• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

gaming_noob

I've beat the game with the Knight and Pyromancer classes and I think playing as Pyromancer was tougher..
I'm going on another run and this time I'm just going to focus on bulking up my character and leaving my white sign on various areas to help out with the bosses. I appreciate the help I got on my first playthrough so much that I'm going to do the same for others.

Donos

You can make a chump out of anybody/ every situation when you know what to do in this game. Especially when you figure out that sword Silver/ Black Knights have the easiest attack in the game to parry.

Not only easy (although i really don't parry often) but the attacks of them have long breaks inbetween. Kiln was really laughable. Silver/Black Knights at the beginning are scary because of their sheer power compared to your character and not because they fight good.
The two Forest Knights who don't respawn fight better then the Silver/Black Knights
That's why i loved
Gwyn and Manus
with their constant barrage of attacks and movement. Good open fights.

v1perz53

That's why i loved
Gwyn and Manus
with their constant barrage of attacks and movement. Good open fights.

Well I loved Gwyn until I learned he was easier to parry than the Black Knights are, kind of ruined the fight once I found out. Manus on the other hand, is an excellent fight, though I wouldn't mind him having a little less HP.

turbocat

So...Titanite Slabs are real, right? Just making sure they weren't patched out of the game because after three or four hours of solid farming, I still haven't found one what am I even DOING WITH MY LIFE

GRIP

So...Titanite Slabs are real, right? Just making sure they weren't patched out of the game because after three or four hours of solid farming, I still haven't found one what am I even DOING WITH MY LIFE

Don't waste your time farming Darkwraths for them. Get your favorite weapons to +15 with the few Slabs that are in the game, and just upgrade everything else you like to +14 until you start a new game. If you're really desperate for 1-2 more then I would recommend going to the Great Hallow and killing all the crystal lizards there. They have a fairly decent drop rate for slabs.

v1perz53

Yea, they're real, and also the most annoying aspect of Dark Souls 1. Get yourself 10 soft humanity, the gold ring, and kill Darkwraiths until your eyes bleed. I usually average a slab every hour or so though, you seem to be getting particularly unlucky. I can only imagine how many chunks you have.

Tarkus

Don't waste your time farming Darkwraths for them. Get your favorite weapons to +15 with the few Slabs that are in the game, and just upgrade everything else you like to +14 until you start a new game. If you're really desperate for 1-2 more then I would recommend going to the Great Hallow and killing all the crystal lizards their. They have a fairly decent drop rate for slabs.
Agreed. The difference between +14 and +15 isn't great enough to spend hours farming Darkwraiths.

turbocat

Yeah, I've got the Item Discovery maxed out...I mean I know they're real, but come on. I may give it a bit more time, but if none drop soon, I'll just move on with life.

Donos

Yeah, was shocked to see that for the platinum trophy i need a few slabs more for some weapon upgrad paths. But i'm still going to get some slabs through story/npc and i also have to go to NG++ for Sifs souls so i don't think i really need to farm them. Claymore, Longbow and Balder shield are already +15 and everything else is enough at +14 or lower.

Pure Bladestone from DeS still laughs at Slab droprate.

turbocat

Titanite Slab update...one finally dropped. My brother was over, so I'm convinced he was a lucky charm. I also hadn't beaten the Stray Demon, so I went back and did that. Two slabs in one night...not bad.

v1perz53

Titanite Slab update...one finally dropped. My brother was over, so I'm convinced he was a lucky charm. I also hadn't beaten the Stray Demon, so I went back and did that. Two slabs in one night...not bad.

If you have the Artorias DLC, there's one in there too just sitting around. The third guaranteed slab is for doing all the stuff with siegmeyer, but unless you're ok using a wiki there is almost no way you would do the right things in the right order to get this one, it's pretty random.

I-hate-u

Finally platinumed. It took 105 hours on a single profile over the past month. My God I am so ready to play a less stressful game.
Gwyn ng+
by faaaaa~~~~~~aar gave me the biggest trouble.

v1perz53

Finally platinumed. It took 105 hours on a single profile over the past month. My God I am so ready to play a less stressful game.
Gwyn ng+

I totally agree, he was my brick wall when going for platinum. Then I learned that you could parry the 2nd attack in his 3 attack chain very easily, and that if you stayed close and blocked he would basically spam it. Killed him next attempt. A little let down to be honest, since I had like 20+ attempts on him before that with varying degrees of success, then decided to check online to make sure I wasn't missing something. Turns out I was, and it robbed me of the feeling of overcoming adversity.

Donos

I totally agree, he was my brick wall when going for platinum. Then I learned that you could parry the 2nd attack in his 3 attack chain very easily, and that if you stayed close and blocked he would basically spam it. Killed him next attempt. A little let down to be honest, since I had like 20+ attempts on him before that with varying degrees of success, then decided to check online to make sure I wasn't missing something. Turns out I was, and it robbed me of the feeling of overcoming adversity.

Parrying him would take the fun out of the fight for me. Hope BLoodborne has less puzzle/gimmick bosses and more real fights. Also have DS II to play and i read that is has more humanoid bosses.

Gwyn ng+

I was ready to fight a fair fight against him on my NG+ run, but once I was there and the music started i kind of reverted back to old habits and just parried every single hit of his and killed him first try :(
O&S on NG+ were sooooooooooooo fucking more difficult holy shit, took me atleast 50 tries and in the end like 9 humanity for healing.

I-hate-u

O&S were hard as well. I gave up on NPC summoning and just wasting humanities. The best thing to do against that fight is to be extremely patient and kill O first.

Kalameet tail-cut was extremely frustrating as well. Fortunately you don't need that sword for the platinum.

turbocat

Going to Blighttown from Valley of Drakes is the best route to skip most of the BS, but you need the Master Key for that I believe. Valley of Defilement > BT.

Also guys, I am sure you all saw this, but this is new to me. I have beater Sif 3 times and never saw this:

Spoiler ofc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5xnWvOLOzM

So sad :(((

He limped in my fight, which already made me sad enough, but this is terrible. Makes me really not want to get to that fight again.

I beat the game this morning. Started NG+ and already
rang the first bell
. The game is still hard, but not nearly as hard as the first time through.

butman

OK GAF, i'm stuck. I'm at the point that:

- Killed the Crystal Dragon.
- Went to the bottom of the Demon Ruins, and killed the 3 bosses, the last one was the cetiped and this is a dead end. (there's a wall with a crackle but i can't break it)
and before the second boss there's a root passageway that end on a big door and it can be opened by a mechanism.
- At New Londo i can fight the Four Kings, but they are too strong for me now.
- I think that Darkroot area is completed after killed the wolf.
- On the DLC i'm in the Royal forest but i want to continue with it after the main game.

I'm missing something? Please a little hint.

Thanks!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
OK GAF, i'm stuck. I'm at the point that:

I'm missing something? Please a little hint.

Thanks!
Go back to the Centipede Demon boss fight arena. You missed an opening (not a wall to break, it's simply a tunnel but it's easy to miss it).

Also, good luck for the most annoying part of the game. xD

Donos

Well, like hinted here Four Kings at NG+ is no joke. Seems to me that maxed fire weapons don't do more dmg than my Clay +15 (e.g. Fire Clay +5).Going to tackle them later.

Mistel

Banned
Well, like hinted here Four Kings at NG+ is no joke. Seems to me that maxed fire weapons don't do more dmg than my Clay +15 (e.g. Fire Clay +5).Going to tackle them later.
Why not use a charcoal resin then on a +15 claymore if that's the case?

Go full lighting, buy resines and take him down (dont use summons outside real human beings)

v1perz53

Well, one thing is that Fire upgrade path goes to +10, you just need to find the right ember. But fire upgrade is really only good for a build where you just meet the weapon requirement because it loses scaling. For the four kings, as said above, a good bet would be a +15 claymore with charcoal resin, you get fire damage to exploit their fire weakness and all the scaling benefits of your stats on a +15 claymore.

Fight is really tough, make sure you get right up in their face. Seems counterintuitive, but they have a direct hit type system where you take much less damage from their melee swings if you are really close to them, and generally a second king spawning wont attack if you are right next to one already fighting it.

Donos

Ahhh, fire upgrade goes to +10 ? ... lol. Wondered about the lack of trophy popup when i brought it to +5.

If all else fails, unleash the Power Within.

Wanted to initiate it right before the fight (on the stairs) but i couldn't use it, or green herbs. Thought it was blocked for the fight. When i now think about it, i think i still had transient curse on, that's probably the problem *facepalm*.

Thanks for all the tipps.

I-hate-u

Havel's outfit, grass shield, wolf ring, crystal soul mass, crystal weapon buff and two handed claymore +15 makes that fight easy mode. Just stay extremely close to them and make sure to heal. Their melee is weak so it doesn't even matter if you don't block.

CHC

Alright so now that some time has passed what is the official word on 60 FPS stability? After a couple hundred hours of DSII I really am having a hard time playing at 30. Enabling 60 feels so good but is it going to have some ugly consequence later? I'm aware of the jump distance and ladder bugs but is the feature otherwise cool to use without error?

Mistel

Banned
Alright so now that some time has passed what is the official word on 60 FPS stability? After a couple hundred hours of DSII I really am having a hard time playing at 30. Enabling 60 feels so good but is it going to have some ugly consequence later? I'm aware of the jump distance and ladder bugs but is the feature otherwise cool to use without error?
I think you posted in the wrong thread. But DS2 has a durability bug with 60FPS as it's tied to frames so degrades twice as fast. Then there's the whole parry riposte thing being frame based too. Enemy attack animations are also faster too at 60FPS.

v1perz53

I think you posted in the wrong thread. But DS2 has a durability bug with 60FPS as it's tied to frames so degrades twice as fast. Then there's the whole parry riposte thing being frame based too. Enemy attack animations are also faster too at 60FPS.

No he meant using the 60 FPS unofficial fix for DkS 1. I haven't tried it myself but I haven't heard any specific issues besides wonky ladders and occasionally falling through the world (which may or may not be fixed by exiting and reloading).

CHC

Sorry should have been more clear. I'm coming back to Dark Souls I after playing a lot of Dark Souls II and wanted to see if the 60 FPS feature in DSFix was what most people are using or if the bugs make it not worth using.

Okay, guys. I'm hella stuck on Four Kings. What's the best strategy for a strength build? I have a Black Knight Sword +5, and am wearing the Black Iron set. I watched this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3bhsgFVM4 and am doing everything this guy is doing except he's doing about double the damage I'm doing some how?

Did you upgraded all your armor, what about your rings? use the resine to get a lightning buff or fire buff, both elements can do tons of damage.

Mistel

Banned
Okay, guys. I'm hella stuck on Four Kings. What's the best strategy for a strength build? I have a Black Knight Sword +5, and am wearing the Black Iron set. I watched this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3bhsgFVM4 and am doing everything this guy is doing except he's doing about double the damage I'm doing some how?
That's probably because they're using a different weapon that's buffed to with one of the things they're weak to in this case magic.

Donos

On NG i just tanked Four KIngs and they died rather easy but there i was already on the drug called Claymore +15 and high lvled.

Almost got them today. One hit left but i fucked up a dodge. Was the only try today so i'm positive that they will go down next time.
Really looking forward to NG+ bosses
Artorias, Manus and Gwyn

On NG i just tanked Four KIngs and they died rather easy but there i was already on the drug called Claymore +15 and high lvled.

Almost got them today. One hit left but i fucked up a dodge. Was the only try today so i'm positive that they will go down next time.
Really looking forward to NG+ bosses
Artorias, Manus and Gwyn

for me in NG+ the bosses are more aggresive and less forgiving than NG

Top Bottom