• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Altazor

Haha my most tense fight of the series so far still has to be the Flamelurker fight from Demon's for me. Dude was just fast as hell, especially near the end. That's when I learned how to roll dodge perfectly.

I don't have a PS3 so I haven't played Demon's, regrettably :(

Some day I will. I must.

Yeah I have trouble with Taurus Demon as well. I was cooping today and over Skype I was told "meet me in front of the fog gate where I'll put a sign, I'm sure you can handle the taurus demon on your own."

I was fed crow.

Altazor

Good thing about Taurus Demon is that (minor spoiler about enemies in a certain area you haven't reached yet)
you'll fight it again and again as a normal enemy in Demon Ruins and you're gonna be so powerful when you reach that point you're gonna leave them #rekt

Manu

Yeah I have trouble with Taurus Demon as well. I was cooping today and over Skype I was told "meet me in front of the fog gate where I'll put a sign, I'm sure you can handle the taurus demon on your own."

I was fed crow.

Two words: Plunge attack.

Longer explanation:
climb the tower where the archers were, wait for Taurus Demon to follow you, drop on him attacking. Run to the other end, wait for him to catch up, avoid him, climb the tower again, drop on him... you get the idea.

Two words: Plunge attack.

Longer explanation:
climb the tower where the archers were, wait for Taurus Demon to follow you, drop on him attacking. Run to the other end, wait for him to catch up, avoid him, climb the tower again, drop on him... you get the idea.

Thsi was the one in Demon Ruins, AKA the one I was supposed to #rekt.

I am really bad.

Altazor

Does anybody know where or if I can farm titanite slab?

IIRC, you can farm them from Darkwraith enemies in New Londo. It's a very rare drop, though, so be prepared to spend a lot of time killing those bastards. According to wikidot: "your Item Discovery should be at 410. Have 10 "loose" Humanity and equip Covetous Gold Serpent Ring or Symbol of Avarice."

Tarkus

IIRC, you can farm them from Darkwraith enemies in New Londo. It's a very rare drop, though, so be prepared to spend a lot of time killing those bastards. According to wikidot: "your Item Discovery should be at 410. Have 10 "loose" Humanity and equip Covetous Gold Serpent Ring or Symbol of Avarice."
Thanks!

GorillaJu

Still on my first play through so I'm not reading much here in order to stay unspoiled but I'd just like to voice an opinion that I think may be unique and perhaps no one in this thread has ever voiced before.

Fuck Blighttown.

GRIP

Bro, the Darkwraiths have a really low drop rate of Slabs even with full item discovery. I mean low. Like, it could take hours just to get one drop. I really wouldn't suggest you waste your time hoping for a drop and just get the regular pick ups the post above mentioned.

Edit: the crystal lizards in the great hollow can drop them as well.

Hugstable

Banned
Still on my first play through so I'm not reading much here in order to stay unspoiled but I'd just like to voice an opinion that I think may be unique and perhaps no one in this thread has ever voiced before.

Fuck Blighttown.

On my first playthrough as well. I'm getting by only on the bits and tips I get on Gaf, so I've been going pretty dark at the game as well. This is one hell of an experience so far.

Tarkus

Bro, the Darkwraiths have a really low drop rate of Slabs even with full item discovery. I mean low. Like, it could take hours just to get one drop. I really wouldn't suggest you waste your time hoping for a drop and just get the regular pick ups the post above mentioned.

Edit: the crystal lizards in the great hollow can drop them as well.
Very rare drop rate is the understatement of the year. I got one in about 1.5 hours of farming and I was lucky apparently.

Smidget

I still hate you Gywn Lord of Cinder lol I didn't do the thing where I save Soltaire, so I'm doing it solo, just running around the rocks... get him down to 1/3rd health and then he launches a bunch in a row and I cannot keep my endurance up :/ I'll get there, just had to rage quit after 3 losses. Takes forever to get to him :/

Tarkus

I'm on PC :(. I just got my ass handed to me. I did not expect..... that... thing!!
Two hand the weapon and take out the tail without locking on. Get 3 hits and run to opposite end of the area. It's fairly easy, you'll figure out the rest. Remember, with this guy, locking on is pointless.

Altazor

I'm on PC :(. I just got my ass handed to me. I did not expect..... that... thing!!

Attack its tail FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE
actually, it's just to get a weapon. But don't hit near the base of the tail, you have to hit it near the middle

If you're melee-based, use gold pine resin to add lightning to your weapon. If you're faith based, use lightning miracles.

EDIT: Also, yes, as SourShoes said: 2-hand your weapon. Don't lock-on. Run around. Its attacks are quite slow.

Tarkus

Attack its tail FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE
actually, it's just to get a weapon. But don't hit near the base of the tail, you have to hit it near the middle

If you're melee-based, use gold pine resin to add lightning to your weapon. If you're faith based, use lightning miracles.
His tail can do major damage when he turns. This is a good co op boss. I'm summoned every 10 mins tonight

About to fight the boss of the depths. Wish me luck!.. I'm probably gonna die -_-

Summon brolaire!
And be sure to kill the channeler before facing the boss

He is in one of the pillars before the fog gate

EDIT: Try to cut its tail, its gives you the most hilarious weapon for PVP

Hugstable

Banned
Already beat the Channeler beforehand. (I usually explore places for a long ass time making sure I got everything) Just beat the boss on my second attempt, wasn't too bad once I got his tail off. Thanks for the help everyone :D

Skyr

I wish thee luck in thine future adventures in the Northern Undead Asylum. And whenever you beat a hard boss in DS is such a relief. Last year, when I first started playing DS, I got stuck in the Taurus Demon fight for, like, a month. I was really unable to progress. One day, I did and I felt like celebrating like mad. It meant A LOT to me in that moment.
Actually, in terms of how much time I spent TRYING to beat a boss, Taurus Demon is by far the toughest one I ever encountered. Even the hardest, latter bosses, gave me less trouble, heh.

Good thing they're quite easy to kill. It's just that their cloud attack takes you by surprise the first time and getting cursed is quite devastating, so you're almost conditioned to fear them by the next time you meet them.

Now, here's a "mindblowing" thing about the basilisks. Those giant, yellowish bulbs in their heads? Those aren't their eyes.

Wow i can't believe that people are having trouble to beat the Taurus demon.
I beat him yesterday on my second attempt,
just right after i did discover that you could climb the tower right next to the entrance
So it took me just about 4-5 jump attacks to defeat him.

Before that tho I needed like 50 attempts to defeat the guy with the giant sword in the basement of the tower.
Took me forever to grind him with a speer. I don't know if I even was supposed to fight him yet but I just couldn't let off :)

I just can't seem to find any opportunities to attack once the second Bell Gargoyle shows up. How can I separate them?

Edit: Google tells me if I go human form I can summon some NPC's to help me, is that cheating? >_>

I am just at Blighttown but spent quite a while in the Catacombs after the Gargoyles because I missed the turn for the blacksmith. So far I have put most level ups into endurance so I can use all the equipment I found, with some points in strength and dexterity. I have not bothered with the other stats but upgraded my pyromancy powers.
I have been using the Gargoyle Halberd since I got it and have upgraded to +5 and then to the Raw G.H.

So am I going horribly wrong anywhere? Should I have got a better weapon by now? Should I be leveling up into something other than a marathon runner? Also, I dont really get covenents. I joined the one in the woods to be a forest guardian but... meh. Do they matter much?

I just can't seem to find any opportunities to attack once the second Bell Gargoyle shows up. How can I separate them?

Edit: Google tells me if I go human form I can summon some NPC's to help me, is that cheating? >_>

The Gargoyles gave me the most trouble so far. Use the item that puts lightning on your weapon and try to kill the first one before the second shows up. Otherwise the best opening is when one breaths fire, you may have to get a little burnt.

Ruuppa

The Gargoyles are the first boss that a new player usually needs a summon, since there are two of them. Summon away, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's really helpful to summon other people; It keeps the community healthy.

I am just at Blighttown but spent quite a while in the Catacombs after the Gargoyles because I missed the turn for the blacksmith. So far I have put most level ups into endurance so I can use all the equipment I found, with some points in strength and dexterity. I have not bothered with the other stats but upgraded my pyromancy powers.
I have been using the Gargoyle Halberd since I got it and have upgraded to +5 and then to the Raw G.H.

So am I going horribly wrong anywhere? Should I have got a better weapon by now? Should I be leveling up into something other than a marathon runner? Also, I dont really get covenents. I joined the one in the woods to be a forest guardian but... meh. Do they matter much?

Gargoyle Halberd is an excellent weapon, but making it Raw lowers the stat-scaling of it. Unless you're using a weapon with just the bare minimum stats, it's never a good idea to turn it Raw. Luckily, you can return it to normal +5 at any Blacksmith.

The Gargoyles are the first boss that a new player usually needs a summon, since there are two of them. Summon away, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's really helpful to summon other people; It keeps the community healthy.

Gargoyle Halberd is an excellent weapon, but making it Raw lowers the stat-scaling of it. Unless you're using a weapon with just the bare minimum stats, it's never a good idea to turn it Raw. Luckily, you can return it to normal +5 at any Blacksmith.

Thanks. I was a bit unsure on how to upgrade when I got to +5. I had the option of a magic version, the Raw one and +6 (I think). Magic seemed bad as I have low INT and Raw did more damage than +6. Are there other upgrade paths that I will miss if I go for +6 now?

Mistel

Banned
Are there other upgrade paths that I will miss if I go for +6 now?
You can't miss them in a manner of speaking as you cam revert your weapons back to +5 if you want to make it to the others.

Upgrade wise there's: fire, chaos, divine, occult, lightning, and crystal. Think that's all of them.

You can't miss them in a manner of speaking as you cam revert your weapons back to +5 if you want to make it to the others.

Upgrade wise there's: fire, chaos, divine, occult, lightning, and crystal. Think that's all of them.

Many thanks. I assume reverting back to +5 means you lose all the shards and souls you put in?
Have I missed any of the items required for the other upgrade paths? Im in Blight town at the moment.

Albo

those damned basilisks, man. I tell you, I was nervous as hell the first time I went through the depths. Especially because I fell down in hte labyrinth and got assaulted by those fucking basilisks and AWWWW SHIT.

When I finally reached the boss (and opened the shortcut to the bonfire) I was relieved. My hands were all sweaty and shaking. Dark Souls, man! Nothing quite like it.

I had on of the scariest gaming experiences ever in the depths. My curiosity to explore just led me deeper and deeper in the depths after I thought it was a good idea to jump down the
hidden hole behind the barrels in the kitchen instead of going to safe bonfire to spend my many souls (20K+) I'd collected after killing the capra demon. With little health, I was terrified of dying , luckily I had enough arrows to kill the giant rat at least, but then again for some reason I thought jumping down the holes in the sewer hallways would lead me to the exit, how wrong I was.

As soon as I came face to face with the basilisks my heart was pounding and I was dreading losing my souls. I had no idea what they were going to do, but they looked terrifying, so I just ran and ran away in any direction from them only to get trapped in the tiny dead end room where the evil eye ring is with 5 or so basilisk's now blocking the exit through the narrow hallway. Like a sitting tense duck waiting for my inevitable death, I eventually died but I was not cursed for some reason, even thought they were all right right next to me filling this small room completely with gas (I think luckily for me they have melee attacks too).
It took a while to recover from that, but I decided to give in and peak online to get help on this area so I could recover my souls back in this maze of death as I really did not want to lose my many souls again. It was even scarier this time considering they'd be gone if I died again, but I managed to recover them and escape the depths, though it such a tense, but rewarding experience, even with help and I loved every minute of it.

After arriving in anor londo yesterday, I decided to do some backtracking so I ventured through the tomb of giants, and that almost rivaled my scary time in the depths and in sen's fortress. This game is filled with incredible events like these.

I didn't mind blighttown surprisingly after reading people's thoughts on forums, it was uncomfortable but still enjoyable . The
poison darts were annoying at first, as was the poison swamp but I was fortunate enough to have enough moss clumps, arrows and the rusted iron ring to get me through without much hassle once I figured out how to make use of them.
The claustrophobic vertical of the level was pretty neat, as was the design and then it opens up once you come down to the swamp. Finding the bonfire was still a great relief, though it always is in this game.

Blighttown isn't that bad (design wise). The first part can be a bit confusing, but the second part (the swamps) is straightforward.

By the way, if someone need help with Quelaag (PS3 version) just let me know.

Many thanks. I assume reverting back to +5 means you lose all the shards and souls you put in?
Have I missed any of the items required for the other upgrade paths? Im in Blight town at the moment.

Yes, if you revert, you loose the materials and souls.

In Blighttown, (swamps) you can farm Green Titanite Shards. It's a drop from Giant Leeches. The Green Titanite Shards can be used to upgrade fire, magic and divine weapons to +5.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Yeah I had 2 encounters with those basilisks and that was enough. Not only are they creepy looking, I heard so much before playing the game about how bad getting cursed was - just made the encounters that much more intense. First time I found their little area wasn't so bad, because it was during my original exploration of the Depths, at my very slow deliberate pace. Pretty much lured them into 1v1 battles. But second time I was in those narrow channels with flowing water up top, and I missed a jump over a hole - and was deposited in the middle of a swarm of them. Haha I freaked out but managed to survive and avoid the curse.

I stocked up on curse fixing items. As mentioned, Oswald at the bell tower sells them, as does the female merchant in the waterway to Firelink. Note, they are pricey from the merchant, but Oswald sells them at half the price. So may be worth back-tracking. I bought all of Oswald's supply, seems he has a limited quantity.

I'm still working on Blighttown. Only get to play a few hours a week, so it takes awhile. Poison darts were a pain, is that a respawning enemy? I killed one. Basically working my way outwards from the bonfire early in Blighttown. But kind of hung up trying to get to a couple pillage-able corpses that I can see, but haven't been able to get to yet. lol, I hate leaving things behind, don't want to miss any loot.

Altazor

I'm still working on Blighttown. Only get to play a few hours a week, so it takes awhile. Poison darts were a pain, is that a respawning enemy? I killed one. Basically working my way outwards from the bonfire early in Blighttown. But kind of hung up trying to get to a couple pillage-able corpses that I can see, but haven't been able to get to yet. lol, I hate leaving things behind, don't want to miss any loot.

thankfully NO. Would've been hellish if they were respawning. A piece of advice
there's a shield in the depths with immunity to poison/toxic, if you haven't found it yet. It's really useful in Blighttown

Unrelated: I love Steam Sales. There's an influx of new Dark Souls players every sale and that warms my heart. I actually started playing Dark Souls due to last year's Summer Sale :D

Thrak360

Neo Member
thankfully NO. Would've been hellish if they were respawning. A piece of advice
there's a shield in the depths with immunity to poison/toxic, if you haven't found it yet. It's really useful in Blighttown
Oh yeah, I found the that shield. I told you, I can't stand to leave loot behind lol. My normal shield is just a +5 Kite, but I've been keeping shields like the Spider or Crest readily available, when I'll benefit from their properties.

Mogwai

Damn, the more I play DkS1 and its DLC, the more I'm reminded of how poor DkS2 feels :S

How could FROM ever greenlight the Ancient Dragon when they previously created Kalameet?

gaming_noob

Great Wolf Sif and the Stray Demon were surprisingly easy to beat. With Stray Demon I unequipped all armor so I could run faster and if you could keep getting behind him, swipe 2 shots at him and repeat he can be beat without losing any health....lol. I beat the boss from the Painting as well. New Londo Ruins seems cool so far but I ran out of time before having to go to work :( This is one of those games I wish never ended.

Hugstable

Banned
I just lost 8000 souls and 8 Humanity thanks to the Stray Demon. I honestly don't see how I'm not supposed to get hit by his blast.

Top Bottom