• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Edit: I have 2 Titanite shards and 1 titanite chunk.

2nd Edit: Use Item is unavailable on my shards and chunks :(
Chunks are for higher weapon upgrades, shards you can use at the Blacksmith if you have visited Rickert of Vinheim down the lift under Firelink Shrine. Very shortly you will be able to buy an item that let's you upgrade weapons yourself at a bonfire.

Anustart

Chunks are for higher weapon upgrades, shards you can use at the Blacksmith if you have visited Rickert of Vinheim down the lift under Firelink Shrine. Very shortly you will be able to buy an item that let's you upgrade weapons yourself at a bonfire.

I can get underneath Firelink??? Only spots I found were undead burg and some gnarly graveyard where I got my ass stomped.

Edit: Found ole Rickert, and that whole new area, New Londo was it? Dunno if I'm well equipped to be down there, so I visited the smith then departs post haste.

Randam

I can get underneath Firelink??? Only spots I found were undead burg and some gnarly graveyard where I got my ass stomped.

Edit: Found ole Rickert, and that whole new area, New Londo was it? Dunno if I'm well equipped to be down there, so I visited the smith then departs post haste.

you can try new londo.
right at the beginning, there is an awesome item, that makes your estus flasks stronger.
but it is hard to get.

to hurt the ghost, you need to use a little trick.

you should have found something right befor entering new londo.
read its description.

btw. read the description of every item you found.
especially keys.
will tell you where to use them.

other tipps: level up endurance.
lets you block more and stronger hits.
and dont level up resistance at all.
Negative, they only respawn in the Catacombs. Those in the graveyard always died normally.

ha, i really have to trie that.
was certain, they respawn as well.

Chitown B

got to the Capra Demon. For two seconds.

Right now I'm basically at level 32 Knight, with 18-19 STR, DEX, END, VIT

have a +5 regular Claymore
+5 Tower Kite Shield
Black Knight Helmet +1
Elite/Knight armors, mixed and matched. Some are upgraded. I've also upgraded my Estus +1

Ferr986

Got back to the game after some months. Decided to continue a barely started NG++ run. First shit I do is go through the Catacombs with the shortcut and kill the boss. Then I go to the bonfire from Tomb of the giants, because why not? and only when I sit on it, I realize I still dont have warp. Fuck me.

Oh, and of course I dont have any holy weapon.

And I'm 100% done with Dark Souls, all achievements unlocked. Getting through New Game Plus wasn't too bad, and I sliced through Sif, the Asylum Demon, the Moonlight Butterfly, and the Iron Golem like a hot knife through butter in New Game Plus 2. What a great ride.

Anustart

I will say killing that black knight dude in Undead Burg gave me big sense of accomplishment. He wasn't too hard, but fighting him was really rewarding and showed me that timing my attacks carefully was a fun experience and trying to read what attacks he was throwing me out.

Just something about him that made me realize a lot of thought went in to designing the enemies.

Edit: Was adventuring in the area below Firelink shrine, found some curses in a jar that let me engage ghosts apparently, made my way to some water and saw a corpse with an item on it I think, 2 ghosts appear in front of me, 1 from behind. I freak out a bit and try to side step and get behind the one who was behind me and......fell to my death in the puddle that had a sharp and sudden drop off :(

2nd Edit: Does this Firekeeper soul I found permanently affect my Estus Flask? I used it, so I hope so! Again, sorry for what might be dumb questions, but I'm purposefully not looking at a guide for this game!

Taurus is down, 2 leaps off the tower and some general smacking.

2nd Edit: Does this Firekeeper soul I found permanently affect my Estus Flask? I used it, so I hope so! Again, sorry for what might be dumb questions, but I'm purposefully not looking at a guide for this game!
Did you give it to the Firekeeper - the girl behind the bars directly under the Firelink Shrine bonfire? If so your Estus Flask should say +1 against it when in your inventory on the HUD.

If you used the item yourself you've lost it unfortunately, you get 5 humanity for it (the number top left on the HUD) but that's all. Very much a waste, but there are a few more to be found.

Anustart

Did you give it to the Firekeeper - the girl behind the bars directly under the Firelink Shrine bonfire? If so your Estus Flask should say +1 against it when in your inventory on the HUD.

If you used the item yourself you've lost it unfortunately, you get 5 humanity for it (the number top left on the HUD) but that's all. Very much a waste, but there are a few more to be found.

I simply used it myself :/ I figured it was bad once I got back up near the top and the person behind the bars asked for one to boost estus :(

Nerokis

I will say killing that black knight dude in Undead Burg gave me big sense of accomplishment. He wasn't too hard, but fighting him was really rewarding and showed me that timing my attacks carefully was a fun experience and trying to read what attacks he was throwing me out.

Yeah, when I started out, I did what a message on the ground told me and tried to backstab the Black Knight, took out at most 15% of his health, and then ran away. :p I'm definitely impressed you killed him before even the Taurus Demon.

Make it a thing to read every item description, man. You learn a lot doing so, about mechanics, lore, next steps, and so on. Unfortunately, if you used the Fire Keeper Soul instead of handing it to a Fire Keeper, you've lost a potential Estus Flask upgrade. Not the end of the world, though. You got the soul from the New Londo Ruins, right? I didn't get that one for a long time. You'll be fine.

Anustart

Yeah, when I started out, I did what a message on the ground told me and tried to backstab the Black Knight, took out at most 15% of his health, and then ran away. :p I'm definitely impressed you killed him before even the Taurus Demon.

Make it a thing to read every item description, man. You learn a lot doing so, about mechanics, lore, next steps, and so on. Unfortunately, if you used the Fire Keeper Soul instead of handing it to a Fire Keeper, you've lost a potential Estus Flask upgrade. Not the end of the world, though. You got the soul from the New Londo Ruins, right? I didn't get that one for a long time. You'll be fine.

Yeah, got that one from New Londo. Now I'm up in the area around the drake. Just got attacked by some pig with pig armor (musta been dlc), fought some rats. Encountered some other knight atop a tower in that area, but he was messing me up even if I blocked so I let him be for the time being.

Tiops

I got 2 Titanite Slabs from 2 Darkwraiths I killed in New Londo Ruins, one right after the other. Did they increase the drop rate for those items or was I extremely lucky?

LogicStep

Don't know what I should do with my stats. 30 Vit 28 End 20 Dex and 20 Str. Got an Uchi at +10 and a Quelaags at +3. Don't know what route I should go with weapons and stats. Also, anyone else feel like Havels ring takes a spot forever? I put that thing on and never take it off...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the Gaping Dragon. The first two times I got one shotted but then I realized there was a Channeler buffing the dragon so I went and killed him and beat the dragon on my third try.

Then I tried to head to Blighttown and got killed by the first dude after the first ladder down from The Depths.

Lol

soontroll

Banned
Yeah, got that one from New Londo. Now I'm up in the area around the drake. Just got attacked by some pig with pig armor (musta been dlc), fought some rats. Encountered some other knight atop a tower in that area, but he was messing me up even if I blocked so I let him be for the time being.

He's worth a shot I think and definitely not impossible. His sword is pretty damn nice too, if you get lucky.

sikkinixx

Well Sen's Fortress was annoying, but pretty easy overall. Just dealing with the high poise of those damn lizard men was a bit fickle. Iron Golem was a joke and the easiest 40k souls in the game.

So... Do I go to Anor Londo now or...? I don't really feel like wandering all the way back down but I've read poison arrows would be good to have, some more pyromancy from the Chaos Servant thing (though I've really only been using lightning miracles this far).

Anustart

He's worth a shot I think and definitely not impossible. His sword is pretty damn nice too, if you get lucky.

Got him down to about half before he smoked me. Just irritating that every time I die I gotta run back up from the bonfire in undead burg.

Made some good progress today, but think I'll call it quits til tomorrow.

Edit: Also another seemingly stupid decision from From, to quit the game, I have to sit through the opening sequence again every time? As in the logos that flash on screen. Sure I can turn them 'off' with dsfix, but all that does it make the screen black for the same amount of time the logos would be appearing.

soontroll

Banned
Well Sen's Fortress was annoying, but pretty easy overall. Just dealing with the high poise of those damn lizard men was a bit fickle. Iron Golem was a joke and the easiest 40k souls in the game.

So... Do I go to Anor Londo now or...? I don't really feel like wandering all the way back down but I've read poison arrows would be good to have, some more pyromancy from the Chaos Servant thing (though I've really only been using lightning miracles this far).

There's a shortcut back down.
check out the cages on chains before the boss fog.

I never used poison arrows in Anor londo but pyromancy is always helpful. I doubt you'd have time to cast when you actually need it though.

Got him down to about half before he smoked me. Just irritating that every time I die I gotta run back up from the bonfire in undead burg.

Made some good progress today, but think I'll call it quits til tomorrow.

There's a shortcut and another bonfire close by :p
Wait on the left part of the bridge where it's safe until the dragon moves to fly. Then run like hell straight ahead.

Nerokis

Don't know what I should do with my stats. 30 Vit 28 End 20 Dex and 20 Str. Got an Uchi at +10 and a Quelaags at +3. Don't know what route I should go with weapons and stats. Also, anyone else feel like Havels ring takes a spot forever? I put that thing on and never take it off...

Hey, same here! I noticed a speed upgrade after putting it on, and I don't think I've removed it once since. I'm pretty sure it was the second ring I ever got, too.

It's interesting to see how differently you distributed your stats, though. Vit is ~16, End ~35, Str ~16, Dex ~35, threw one put into Attunement, and wasted 2 points in Faith (tried out a certain spell, and thought not being able to efficiently wield a talisman may have been resulting in accelerated usage). I've been tempted to throw points into Intelligence for the purpose of using some buffer spells. Horrible idea?

LogicStep

Hey, same here! I noticed a speed upgrade after putting it on, and I don't think I've removed it once since. I'm pretty sure it was the second ring I ever got, too.

It's interesting to see how differently you distributed your stats, though. Vit is ~16, End ~35, Str ~16, Dex ~35, threw one put into Attunement, and wasted 2 points in Faith (tried out a certain spell, and thought not being able to efficiently wield a talisman may have been resulting in accelerated usage). I've been tempted to throw points into Intelligence for the purpose of using some buffer spells. Horrible idea?

I'd like to know because I'm considering getting some buff spells. But I'm not sure if I should pump my dex more or what I should do. Maybe I should use my souls to upgrade my gear.

Mindlog

My replies sort of ran together. Been watching the game for a while.
I've been tempted to throw points into Intelligence for the purpose of using some buffer spells. Horrible idea?
Standard disclaimer: Everyone has a different experience so results may vary.

I didn't like my sorcerer build very much even at 42 INT until I got certain spells. I wouldn't invest points there. Almost everything that low level sorceries do can be done better with pyro. If you plan on targeting weapon buffs in particular like Darkmoon Blade/Sunlight/Crystal Magic then it's going to take a considerable investment. Power Within and Resin can get the job done.
If you really like the Uchi I would start pumping more points into Dex. All the way to 40 even. However, before that I would suggest trying out other weapons to see if they are fun. The previously mentioned Washing Pole is a great candidate for experimenting. If you like another weapon then everything from END/VIT and even FAI/INT becomes an option.

I've only used the FAP ring on one character. I like having my options, but it's a really strong ring. I took it off to kill NG+ Four Kings, but I had two others by then.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to skip fucking Blighttown? Because playing at 6fps on a bunch of precarious platforms with enemies that can poison me from across the map is not my idea of fun.

Is there a way to skip fucking Blighttown? Because playing at 6fps on a bunch of precarious platforms with enemies that can poison me from across the map is not my idea of fun.

Shortcut:
There's an alternate route from Valley of the Drakes. If you have the Master Key, it's accessible from Firelink->New Londo. Otherwise you have to go through Darkroot Garden.

I got 2 Titanite Slabs from 2 Darkwraiths I killed in New Londo Ruins, one right after the other. Did they increase the drop rate for those items or was I extremely lucky?

This happened to me, too. Then only one more slab dropped that entire play through.

Chitown B

fuck you Capra Demon :)

photo_zpsf05020e2.jpg

That was when I realized I could just stop wearing heavy armor and kill two birds with one stone.

Chitown B

yeah just took 4-5 tries to get his rhythm down. With the claymore one swipe took care of the dogs but he kept jumping on me and staggering me.

Anustart

Killed him and got his sword, but dang, looks like I need 20 more strength to use it, not to mention how much more dex I need also.

Edit: Also got another Firekeeper soul thingy from somewhere near that dragon. In a church looking place with some dude raining lightning bolts of death down upon me. Ran in and grabbed it then skedaddled.

Chitown B

Killed him and got his sword, but dang, looks like I need 20 more strength to use it, not to mention how much more dex I need also.

Edit: Also got another Firekeeper soul thingy from somewhere near that dragon. In a church looking place with some dude raining lightning bolts of death down upon me. Ran in and grabbed it then skedaddled.

yeah that's the church with the two gargoyles up top. That's where you ring the first bell. I recommend being human and summoning Solaire to help, if you've talked to him at the opposite end of the bridge.

Banzai

What's the best armor that can be upgraded with normal titanite? Havel's is cool for now but doesn't seem future proof.
I've finished this game 4 times but don't know much about armours because I just played my other character with what looked best on a sorceress.

Anustart

Was poking around in Dark Root Basin when I stumbled upon a knight of some sort....

Long story short I fell off a cliff and died, but while I was falling I got a piece of blue titanite? I think it was called. That normal?

Was poking around in Dark Root Basic when I stumbled upon a knight of some sort....

Long story short I fell off a cliff and died, but while I was falling I got a piece of blue titanite? I think it was called. That normal?

The Black Knight probably fell off the cliff while chasing you and died, netting you his drop.

Arjen

Uchi has great scaling from dex, put your points in there.

Has there ever been an explanation for why black/silver knights occasionally start moving around really slow like they're constipated and attacking in tiny, half-hearted arcs?

Nerokis

I didn't like my sorcerer build very much even at 42 INT until I got certain spells. I wouldn't invest points there. Almost everything that low level sorceries do can be done better with pyro. If you plan on targeting weapon buffs in particular like Darkmoon Blade/Sunlight/Crystal Magic then it's going to take a considerable investment. Power Within and Resin can get the job done.

Great advice! Thanks. It never quite clicked with me that, yeah, I've actually never seen a stat requirement on a pyromancy spell. So pyromancy scales exclusively with glove upgrades, then, and your build is secondary to your effectiveness. Interesting. That's definitely something I'll take into consideration in the future.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Has there ever been an explanation for why black/silver knights occasionally start moving around really slow like they're constipated and attacking in tiny, half-hearted arcs?

Godly knights who have been forgotten or charred; their movement and attacks, I think tends to highlight their obsolete might and pride.

Randam

the "pig" isnt dlc. ^^
and did you see the bonfire there behind the bars?
you can reach it from the bridge.
but you have to trick the dragon.

those 2 weapons are dex weapons, so level up dex.

the increased it a long time ago afair.
but till this day, I never got a slab there. :(

What's the best armor that can be upgraded with normal titanite? Havel's is cool for now but doesn't seem future proof.
I've finished this game 4 times but don't know much about armours because I just played my other character with what looked best on a sorceress.

i am not sure, but i think nothing that can be upgraded with normal titanite reaches havels,

best armor is giants.
can be upgradeted with twinkling titanite.
should be a problem to buy for you.

edit: the steel set is pretty good.
but needs a lot of chunks and 5 slabs to upgrade.

Soulhouf

Edit: Also another seemingly stupid decision from From, to quit the game, I have to sit through the opening sequence again every time? As in the logos that flash on screen. Sure I can turn them 'off' with dsfix, but all that does it make the screen black for the same amount of time the logos would be appearing.

That's only in the PC version, so don't blame the original designers, blame the guys who did the port.
In the PS3 version when you quit you find yourself straight on the title screen.

fuck you Capra Demon :)

You say that and you already have Black/Silver Knight helm and Elite Knight equipment?

Blighttown can eat my balls. The entrance via depths is the worst game design I've seen in this game yet. I've fallen off ledges 4 times in a row trying to fight barbarians who hit so hard they knock me off. Sure, roll or strafe if my spider shield has shit stability, but I'll just fall off anyway. Why the hell are bottomless pits HERE? All I want in Blighttown are the eagle shield and maybe shadow armor. Am I better off taking the master key entrance even if that's probably half an hour's worth of backtracking?

Arjen

Blighttown can eat my balls. The entrance via depths is the worst game design I've seen in this game yet. I've fallen off ledges 4 times in a row trying to fight barbarians who hit so hard they knock me off. Sure, roll or strafe if my spider shield has shit stability, but I'll just fall off anyway. Why the hell are bottomless pits HERE? All I want in Blighttown are the eagle shield and maybe shadow armor. Am I better off taking the master key entrance even if that's probably half an hour's worth of backtracking?

Nah, getting there from the bottom is annoying as well. I always take the depths route for Power within. Just run past the barbarians and make the jump for the iato, drop down and you're already at the bonfire.

chunk3rvd

All just one mans opinion but here are my suggestions:

Since you've already taken both STR and DEX to 20 I would go with a quality build. With this you would usually take STR to 28, DEX and END to 40 and put everything else in VIT. You want to be using weapons that scale with both STR and DEX so stuff like the Claymore, Zweihander and Composite Bow will do a tonne of damage

Since you've left STR at 16 you can either go quality as outlined above or you can go with a DEX/buff build like you suggested. If so I would leave STR at 16 (which already gives you access to a nice selection of DEX weapons), take DEX to 40 then invest in either INT or FAI. I'd usually take INT to 40 (or 44 for crystal soul spear) but FAI you can probably leave at 30 as this gives you access to 2 lightning miracles and both buffs. You need to go all the way to 50 FAI to get the next lightning miracle which isn't worth it IMO. Either way, split your remaining levels between VIT and END

Buff builds work best with DEX as the extra damage is applied to each swing and DEX weapons generally swing faster so you get more benefit

This is all theory crafting and the way you eventually go is obviously up to you. My assumptions are simply based on you wanting to stop around level 120-125 as this is where most people with an interest in high level PVP or co-op stop levelling up

Top Bottom