the Hellkite Dragon appeared and covered the bridge in flames, I wasn't able to escape in time. Herp derp.

And now I reached Undead Parish, got to Andre's bonfire and activated the shortcut to Firelink and tomorrow (probably) I'll finish the parish and kill the gargoyles. I hope.

mrbagdt

so before I finish with my "main" character, I decided to create a new one (magic focused, something that is completely the opposite of my main melee char) and holy crap, I breezed through the asylum and the burg in no time. Hell, I beat the Taurus Demon in (probably) one minute. And, well, the first time I played through the game with my main, I must've been stuck with the TD for WEEKS, getting all frustrated and angry because he beat the shit out of me constantly.

Anyway, felt really good. It was sweet, sweet revenge for all those days I spent unable to progress.

So, of course, I die in a very stupid way after: when the Hellkite Dragon appeared and covered the bridge in flames, I wasn't able to escape in time. Herp derp.

And now I reached Undead Parish, got to Andre's bonfire and activated the shortcut to Firelink and tomorrow (probably) I'll finish the parish and kill the gargoyles. I hope.

even though i have not finished the game yet (at anor londo final boss now) it is very tempting to 'start over' and try the game from a different perspective. i did a dex / light armor route this time. it would be pretty fun to try again with str, heavy armor, just to see how much easier / harder / different it would be.

so when i started anor londo, i read (after getting to the rotating bridge bonfire) that you should probably have a weapon around +10 to proceed, and i had never gotten something past +5. so i was focusing on trying to get to the next blacksmith and looked up the maps to find out how to reach him. so after a few days of playing a hour here or there, i finally reach him and man am i ready to upgrade weapons and make this easier! but what... whats this.... why... why cant i upgrade... frantic checks online... only andrei can go from +5 to +6?!? what kind of crap is that! so i get myself worked up, open up that door, give myself the shortcut and start making the route back through to sens fortress with the goal of getting all the way to andrei without touching a bonfire so i can easily warp back to anor. and last night i got progressively closer after 3-4 attempts, eventually getting to the first bridge you go over. and for some reason... i didnt roll when i should have rolled... and i got knocked off by one of the first axes in the freaking level and died...

DARKSOULS

Altazor

even though i have not finished the game yet (at anor londo final boss now) it is very tempting to 'start over' and try the game from a different perspective. i did a dex / light armor route this time. it would be pretty fun to try again with str, heavy armor, just to see how much easier / harder / different it would be.

so when i started anor londo, i read (after getting to the rotating bridge bonfire) that you should probably have a weapon around +10 to proceed, and i had never gotten something past +5. so i was focusing on trying to get to the next blacksmith and looked up the maps to find out how to reach him. so after a few days of playing a hour here or there, i finally reach him and man am i ready to upgrade weapons and make this easier! but what... whats this.... why... why cant i upgrade... frantic checks online... only andrei can go from +5 to +6?!? what kind of crap is that! so i get myself worked up, open up that door, give myself the shortcut and start making the route back through to sens fortress with the goal of getting all the way to andrei without touching a bonfire so i can easily warp back to anor. and last night i got progressively closer after 3-4 attempts, eventually getting to the first bridge you go over. and for some reason... i didnt roll when i should have rolled... and i got knocked off by one of the first axes in the freaking level and died...

DARKSOULS

hahaha, this game, man. Tends to fuck you in the ass when you least expect it. It's almost like a reality check: "don't get too cocky, don't think you've already mastered me - you can still get punished".

In any case, I'm sure you can already upgrade weapons up to +10 if you give Andre the Large Ember (which is in the Depths), so you should already have it. If I remember correctly, I tackled Anor Londo (and the Painted World) with a +1 Lightning Halberd (or was it a +2?) EDIT: nope, must've been a +10 Halberd that I ascended to a +1 Lightning in Anor Londo, because the Giant Blacksmith is the only one who can do that.

Oh, and regarding my adventures with my sorcerer character: I spent more time trying to clear out the parish than battling the Gargoyles. They were... surprisingly easy with a sorcerer. Actually, I'm quite sure I had more troubles with the hollows blocking up the hallways in the parish than with the Gargoyles. Oh well.
After that, I took care of the Titanite Demon just before the Darkroot Garden entrance. No problem. It has been fun so far - a different experience to my mostly melee "main" playthrough.

neoemonk

I'm starting to collect all the miracles for the trophy and I find them to be underpowered compared to magic and melee.

As always I'm probably just doing it wrong and I haven't gotten all of the miracles yet, but honestly outside of homeward and the heals, I don't care for them.

Force, Emit Force, and WOG...I'd rather have a shield.

Soulhouf

DARKSOULS

There is a shortcut that connects Sen's top to its bottom. With that you can reach Andre in 3 minutes from Anor Londo and without fighting any enemy.

I'm starting to collect all the miracles for the trophy and I find them to be underpowered compared to magic and melee.

As always I'm probably just doing it wrong and I haven't gotten all of the miracles yet, but honestly outside of homeward and the heals, I don't care for them.

You can buff miracles with the Dusk Crown and a couple of rings.
Miracles seem to lend themselves more to PvP I'd say. Things like Vow of Silence, Tranquil Walk of Peace, WotG, magic barrier, Sunlight blade - No doubt they have situational uses in PvE, but they're more useful in PvP, and depending on how you look at some of them, they're either gimmicky or cheap. I always feel dirty using WotG in PvP because of how often other people use it for cheap wins, but you can't argue with the success rate.

The two lightning spear miracles are OK for bosses, but the casting time is slow, I'd rather go in and melee.

Related: Using them for the first time ever - The Princess Guard covenant miracles are crap. Well, I've only used the first replenish one, which I think is obscenely too high at 36 Faith requirement and two attunement slots, because it works far too slow to be useful. The other one is 48, which is also super high. I feel like just joining the Sunbros and giving Miss Thang an arrow to the cleavage so I can at least get invaded in AL again. >:-(

I gotta say, I'm not liking the look of the armor so far in Dark Souls 2. The armor looks trashy compared to the elegant and dignified 16th century West European armor sets from Dark Souls.

Aesthetically, I love the Elite Knight Armor set. It looks like something a commander under King Henry VIII might wear.

Soulhouf

Related: Using them for the first time ever - The Princess Guard covenant miracles are crap. Well, I've only used the first replenish one, which I think is obscenely too high at 36 Faith requirement and two attunement slots, because it works far too slow to be useful. The other one is 48, which is also super high. I feel like just joining the Sunbros and giving Miss Thang an arrow to the cleavage so I can at least get invaded in AL again. >:-(

These are 2 gimmicky miracles but it feels awesome to be able to heal an NPC in a boss fight.

Altazor

dont.... dont tell me this...

well, you CAN fight some enemies (the ones in the fortress' entrance and/or the serpents in the narrow walkway with the swinging blades) but you can run past them if you want. But... yeah, the shortcut is a hanging cage. Activate it from the top. Sorry, bro :(

mrbagdt

well, you CAN fight some enemies (the ones in the fortress' entrance and/or the serpents in the narrow walkway with the swinging blades) but you can run past them if you want. But... yeah, the shortcut is a hanging cage. Activate it from the top. Sorry, bro :(

checking map... and... DAMN IT

mrbagdt

good thing is - now you know, even if you're not succesful in reaching the top and activating it once again. But as someone already said: dying in Dark Souls isn't failure. It's an opportunity to learn.

kind of on this vein of discussion- is peoples favorite way to troll others in this game in multiplayer doing things like turning levers / closing gates / closing doors so people have to repeat sections to reopen them?

neoemonk

You can buff miracles with the Dusk Crown and a couple of rings.
Miracles seem to lend themselves more to PvP I'd say. Things like Vow of Silence, Tranquil Walk of Peace, WotG, magic barrier, Sunlight blade - No doubt they have situational uses in PvE, but they're more useful in PvP, and depending on how you look at some of them, they're either gimmicky or cheap. I always feel dirty using WotG in PvP because of how often other people use it for cheap wins, but you can't argue with the success rate.

The two lightning spear miracles are OK for bosses, but the casting time is slow, I'd rather go in and melee.

I was waiting (hoping?) for someone to come in this thread and tell me how wrong I was...this is actually a little unsettling.

krakov

I always feel dirty using WotG in PvP because of how often other people use it for cheap wins, but you can't argue with the success rate.
(

It's extremely easy to dodge, don't feel dirty. Great for combos though if you're facing people that don't care to roll. Great combustion / Black flame on the other hand, dat hitbox.

Altazor

Got to Anor Londo. Fuck this place. Just running past Silver Knights to go at the boss.

probably my favorite area in the game, except for those fucking archers. The rest of it - beautiful architecture, good challenge, soul-farming possiblity with all those silver knights (also, the chance for one of them to drop the excellent silver knight shield) and, of course, O & S. Fun, yet oft frustrating fight.

I kept on with my sorcerer character. I decided to get the Drake Sword in case a magic-resistant enemy appeared... lo and behold, them crystal golems in Darkroot Basin. The DS was very useful there. Beat the Hydra without Rusted Iron Ring, but wasn't that hard. Then I decided to battle the Golden Crystal Golem so I could rescue Dusk and get her catalyst - and I battled it, again, without the RIR. Success!

After that, I decided to... go get the RIR (yeah, I'm weird like that), so I headed back to the Asylum for a while. Battled the Black Knights (not very hard with Great Soul Arrow, tbh) but decided to skip the Stray Demon for now.

And then... well, I defeated the Moonlight Butterfly without much hassle. I must admit - with my melee char I summoned Beatrice and the fight was pretty much over before it started. Not this time. Thankfully I had the Crest Shield (and used the Magic Shield sorcery) so I could block some of its attacks... then again, I embarrassingly died while TRYING to dodge. Ugh. But in the end I prevailed. Hooray!

So now I'm in a bit of a pickle - either I fight the Stray or I fight the Capra. And I relish neither of those fights. So which one should I tackle first, Dark Souls GAF? :D

I give up, Kalameet N+ is just a wall of "screw you Mage I will kill you in two hits" while Manus can instant kill me wherever he wants. Both have a insane resistance to Magic so I am stuck.

2AdEPT

Miracles are better once you get the ring (sun's first born ?), wear your crown, and get the lightning spears. The two best weapon buffs in the game are darkmoon and sunlight blade...depending on what you do at gwyndolins lair. emit force is only powerful once the above parameters and enough faith has been acquired, but love directing the knockdown. magic is great and all but throwing lightning is godly.

I give up, Kalameet N+ is just a wall of "screw you Mage I will you in two hits" while Manus can instant kill me wherever he wants. Both have a insane resistance to Magic so I am stuck.

I have a mage on pc that is level 81 and she has helped get kalameet plus tail multiple times...Manus as well....co-op makes it easier....but I didn't get much help from the host the last few times lol. she has 50 INT but base vitality ...hah haha ....how;s that for cocky.....she needed help to do those bosses when I went through them on my first DLC run.

chupon

So I'm just about half way through on a playthrough and something strange happened. I was heading towards the Clan of Forest Protectors and wanted to take them out to farm some souls and work my way towards Sif.

I was dueling one of the non-respawning knights when I accidentally rolled off the cliff to my death. After respawning at the nearby bonfire I went to go fight him again and he was gone. I wondered it he may have uhm, 'followed' my off the ledge when I rolled? Seems strange, but has anyone ever had this happen? I didn't earn any souls from his death, but he's definitely not there anymore.

aFIGurANT

So I'm just about half way through on a playthrough and something strange happened. I was heading towards the Clan of Forest Protectors and wanted to take them out to farm some souls and work my way towards Sif.

I was dueling one of the non-respawning knights when I accidentally rolled off the cliff to my death. After respawning at the nearby bonfire I went to go fight him again and he was gone. I wondered it he may have uhm, 'followed' my off the ledge when I rolled? Seems strange, but has anyone ever had this happen? I didn't earn any souls from his death, but he's definitely not there anymore.

There are enemies there that are like you describe, but only if you've already joined the forest hunter covenant. Otherwise it almost sounds like you were invaded and didn't realize it. The four mobs people farm will always respawn (the mage, the bandit, the cleric and the hunter).

chupon

Yea this was definitely the forest covenant knight. I was hollow so could not have been invaded.

More of a curiosity than anything, just never had that happen.

Ravager61

probably my favorite area in the game, except for those fucking archers. The rest of it - beautiful architecture, good challenge, soul-farming possiblity with all those silver knights (also, the chance for one of them to drop the excellent silver knight shield) and, of course, O & S. Fun, yet oft frustrating fight.

I hate Anor Londo. The archers made me give up on my last playthrough. I started the game again on PC recently with the intention of beating it and finally got past the archers... only to get my ass handed to my by O&S.

Anyone have any quick tips for them? I'm playing a high dex character and have the Lightning Uchigatana +2.

Strange stuff like this happens in DkS all the time. After a while you don't even question it. It's all part of the charm, I say!

Altazor

So today was a pretty eventful day in Altazor's Mage Adventures in Lordran. I pretty much tackled Depths + Blighttown (from Valley of Drakes, heh) + unifnished business at the Asylum (aka STRAY DEMON).

Got my sweet revenge on those damned basilsks by attacking them from afar with Soul Arrow. Also, I remembered why I disliked the place so much. Thankfully, Drake Sword was useful (once again) against the Channeler and I barely had any problems except getting nervous whenever a basilisk appeared on screen.

Anyway, onto the Gaping Dragon. Easy boss, but because LOL ALTAZOR, I died on my first try. Dunno what the fuck happened - I think I misjudged the distance and the dragon came down crashing above me and my mage was left for dead in an instant. Yet I was victorious in the end - after a great number of Great Soul Arrows (and a couple of Heavy ones, too). Feels good to be able to snipe enemies from afar, not necessarily getting to the physical combat side of things. It's, at least, a nice change of pace.

Then, that lovely place with a lovely sounding name and a shitload of mosquitoes. Not too many problems with my descent (again, from the Valley, because FUCK THE OTHER ENTRANCE) and the only time I died was because I got poisoned in the swamp and I was being attacked by leeches and my character decided to die the microsecond before the Estus healed me. Bad timing, bad luck. Onto Kellogg's.

This... spider lady was the first time I felt underpowered in this run. Neither the Drake Sword nor my Great Soul Arrows were doing much damage, but I had no other choice - so I had to be really careful. The Heavies were too slow (so I decided against them) and the normal Soul Arrows did too little damage, but I HAD to use them once I ran out of GSAs. I died on my first try because I got cornered, Kellogg's decided to pour lava all around me and then used her AoE... so yeah, pretty much fucked. Beat her on the second try, after many many Soul Arrows and dodging and circling her and healing and blah blah. Rang the second bell.

After that... back to Firelink. Talking to Toothy, discovering Lautrec is an asshole and deciding to finished what I started earlier in the Asylum. The Stray Demon fight was... well, tough, in a sense - again, my magic wasn't doing much damage but I had NO other choice. Died horribly on my first try (two big ranged slams with its weapon and I was done for); my second try was much more successful and I even managed to bring down its health to its last quarter when I fucked up and was a second too late - AoE just when I was running to circle him and that was it. My third try was THE ONE. Same strategy: circle him, spam arrows. Always behind him. Mid-range in case the fucker decided to do its AoE. Everything was going fine until my GSAs ran out and I had to use my normal Soul Arrows (which did, again, very little damage) and then... the fucker decided to GET AWAY FROM ME AND LEAPT ACROSS THE ROOM TO THE CORNER. Oh shit - how do I even get behind him if he's pretty much in the corner of the room? I dunno what the fuck i did but I managed to circle him in a very tight spot while firing away and then somehow found a small portion of the arena nearby unaffected by the demon's AoE. I managed to get him to his last three hits. Landed two. "This is it," I thought... and the demon starts to raise his weapon to do his AoE again. I'm in front of him, I can't get away in time - and if the attack hits me, I'm dead. So I press RB.

YOU DEFEATED.

Huge sigh of relief. Fuck you, Stray Demon. I managed to defeat you, once again.

And that was, pretty much, it. I dunno if I'll go straight to Sen's now or I'll do the other part of Blighttown I'm missing. Food for thought.

GRIP

I hate Anor Londo. The archers made me give up on my last playthrough. I started the game again on PC recently with the intention of beating it and finally got past the archers... only to get my ass handed to my by O&S.

Anyone have any quick tips for them? I'm playing a high dex character and have the Lightning Uchigatana +2.

Use the pillars and be patient. If you are just concerned with getting past them and not getting any specific loot from them then I would also recommend killing Ornstein first. It's a lot easier to separate him from Smough than the other way around and super Smough is considerably easier than buffed out Ornstein.

Also, you might want to upgrade your gear. A plus two Uchi w/lightning probably isn't doing a great deal of damage (you probably would have been better off not adding lightning damage to it). You should probably try to farm a bit and get it to +5.

And don't get discouraged by those two fuckers. That was by far the most difficult boss fight for me on my first playthrough.

Arjen

I'm trying out an all faith character with an occult claymore, but damn it does shit for damage. I'm up to 40 faith and the damage output is laughable, 120 damage on seath for example, i think i'm going to be destroyed in the DLC. On the plus side, doing so little damage against bosses is sort of refreshing, since you dont have the down in seconds it kind of brings back that first playtrough feeling again.

I'm trying out an all faith character with an occult claymore, but damn it does shit for damage. I'm up to 40 faith and the damage output is laughable, 120 damage on seath for example, i think i'm going to be destroyed in the DLC. On the plus side, doing so little damage against bosses is sort of refreshing, since you dont have the down in seconds it kind of brings back that first playtrough feeling again.
On my current faith build, I switched my Divine Claymore +9 for a Divine Halberd +9 which does better damage (36 faith atm).

I have an Occult Flamberge that does less damage than the Claymore, but I just wanted to use something different to what I normally do. Faith weapons, not really wrecking shit so far.

I think a +10 (or higher) weapon would better. IIRC Ornstein is resistant to lightning. A high stability shield is useful if you're not fast rolling to dodge everything. I know Soulhouf often recommends the Eagle Shield for this fight, so I defer to his better knowledge.

As for which to kill first - I find Super-Ornstein easier to kill, and you get an extra ring drop from killing him. Most people will say Super-Smough is easier, I think it's just what you get used to. Maybe if you get Smough in a butt bounce loop like the Asylum Demons it's easier, but I find his charging move hard to dodge. Whoever you kill last is the soul you get (and which weapon you can make from it) and who's armour you can purchase, so if you want both you have to do NG+.

Soulhouf

Contradiction.
Why? Why do people continue to do this? ;_;

So yeah, revert that Ushigatana to +10 and if you have trouble rolling/dodging, get your Eagle Shield to +10 and have an easy fight blocking their attacks.

I have an Occult Flamberge that does less damage than the Claymore, but I just wanted to use something different to what I normally do. Faith weapons, not really wrecking shit so far.

I really like the Grant. But the problem is that high str requirement which opens to you all the good str weapons.
But nevertheless it's a fun weapon that does a good amount of damage and destroys everything in the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants.

Playing back Demon's Souls reminded me how much better faith weapons are. The damage is split but it's still very good, not to mention that HP regen.
I really want Dark Souls II to have interesting faith weapons like that instead of the gimmicky divine/occult property and the split damage nerf.

Nordicus

Going through a "Fist weapons only, no shield, no magic, always fat-roll" run, I noticed something peculiar at Moonlight Butterfly:

If you stick to the end of the area that's in rubble, it keps spamming that sweep ray. Managed to beat the boss using 5 estus flasks because it used that spike barrage so rarely.

I wonder if it's possible to repeat those results or the RNG was just in my favor

Altazor

As for which to kill first - I find Super-Ornstein easier to kill, and you get an extra ring drop from killing him. Most people will say Super-Smough is easier, I think it's just what you get used to. Maybe if you get Smough in a butt bounce loop like the Asylum Demons it's easier, but I find his charging move hard to dodge. Whoever you kill last is the soul you get (and which weapon you can make from it) and who's armour you can purchase, so if you want both you have to do NG+.

I had lots of trouble with that Smough attack at first, but if I remember correctly, when he charges at you, you just... roll backwards. And it worked :O

As for the fight itself - I found it FUN. Yeah, I'm weird like that. Then again, I wasn't afraid of summoning Solaire when shit wasn't working - although he was largely useless by the second stage of the fight (usually killed in the first seconds), he was instrumental in separating and distracting O&S so I could focus on one of them. If you have TWO weapons, use each one for each boss: O is weak to fire, S is weak to lightning.

On my first try, I managed to kill S first... then O proceeded to impale me mercilessly just at the start of the second phase. It was VERY frustrating to be honest. So I guess I found ElectroSmough much easier - it's the same dodging strategy you used against his normal version. And you can land some nice hits after he does that buttslam.

Best of luck, Ravager61! When you defeat those two, the feeling of achievement will be tremendous :)

chupon

Amazing what a few SLs and some upgraded gear can do for a boss fight. Wasn't able to even put a dent in Stray Demon, but just slaughtered him last night.

Booshka

I'm doing a dex build using the uchigatana (or katana--type blades), any suggestion on the armor?

Wear light robes and cloaks to keep you fast rolling. I usually try to keep my armor under 10-12 units so I can fast roll, carry a good shield, bow and a couple light weapons. If you have the Wolf ring, use that to supplement your poise.

2AdEPT

I'm doing a dex build using the uchigatana (or katana--type blades), any suggestion on the armor?

really depends...are you going for looks or functionality? My dex chick has never looked better, and her robes allow fast rolling:

screenshots

edit...how come I cant embed pics from my steam screen shots?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198061681000/screenshots/

She is Dex/Faith actually.....for those doing faith builds, you can get some split damage weapons for fun as secondaries....but stick with +15 and use the faith buffs instead....then if something is weak to fire or lightning...use resin.

melancholypanda

Neo Member
So do guys think the collector's edition of 2 is worth it? I really want that statue, but the PC version is like £50 more expensive than the standard version. That seems like a lot of money to dish out, but I haven't really bought collector's stuff before so I don't know what kind of standard the stuff is made to.

Deitus

I finally have enough materials where I can upgrade my Magic Balder Side Sword +5 to a decent level of Enchanted. I could have upgraded it to Enchanted much sooner, but an Enchanted weapon with no upgrades is useless because it has the same INT scaling as Magic +5, but worse STR and DEX scaling. And then I got trapped in Dukes Archives for a while, and now that I'm finally out I have like 6 Blue Titanite Chunks, which should be a huge upgrade.

However, I'm really starting to second guess my choice of weapon. Balder Side Sword is great for it's double-thrust R2 attack, but that's basically all I use with it, and it gets boring. It's rolling attacks has a crappy hitbox. The running attack 1-handed is not bad at all, but for the time it takes, R2 is almost always a better choice; 2-handed running attack just isn't good. It's R1 attack is not bad, especially 2 handed if I have a couple seconds to attack freely. But it's 2 handed moveset is barely different from 1-handed, except stronger.

So I was scouring my inventory and the wiki to see if there was something I would like more. I'm building a heavy INT mage character, but I like weapons with good range and high speed, that can be used effectively 1-handed. The Uchigatana seems pretty good for that, but unfortunately it requires 2 more points of STR than I have. This makes it hard to test out since I'm not going to invest any more points in STR until I know I'm going to need them (can't really afford to waste points on STR as an INT character). I ended up rolling a new character and rushing him to the earliest point where you can get an Uchigatana just to test it out. I like it, but I'm still a little unsure. And it's hard to compare 1 to 1, since I have to switch back and forth between characters.

My comparison so far:

Both weapons
=Both weapons have about the same speed and range for basic attacks
=The R2 attack is nearly identical for both weapons, in animation, speed, and range, except that BSS can do a followup thrust.

Uchigatana
+About 13% higher damage than BSS; not huge, but definitely noticable
+Excellent running attack; very fast to execute, and amazing range
+Rolling attack has a wide arc, so its unlikely to miss anything in range
+Bleeding effect

-2-handed R2 move is basically garbage. I really don't see any reason to ever use this as it leaves you open for a long time, and barely does more damage than the very quick R1 move. Better to use 2 R1s instead.
-Slightly more stamina drain

Balder Side Sword
+Lighter weight than Uchi by 2.0
+Does not require any additional investment in STR (it's technically 4 less STR, but my character started with 12, so its only a 2 point swing)
+Double Thrust R2 move is really good
+Better durability (barely worth mentioning since both have poor durability, and its easy enough to repair them)

-Lack of move variety, and double R2 is used for everything
-Rolling and running attacks are lackluster

Still not sure which to pick. I don't want to upgrade the BSS now only to decide to switch later and have to grind out a bunch of blue chunks, but I'm definitely due for a weapon upgrade.

Upgrade Balder Side Sword to Enchanted. Upgrade Uchigatana to Fire/Chaos/Lightning. All those upgrades use different chunks so you shouldnt run out of them and that way you can two different weapons that do two different kinds of damage which will keep you covered in most cases.

Deitus

You need to increase your STR anyway for the Moonlight Great Sword aka, the best weapon for a mage.

For my playstyle, a Greatsword would not work very well. I know Moonlight is incredibly powerful, but it would just get me killed more often. If I do another run, I'll have to make a character focused on large, slow weapons, just to do something completely different, but I'd rather not have to relearn how to play Dark Souls 2/3 of the way through.

Upgrade Balder Side Sword to Enchanted. Upgrade Uchigatana to Fire/Chaos/Lightning. All those upgrades use different chunks so you shouldnt run out of them and that way you can two different weapons that do two different kinds of damage which will keep you covered in most cases.

An interesting idea. I had been keeping around a Lightning Spear for enemies that resist magic (though I hadn't upgraded it yet so it's pretty weak). But if I decide not to use it as my primary weapon, I'm certainly not going to invest the points in strength to use the Uchigatana. I'd rather just use a different weapon at that point. Plus, I wouldn't be able to equip both at the same time without moving my catalyst.

However, I might consider doing the opposite. Upgrade Uchigatana to Enchanted to use as my primary weapon, downgrade BSS to normal, and upgrade that to Lightning/Fire/Chaos. I still wouldn't equip both at once, but I could switch between the two if I run into a patch where enemies aren't taking magic damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom