• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

gogosox82

it actually change the outcome and add more dialogue with gough

Again, I don't think he care that much about the dialogue. He probably just wants to beat Kalameet and getting the key is the easiest way to fight Kalameet. You guys aren't telling me things I don't already know about, its just not relevant in regards to helping a newer player fighting Kalameet.

Again, I don't think he care that much about the dialogue. He probably just wants to beat Kalameet and getting the key is the easiest way to fight Kalameet. You guys aren't telling me things I don't already know about, its just not relevant in regards to helping a newer player fighting Kalameet.

So you want them to show him the easy way ?

Cuyejo

I played tank my first playthrough, Kalameet was indeed a bitch to beat. I said fuck it and went no armor, just a shield and a Black Knight Battle Axe, you need mobility for that fight.
Artorias was the hardest boss for me, he just doesn't stop attacking you.

So I'm nearing the endgame. Acquired all the lord souls and deposited them into the lordvessel. Feels good man.

Do you guys think I should buy and complete the dlc before I beat the game or if I should beat the game and do the dlc in ng+?

Manu

Well, 60+ hours and a lot of frustration later, I beat Dark Souls.

When I was ready to give up on Kalameet I decided to revive on my last try. If I couldn't find anyone to co-op, I was fucked anyways so why not. Turns out someone was available. A guy who was naked and equipped with the dragon tooth.

So we went to Kalameet, and we finally killed the motherfucker. Sigh of relief. He even cut the tail for me, and I ended using the sword to kill Gwyn, but I'm heading ahead of myself. Thanks, overpowered stranger. I'm forever in your debt.

So, Gwyn. Took me about two hours. I'd say it was harder than Manus but easier than Kalameet. I still died a lot but at least I could kill him without help. There's a moment where the fight just clicks and you figure out his moves and the windows of opportunity to attack. Once I did (and it sure took me a long time), it only took a few tries.

I lit the final bonfire and the game kinda... ended? I'm guessing that I fulfilled the prophecy and took over as Gwyn's successor, etc., I expected the ending to be at least a bit more fleshed out. I know there's another ending, I'll probably youtube it later.

So, what can I say? I loved the game. I really liked Demon's but this was much better. This game is longer, has more variety, more bosses, and I loved the connected world. I know I missed tons of stuff and I'd like to go back to it at some point with a guide. I'm not one to replay games but I feel like there's so much I didn't do during this playthrough.

Altazor

So I'm nearing the endgame. Acquired all the lord souls and deposited them into the lordvessel. Feels good man.

Do you guys think I should buy and complete the dlc before I beat the game or if I should beat the game and do the dlc in ng+?

I'd say go for it. On the other hand, if you beat the game, start over and do the DLC in NG+ before reaching a certain boss in the main game
it's Sif
, you get a special cutscene before fighting that boss.

In any case, buy the DLC. It's amazing, and has the best boss fights in the entire game.

do it before NG+ for the boss souls

Well, 60+ hours and a lot of frustration later, I beat Dark Souls.

When I was ready to give up on Kalameet I decided to revive on my last try. If I couldn't find anyone to co-op, I was fucked anyways so why not. Turns out someone was available. A guy who was naked and equipped with the dragon tooth.

So we went to Kalameet, and we finally killed the motherfucker. Sigh of relief. He even cut the tail for me, and I ended using the sword to kill Gwyn, but I'm heading ahead of myself. Thanks, overpowered stranger. I'm forever in your debt.

So, Gwyn. Took me about two hours. I'd say it was harder than Manus but easier than Kalameet. I still died a lot but at least I could kill him without help. There's a moment where the fight just clicks and you figure out his moves and the windows of opportunity to attack. Once I did (and it sure took me a long time), it only took a few tries.

I lit the final bonfire and the game kinda... ended? I'm guessing that I fulfilled the prophecy and took over as Gwyn's successor, etc., I expected the ending to be at least a bit more fleshed out. I know there's another ending, I'll probably youtube it later.

So, what can I say? I loved the game. I really liked Demon's but this was much better. This game is longer, has more variety, more bosses, and I loved the connected world. I know I missed tons of stuff and I'd like to go back to it at some point with a guide. I'm not one to replay games but I feel like there's so much I didn't do during this playthrough.

Replay it, is worth it because the bosses are more hostile and harder

Tarkus

Wow! There really is a LTTP: Souls thread every week, sometimes 2. It's kind of annoying once you realize that all their questions are best answered here.

Donos

Fook you Capra Deamon. Took me 6 tries. My bathroom is bigger compared to the spot i had to fight him. Had to change from my Claymore to Drake sword to finish the dogs up faster. He wasn't really a big problem without the puppies.

Tarkus

Fook you Capra Deamon. Took me 6 tries. My bathroom is bigger compared to the spot i had to fight him. Had to change from my Claymore to Drake sword to finish the dogs up faster. He wasn't really a big problem without the puppies.
That's definitely the key to the battle. Also getting in his face.

tumblr_n4fnds0TxP1qbluruo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mys3d9djkY1qbluruo1_1280.jpg
http://dwdesign.tumblr.com/

Found randomly browsing. :)

Donos

Damn my curiosity ... cleared the Dark Root Forest from the forest hunters and saw a big gate. Well, that looks like a boss fight... should i use my 15.000 souls at the bonfire to level up? yeah, but only a few steps further... hey what's that big ass sword there? ... >
sif
> dead -_-

Also tried a little bit invading with the cat covenant ring and after 3 invasions i have enough. I'm lvl 34 but i only encountered hardcore guys (with coop white phantom coop buddies) with special gear who almost all one hit killed me or somehow got around my back in an instant and backstabbed me. Expected but disappointing nonetheless.
Going to stay in hollow form if that is what i can expect from normal invasions.

Damn my curiosity ... cleared the Dark Root Forest from the forest hunters and saw a big gate. Well, that looks like a boss fight... should i use my 15.000 souls at the bonfire to level up? yeah, but only a few steps further... hey what's that big ass sword there? ... >
sif
> dead -_-

Also tried a little bit invading with the cat covenant ring and after 3 invasions i have enough. I'm lvl 34 but i only encountered hardcore guys (with coop white phantom coop buddies) with special gear who almost all one hit killed me or somehow got around my back in an instant and backstabbed me. Expected but dissapointing nonetheless.
Going to stay in hollow form if that is what i can expect from normal invasions.

Yes the cat covenat have several farming groups for invaders of the covenant, sadly there is no scale for invasions but you can invade people with somewhat your level.

Tarkus

Also tried a little bit invading with the cat covenant ring and after 3 invasions i have enough. I'm lvl 34 but i only encountered hardcore guys (with coop white phantom coop buddies) with special gear who almost all one hit killed me or somehow got around my back in an instant and backstabbed me. Expected but dissapointing nonetheless.
Just as I did, you got ganked! PVP is fun, just not in the cat covenant. I've also had a few of those instant backstabs. I think it comes down to them having a faster internet connection.

Donos

Yes the cat covenat have several farming groups for invaders of the covenant, sadly there is no scale for invasions but you can invade people with somewhat your level.

Ok, thanks.
So maybe i should try the normal invade method now . Better now with my low slvl than with a soul level where it is expected to fight only hc-players. I just want 1-2 good 1on1 fights. The two hollow npc knights in the Forest (Forest Hunters) played like real ppl. Liked these fights.

Hmm, just read that it's still possible that i'm going to invade a way higher slvl than me. Also i have to be in Human Form -_-. Just lost my last two humanity to Hydra. Thanks guys. Going to play a bit further without reading everything up :)

Mistel

Banned
Just as I did, you got ganked! PVP is fun, just not in the cat covenant. I've also had a few of those instant backstabs. I think it comes down to them having a faster internet connection.
It depends with multiple forest hunters I can be a laugh but otherwise it is kinda meh.

Tarkus

It depends with multiple forest hunters I can be a laugh but otherwise it is kinda meh.
I'm currently trying the Darkmoon covenant and there's no action. I've yet to invade with the blue orb. It seems as though there would be plenty of sinners because it's so costly and inconvenient to absolve your sins. Oh well. Are there any other PVP covenants that are lively?

Mistel

Banned
I'm currently trying the Darkmoon covenant and there's no action. I've yet to invade with the blue orb. It seems as though there would be plenty of sinners because it's so costly and inconvenient to absolve your sins. Oh well. Are there any other PVP covenants that are lively?
Not wearing the ring then? Try the Grave lords or dark wraiths.

Booshka

For Darkmoon you have to be overleveled to invade. Most sinners are around SL 120-130, so make a 135 character then try invading. You invade a little bit down as Darkmoon, which is why most players that want to invade on overleveled builds, join the Dorkmoons.

Donos

Now i used all my Cracked Red Eye Orbs and well, out of 5 fights, i had only in one a slim chance to win (slvl 36). The last one was a mage/magic user slamming 2 spells in my face taking each 50% of my hp.

I guess it's more fun doing this when the game releases, with thousands of new players or after you have played 200 hours and want to measure your skills against the pros.

Mistel

Banned
Now i used all my Cracked Red Eye Orbs and well, out of 5 fights, i had only in one a slim chance to win (slvl 36). The last one was a mage/magic user slamming 2 spells in my face taking each 50% of my hp.

I guess it's more fun doing this when the game releases, with thousands of new players or after you have played 200 hours and want to measure your skills against the pros.
It really depends who you match up with as you can invade upwards or your rank so you could end up with anyone higher than you which often results in cases like that where it's a spell or two and your dead.
I think the ring is specifically for
those that have killed Gwyndolin.
I'll try the Gravelords. I done goofed the Dark Wraiths :(
It's for those that kill Gywnevre.

Donos

After a short time, i already know that i won't like New Londo... either i fall down or they gang up on me (and i fall down). Damage is no problem as they die in two strikes.

I did it!

Finished Artorias DLC and beat Gwyn. Feel such an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. What an amazing ride it's been. Frustrating at times, but amazing nonetheless. Almost ready to jump straight back in with NG+ :lol

I'm holding out hope that Dark Souls 2 will be ported to next gen consoles but I'm not sure I can wait, especially since there are no guarantees From will port it in the first place.

Anyways, thanks to anyone in here who gave me tips during my playthrough!

Tarkus

I've been farming souls to get my stats right for a good PVP build. I'm at SL99 and it believe this is a good level for challenging fights. Being in the Gravelord covenant at the Painted World is fun. It's constant invasions, although I don't think the invaders know what's happening half the time. Is it a pain in the ass for players who get cursed by the Gravelords? I read up on the consequences of being cursed. Seems like I'm asshole when I use the eyes of death.

Manu

I did it!

Finished Artorias DLC and beat Gwyn. Feel such an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. What an amazing ride it's been. Frustrating at times, but amazing nonetheless. Almost ready to jump straight back in with NG+ :lol

I'm holding out hope that Dark Souls 2 will be ported to next gen consoles but I'm not sure I can wait, especially since there are no guarantees From will port it in the first place.

Anyways, thanks to anyone in here who gave me tips during my playthrough!

Congrats!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Started messing around in NG+. I didn't realize that I forgot to buy the master key... :(

Killed off the Gargoyles(fair bead is fair), Sif, butterfly, drained New Londo, and am currently at the Capra Demon. *sigh*.

I was making good time too. Lol

Congrats!

Thanks! It's crazy how strong an urge I had to keep playing after I was finished. The game has an incredible draw that's hard to ignore. I'm going to take advantage of the online aspects more on my second playthrough, as I neglected them a bit on my first. Also can't wait to get back to Oolacile so I can partake in some jolly pvp.

PranooY

Went to Demon ruins, according to your suggestions (already went there and beat the ceaseless discharge easily).
Seems like the right choice for now. Thanks.
Spent an hour against the Demon Firesage, which is still pretty long, but, hey, I didn't need to summon anyone, and I always got pretty close to killing him.

Was pretty surprised to see another boss a couple minutes later. This game must have, like, 30 bosses or what? Enemy variety has to be the best I've ever seen.

Will come back to beat him tomorrow.
Fire sage is a carbon copy of stray demon. You just stick to its back and hack away.
I beat Fire sage on my first try, coz i had struggled a lot with Stray Demon.

Edit: Replied to an old post. LOL.

Nordicus

Started messing around in NG+. I didn't realize that I forgot to buy the master key... :(

Killed off the Gargoyles(fair bead is fair), Sif, butterfly, drained New Londo, and am currently at the Capra Demon. *sigh*.

I was making good time too. Lol
Yeah, whether it's 2nd playthrough in NG or NG+, the beginning parts go by quick after you've beaten the game once.

KaneU

So, I am ready to fight 4 Kings, I am in human form and been waiting for past 20 minutes for someone to put a summon sign, but no luck :(

And I NEED help for this boss, it's too tough for me.

Mistel

Banned
So, I am ready to fight 4 Kings, I am in human form and been waiting for past 20 minutes for someone to put a summon sign, but no luck :(

What equipment are you using and your stats?

System/SL?

Where are you waiting? You get some signs outside the door but mostly way back at the start where the blacksmith.

It can be slim pickings for 4 Kings though.

KaneU

What equipment are you using and your stats?

Covenant: Warrior of Sunlight +1
Level: 80
Weapon: Man-serpent Greatsword +10
Havel's Armor set
Ring of Favor and Protection

The last and only time I tried to fight this boss, I died within 10 seconds without doing any damage to the boss. I have leveled like 10 levels since but I am still too scared to face him without help.

Mistel

Banned
Havel's Armor set

The last and only time I tried to fight this boss, I died within 10 seconds without doing any damage to the boss. I have leveled like 10 levels since but I am still too scared to face him without help.
You just run up and hug them you should be fine with that equipment. If you want you can pick up the very large ember nearby to upgrade your man serpent.

I would definately look at the start of the area rather than the boss fog for summon signs.

Grab the Very Large Ember (since you're there any way), upgrade weapon, come back, chomp a green blossom, two hand your weapon, jump down, run in get in their face and slash away, don't bother rolling or dodging too much, just tank and heal.

KaneU

that's exactly what I did, and I did it on my own, yayyy.

Is there anything else to do in The Abyss after killing the 4 Kings and placing the Lordvessel at the oltar?

Thrak360

Neo Member
Finally working on Blighttown. The game engine really does chug down here lol. Yeah I'm playing on console (360).

Can I get a quick rundown on the covenants here? Note that on my first playthrough, I really have little interest in the online aspect. Don't want to do any invasions, maybe at some point I might want to summon someone for help, but that's it. Taking a look at covenant descriptions, it seems Chaos Servant is the only one I should be interested in? And I am a Pyromancer so that covenant can provide benefits. Does this make sense? Is there any downside to joining this covenant? Thanks.

Just started playing the PC version of this and am really liking it. There are frustrating aspects like the lack of pause (I really need a piss sometimes), and the fact nothing is explained in game. I have no clue about the games setting as the load screens go by too fast and I dont see anything else too read.

Anyone know what the situation is with GFWL? I believe it shuts down in a week or two. Am I now in a race against the clock to finish the game? Its tense enough as it is.

EDIT: The poster above has reminded me that I have no clue what a covenant is.

Manu

Havel's Armor set

You should destroy them with those stats. I beat the game at SL 78.

But yeah, the Four Kings gave me trouble.

Do you have the Power Within Pyromancy? If you do, use it and just hit them to kill them quick. Don't worry about them hitting you, just heal when your health is low.

EDIT: I see you already killed them. Duh.

Mistel

Banned
Can I get a quick rundown on the covenants here? Note that on my first playthrough, I really have little interest in the online aspect. Don't want to do any invasions, maybe at some point I might want to summon someone for help, but that's it. Taking a look at covenant descriptions, it seems Chaos Servant is the only one I should be interested in? And I am a Pyromancer so that covenant can provide benefits. Does this make sense? Is there any downside to joining this covenant? Thanks.
Harvest both eyes of death and humanities from the depth then you can get all the gravelord equipment along with the two pyromanices the chaos covenant offers.

Booshka

Just started playing the PC version of this and am really liking it. There are frustrating aspects like the lack of pause (I really need a piss sometimes), and the fact nothing is explained in game. I have no clue about the games setting as the load screens go by too fast and I dont see anything else too read.

Anyone know what the situation is with GFWL? I believe it shuts down in a week or two. Am I now in a race against the clock to finish the game? Its tense enough as it is.

EDIT: The poster above has reminded me that I have no clue what a covenant is.

If you need to step away from the game, just go to Quit Game and sit in the title screen until you are back. You will reload back right where you were, so it's essentially a Pause/Break button. Only exceptions are boss fights and online interactions (invasions and co-op). If you quit during a boss fight you will reload in front of the fog door and the boss will regain all its health.

The Quit Game option is greyed out when you have another player in your game, they have to leave your game before you can quit. In co-op you can use Black crystal to banish them back to their world, if it is an invader, you need to kill them, be killed by them (most common lol), suicide, or the invader dies on their own.

Top Bottom