• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

What makes me human? Or is it just like Demon's where you become human after killing a boss, and it lasts until your next death?

You can tell if you're human if you look human and pink. If you look like an icky zombie - you're hollow. Turn human by reverse hollowing at a bonfire, this uses one humanity from the counter top left - referred to as soft or active humanity. When you die, you go hollow (zombified) and this active humanity is recovered in your bloodstain along with souls after you die.

This counter top left is your humanity counter - it's separate from the humanity items in your inventory. Using a humanity item it will increase the counter by one, raising some defense stats and also your item discovery rate.

When human, you can be invaded by other players who will be red or blue phantoms, and also summon other players for co-op in your world by using summon signs you see on the ground. You can put your summon sign down to co-op in other players worlds when human or hollow, no progress is made in your own world.

Tarkus

Ooh thank you, but I need some clarification on this:

What makes me human? Or is it just like Demon's where you become human after killing a boss, and it lasts until your next death?

...and I just didn't notice I was human after killing the Taurus Demon? >_>
You only become human after spending 1 humanity to reverse hollow at bonfires. The only difference in being human is the ability to summon co-op, invade or be invaded (PVP), and kindle bonfires.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Ruuppa

So I'm playing this for the first time (finally!).

Beat Demon's back in February and have been itching to play Dark.

So anyway, I'm up to the Bell Gargoyles and decided to take a break from dying and ask a few questions.

Most importantly, can I get a good explanation of the humanity stuff? Most importantly, what's 'human' and what's 'hollowed'? Is it just the counter being '0' or 'not 0'? And how does kindling fires work? Does 1 humanity make it go from giving 5 flasks to 10? Or do I need to use a bunch and therefore should just kindle 'central' bonfires?

Stat wise I'm focusing on a melee build after feeling magic cheesed Demon's a bit. Been putting stuff into vitality, endurance and strength. Should I be getting strength or do I just need a certain level for weapon equips and then not worry about it (that goes for dex as well)? And same with int/faith, is there a good spell for melee builds where I should level those to the point I can learn it? Like that heal when you die in Demon's which saved me many, many times.

Oh and what the hell are covenants and do I need to worry about them? I said no to the monk guy at Firelink Shrine for the time being.

Basically everything different to Demon's I need a quick rundown on lol :p

A break from dying is always a good thing to take.

You are Human when the Humanity-counter has a white lining, and your guy also looks a lot less like a zombie then. The number on the counter only represents the soft Humanity you have at the moment. Hard Humanity are the Humanity -items, which give you one (or two with Twin Humanity) soft Humanity per use.

You can only use soft Humanity to kindle bonfires or turn Hollow, and soft Humanity also gives you a bonus to defenses (up to 99 Humanity) and Item Discovery (up to 10). Some weapons also gain bonus damage from Humanity, namely Chaos -weapons. This bonus damage caps at 10 Humanity.

Kindling uses 1 Humanity (or 2 if you were Hollow) and raises the amount of Estus you get from that bonfire by 5, but is capped at 10 until you beat a certain boss, after which the cap is 20 Estus. You should mostly kindle bonfires in areas you tend to repeat, or have a tough time in. You do get a ton of Humanity, so don't worry too much about running out of it.

Stat-wise 40 is the recommended cap for most stats, after which the diminishing returns really start hitting you. Some BIG weapons need more Str than this, but you can still use those if you wield them two-handed, which adds half of your Str to your Str. Raising attack-stats (Str/Dex) depends on whether you want to make the weapon elemental or not: You can turn a weapon with high (A/S) Str scaling into an utter powerhouse by investing more points into that stat, at least until Str 40. Turning a weapon elemental completely removes stat-based scaling from the weapon, making it do flat damage according to its upgrade-level. You can do a lot of damage at really low Str/Dex by using elemental weapons, and investing those left-over points to other stats. It depends on what kind of character you want. Note that you cannot use Resins/spells on elemental weapons.

If you don't want to invest into Int/Fai, you can use Pyromancy, which has a lot of good attack and buff -spells. It's quite expensive, but really useful for any kind of character. You only need some Attunement slots and a free weapon/shield slot to use them.

Some useful Pyromancies:
Great Combustion/Black Flame - Extremely useful close-range spell, which gets really powerful as you upgrade your Pyromancy Flame.
Power Within - A big boost in damage and stamina regeneration, at the cost of draining your health slowly.
Fire Orb/Great Fireball/Great Chaos Fireball - Ranged spells, useful.
Fire Storm/Fire Tempest/Chaos Storm - Large AoE damage around you. Somewhat useful, but slow.

Miracles and Sorceries often require quite a big investment in stats to get powerful, with some exceptions.

Miracles:
Tranquil Walk of Peace(Fai 18) - Slows enemies down who are near you, also applies to other players, stopping them from getting away from you. Very useful in PVP.
Vow of Silence(Fai 30) - Stops spellcasting around you, useful. Needs a lot of Faith though.
Magic Barriers(Fai 18/24) - Useful against mages.
Heal(Fai 12) - With 5 casts, this is a real boon in the beginning of the game, with low Faith investment as well. That being said, it's not really worth going Faith just for this.

Sorceries:
Magic Weapons(Int 10/15/25) - Good if you're going to invest in magic, but getting only the lowest of these with the minimum stat-investment is definitely not worth it.

Covenants are like guilds, you should definitely join them. Find one you like, and keep with them, at least until you've gotten all the Covenant rewards. Note that if you don't use the Pardoner to leave a Covenant before switching to another, you gain Sin. At least for most Covenants.

Edit: Good god that took too long to write.

Zwei, Claymore, Estoc, Rapier, Longsword, Quelagg's Fury Sword, all of the Katanas and a few more weapons are all excellent PvP and PvE weapons.

I suggest the Claymore if you are digging the Black Knight Great Sword but want something a little bit faster. For the Claymore, you need to utilize a lot of mixups between 2 handing and 1 handing, dead angles, stunlock combos, running, rolling, backstepping attacks, etc. At first glance a lot of people don't really like it, but once you really learn it, it's an amazing weapon. Longsword is similar to the Claymore in its hidden intricacy, but Longsword takes even more effort to learn and perfect for PvP.

On top of Booshka's great recommendations, I'll add Gold Tracer and the Falchion to the list, both of which have similar movesets as the Furysword. Gold Tracer is vicious and has a high Bleed effect, while Falchion has a good moveset and breaks Poise easily when two-handed, and they're both damn fast.

That being said, they both replace your Kick with a backstep -attack, like all(?) Curved Swords.

Great, thanks for the recommendations!

Hugstable

Banned
Explore Darkroot garden if you didn't already and the graveyard at firelink, Also, go back to the Undead Asylum to get some practice with some tough enemies.

How would I go about getting back to the Undead Asylum seeing as that Crow brought me to Firelink from there? I already explored Darkroot, but not the basin area that was below. I'm about to try lower Undead Burg. Someone mentioned the Depths to me, but I'm not sure where that place is at either. It's a nice change from how they did it in Demon's Souls, instead of a Hub it's just this huge interconnecting world. I horrible at finding stuff sometimes, but it makes the exploration that much better since it's all one seemless world and there are multiple directions I could take at anytime.

How would I go about getting back to the Undead Asylum seeing as that Crow brought me to Firelink from there? I already explored Darkroot, but not the basin area that was below. I'm about to try lower Undead Burg. Someone mentioned the Depths to me, but I'm not sure where that place is at either. It's a nice change from how they did it in Demon's Souls, instead of a Hub it's just this huge interconnecting world. I horrible at finding stuff sometimes, but it makes the exploration that much better since it's all one seemless world and there are multiple directions I could take at anytime.

Just get lost and explore, thats truly a wonderful experience, except the catacombs, dont go there lol

Altazor

a hint for returning to the Asylum:
there's a nest in Firelink Shrine somewhere. Explore a bit and you'll find it. Don't be afraid of... taking a leap of faith

As for the Depths, you need to have a key to open the passage to that area. Explore the lower Undead Burg and you'll know pretty clearly what to do.

Tarkus

I hope I can describe this clearly.
From firelink, go to the elevator that takes you to up to the Undead Parish. Instead of riding it all the way up, turn around and run towards the wall on the firelink side as you're going up. There will be an opening to a ledge about halfway up. From the ledge, go to the right and you'll a section of land sticking out from under the crow's nest. It's tricky but roll onto it. Run up skinny strip of grass to a spiral staircase. The nest is at the top. Get in nest and make yourself into a ball.
Edit: is this spoiler worthy?

Hugstable

Banned
I hope I can describe this clearly.
From firelink, go to the elevator that takes you to up to the Undead Parish. Instead of riding it all the way up, turn around and run towards the wall on the firelink side as you're going up. There will be an opening to a ledge about halfway up. From the ledge, go to the right and you'll a section of land sticking out from under the crow's nest. It's tricky but roll onto it. Run up skinny strip of grass to a spiral staircase. The nest is at the top. Get in nest and make yourself into a ball.
Edit: is this spoiler worthy?

NO WAY! I've always thought about making that jump since it's just there... but I never really went for it. Just beat the Capra Demon right now, holy crap was that a tense fight.

Hi Dark Souls GAF! Wanted to admit something - I love the game, but I just rage-quitted it. Also, I'll spoiler tag boss talk, so let me know if that's ok, or can I leave it without spoiler tags in the future. So...

I cleared some parts of Undead Burg (I rang the bell!), better part of Darkroot Garden (including
Moonlight Butterfly, but not Sif, left him for later
, also, I killed those 3
crazy cats
, do they respawn when I go back there?), and now I'm in the Catacombs. And man is this place H A R D. I managed to clear it and beat better part of it (I killed
Pinwheel on my first try! Reminded me of that False Idol fight from Demon's Souls
), and I lost almost an hour or two on that damn black thing without a leg and with that huge tail. Didn't have any problems with his "twin" in that hallway that leads to Darkroot Garden, but this time, fighting him in that narrow hallway was much, much harder for me. And now I arrived at the Tomb of Giants - and it seems even harder than Catacombs :( Gotta take a break now, and come back to it later. Any advices for that area? Also, did I clear whole Catacombs if I managed to get to the Tomb?

Also, how the hell should I approach that giant
Hydra-like thing
in the lake in Darkroot Basin? I tried zig-zagging my way to it, but I just can't make it. Or should I just leave it for later? And not to mention Valley of Drakes, I keep hitting those blue drakes, but my damage outpot seems too low for them, am I doing something wrong?

Manu

Hydra-like thing
in the lake in Darkroot Basin? I tried zig-zagging my way to it, but I just can't make it.

The Hydra is a lot easier than some of the enemies you've killed so far.

Just avoid his beams and bait his charge attack. Once he throws his heads at you you can just hit them and cut them one by one.

Alternatively, just cheese it from afar with arrows or pyromancy.

Mistel

Banned
And not to mention Valley of Drakes, I keep hitting those blue drakes, but my damage output seems too low for them, am I doing something wrong?
You can break their poise then stunlock them that's one way of doing it they have quite high health or you can inflict bleed on them. Or just shoot them with poison arrows from afar and they drop like flies.

Tarkus

Hi Dark Souls GAF! Wanted to admit something - I love the game, but I just rage-quitted it. Also, I'll spoiler tag boss talk, so let me know if that's ok, or can I leave it without spoiler tags in the future. So...

I cleared some parts of Undead Burg (I rang the bell!), better part of Darkroot Garden (including
, also, I killed those 3
crazy cats
, do they respawn when I go back there?), and now I'm in the Catacombs. And man is this place H A R D. I managed to clear it and beat better part of it (I killed
Pinwheel on my first try! Reminded me of that False Idol fight from Demon's Souls
), and I lost almost an hour or two on that damn black thing without a leg and with that huge tail. Didn't have any problems with his "twin" in that hallway that leads to Darkroot Garden, but this time, fighting him in that narrow hallway was much, much harder for me. And now I arrived at the Tomb of Giants - and it seems even harder than Catacombs :( Gotta take a break now, and come back to it later. Any advices for that area? Also, did I clear whole Catacombs if I managed to get to the Tomb?

Hydra-like thing
in the lake in Darkroot Basin? I tried zig-zagging my way to it, but I just can't make it. Or should I just leave it for later? And not to mention Valley of Drakes, I keep hitting those blue drakes, but my damage outpot seems too low for them, am I doing something wrong?
Come back to all the places you named later. I hope Pinwheel didn't give you a false sense difficulty.
He's the biggest pushover in the game.
It sounds like you need to find lower Undead Burg. You could bypass a small part of the game at this point, but I don't recommend it.

, also, I killed those 3
crazy cats

Hydra-like thing
Firstly, well done for braving it in Tomb of the Giants this early in the game - the bad news is, you're there too early. There's part of the main quest that you need to do in order to advance in certain areas which will be blocked off by orange fog that cannot be passed until they are removed in the main quest. By the areas you mentioned, it doesn't sound like you're anywhere near that part of the game yet, so if you're still in the Tomb of Giants, you're going to have to backtrack through the Catacombs to Firelink in order to continue.

The Titanite Demon in the Catacombs is a beefed up version, the one near the blacksmith in Darkroot is a lot easier, so don't worry that you found it harder to kill :)

The Hydra is quite a fun easy boss, once you know how to handle it (like all bosses, right!) Once you get close enough to it, it will stop using magic and do melee attacks with it's heads, cut them off one by one as they come down and it's quite a simple boss to kill as long as you don't fall off the ledge in the water. Stay close with a decent 100% physical block shield and you should be able to kill it without too much trouble. I find the area in front of the ladder the easiest place to kill it, but most people like to fight it near where the treasure is - also the tree and rock just there give shelter from the magic blasts and allow you to cheese with arrows if you like, find the sweetspot where the splash from the magic doesn't hit you and it's easy street - but that's boring right, cut those heads off! :p

Ahh, so many answers! Thanks a lot for the tips guys/gals! I think I'll leave Tomb of Giants for later then (same with Valley of Drakes), and I'll go back to Darkroot Basin to fight the Hydra. And no, I don't want to cheese my way through the game. I don't even use the bow and arrows at all, since I did use it a lot in Demon's Souls, and found it too cheap, so of course I'll go and cut the Hydra's heads :D

Btw, what is poise anyways? I found the Wolf Ring, and it says it raises my poise, but I have no idea what it is (didn't see it in the stats screen; I'd look for it in the manual, but manual sucks, unlike that one for Demon's Souls). Also, what do you mean with that "break their poise then stunlock them"? I recall doing something (I have no idea what tho) that managed to stun them for couple of seconds, but they'd just go back to shooting lightning and biting my ass couple of seconds later. And I don't have anything that blocks lightning for more than 40-50% (Gargoyle's Shield), so it hurts. A lot.

So, anyways, I'll go and fight the Hydra now, and then look for Lower Undead Burg. (is that accessed from the Darkroot Basin? I unlocked the door to the Undead Something Something Tower, where that tough guy waits for me, gotta try and fight him, since he scared me when I fought him for the first time. I can avoid him here and there, but he one shots me when he uses that mace/club with both hands.

And yeah, I guessed that Pinwheel was easy, but then again, I think I was quite good for a first time player in Demon's Souls; managed to beat many of the bosses there on my first try, after I learned how to play the game (Adjudicator, Old Monk, Maneater, Penetrator (with help from Biorr), Fool's Idol and Dirty Colossus). Granted, I did play it in neutral world balance, but then again, I didn't have many problems with some of other notorious bosses (Flamelurker, for example). But, enough of Demon's Souls talk :D

P.S. fuck those skeletons that use those wheels. They annoyed me so much when I tried to access Tomb of Giants from the Catacombs.

Ruuppa

Btw, what is poise anyways? I found the Wolf Ring, and it says it raises my poise, but I have no idea what it is (didn't see it in the stats screen; I'd look for it in the manual, but manual sucks, unlike that one for Demon's Souls). Also, what do you mean with that "break their poise then stunlock them"? I recall doing something (I have no idea what tho) that managed to stun them for couple of seconds, but they'd just go back to shooting lightning and biting my ass couple of seconds later. And I don't have anything that blocks lightning for more than 40-50% (Gargoyle's Shield), so it hurts. A lot.

Poise is the stat that stops you from getting staggered when you get hit. This also applies to enemies. The bigger your weapon, the easier enemies stagger when they get hit. Poise damage persists for a little while, and this is why you can stagger enemies with repeated attacks from light weapons.

With 0 Poise, you get staggered by any attack, leaving you open to a follow up attack. Simply using the Wolf Ring gives you enough Poise to last you through the whole game, although if you want good Poise for PVP you should aim for 53 Poise.

Tarkus

So, anyways, I'll go and fight the Hydra now, and then look for Lower Undead Burg. (is that accessed from the Darkroot Basin? I unlocked the door to the Undead Something Something Tower, where that tough guy waits for me, gotta try and fight him, since he scared me when I fought him for the first time. I can avoid him here and there, but he one shots me when he uses that mace/club with both hands.
I'll take this one. That badass is Havel the Rock. He's a challenging and very rewarding fight. You gotta use great technique with him for melee. Go under 25% carry weight and two hand the best weapon you have for your stats. Don't worry about using a shield or armor even, since he will one shot you regardless.
Lower Undead Burg is not in Havel's tower. Try to remember seeing a door (actually there's two) that was locked when you were in Undead Burg. You got the basement key from the Undead Parish.

Poise is the stat that stops you from getting staggered when you get hit. This also applies to enemies. The bigger your weapon, the easier enemies stagger when they get hit. Poise damage persists for a little while, and this is why you can stagger enemies with repeated attacks from light weapons.

With 0 Poise, you get staggered by any attack, leaving you open to a follow up attack. Simply using the Wolf Ring gives you enough Poise to last you through the whole game, although if you want good Poise for PVP you should aim for 53 Poise.
Ah, that helps a lot, thanks! I'll avoid PVP for now, so I'll just stick with my Wolf Ring. But, while you're at it - where can I see how high my poise is? Somewhere in the stat screen? (Sorry if it's a stupid question, I didn't look hard at it to be honest, but I did look for it on the main stats list and didn't see it).
I'll take this one. That badass is Havel the Rock. He's a challenging and very rewarding fight. You gotta use great technique with him for melee. Go under 25% carry weight and two hand the best weapon you have for your stats. Don't worry about using a shield or armor even, since he will one shot you regardless.
Lower Undead Burg is not in Havel's tower. Try to remember seeing a door (actually there's two) that was locked when you were in Undead Burg. You got the key from the Gargoyles.
Oh, thanks a lot! Actually, that's how I fought my second Titanite Demon (although, I did use my shield in that fight). Gotta look for that door, since I don't remember it, but It'll be a pleasure to explore the Burg some more, now that I'm more powerful, one shotting many of the enemies there :)

Ah, that helps a lot, thanks! I'll avoid PVP for now, so I'll just stick with my Wolf Ring. But, while you're at it - where can I see how high my poise is? Somewhere in the stat screen? (Sorry if it's a stupid question, I didn't look hard at it to be honest, but I did look for it on the main stats list and didn't see it).

Oh, thanks a lot! Actually, that's how I fought my second Titanite Demon (although, I did use my shield in that fight). Gotta look for that door, since I don't remember it, but It'll be a pleasure to explore the Burg some more, now that I'm more powerful, one shotting many of the enemies there :)

In your character status in that tiny meny screen when you press start.

There are two important npcs in that area one for sorcerers and the other for pyromancers

gaming_noob

I'm currently at level 60-61 and I've beat:

Sens Fortress (an AI summon did most ofthe work)
Anor Londo (thanks to 2 player summons)
Catacombs

I'm going back to Darkroot Basin to defeat that Wolf boss.
Where do I go next? The game seems to have opened up immensely and I'm not sure where to go. I read that I shouldn't play through Tomb of Giants yet as it's hard. Is New Londo Ruins the next logical area to play through?

I am also planning to save Solaire. I've already given the Chaos Convenant 30 humanity points and I just spoke to Solaire in Anor Londo.

Ruuppa

I'm currently at level 60-61 and I've beat:

Sens Fortress (an AI summon did most ofthe work)
Anor Londo (thanks to 2 player summons)
Catacombs

I'm going back to Darkroot Basin to defeat that Wolf boss.
Where do I go next? The game seems to have opened up immensely and I'm not sure where to go. I read that I shouldn't play through Tomb of Giants yet as it's hard. Is New Londo Ruins the next logical area to play through?

I am also planning to save Solaire. I've already given the Chaos Convenant 30 humanity points and I just spoke to Solaire in Anor Londo.

New Londo Ruins is a great place to go after opening the areas up, since you get the best upgrade Ember from there. Just avoid the boss if you haven't beaten Sif yet.

You can go to Duke's Archives for a lot of good loot and an extra Firekeeper Soul. The area is pretty hard, but the boss at the end of it isn't that bad.

If you want a lesser challenge, you can go to the Painted World via the giant painting in Anor Londo,
in the chapel above the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire.
There are some useful items there, as well as an optional boss.

Mistel

Banned
he game seems to have opened up immensely and I'm not sure where to go. I read that I shouldn't play through Tomb of Giants yet as it's hard. Is New Londo Ruins the next logical area to play through?

Tomb of the giants isn't too difficult after the second bonfire but as you are saving solaire just go to the demon ruins and do that. If you don't want to get the final normal upgrade ember from New londo and get your weapon to plus 15 first.

Havel is one of the easiest parrying tutors in the game, the other being the Spear/Shield Hollows, and the Black Knight in the Burg. Try it out.

Chaining backstabs on Havel is super unreilable, because he'll sometimes bullshit with a quick turn garbage. Just parry that dude.

Havel is one of the easiest parrying tutors in the game, the other being the Spear/Shield Hollows, and the Black Knight in the Burg. Try it out.

Chaining backstabs on Havel is super unreilable, because he'll sometimes bullshit with a quick turn garbage. Just parry that dude.

Really? He was backstab fodder for me.

Ruuppa

Parrying Havel is just annoying, since he OHKO's you if you fail and the run to him is a bore. Much easier to rollstab rollstab rollstab.. For 10 minutes.

And I don't have anything that blocks lightning for more than 40-50% (Gargoyle's Shield), so it hurts. A lot.
Wooden shields are good for blocking lightning. The wood shield you find in Undead Burg just before the bonfire should have decent lightning defense, and 90% physical too, which obviously isn't the best but still high, a nice secondary/situational shield.

Agreed. Those big slow swings of his are very easy to see coming and satisfying to parry. Of course training on him could be annoying since 1 splat and you're dead! Those spear hollows are a good suggestion. You can force them to attack instead of turtling by hitting their shield, they will always attack after 1 or 2 hits.

Altazor

I think this was my strategy against Havel:

eAea3.gif

only a bit more effective, considering I killed him.

Parrying Havel is just annoying, since he OHKO's you if you fail and the run to him is a bore. Much easier to rollstab rollstab rollstab.. For 10 minutes.
Me three. Don't lock on Beeblebrox.
Don't lock on? :O I've been using lock on for the entire game so far, I think I have no idea how to fight without it :D Especially if I have to fight him for 10 minutes...

But, anyways, I've skipped him for now, since I found a way to Depths (is that Lower Undead Burg that you people were telling me about?). I killed Capra Demon on my first try, wasn't a problem at all, and yet I remember people describing him as something dangerous. Was I over-leveled for that fight? I'm somewhere around level 30, and although I'm glad when I beat some of the bosses on my first try, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on something :/ I killed him using thrust attacks with my... D-something sword with basic +5 upgrade (didn't switch it to my only other upgrade option, which is Divine), and I circled around him, climbing those stairs, and jumping down from them, while he was following me.

And yay, thanks to the game's framerate on PS3 and my fear of the unknown, I got cursed in the Depths, from those creepy-eyed things. I'm too scared to go to New Londo (that's that gloomy town with ghosts, under the Firelink Shrine, right?), and I have no idea how to get that item which i can use to remove the curse. And now I'm fighting Gaping Dragon with half of my health, can't wait to figure this fight out. And this monster looks amazing - seeing it on screenshots is one thing, but meeting it face to face is something else.
Wooden shields are good for blocking lightning. The wood shield you find in Undead Burg just before the bonfire should have decent lightning defense, and 90% physical too, which obviously isn't the best but still high, a nice secondary/situational shield.

Agreed. Those big slow swings of his are very easy to see coming and satisfying to parry. Of course training on him could be annoying since 1 splat and you're dead! Those spear hollows are a good suggestion. You can force them to attack instead of turtling by hitting their shield, they will always attack after 1 or 2 hits.
Thanks for the shield suggestion! And which hollows would those be? Those standard shield+spear enemies that you meet in the Undead Burg? (yeah, I'm still a big newbie here, so I have to ask if those are called hollows :|)

Altazor

Ugh whatever these reptile things are in the depths... i hate them. I fell down somewhere, get ganged up on.. dead.

those damned basilisks, man. I tell you, I was nervous as hell the first time I went through the depths. Especially because I fell down in hte labyrinth and got assaulted by those fucking basilisks and AWWWW SHIT.

When I finally reached the boss (and opened the shortcut to the bonfire) I was relieved. My hands were all sweaty and shaking. Dark Souls, man! Nothing quite like it.

Hugstable

Banned
those damned basilisks, man. I tell you, I was nervous as hell the first time I went through the depths. Especially because I fell down in hte labyrinth and got assaulted by those fucking basilisks and AWWWW SHIT.

When I finally reached the boss (and opened the shortcut to the bonfire) I was relieved. My hands were all sweaty and shaking. Dark Souls, man! Nothing quite like it.

Seriously! It was so tense I just started booking it til I got surrounded by about 3 or 4 of them, and them were just all puking dust and pouncing on me :(. About to make my second trip back through, then I'll probably hit up the Northern Undead Asylum again. Especially my fight against the Capra Demon, I got down to 0 flasks and it was a tense fight the whole time. I haven't had that kind of feeling when playing a video game in a long time.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Yea, I'm nervous around them unless I'm using the cursebite ring and correct garments. Then I just taunt in their clouds of death and keep it moving. lol.

I did make a beeline to New Londo when they killed me the first time.

Tarkus

Ugh whatever these reptile things are in the depths... i hate them. I fell down somewhere, get ganged up on.. dead.
Just don't get caught in front them when they spew. Its well-telegraphed because of its buildup. They have no physical attack and die with one hit of a decent weapon. It doesn't hurt you when they jump at you. Keep rolling away from the clouds.
Thats a great area for souls and eyes of the dead

Forgetting Oswald of Carim? He sells them too. The female merchant is in the firelink shrine undead burg aqueduct.
That Oswald character is one strange dude, second only to Logan in weirdness.

Altazor

Seriously! It was so tense I just started booking it til I got surrounded by about 3 or 4 of them, and them were just all puking dust and pouncing on me :(. About to make my second trip back through, then I'll probably hit up the Northern Undead Asylum again. Especially my fight against the Capra Demon, I got down to 0 flasks and it was a tense fight the whole time. I haven't had that kind of feeling when playing a video game in a long time.

I wish thee luck in thine future adventures in the Northern Undead Asylum. And whenever you beat a hard boss in DS is such a relief. Last year, when I first started playing DS, I got stuck in the Taurus Demon fight for, like, a month. I was really unable to progress. One day, I did and I felt like celebrating like mad. It meant A LOT to me in that moment.
Actually, in terms of how much time I spent TRYING to beat a boss, Taurus Demon is by far the toughest one I ever encountered. Even the hardest, latter bosses, gave me less trouble, heh.

Yea, I'm nervous around them unless I'm using the cursebite ring and correct garments. Then I just taunt in their clouds of death and keep it moving. lol.

I did make a beeline to New Londo when they killed me the first time.

Good thing they're quite easy to kill. It's just that their cloud attack takes you by surprise the first time and getting cursed is quite devastating, so you're almost conditioned to fear them by the next time you meet them.

Now, here's a "mindblowing" thing about the basilisks. Those giant, yellowish bulbs in their heads? Those aren't their eyes.

Hugstable

Banned
I wish thee luck in thine future adventures in the Northern Undead Asylum. And whenever you beat a hard boss in DS is such a relief. Last year, when I first started playing DS, I got stuck in the Taurus Demon fight for, like, a month. I was really unable to progress. One day, I did and I felt like celebrating like mad. It meant A LOT to me in that moment.
Actually, in terms of how much time I spent TRYING to beat a boss, Taurus Demon is by far the toughest one I ever encountered. Even the hardest, latter bosses, gave me less trouble, heh.

Good thing they're quite easy to kill. It's just that their cloud attack takes you by surprise the first time and getting cursed is quite devastating, so you're almost conditioned to fear them by the next time you meet them.

Now, here's a "mindblowing" thing about the basilisks. Those giant, yellowish bulbs in their heads? Those aren't their eyes.

Haha my most tense fight of the series so far still has to be the Flamelurker fight from Demon's for me. Dude was just fast as hell, especially near the end. That's when I learned how to roll dodge perfectly.

Top Bottom