• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Vico

Ended up summoning two players to fight Orstein and Smough. Was one of the most epic fight I've ever played in a game (even got to see ghosts from even more players during the battle). Can't help but feel like that's cheating, though.

I really think I'm underpowered. Probably made the wrong choices when leveling up.

Don't really know where to go next (did talk to the snake-thingy at the first bonfire), but which of the three locations is the easiest?

Mistel

Banned
So stupid, slow, unrewarding.. But doable. You don't even get souls with that strat.
That wasn't relevant to the criteria of the question.
Don't really know where to go next (did talk to the snake-thingy at the first bonfire), but which of the three locations is the easiest?
Out of the four bosses four kings is hardest Nito is easiest down in the tomb of the giants.

Nordicus

Going down to the Demon Ruins would imo be the best decision. The enemies there aren't really hard due to familiarity, and the bosses are either the kind where your power doesn't really matter much in the end, or in cases where the bossfight is combat intensive, it's not really that hard.

Ruuppa

That wasn't relevant to the criteria of the question.

Ha, guess not. I suppose it's an almsot viable last resort if you slew Gough for.. Reasons.

Ended up summoning two players to fight Orstein and Smough. Was one of the most epic fight I've ever played in a game (even got to see ghosts from even more players during the battle). Can't help but feel like that's cheating, though.

I really think I'm underpowered. Probably made the wrong choices when leveling up.

Location-wise Tomb of Giants (Nito) is the hardest, followed by Duke's Archives (Seath). Demon Ruins (Chaos) has only easy enemies in its latter parts, but Capras and Tauruses early on. New Londo Ruins (Kings) is really, really short, and is kind of easy as a result.

As for bosses, Seath is somewhat easy, while Nito can be medium-tough. Four Kings are hard, if you can't deal big damage fast. Bed of Chaos is a gimmick-boss, who can be easy as hell, or really really frustrating.

Manu

If I had to rank the bosses post-Lordvessel based on difficulty it would go:

Four Kings > Seath > Nito > Bed of Chaos

Bed of Chaos isn't hard, it's just annoying. You will die a lot but it saves your progress.

And the areas:

Tomb of the Giants > Duke's Archives > New Londo > Lost Izalith

Demon Ruins kinda sucks at first too.

gaming_noob

So I found out I didn't have to play through half of Blighttown (hate this map) from the main entrance from Depths. I beat Quelaag much earlier. I'm finally getting the hang of this and the bosses so far are pretty fair especially if you're able to summon somone to tag along. I must say that I prefer the level designs from earlier in the game than later.

If I had to rank the bosses post-Lordvessel based on difficulty it would go:

Four Kings > Seath > Nito > Bed of Chaos

Bed of Chaos isn't hard, it's just annoying. You will die a lot but it saves your progress.

And the areas:

Tomb of the Giants > Duke's Archives > New Londo > Lost Izalith

Demon Ruins kinda sucks at first too.

I think bed of chaos is "bad" because it involves mechanics with one shot kill penalties

But I like your selection.

So I found out I didn't have to play through half of Blighttown (hate this map) from the main entrance from Depths. I beat Quelaag much earlier. I'm finally getting the hang of this and the bosses so far are pretty fair especially if you're able to summon somone to tag along. I must say that I prefer the level designs from earlier in the game than later.
All the good treasures are in the shanty-town part of Blighttown though. It's worth a homeboning trip through backwards just for the shadow set, Iaito and power within.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I found Nito to be harder than Seath, but that's probably only due to equipment loadout. Nito's goons and his sword dance fucked me up a bunch of times, until I came back later(powered up). lol.

Go the back door entrance in then?

Ash Lake
's connected to
The [Great] Hollow
The Hollow
's connected to the Blighttown

I found Nito to be harder than Seath, but that's probably only due to equipment loadout. Nito's goons and his sword dance fucked me up a bunch of times, until I came back later(powered up). lol.

I beat him on my first try, but in NG, I went in there with the sunlight maggot and was repeatedly torn to pieces by the swords dance before he even got within melee distance. Turns out using cast light, sunlight maggot or the other light creating method will make him spam that move.

You can still get there going the back entrance in from valley of the drakes.

These are the two places I'm talking about. You can only get to the first by running through the swamp at the bottom of Blighttown and you can only get to the second by going through the first. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly and this wiki is wrong, there's no other ways to reach these (optional) places besides going through Blighttown.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/the-great-hollow

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/ash-lake

These are the two places I'm talking about. You can only get to the first by running through the swamp at the bottom of Blighttown and you can only get to the second by going through the first. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly and this wiki is wrong, there's no other ways to reach these (optional) places besides going through Blighttown.

You are talking the mud worms area right? Yeah you only can reach it on the sewer bonfire on blightown

Manu

Man, fuck Kalameet.

At least with Manus I felt like every death I made some progress. Not here. It's like I'm actually doing worse on each try.

Manu

Yeah... it's no use. I can't seem to get him lower than maybe 60%, and that's after two hours of trying.

Seriously considering just skipping to Gwyn and finish the game at once.

Yeah... it's no use. I can't seem to get him lower than maybe 60%, and that's after two hours of trying.

Seriously considering just skipping to Gwyn and finish the game at once.

Kalameet is the hardest boss fight in DS1 for something its an endurance test, I gave up so I asked for summon help cuz he have an insane magic resistance

Manu

I've died over twenty times to Kalameet now. Probably closer to thirty.

I tried reviving to coop and there wasn't one. fucking. white mark. anywhere.

So yeah, I'm this close to saying "fuck it" and just rush to the end.

Booshka

I've died over twenty times to Kalameet now. Probably closer to thirty.

I tried reviving to coop and there wasn't one. fucking. white mark. anywhere.

So yeah, I'm this close to saying "fuck it" and just rush to the end.

What kind of weapon are you using, you should be using something that is pure physical. Also, what platform and Soul Level are you, I'd be willing to help, I have characters of varying Soul Levels on all three platforms, so if you'd like I can give you a hand.

Beat Lightning and the Fatman. Was so happy when I took one down only to have the other one absorb the dead one's powers. Fuck that. After the fight, I took the elevator up and viewed a message that read "amazing chest ahead". I got excited thinking I was in for some good loot. Turns out they were talking about Lady Gwynevere and her assets that were waiting for me in the other room. Got a good laugh out of that.

Now I'm on Bed of Chaos. Some trial and error with this one, like running a gauntlet. But if the rule of three holds true, I should be on the last phase.

Thinking I'll try running through New Londo again after I'm done with Lost Izalith. Having some trouble down there, keep getting lost and running out of the spell that allows me to fight those spectres.

Vico

Went to Demon ruins, according to your suggestions (already went there and beat the ceaseless discharge easily).
Seems like the right choice for now. Thanks.
Spent an hour against the Demon Firesage, which is still pretty long, but, hey, I didn't need to summon anyone, and I always got pretty close to killing him.

Was pretty surprised to see another boss a couple minutes later. This game must have, like, 30 bosses or what? Enemy variety has to be the best I've ever seen.

Will come back to beat him tomorrow.

Mistel

Banned

That's what I've been saying except you can go the back way into blighttown go down the lift and across the swamp into the tree. Without traipsing from the depths entrance down there.

Tarkus

Beat Lightning and the Fatman. Was so happy when I took one down only to have the other one absorb the dead one's powers. Fuck that. After the fight, I took the elevator up and viewed a message that read "amazing chest ahead". I got excited thinking I was in for some good loot. Turns out they were talking about Lady Gwynevere and her assets that were waiting for me in the other room. Got a good laugh out of that.
That's my message! PS3?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Single-handedly justified the Orange Message system.

Manu

What kind of weapon are you using, you should be using something that is pure physical. Also, what platform and Soul Level are you, I'd be willing to help, I have characters of varying Soul Levels on all three platforms, so if you'd like I can give you a hand.

I'm on PS3.

I'm currently using a Chaos Blade +4, I'm SL 78.

I feel like Kalameet is the one fight where being a Wanderer screws you up because every hit takes about half your health.

Headed into the painted world and its a nice change, the tension of not knowing whats next or where to go is nice to have back. Is there only one bonfire?

Manu

Well, I'm gonna try Kalameet for the last time, and if I can't beat him I'll just skip him.

I should be posting my final impressions of the game soon (provided that I beat Gwyn in a reasonable amount of time.)

Wish me luck.

Top Bottom