• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Blighttown can eat my balls. The entrance via depths is the worst game design I've seen in this game yet. I've fallen off ledges 4 times in a row trying to fight barbarians who hit so hard they knock me off. Sure, roll or strafe if my spider shield has shit stability, but I'll just fall off anyway. Why the hell are bottomless pits HERE? All I want in Blighttown are the eagle shield and maybe shadow armor. Am I better off taking the master key entrance even if that's probably half an hour's worth of backtracking?
If you're decent at parrying the Barbarians are easy to parry, their one-handed overhead swinging attack is very similar to Havel's. Or you can just run past them.

You can backtrack up for the loot, it doesn't really make much difference - I haven't opened the Depths doors in a very long time so the backwards way is more familiar to me than the "correct" way.

Is there a way to skip fucking Blighttown? Because playing at 6fps on a bunch of precarious platforms with enemies that can poison me from across the map is not my idea of fun.
You should go through the whole level at least once. Most of the good loot is up in the shanty town part of the area. The toxic dart guys don't respawn, so even if you get toxic make it a priority to kill them - so even if you die, they aren't coming back.

Sullichin

If you're decent at parrying the Barbarians are easy to parry, their one-handed overhead swinging attack is very similar to Havel's. Or you can just run past them.

You can backtrack up for the loot, it doesn't really make much difference - I haven't opened the Depths doors in a very long time so the backwards way is more familiar to me than the "correct" way.

You should go through the whole level at least once. Most of the good loot is up in the shanty town part of the area. The toxic dart guys don't respawn, so even if you get toxic make it a priority to kill them - so even if you die, they aren't coming back.

Wow, I don't think I've ever parried them. I guess I knew it was possible because I backstab them a lot.

LogicStep

All just one mans opinion but here are my suggestions:

Since you've already taken both STR and DEX to 20 I would go with a quality build. With this you would usually take STR to 28, DEX and END to 40 and put everything else in VIT. You want to be using weapons that scale with both STR and DEX so stuff like the Claymore, Zweihander and Composite Bow will do a tonne of damage

This is all theory crafting and the way you eventually go is obviously up to you. My assumptions are simply based on you wanting to stop around level 120-125 as this is where most people with an interest in high level PVP or co-op stop levelling up

Hmm, I haven't really used those weapons since they are kinda slow, but I will check them out. Thanks!

Chitown B

That's only in the PC version, so don't blame the original designers, blame the guys who did the port.
In the PS3 version when you quit you find yourself straight on the title screen.

360 version you have to select your save file again then it reloads the logos and starts over.

You say that and you already have Black/Silver Knight helm and Elite Knight equipment?

why wouldn't I? they are found before you'd be able to access the lower Berg. I don't have the master key - oh also this is my first playthrough, so yeah fuck you Capra Demon.

why wouldn't I? they are found before you'd be able to access the lower Berg. I don't have the master key - oh also this is my first playthrough, so yeah fuck you Capra Demon.
Silver knight is mid-game and black knight late-game. It's possible to get bk weapons early but not armour.

Chitown B

Silver knight is mid-game and black knight late-game. It's possible to get bk weapons early but not armour.

well then a guy who invaded me must have dropped it. It looked like it dropped from the knight in the bell tower but maybe he left it for me. I mean, it looks cool but it's not a ton extra protection over my regular knight's helmet.

Soulhouf

Since you can't get the black/silver knight armor before mid/end game, I thought that you were trolling Capra at the end game after skipping him in the beginning.
My bad...

So I turned down all the graphics settings in DSFix to low/off when I was in Blight town because for some reason that place killed my FPS.

So I figure I should change them back since that was ages ago, most settings are pretty self explanatory (aa etc) but I'm not exactly sure what settings I need to change for these:

4xyS28l.jpg
Which setting do I change so I can actually see the wall instead of just black? (it's not a brightness or gamma thing).

Also what setting is this that makes the character get super blurry up close when it's fine when the camera is just like 1 foot further.
Cheers.

Chitown B

Since you can't get the black/silver knight armor before mid/end game, I thought that you were trolling Capra at the end game after skipping him in the beginning.
My bad...

sorry, I didn't realize the black knight helmet was a late game thing. A guy who invaded me must've dropped it.

Ryu

I've made a ton of progress since last I posted after killing all the bosses in Anor Londo (even the dude under it after killing the illusion) and just have the archives to clear out now. I think all that's left in my game to do is Archives, Demon Ruins, and all of the DLC content. That said, I was wondering if someone can help identify a set of armor for me or the pieces that this person is wearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9HymRVC5YM&desktop_uri=/watch?v=n9HymRVC5YM&app=desktop

The chest and legs in particular look really great, but I can't put my finger on what it is. I've been scouring the Wiki's and nothing really looks like it. I know the hood is the gold hemmed hood, but the rest alludes me. Can anyone help out? I would like the pieces and would like to see the stats before heading into what would be more or less end game.

Thanks!

what's the best strong armor that is also light?

There's no real light heavy sets I think, you'd have to go for medium armor.

I think the Dark Set has the best armor to weight ratio for me personally. It's what I'm using, Looks pretty sick as well.

Ornstien's armor is my 2nd favorite, but it's heavier and can't be upgraded so yeah, and that helm is horrendous. You can just look through all the armor sets and see which ones would suit you best.

If you decide to go heavier havel's ring is a must imo.

Anustart

How do I turn back into a human, I have 3 little humanity nuggets but trying to do it at a bonfire says "no humanity"

How do I turn back into a human, I have 3 little humanity nuggets but trying to do it at a bonfire says "no humanity"

Use one the humanity nuggets and it'll show up as a 1 next your health (where there's probably a 00 now).

Then just pick turn human at the bonfire.

Shawn6661

So I turned down all the graphics settings in DSFix to low/off when I was in Blight town because for some reason that place killed my FPS.

So I figure I should change them back since that was ages ago, most settings are pretty self explanatory (aa etc) but I'm not exactly sure what settings I need to change for these:

Which setting do I change so I can actually see the wall instead of just black? (it's not a brightness or gamma thing).

Also what setting is this that makes the character get super blurry up close when it's fine when the camera is just like 1 foot further.
Cheers.

You should try your chance on the DSFix thread : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240&highlight=dsfix

Anustart

Beat the gargoyles up on top of the church, rang the bell, and accidentally attacked the dude who appeared at the bottom of the tower. Any repercussions if I killed him? I bought some reverse curse thing from him before I smashed his face in.

Going from longswords to halberds has been a revelation. The wide sweeping crowd control heavy attack is great and the extra reach made all the difference for me in Blighttown with those big bastards at the start and finish of the level. I almost gave up on this game last week and now I'm in love.

Holy shit, Sen's Fortress isn't even halfway through the game? I thought I was almost done...I'm already at 22 hours.

Arjen

Beat the gargoyles up on top of the church, rang the bell, and accidentally attacked the dude who appeared at the bottom of the tower. Any repercussions if I killed him? I bought some reverse curse thing from him before I smashed his face in.

Lol, excuse me for laughing. But it's pretty ironic.
You just attacked the only dude who could help you if you accidently attacked an NPC.

mannerbot

lmfao

No problem, you can just absolve... wait...

LogicStep

Going from longswords to halberds has been a revelation. The wide sweeping crowd control heavy attack is great and the extra reach made all the difference for me in Blighttown with those big bastards at the start and finish of the level. I almost gave up on this game last week and now I'm in love.

Holy shit, Sen's Fortress isn't even halfway through the game? I thought I was almost done...I'm already at 22 hours.

lol you have a long way to go still.

So I'm trying to make a dexterity build. I've been using the Uchigatana but recently came across the Iaito. My question is, which is better? Or is there a better weapon for dex builds?

Overdoziz

Banned

Took me 55 hours on my first playthrough. That did include the DLC, though. On my curent NG+ run I was past Sen's Fortress after 2 hours already. It's crazy how fast you can actually go through the game if you know what you're doing.

Ryu

Darkroot Basin (if you have not done it already), Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, New Londo Ruins, Demon ruins, Duke's Archives, and all of the expansion DLC which I think is like 3 or 4 other zones.

Yeah.

Work to do, sir. :)

Took me 55 hours on my first playthrough. That did include the DLC, though. On my curent NG+ run I was past Sen's Fortress after 2 hours already. It's crazy how fast you can actually go through the game if you know what you're doing.
Glad I'm not alone. Yeah, It took me a while to really get the hang of combat. I spent a shit-ton of hours in Undead Parish and grinding/practicing against Balder knights around the Church.
Work to do, sir. :)
great news! Will I be able to apply the DLC to this save slot or will I need to start over after I buy it?

Anustart

Lol, excuse me for laughing. But it's pretty ironic.
You just attacked the only dude who could help you if you accidently attacked an NPC.

Lol, that is funny!

Only other npc I've accidentally attacked was some knight dude hanging around fireflink shrine. Wasn't the one nearest to the bonfire, some other dude. He died quick.

Also, I want to use this black knight sword, but dang does it require tons of strength. Haven't found any upgrades to my equipment in a long time.

Divius

So I'm trying to make a dexterity build. I've been using the Uchigatana but recently came across the Iaito. My question is, which is better? Or is there a better weapon for dex builds?
Both are pretty similar. Great Scythe might just be the best DEX weapon.

I'm doing a dex build now as well and I summoned some guy who had endgame gear so I asked 'do you have a spare DEX weapon' and he gave me a Great Scythe +15. lol.

Ryu

Glad I'm not alone. Yeah, It took me a while to really get the hang of combat. I spent a shit-ton of hours in Undead Parish and grinding/practicing against Balder knights around the Church. great news! Will I be able to apply the DLC to this save slot or will I need to start over after I buy it?

You can use it with your current save. Spoilers on how to access the content once applied and you won't want to do this until a bit later in the game when you cleared out a few of the zones I mentioned like Sens Fortress and Catacombs, but before clearing Anor Londo you should get started -

Before clearing Anor Londo, go to Darkroot Basin and kill the hydra. Once dead, hug the wall to the left and skirt around the water. There will be a back area here that seems like a dead end. Quit the game right there and reload. A crystal giant will appear. Kill it and something will happen. Follow up and agree to the dialog option. Clear Anor Londo and place the Lord Vessel at the Altar via Frampt at the Firelink Shrine. Go to the Duke's Archives and, near the first bon fire, there is a crystal giant to kill that will drop a medal. Head back to Darkroot Basin where the hydra was and talk to the person there and a portal will be present to head into the DLC.

The DLC is much tougher than most of the regular game so I do recommend you save it until after you've cleared most of the rest of the game, but that's up to you of course.

mannerbot

The DLC is much tougher than most of the regular game so I do recommend you save it until after you've cleared most of the rest of the game, but that's up to you of course.

I'd say that once you're done with Anor Londo you're ready (so as soon as you can access it). Just make sure that you don't beat Gwyn before trying the DLC, because that ends your game instantly and starts a NG+.

Cheers I'll make a post there.

I heard they're pretty close but Iaito was slightly better when I asked around a week ago.

I found the Uchigatana 1h R2 stab invaluable though so I stuck with it instead.

Soulhouf

Lol, that is funny!

Only other npc I've accidentally attacked was some knight dude hanging around fireflink shrine. Wasn't the one nearest to the bonfire, some other dude. He died quick.

Also, I want to use this black knight sword, but dang does it require tons of strength. Haven't found any upgrades to my equipment in a long time.

If it helps you feel better, that happened to me in my first walkthrough.
Don't worry, just be careful not to attack the other NPCs.

Overdoziz

Banned
Glad I'm not alone. Yeah, It took me a while to really get the hang of combat. I spent a shit-ton of hours in Undead Parish and grinding/practicing against Balder knights around the Church. great news! Will I be able to apply the DLC to this save slot or will I need to start over after I buy it?
I'm mostly talking about knowing where to go. You can also skip a ton of bosses.

falconzss

WTF just happened?

So I put on the Darkmoon Blade Covenant Ring, got summoned and received a message that the master of this realm (or something like that) attempts a boss fight and I'll get warped back to my world and suddenly the trophy for killing Gwyndolin pops up???!!!

What happened? I haven't fought him and I'm still in the Darkmoon Blade covenant.

Mifune

Mehmber
Blighttown can eat my balls. The entrance via depths is the worst game design I've seen in this game yet. I've fallen off ledges 4 times in a row trying to fight barbarians who hit so hard they knock me off. Sure, roll or strafe if my spider shield has shit stability, but I'll just fall off anyway. Why the hell are bottomless pits HERE? All I want in Blighttown are the eagle shield and maybe shadow armor. Am I better off taking the master key entrance even if that's probably half an hour's worth of backtracking?

If you're talking about the big dudes at the start, just climb a ladder. Half the time they'll fall to their death trying to follow you. Those things are big, powerful, but very very dumb.

Tex117

Banned
well INT has little to do with what armour you want to wear, but as a mage you prolly did the dukes archives already...logans sage robe is awesome looking for mages and pretty hefty and well rounded on defense (wear whatever leggins you wish underneath), but not much beats the dingy set for light armour.

Well, I'm looking for a little more than that. I keep getting owned by 4 Kings on New Game plus.

Tex117

Banned
with out some heavy armor, like havel's or giatns + you woll get destroyed all the time.

secret is, to not get hit. ;)
Yeah, but on 4 Kings on New Game Plus you probably are going to get hit!

I always played as a glass cannon, but since Im two years out of practice, I think Im done for!

Anustart

Yeah this is a fun battle. It's in a cramped space so the camera is ass, stun-locked to death 5/5 times so far, woo.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah this is a fun battle. It's in a cramped space so the camera is ass, stun-locked to death 5/5 times so far, woo.

Yeah the Capra fight is pretty annoying due to the cramped space. The most dangerous part of that fight really is the fact that the dogs and Capra can box you into a corner and stunlock you to death. I recommend running up the stairs immediately and two-handing a weapon that can kill the dogs in one swing. After that the boss becomes pretty easy. I just kited him up and around the stairs (drop down whenever he comes up then run back up the stairs whenever he drops down) and swing at him once or twice after he does his attacks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Blighttown can eat my balls. The entrance via depths is the worst game design I've seen in this game yet. I've fallen off ledges 4 times in a row trying to fight barbarians who hit so hard they knock me off. Sure, roll or strafe if my spider shield has shit stability, but I'll just fall off anyway. Why the hell are bottomless pits HERE?
Why wouldn't there be? It's Dark Souls. And other than a sometimes slightly wonky camera in the shantytown (and even there I've seen way worse in other games, and the slight camera issues aren't in places where you'd be likely to fall anyway), the level design is brilliant. Having fatal falls isn't a design flaw. If you are careful, you won't fall. The only times I've fallen in that place were due to my carelessness, not because the game was cheap.

All I want in Blighttown are the eagle shield and maybe shadow armor. Am I better off taking the master key entrance even if that's probably half an hour's worth of backtracking?
These items are early in the level so... no, you really aren't better off doing that.

Btw, it's kind of amazing that you struggle so much in that level despite playing with a guide... xD

Mifune

Mehmber
Blighttown isn't that bad, honestly. The framerate isn't good on consoles but the level itself isn't as hard as I expected. I think people are psyching themselves out a little too much over it. Just play the game carefully and cautiously (same as always) and you'll be fine. The worst part for me was figuring out where I was supposed to go once I got to the bottom. I think I combed every inch of that place before finding the boss, not on purpose.

Great loot there, too. Fun to explore if you have a lot of poison cures on hand just in case.

Something strange happened... enemies respawned while I was going back to the firelink shrine, from the depths (haven't found the bonfire there yet). What the fuck ?

Top Bottom