• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Finally started up Dark Souls 1 again to coop with a friend (was wanting to go back to it anyway, but E3 hype is distracting) after spending time with Dark Souls 2. I feel like my life has just improved greatly going back to Lordran.

I have to say, I took it for granted first play through because I only took the linear path the first time through it, but Undead Burg is one of the most brilliant pieces of level design. So many side passages through houses that circle back to the main path, areas that you can see that you have to figure out how to access, and you are even allowed to peer down into another section that you don't go to until a later section of the game (and of course, there's a sequence break to get there.)

Plus taking back paths to work my way through the game based on what my coop partner was doing so that we would eventually meet up. I had forgotten how great the Darkroot Basin was with how the night haze blanketed the area.

Also, it's so nice to actually be able to parry stuff for once. Dark Souls 2 parrying is massively frustrating.

Ruuppa

I fail to see how they are predictable.
I really can't understand when they'll hit me once, twice or three times.

The spearguys are a lot tougher than the guys with swords, but almost all of them can be avoided after getting the items they guard. Keep your shield up and circle for a backstab, or use them to train your parrying skills. When one with a sword readies it up for a thrust under his shield, you need to dodge away from that; It can't be blocked.

Manu

Okay, so finished Painted World. Wasn't hard.

Then I tried returning to Lost Izalith, made a turn I didn't make before and had to kill
Solaire
. Noooo :(

I purchased the Seal of Artorias and opened the gate to the forest in Darkroot. There seem to be lots of human enemies there, is that a free-for-all PVP arena or something?

I guess only Duke's Archives is left. And the DLC, which I haven't purchased yet. What's the best time to try it?

Mistel

Banned
Okay, so finished Painted World. Wasn't hard.

Then I tried returning to Lost Izalith, made a turn I didn't make before and had to kill
Solaire
. Noooo :(

I purchased the Seal of Artorias and opened the gate to the forest in Darkroot. There seem to be lots of human enemies there, is that a free-for-all PVP arena or something?

I guess only Duke's Archives is left. And the DLC, which I haven't purchased yet. What's the best time to try it?
You need to get an item from the archives for the dlc so now is fine. The humans you say are members of the forest hunters and that area is for PvP purposes as part of the forest hunters and human.

Torraz

Having difficulties with super smough. I can get him to around 50%, but then I inevitably make a mistake that gets me one-shotted. (usually getting side-swiped while rolling). Perhaps I should stop rolling, and do blocking only with the artorias shield?

I'm playing a vit/end/str 2hand / shield / heavy armor build, but for the first tries I have gone for nude, except for shield and sword @ less than 25%.

So far the only move that I can reliably punish is the overhead chop, and sometimes after he does the buttstomp attack.

Any advice? I don't mind dying a lot, but the route to the boss is the single most annoying up until now. I really dislike fighting the giant halberd knights....

Tarkus

Having difficulties with super smough. I can get him to around 50%, but then I inevitably make a mistake that gets me one-shotted. (usually getting side-swiped while rolling). Perhaps I should stop rolling, and do blocking only with the artorias shield?

I'm playing a vit/end/str 2hand / shield / heavy armor build, but for the first tries I have gone for nude, except for shield and sword @ less than 25%.

So far the only move that I can reliably punish is the overhead chop, and sometimes after he does the buttstomp attack.

Any advice? I don't mind dying a lot, but the route to the boss is the single most annoying up until now. I really dislike fighting the giant halberd knights....
The only guy you have to battle from the bonfire to the fog door is the sword knight outside the bonfire room. You could probably run by him too though, but if he contacts you, you've wasted an estus.

Don't use a shield. Like these guys told me, it's all about mobility and 2-handing a weapon. Let him take a swing, charge you, or jump. Then run in when he misses and hit him once, then roll away like crazy. It takes patience. Don't get overzealous when you're hitting him, or he will make you pay.

Torraz

Thanks for the help! By coincidence I learned the mystical defence properties of the broken column stumps. Hiding behind them rendered the attack that constantly killed me (the charge) completely useless. I just had to wait for the jump attack to come up, and to then punish with my own jump attack. I was very happy to get some more mobility / lord vessel. That was an excellent surprise.

I totally have a bad premonition right now.
The Gwyn daughter talked a lot about sunlight. I hope Brolaire does not become my enemy :(

Now that I have fast travel, it would probably be good to return to various spots, and to finish them up? I'm a bit lost at the moment, as I'm not completely sure where to go now.

After kiling ornstein and smough I also looked at some youtube videos and saw that most people's estus flasks are at +3, while mine is still at +1. Should I kill some of the fire keepers, or did I miss an opportunity to get another soul? I revived anastacia at firelink.

Mistel

Banned
Now that I have fast travel, it would probably be good to return to various spots, and to finish them up? I'm a bit lost at the moment, as I'm not completely sure where to go now.

After kiling ornstein and smough I also looked at some youtube videos and saw that most people's estus flasks are at +3, while mine is still at +1. Should I kill some of the fire keepers, or did I miss an opportunity to get another soul? I revived anastacia at firelink.
You should go see the serpent of your choice to find out where to go. You probably missed the blight town keeper soul. The other three are you get without killing a keeper is the parish, dukes archive and new londo.

KaneU

why am I sometimes being summoned as a dark spirit when I leave my white summon sign? I also get immediately returned to my world afterwards.

Vico

They have a predefined moveset which is predictable once observed.

I'll admit it's becoming easier and easier.
However, I really don't know when they'll hit me once, twice or thrice with certain moves. Guess I just need to keep blocking until they do it three times before attacking.

The spearguys are a lot tougher than the guys with swords, but almost all of them can be avoided after getting the items they guard. Keep your shield up and circle for a backstab, or use them to train your parrying skills. When one with a sword readies it up for a thrust under his shield, you need to dodge away from that; It can't be blocked.

Parrying is the one thing I can't get to do.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because looking at videos, I feel like my timing is mostly right.

Anyway, Did everything I could in the castle. I'm now facing Ornstein and Smough. And it's hard.

YoungHav

Banned
I have a maxed out Pyromancer Glove. I read the following on the wikia:

The Pyromancy Flame scales with intelligence. However, the scaling does not increase adjustment for pyromancies, nor does it increase the damage the Pyromancy Flame deals with its Strong Attack.

If I pump up my intelligence states will it make my spells do more damage? I dunno what the above means in relation to scaling and attack damage.

Booshka

I have a maxed out Pyromancer Glove. I read the following on the wikia:

The Pyromancy Flame scales with intelligence. However, the scaling does not increase adjustment for pyromancies, nor does it increase the damage the Pyromancy Flame deals with its Strong Attack.

If I pump up my intelligence states will it make my spells do more damage? I dunno what the above means in relation to scaling and attack damage.

If you want the fist attack of your pyro glove to do more damage then go ahead and level intelligence.
dont, this is terrible

If you want the actual pyromancies to do more damage, then upgrade the glove and use rings/equip that boosts magic damage.

The Flash

Banned
Oh yes. Yes it will.

image.php

1551-1-emoji-rage-faces.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Rolled into the final boss with the Sun Gawd Solaire. Gave the Fire Lord that work.
NVYZ52F.png
Linked the bonfire.

Didn't get Kalameet's tail, so I'll do that this go round. I dunno how the hell you're supposed to get it solo. Seath's was easy mode in comparison.

I'm probably going to switch up weapons. I like magic to much to drop it though. The tracers look awesome and so do some of the greatswords. My Black Bow of Pharis is at 14, so I'm actually gonna try using it for once.

It's crazy how many souls you acquire during NG+ with the serpent ring on.

Booshka

Rolled into the final boss with the Sun Gawd Solaire. Gave the Fire Lord that work.
NVYZ52F.png
Linked the bonfire.

Didn't get Kalameet's tail, so I'll do that this go round. I dunno how the hell you're supposed to get it solo. Seath's was easy mode in comparison.

I'm probably going to switch up weapons. I like magic to much to drop it though. The tracers look awesome and so do some of the greatswords. My Black Bow of Pharis is at 14, so I'm actually gonna try using it for once.

It's crazy how many souls you acquire during NG+ with the serpent ring on.

Pro tip, you have enough time after you beat a boss to quickly swap to Silver Serpent ring and get the Soul payout bonus. That way you can keep more useful rings on while you fight, then have a couple seconds to quickswap to the ring.

Pro-er tip, you can put on Symbol of Avarice helm as well in the same timeframe and get about 40% more souls with the Silver Serpent ring. Get some monster payouts by doing that.

Mistel

Banned
I'll admit it's becoming easier and easier.
However, I really don't know when they'll hit me once, twice or thrice with certain moves. Guess I just need to keep blocking until they do it three times before attacking.
They really do telegraph most of there moves. Practice and you'll be fine with it. Otherwise just turtle up and roll when they do their piercing attack.
I don't know who that is but I'm sure that it'll be glorious
Oh it will be very glorious I guarantee it.

Torraz

You should go see the serpent of your choice to find out where to go. You probably missed the blight town keeper soul. The other three are you get without killing a keeper is the parish, dukes archive and new londo.

Thanks. I did miss the blight town keeper soul

By "serpent" do you mean the big sleeping worm thingy in firelink?

Aurarian

I finished this today and it was amazing. I did the extra content as well, before going towards Gwyn. I'm so glad I picked this up again and stuck through. Can't wait to get my hands on DSII. Hoping it'll go on sale next week during the Steam summer sale.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think I might start an unthinkably evil playthrough today and kill Solaire right when I meet him and steal his identity. And from then on, I will be Solaire of Astora.

Would I be able to get the Praise the Sun pose if I kill him on first meeting? I don't recall when you get that.

I think I might start an unthinkably evil playthrough today and kill Solaire right when I meet him and steal his identity. And from then on, I will be Solaire of Astora.

Would I be able to get the Praise the Sun pose if I kill him on first meeting? I don't recall when you get that.

I think you had to join the sunbros to get the pose

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Not at all you just need to meet the requirements to get accepted and you are fine.

Well the filthy deed is done, and it turns out if you kill Solaire of Astora it prevents you from joining the Sunbros.

I feel this appropriate. A dirty imposter has no business praising the sun anyway.

Never mind, duh, Faith req.

Gaz_RB

Spent a fairly big chunk of the afternoon on the Four Kings, but they finally went down. It's hard to gauge how far away they are in the abyss!

I've not powered through Demon Ruins, taking out all three bosses, and now I'm heading into Lost Izalith. This place is outrageous, but I assume I'm nearing the end since I believe this is the last area I needed to go to for the Lord Vessel.

Mistel

Banned
Spent a fairly big chunk of the afternoon on the Four Kings, but they finally went down. It's hard to gauge how far away they are in the abyss!

I've not powered through Demon Ruins, taking out all three bosses, and now I'm heading into Lost Izalith. This place is outrageous, but I assume I'm nearing the end since I believe this is the last area I needed to go to for the Lord Vessel.
If you've done the crystal caves and tomb of the giants bosses already then yes. Unless you've got the dlc which you might want to start pretty sharpish.

Manu

Just beat Manus. Motherfucket gave me the time of my life. Awesome fight all around.

Also:
Dusk appeared but she looked hurt and just moaned, I interpreted that as the game wanting me to put her out of her misery, so I killed her.
I fucked up, right?

gogosox82

Just beat Manus. Motherfucket gave me the time of my life. Awesome fight all around.

Also:
Dusk appeared but she looked hurt and just moaned, I interpreted that as the game wanting me to put her out of her misery, so I killed her.
I fucked up, right?

Doesn't matter honestly. I think you might miss out on some dialogue but that's it.

Top Bottom