• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Can't you use Durante's mod for that? I only used it get a decent resolution on pc and used a controller for the game but I think there's an option in the files to rebind the keys.

I'm not sure, I don't have the PC game. But if I did, I wouldn't mind trying to play with mouse and keyboard if it meant I could designate different keys for light attack/kick and heavy attack/jump attack. Such a pain for me to do the latter movements consistently on console in the heat of the moment.

Almost four months after starting and I finally beat the game, including the DLC, for the first time today! Really loved the game even after I stopped playing for a good month+ when I got stuck in the painted world. I think a lot of the areas in the latter half of the game straight up sucked and felt rushed, hopefully the sequel takes after the first half of the game more than the second half. I started the DLC right before the final boss which did help elevate the last half of the game. I thought the areas and enemies in the DLC were pretty bland but the boss fights were really fun.

The upside of waiting so long to pick up Dark Souls is that now only have to wait a month for Dark Souls 2, woohoo!

Anustart

So I got dsmfix in there, but now the mouse doesn't control the camera at all. Cursor moves around but camera is fixed.

gogosox8

Thanks! Fixed it, and I must say, camera movement is greatly improved now. How did From mess up so much when it came to the pc port?

Good question. Well they said it was going to be a straight port and boy they weren't kidding. I love the game but I haven't seen a port this bad in a while.

Anustart

Actually hoping the sensitivity fixes this issue, to get my character to turn around now it takes a good 5 full sweeps of my mouse :/

Welp, lost my souls for the first time today in aldor. Didn't mind losing the souls themselves because I only had like 13k on me since I spent most at the giant smith, but I lost 9 soft humanity I was saving up to hand in to the red PVP faction. Feels bad, but was completely my fault because I was running around panicking like a headless chicken because I pulled too many knights and got skewered by multiple at once.

The fat guy and lancelot fight is giving me a lot of trouble. Trying to kill the fat once first so I can buy lancelot's armor later but even though I try to keep the fat guy between me and lancelot, he still lances me through him. Very annoying. Only boss fight besides that lava spider lady to give my any trouble so far.

Danny 117

Was playing some PVP earlier and someone was using a purple force field to push me back and did quite a bit of damage. What's the name of that spell? :)

Anustart

Poking around Undeadburg now. Bought a bottomless box, no clue if it's handy but whatever.

Not really feeling anything special from the game yet, but perhaps that'll change soon (I hope so, not very compelling to keep playing)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So I tried to save Solaire (Killing all the bugs, getting the Sunlight Maggot.) but it doesn't seem to be working. I killed the Centipede Demon and talked to him by the bonfire then I talked to him when he's in the shortcut tunnel and it's not working. Have I reached the point of no return with him?

So I tried to save Solaire (Killing all the bugs, getting the Sunlight Maggot.) but it doesn't seem to be working. I killed the Centipede Demon and talked to him by the bonfire then I talked to him when he's in the shortcut tunnel and it's not working. Have I reached the point of no return with him?

If Solaire isn't attacking you in the tunnel, you've saved him.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
If Solaire isn't attacking you in the tunnel, you've saved him.

Alright, cool. Can't lose my Sunbro.

I'm getting real tired of my Havel's Set + Lightning Zweihander/Greatshield of Artorias setup. Maybe want to go lighter/faster, any suggestions?

Anustart

Played a bit more. Still in Undead Burg, but the game's growing on me. I constantly want to go a bit further, investigate whats where and so on.

I'm going to go through without a guide, as I think I'd probably be robbing myself of something if I were to do so.

Chitown B

The skellies in the Catacombs are different to the ones in the graveyard as they never die unless you kill them with a divine weapon or take out of the necromancers controlling them. The graveyard ones shouldn't be giving you too much trouble, one backstab should do them or a few smacks with your Claymore two-handed. Maybe it's more that they're interupting your own swings, which is a case of your armour not having a lot of poise. Their swords also cause bleed - which is that bar that builds up when they hit you, when it fills it takes of a huge chunk of HP, often fatal if you aren't at max health.

thanks!

Just noticed the shortcut from the church back to Firelink. Stupid for not seeing it before. beat that lightning dude before the dark woods

Ornstein and Smough down! God, that fight, at least the first round, is like the absolute best and worst of this game in one crazy package. Lack of sound cues, inaccurate hitboxes, messed up AI behavior, the necessary reliance on that terrible auto-centering camera, and yet the fundamentals of the fight are solid enough that things often just work anyway and produce huge thrills. There's synergy between them, even though it seems like they operate completely separately, so it's just a product of the design of their movesets. Dodging simultaneous attacks perfectly with the barest of margins is amazing. Having Smough do his bulldozer move three times in a row or hitting you with an invisible hitbox that extends past his hammer model, or having Ornstein attack silently from across the room or do that whole flying rush attack-standing animation-sudden flying rush attack finish thing (seriously, that must have been straight up unfinished, it's far too obviously disastrous to be intentional) makes me want to break things. But it was so damn satisfying in the end. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure veterans understand.

I guess I'll hit the Duke's Archives next. I'm not a big fan of that area at all, but I'm expecting some seriously devious black phantom placements there. O&S were my biggest fear coming into this run, and the game starts to peter out a bit at this point anyway, but hopefully those phantoms will keep things interesting without just breaking the game.

soontroll

Banned
Is it possible to remap the M/K controls on PC?

Dacia :eek:

Couldn't you rebind keys even without dsmfix? It lets me do it in the key settings menu.

Actually hoping the sensitivity fixes this issue, to get my character to turn around now it takes a good 5 full sweeps of my mouse :/

Either plug in a controller or get dsmfix. You're just ruining your experience using vanilla controls.

2AdEPT

Katana bros got a question

I have never used katana weapons til this new character. Been thinking about going Chaos Blade this run.

Now question is which do I use?

At moment I have a +5 Iaito and just purchased the Washing Pole. Do I just upgraded the Iaito to +10 and leave it like that then have washing pole become chaos blade? Or does the chaos blade suck

My stats at moment at 22 end 20 str and 24 dex

most of your questions were answered above, but don't scrap the washing pole...definitely use uchi for upgrading to chaos blade as you can buy them cheaper. The washing pole will have better damage if you go quality more than pure dex, but the others will be slightly higher if you go pure dex...notwithstanding, the reach is so superior on the washing pole I have not been able to revert to the shorter weapons...they feel stinted. The running r1 is so deadly,and putting together those combos with a fire buff on is like works of art.

Any last minute advice for blighttown? I've heard horror stories, but after grinding for large titanite shards and getting my gear significantly upgraded I've had a much easier time. I don't have the ring of fog.

Hystzen

Thanks for katana help think will buff all to a +10 then go for Uchi as chaos.

Also does iron flesh work for the sliver knights archers. Guessing the spell should stop you been knocked back from the lance arrows then I can casually you use poison arrows to finish them offf

LogicStep

I killed the butterfly, cleared anor londo and the painted world, but now I don't know where to go. Went towards the wolf and he wrecked my shit. Went to the valley of the drakes and that dragon wooped my ass, I'm thinking it's time to go to the catacombs? Not sure where to head next.

Soriku

I killed the butterfly, cleared anor londo and the painted world, but now I don't know where to go. Went towards the wolf and he wrecked my shit. Went to the valley of the drakes and that dragon wooped my ass, I'm thinking it's time to go to the catacombs? Not sure where to head next.

You got rocked by Sif? Hmm. By the time you reach the end of Anor Londo you get access to the blacksmith there, and by that point you can create and upgrade a number of great armor sets. Personally I bought the Giant armor set from the blacksmith there and it's great (the blacksmith also had the necessary materials to fully upgrade it). Just try to find an armor set you like and upgrade it.

The blacksmith is also able to create lightning weapons and I created a Lightning Claymore +5 IIRC which was powerful since I had decent intelligence. But for Str/Dex builds, just go +15.

The Valley of Drakes isn't a big area. The big cursed dragon there isn't that hard; you just have to be careful. I was able to use magic and that helped.

Personally I recommend not going to the Catacombs till later. At this point in the game you're trying to get the Lord Souls and the Catcombs lead to the Tomb of Giants. That area is really dark and you need either a lantern (takes up a hand slot) to get around or the Sunlight Maggot (a helmet) which you can get from the Chaos Bug in Lost Izalith. So you could go the Demon Ruins now and try to make your way around to Izalith. Alternatively, go to the Duke's Archives from Anor Londo. You can also try your hand at New Londo, but only do it after killing Sif because you get a ring needed to face the boss in New Londo.

Sullichin

Also does iron flesh work for the sliver knights archers. Guessing the spell should stop you been knocked back from the lance arrows then I can casually you use poison arrows to finish them offf
Good luck getting the cast off without getting knocked off. I have no idea if it would actually work though.

Like Soriku said, there's a bunch of options open to you now. You will have to beat Sif eventually. If you're having a hard time with him try out Demon Ruins.

You got rocked by Sif? Hmm. By the time you reach the end of Anor Londo you get access to the blacksmith there, and by that point you can create and upgrade a number of great armor sets. Personally I bought the Giant armor set from the blacksmith there and it's great (the blacksmith also had the necessary materials to fully upgrade it). Just try to find an armor set you like and upgrade it.

The blacksmith is also able to create lightning weapons and I created a Lightning Claymore +5 IIRC which was powerful since I had decent intelligence. But for Str/Dex builds, just go +15.

The Valley of Drakes isn't a big area. The big cursed dragon there isn't that hard; you just have to be careful. I was able to use magic and that helped.

Personally I recommend not going to the Catacombs till later. At this point in the game you're trying to get the Lord Souls and the Catcombs lead to the Tomb of Giants. That area is really dark and you need either a lantern (takes up a hand slot) to get around or the Sunlight Maggot (a helmet) which you can get from the Chaos Bug in Lost Izalith. So you could go the Demon Ruins now and try to make your way around to Izalith. Alternatively, go to the Duke's Archives from Anor Londo. You can also try your hand at New Londo, but only do it after killing Sif because you get a ring needed to face the boss in New Londo.

Lightning weapons don't scale with any stat.

Randam

you are not allowed to enter lost izaliths after the centepede demon fight.
you have to go back and through the short cut and talk to him there.

if you enter LI he will go aggro.

iron flesh makes you very slow.
just run up there, with light armor, roll through one arrow and then block/parry him.

you have to place the lord vessel. then a cutscene will show you were you can go.

The skellies in the Catacombs are different to the ones in the graveyard as they never die unless you kill them with a divine weapon or take out of the necromancers controlling them. The graveyard ones shouldn't be giving you too much trouble, one backstab should do them or a few smacks with your Claymore two-handed. Maybe it's more that they're interupting your own swings, which is a case of your armour not having a lot of poise. Their swords also cause bleed - which is that bar that builds up when they hit you, when it fills it takes of a huge chunk of HP, often fatal if you aren't at max health.

the skellies in the graveyard die without an devine weapon?
that is new to me.

Anustart

And for this Tortellini boss in Undead Burg, am I going to be forced to grind out 500,000 souls or what? 2 hits and I'm dead, skelly shooting an arrow at me, can't block the boss, can HOPE to roll and dodge an attack, seems 50/50 on whether I get hit or not.

mannerbot

And for this Tortellini boss in Undead Burg, am I going to be forced to grind out 500,000 souls or what? 2 hits and I'm dead, skelly shooting an arrow at me, can't block the boss, can HOPE to roll and dodge an attack, seems 50/50 on whether I get hit or not.

So you're aware that there are archers shooting at you -- why aren't you killing them before aggroing the boss? And from your earlier posts about the Asylum Demon, it seems like you're under the impression that you can stand toe to toe with enemies and just hit buttons, swing away, and come out with a win. Maybe you should try not getting hit? You can block the Taurus Demon's attacks (and not take damage if you have a 100% physical block shield), and you can also get good at rolling and take 0 damage. You also never have to grind for souls just in order to progress, soul level 1 runs are a common challenge for experienced players. Stop playing like a dum-dum, observe your surroundings, learn from your mistakes, and you'll have a lot more fun.

Anustart

So you're aware that there are archers shooting at you -- why aren't you killing them before aggroing the boss? And from your earlier posts about the Asylum Demon, it seems like you're under the impression that you can stand toe to toe with enemies and just hit buttons, swing away, and come out with a win. Maybe you should try not getting hit? You can block the Taurus Demon's attacks (and not take damage if you have a 100% physical block shield), and you can also get good at rolling and take 0 damage. You also never have to grind for souls just in order to progress, soul level 1 runs are a common challenge for experienced players. Stop playing like a dum-dum, observe your surroundings, learn from your mistakes, and you'll have a lot more fun.

I have tried blocking and rolling and evading. I'm not trying to go toe to toe.

And I'd kill the archer but I can't scale the side of the tower.

Battle goes: Dodge and attack when I can, 10 attacks later I knock off maybe 10%. When I get hit, i'm on the ground, takes 10 seconds to get up and probably get hit again and die before I can do anything.

mannerbot

Battle goes: Dodge and attack when I can, 10 attacks later I knock off maybe 10%. When I get hit, i'm on the ground, takes 10 seconds to get up and probably get hit again and die before I can do anything.

Tthere's a ladder on the left side of the tower. There's an off chance that your game is glitched but perhaps you simply didn't notice it?

And you may be exaggerating just a wee bit about the damage and such. I know the Taurus Demon seems really tough now -- we've all been there -- but it certainly does not knock you down for 10 seconds. Even if it did you've invincible while you're on the ground. If you didn't know, you have invincibility frames when you roll so you should try to dodge attacks as late as possible and go into the attack to minimize the amount of time that it's able to hit you. But rolling well isn't necessary for beating the Taurus Demon. Simply walk up to him and bait an attack, then roll back and punish when he whiffs. Or get behind him. Or climb that tower...

Mad Max

There is a ladder next to the door when you leave the tower, use that to kill the archers before taking on the boss. Also you can do drop attacks from up there, but the taurus can also get up there, so watch it.

2AdEPT

If you are going to cheese with poison arrows, you just shoot them from the bottom while their arrows are out of range...you have the depth of one or two characters to work with while out of range....aiming higher will net a win. There are multiple ways to win here including my most recent favorite which was just to run all the way up to the right (was trying to parry at low level) and he broke my guard and bashed my shield so I ran back down....both fell off.

obviously this would not be a recommendation if it were impossible....keep your head up...as soon as he starts falling off the opposite tower bolt for the ladder using your red circle button held down (i.e. RUNNING! )

Anustart

Still haven't beat the boss, but I did down that black knight looking dude in the lower alley, got some ring. How exactly do I do a backstab? Just get behind an enemy?

Someone left a hint saying he was weak to that, which would be preferable to the 18 damage I was doing to him per weak hit, 28 heavy.

Randam

try to stay between his legs.
but still block his attacks.
but a lot of the times, he will miss you.
after an attack of him, hit him.

and lower your shield to regenerate stamina faster.

mannerbot

Still haven't beat the boss, but I did down that black knight looking dude in the lower alley, got some ring. How exactly do I do a backstab? Just get behind an enemy?

Someone left a hint saying he was weak to that, which would be preferable to the 18 damage I was doing to him per weak hit, 28 heavy.

Lower your shield, get behind an enemy, weak attack.

Randam

btw. what weapon/shield are you using?

Um, is there some new hack floating around? I just got insta-cursed and egged by an invader in the parish. As far as I know, that's supposed to be impossible in PVP? He was also taking VERY little damage from my Zweihander +5.

mannerbot

Um, is there some new hack floating around? I just got insta-cursed and egged by an invader in the parish. As far as I know, that's supposed to be impossible in PVP? He was also taking VERY little damage from my Zweihander +5.

It's not new, and yeah it's a hack. If you're using DSfix like you should be, just load an older save.

mannerbot

Great Axe and a Hollow soldier shield I think. Armor is mostly chain. I have no idea what the numbers mean next to equipment, so no clue whats better than what.

The equipment is fine, though I'm certain that you actually have either a Hand Axe or a Battle Axe.

Great Axe and a Hollow soldier shield I think. Armor is mostly chain. I have no idea what the numbers mean next to equipment, so no clue whats better than what.
That chain armour will make sneaking up on enemies harder (like the Black Knight you killed with his back to you at first) as it makes more noise than a lot of other armours. On the equipment page, if you click to the information page for a weapon or armour piece it will compare it to others as you scroll through, blue is better, red is worse. The menu tells you what button it is for more info at the bottom.

Souls isn't a brute force game, if you die to an enemy there is a way to kill it just have a look around for clues or at your gear. There is no need to grind in Souls, levelling up a load yeah it's going to help but as each level costs more than the last you're going to be grinding for a VERY VERY long time in the early areas if you want to try and break the game by grinding. What is far more important than grinding is upgrading your weapon. You may already be able to do this if any enemies you've fought have dropped Titanite Shards, but if not, no problem - Undead Burg and Taurus Demon is more than doable with a standard weapon and what you have at hand, it was designed to be done with a regular weapon.

Taurus Demon's attacks are telegraphed as hell, you can bait his attacks by standing in range, then backing off when he attacks, then run in and get a few two-handed swipes in before backing off and repeating. Or you can do what you learned in the tutorial level - a plunging attack. If you picked up the Gold Pine Resin, that will also make the job a lot faster and easier. Firebombs also work well and pyromancy if you started as that class.

Anustart

The equipment is fine, though I'm certain that you actually have either a Hand Axe or a Battle Axe.

Yeah it's a battle axe, whoops!

That chain armour will make sneaking up on enemies harder (like the Black Knight you killed with his back to you at first) as it makes more noise than a lot of other armours. On the equipment page, if you click to the information page for a weapon or armour piece it will compare it to others as you scroll through, blue is better, red is worse. The menu tells you what button it is for more info at the bottom.

Souls isn't a brute force game, if you die to an enemy there is a way to kill it just have a look around for clues or at your gear. There is no need to grind in Souls, levelling up a load yeah it's going to help but as each level costs more than the last you're going to be grinding for a VERY VERY long time in the early areas if you want to try and break the game by grinding. What is far more important than grinding is upgrading your weapon. You may already be able to do this if any enemies you've fought have dropped Titanite Shards, but if not, no problem - Undead Burg and Taurus Demon is more than doable with a standard weapon and what you have at hand, it was designed to be done with a regular weapon.

Taurus Demon's attacks are telegraphed as hell, you can bait his attacks by standing in range, then backing off when he attacks, then run in and get a few two-handed swipes in before backing off and repeating. Or you can do what you learned in the tutorial level - a plunging attack. If you picked up the Gold Pine Resin, that will also make the job a lot faster and easier. Firebombs also work well and pyromancy if you started as that class.

I actually have a few Titanite shards! Going to investigate what they do now. Also, I almost killed the Taurus, sadly he knocked me down then hit me again before I got up for the kill. Did two yolo's off the top of the tower. Also, that ladder was in a shadow, I overlooked it the first couple times, thanks for pointing out it was there.

Edit: I have 2 Titanite shards and 1 titanite chunk.

2nd Edit: Use Item is unavailable on my shards and chunks :(

It's never been an issue and I've played over 200 hours of this game. Didn't have backups enabled. Lesson learned, I guess.

Wait, there's a hack someone can use that can bork my game? Wtf.

Top Bottom