• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Why do people always say that? Just stay under 50% or 25% of your burden. No need to go completely naked, you just need to stay mobile. Sometimes the extra defense can mean the difference between 1hko and 2hko.

I think you get a special buff by staying nearly naked also you dont make any noise and the roll animation is slightly different

gaming_noob

Why do people always say that? Just stay under 50% or 25% of your burden. No need to go completely naked, you just need to stay mobile. Sometimes the extra defense can mean the difference between 1hko and 2hko.

I don't know man. I'm still going through my first playthrough and don't know enough about the game.

True to its heritage, the game is super frustrating, and very difficult. I already had a ragequit on my recent purchase of the PC version, despite not playing for very long. Definitely looking forward to more of this.

Spoilered for the uninitiated:
- Download from Steam
- Install Durante fix
- Start game from Steam
- Steam takes forever to install redistributables of things that I already have installed
- GFWL annoyingly pops up and asks me to login
- I struggle for awhile to remember my long abandoned Live account password
- "Updates for GFWL are available! Click here to download or you will not be able to play online and also we kill your family"
- Take 5-10 minutes to update GFWL
- "Please restart at your earliest convenience. We won't do it for you because we're lazy (but not too lazy to force you to still play offline)"
- Restart game, immediately prompted to login again
- "You're XBOX Live Gold membership has expired". Fuck you. Your Xbox hardware that I paid money for (several times) expired and you don't see me complaining.
- "No"
- Get to title screen. High-res font very ugly.
- Game doesn't detect gamepad because I have a steering wheel hooked up. Not disconnecting it on principle.
- Go into "Controls" page to see if there's an option to change which device to use as a controller. I already know there won't be.
- Click on a key mapping to see if I can bind controller buttons to them.
- Game doesn't recognize gamepad buttons as valid inputs for key mappings.
- Game doesn't recognize ANY buttons as valid inputs for key mappings. Forced to ALT+F4.
- Fuck this. My PS3 has probably finished updating by now.

Tarkus

It does seem to give a little more pep in your step, but I agree, I would just stay at sub-25% with some protection. At these guys' lower soul levels, I think the stray demon would one shot them anyway regardless of armor. Plus, some men like to be naked ;-)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My SL1 wore armour (Crown of Dusk + crimson set, maxed out) and stayed under 25% burden, and with RoFaP she survived plenty of hits, even from bosses such as Artorias, Manus and Kalameet (some of their attacks OHKOed, but most didn't). So yeah, it might not make such a huge difference between say 2hko and 3hko, but that extra slice of HP and defense went a long way, since there's a major difference between 1hko and 2hko. :)

Here she is, my Melisandre:
E20145007A52C8ADD98F09004BC8FCB703FD09DF

F90A86C856CE4B7363D2ECE4DC6B06A38F7FDD41

E79611BC17F273B58AB154281D82F34898DAEB90

Tarkus

My SL1 wore armour (Crown of Dusk + crimson set, maxed out) and stayed under 25% burden, and with RoFaP she survived plenty of hits, even from bosses such as Artorias, Manus and Kalameet (some of their attacks OHKOed, but most didn't). So yeah, it might not make such a huge difference between say 2hko and 3hko, but that extra slice of HP and defense went a long way, since there's a major difference between 1hko and 2hko. :)

Here she is, my Melisandre:
Wow, you're hardcore! I could never play this game as an SL 1. Kinda makes me feel like a puss for thinking SL 120 isn't enough. BTW, I use the same robe!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nah, the hardcore ones are those who go without upgrades or magic or no estus or stuff like that. Fuck that though, SL1 wasn't that bad (pyros OP) but I can't imagine beating the DLC bosses or S&O with those restrictions. O_O

Manu

SL1 runs are one of those things my head can't even begin to process.

It takes a ton of patience and balls of steel, two things I lack.

SL1 runs are one of those things my head can't even begin to process.

It takes a ton of patience and balls of steel, two things I lack.
Once you played the game through a couple of times or even once it's not that difficult for the most part. You might need a few tries on bosses like O&S and Artorias, but most everything else is pretty straight forward, get some reinforced clubs and a maxed out pyro glove, almost everything melts to those. Think about some parts you got stuck with on your first time and how you whizzed through them the next time.

I did my SL1 run before the DLC though, when I did another one post-DLC, I didn't have the patience to keep trying against Manus, so that's where it ended for me! Kudos to those who have done Manus and Kalameet @ SL1 /bow

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I got Artorias on my second try with her, but Kalameet was really hard, took me several tries.

And Manus, oh boy... I think it's over 50 tries, if I count the number of green blossoms I used. :( It's just so easy to screw up during that fight and usually one mistake means it's over. My hands were shaking when I finally got him, hah.

I just lost 8000 souls and 8 Humanity thanks to the Stray Demon. I honestly don't see how I'm not supposed to get hit by his blast.

If you're locking on, don't. Force the explosive attack or butt stomp while circling it, get out of blast radius, attack, rinse and repeat.

I have no idea who that Kalameet guy/gal/dragon/whatever is (and don't tell me! Wanna discover that for myself :D).

And I killed Havel on my first real try. Used my now standard Thief Black Leather armor with Mother's Mask that gives me slightly more HP. Wasn't that hard - I just rolled around and backstabbed him some 4-5 times. It was tense on couple of occasions tho. Now, onward and upward... I mean downward, to finally fight Hydra!

In the meantime, I think I cleared Depths. I killed Gaping Dragon and got key to Blighttown (nice fight, although I was expecting him to be more dangerous - why did he just... kept stucking those "teeth" in the ground?)

So my next character is gonna dual-wield a crossbow and great scythe, maybe wearing Laurtrec's armor.
I wonder who will get this reference.

Aurongel

Didn't know the game instantly threw you into NG+ after beating the final boss. Coming from DS2 I wasn't expecting such a dick move.

Looks like I'm never going to play the DLC :[

Didn't know the game instantly threw you into NG+ after beating the final boss. Coming from DS2 I wasn't expecting such a dick move.

Looks like I'm never going to play the DLC :[

You can rush to anor londo in 2 hours or less, the only hard thing is O&S.

I actually found less satisfing and friendly to not throw you to NG+ but hey thats why you have to play DS1 before DS2 but thats my opinion.

Summoned the NPC and it made the Bell Gargoyle's easy :D

I managed to get both a Gargoyle Tail Axe and a Gargoyle's Halberd from them. Are they good weapons? They both seem to attack slower than the Longsword I've been using, which would make it easier for me to fuck up and get killed. But they both do more damage.

Just don't want to waste souls and shards leveling up a weapon I won't be using for long.

Summoned the NPC and it made the Bell Gargoyle's easy :D

I managed to get both a Gargoyle Tail Axe and a Gargoyle's Halberd from them. Are they good weapons? They both seem to attack slower than the Longsword I've been using, which would make it easier for me to fuck up and get killed. But they both do more damage.

Just don't want to waste souls and shards leveling up a weapon I won't be using for long.

Use the weapon you are most comfy to play, fully upgraded it can take you easily to the end. the only rare material to get is the titanite slab so you have plenty of time to try new weapons.

Mistel

Banned
Both of them are good weapons depending on your stats and what you enjoy most will be relative to your mileage with them.

I take it the Longsword itself isn't a great weapon to use, I mean it's the one I started the game with...

I guess I'll try out both Gargoyle weapons for a while and see which one I prefer.

I'm not worried too much about scaling atm, focusing on getting my Vit/End up right now. Str/Dex will be sitting on 17/14 for the time being.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I take it the Longsword itself isn't a great weapon to use, I mean it's the one I started the game with...

I guess I'll try out both Gargoyle weapons for a while and see which one I prefer.

I'm not worried too much about scaling atm, focusing on getting my Vit/End up right now. Str/Dex will be sitting on 17/14 for the time being.

Longsword is fine. You can definitely finish the game with a +15 Longsword.

Certain enemies are way easier with a faster weapon like the Longsword.

Tarkus

The Longsword is a fine weapon. I really like its moveset and speed too.

IMO, vitality is not all that important. I'm doing okay at the end of the game with only 12. If you're thinking of tanking or PVP then maybe it's useful.

Well in that case I suppose I'll stick with the Longsword. How does it hold up in NG+ though? Or will I find powerful weapons with a similar moveset later on?

And yeah I guess vitality doesn't seem that important. What endurance level will I need to be able to get the fast roll? Once I get that I can pretty much focus solely on str/agi I think.

Hugstable

Banned
Alright, after having been busy all day, it's finally time to take this asshole Stray Demon back on. I ain't losing this time.

EDIT: HE DEAD

Tarkus

Well in that case I suppose I'll stick with the Longsword. How does it hold up in NG+ though? Or will I find powerful weapons with a similar moveset later on?

And yeah I guess vitality doesn't seem that important. What endurance level will I need to be able to get the fast roll? Once I get that I can pretty much focus solely on str/agi I think.
I can't comment about NG+ yet, but you'll find similar weapons and have plenty of opportunity to max out several weapons. Odds are that you'll experiment with other classes of weapons and change up completely.

Having the fast roll just depends on being under 25% of your equip load. It will change as you equip heavier/lighter weapons and armor. The equip load is displayed in the stat page of the start menu and also the equipment page. Therefore, there's no specific endurance number for the fast roll. It will depend on your configuration. Some of the ugly hollow armor is really light with good def.

Manu

Semi off-topic, but I just played a few hours of DS2 and killed my first boss.

It feels really different for some reason. The movement, the graphics, the atmosphere, all different. It seems to be a bit clunkier and rolls have a delay to them that makes them not as precise as in the first one. The whole thing feels weird.

So I ventured into New Londo Ruins and started playing ghostbusters.

Got my ass handed to me after the first fog door, the ghosts in the lake would run away if I tried to pull them back onto the stairs where I could fight them, so I figured I could run past them, bad idea, ended up getting surrounded by 6 or so ghosts lol.

What's the best way to deal with that area? There was doors all over the place so I had no idea where I could safely go to fight them.

Manu

So I ventured into New Londo Ruins and started playing ghostbusters.

Got my ass handed to me after the first fog door, the ghosts in the lake would run away if I tried to pull them back onto the stairs where I could fight them, so I figured I could run past them, bad idea, ended up getting surrounded by 6 or so ghosts lol.

What's the best way to deal with that area? There was doors all over the place so I had no idea where I could safely go to fight them.

You don't need to go into that area until much later, so don't worry about it just yet.

It feels really different for some reason. The movement, the graphics, the atmosphere, all different. It seems to be a bit clunkier and rolls have a delay to them that makes them not as precise as in the first one. The whole thing feels weird.

Yes, its feels like a different game right?

butman

Gaf a quick help here:

I've finished to ring the bell at the catedral and now i'm at the Ruins of New Londo.

The first 3 run was tedious because the caution about the ghost, but after obtaining the ghost sword i so much easy and i'm smashing the ghost with all out. I figured out (like always happens in this marvelous game) that waiting for them it's so wrong.
The problem is i've always managed to reach until the second building (the one that you can acces quickly after you activate the emergency ladder). I'm going it again, but the problem is that i'm running out of the spectral item that make you block ghost attack, and no ghost are dropping it anymore. Should i insist? Any place to buy them? Or i must go and fight them "naked"?

Thanks!

Tarkus

So I upgraded my BKGS to +4, but the stats read 287? Shouldn't it be higher?
It needs to scale with your Str and a little with Dex for the big damage. Lucky you to get that weapon.

Gaf a quick help here:

I've finished to ring the bell at the catedral and now i'm at the Ruins of New Londo.

The first 3 run was tedious because the caution about the ghost, but after obtaining the ghost sword i so much easy and i'm smashing the ghost with all out. I figured out (like always happens in this marvelous game) that waiting for them it's so wrong.
The problem is i've always managed to reach until the second building (the one that you can acces quickly after you activate the emergency ladder). I'm going it again, but the problem is that i'm running out of the spectral item that make you block ghost attack, and no ghost are dropping it anymore. Should i insist? Any place to buy them? Or i must go and fight them "naked"?

Thanks!
Reference the posts just above yours :)

Gaf a quick help here:

Thanks!

There is a merchant who sells those stones on the lower part undead burg where you unlock the shortcut for the firelink shirne on the sewer section.

Also you can get the ghost dagger (that can damage them) as a rare drop from them too

Tarkus

PVP is awesome tonight at Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith! I've won about 13/15. Even killed a couple of teams. I got indicted twice when I used the cracked red instead of the blue eye. Oddly, I'm having more luck invading with the blue eye orb. The claymore is unbelievable! What a great moveset!

Can I buy cracked red orbs from a merchant somewhere? I only have 8 more :(

Ok, my longsword is now +4 and I opened up the shortcut between Firelink and the lower section of Undead Burg.

I attacked the NPC behind the bars in the sewer pipe though, I walked up and saw something that looked undead and hit attack, only to be greeted by them yelling at me :(
Were they useful and can I make them friendly again?

Ruuppa

PVP is awesome tonight at Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith! I've won about 13/15. Even killed a couple of teams. I got indicted twice when I used the cracked red instead of the blue eye. Oddly, I'm having more luck invading with the blue eye orb. The claymore is unbelievable! What a great moveset!

Can I buy cracked red orbs from a merchant somewhere? I only have 8 more :(

Darkwraith Covenant leader if you are a member.

Ok, my longsword is now +4 and I opened up the shortcut between Firelink and the lower section of Undead Burg.

I attacked the NPC behind the bars in the sewer pipe though, I walked up and saw something that looked undead and hit attack, only to be greeted by them yelling at me :(
Were they useful and can I make them friendly again?

If you go to the Pardoner in the Undead Parish Belltower, you can pay him to make the merchant neutral again. She mostly sells poison -related stuff, which is pretty useful.

One guy claimed in another thread that DS2 had identical mechanics to DS1 but I had to restrain myself from making a huge fuss about it: pretty much every mechanic right down to basic movement and attacking is at least slightly different in some way.

Top Bottom