• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Auctopus

Sorry it's sort of OT but it's obviously partially relevant...

For those of you which enjoyed the first part of the interview, Peter Barnard has finished translating Part 2 of the Dark Souls 2 Design Works interview: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=157885498#post157885498

It's an incredibly eye-opening, candid interview with the lead directors and other members of staff. It's a long read (and will get longer) but entirely worth it. As a Souls fan who was left underwhelmed by DS2, this has really illustrated some of the reasons why it might've not lived up to my expectations and made me really want a DS3 delivered by the same team.

Enjoy!

Nothing about it and I'm not sure if it's happening. I don't think they're going to jump on Dark Souls sort of being considered the better Dark Souls game, and if anything the second game has gotten better treatment.

I'm playing Bloodborne and enjoying it, but it's making me want to finally play Dark Souls. And the living room where my PS4 is gets so much light it's hard to see the screen in the middle of the day.

My gaming PC is in a nice dark bedroom, but it's very old. Windows XP, E6420 @ 2.8 GHz, 768 MB GTX 8800. Will it run Dark Souls OK and has the Steam version been patched now to allow custom resolutions up to 1920 x 1080? Or do you still need to use DSfix?

You still need DSFix.
It's kind of demanding on the CPU. It might be adequate but unpleasant especially in Blighttown with unlocked fps

Sorry it's sort of OT but it's obviously partially relevant...

For those of you which enjoyed the first part of the interview, Peter Barnard has finished translating Part 2 of the Dark Souls 2 Design Works interview: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=157885498#post157885498

It's an incredibly eye-opening, candid interview with the lead directors and other members of staff. It's a long read (and will get longer) but entirely worth it. As a Souls fan who was left underwhelmed by DS2, this has really illustrated some of the reasons why it might've not lived up to my expectations and made me really want a DS3 delivered by the same team.

Enjoy!

Awesome, thanks for the link. I didn't even realize the first part had already been done. Will set aside some time to read tonight.

Hey guys, almost finished with my first run of this but I just want to ask about anything I should do before the final boss (seeing as everything is easier to do in NG).

I made sure to collect the white, blue and red slabs. I bought all the miracles from the chick you rescue in Tomb of the Giants. I farmed basilisks for eyes and ranked up gravelord servant for the miracles. Farmed humanity and ranked up chaos servant.

Right now I'm farming harpies to level up darkmoon for that miracle. Then as far as I know I just need to help people kill some bosses to lower the faith req. on sunbro's (does that carry into NG+ seeing you need Gwyn's soul for a miracle?), then kill Gwyndolin (and Gwynovere).

Your covenant rank does carry over to NG+.

Sounds like you thought of everything, you could dark hand and then kill all the NPCs that are left for that little extra humanity and their drops. Did you buy stuff from Patches, he's easy to miss and only appears at Firelink after killing Nito. Did you buy all the boss armour from Domnhall? He will sell Gwyn's too when you see him in NG+.

Booshka

Finally started playing again, I had forgot how amazing this game was. The level design is just masterful

Any tips for the Capra Demon?

Sprint to the stairs, isolate the dogs, take them out. Then utilize the environment to exploit Capra's AI and pathing, abuse that staircase, it's in there for a reason. If you have the wolf ring, the poise can help a lot to prevent being staggered by the dogs. A 100% physical block shield with decent stability makes it much easier as well.

Good luck.

Tarkus

Finally started playing again, I had forgot how amazing this game was. The level design is just masterful

Any tips for the Capra Demon?
Run directly up the stairs and kill the dogs when they follow you. Use the fast roll or a 100% damage reduction shield (or both) to avoid his attacks. Manage your stamina by not rolling when unnecessary and drop the shield if he is not attacking.

If you have a Black Knight weapon, use that because all demons are weak to them.

Your covenant rank does carry over to NG+.

Sounds like you thought of everything, you could dark hand and then kill all the NPCs that are left for that little extra humanity and their drops. Did you buy stuff from Patches, he's easy to miss and only appears at Firelink after killing Nito. Did you buy all the boss armour from Domnhall? He will sell Gwyn's too when you see him in NG+.
Oh, should I kill firekeepers for their souls to upgrade my estus quicker? It'll take until NG++ otherwise to max won't it?
Do any NPCs give unique gear?

And I killed Patches in tomb because he's an ass lol
The axe he drops is pretty much all you need from him afaik.

Didn't even know about Domnhall :eek:

Gonna do the DLC now as well, had forgotten about it.

Yes, kill all firekeepers for their souls to max out your Estus Flask. Patches sells a few miracles (nothing unique), the cleric set, and also all 3 of the Pinwheel masks (plus gives you Prostration gesture!)

I'm trying to think if anyone drops anything unique it's mainly black phantoms that drop unique weapons/armour:

- Rhea drops her talisman (you may have found it rather than kill her for it, her quest isn't the most obvious, buy all her spells when she appears at the Parish altar after rescuing her in TotG then she goes hollow in the Archive prison tower)
- Logan (again a bit obscure to get all his drops, buy all his spells, he goes hollow in the room you first meet Seath, drops his hat, a high INT spell, and the strongest catalyst in the game)
- Griggs (goes hollow in Sen's Fortress in the same place you find his black mage armour set, nothing unique iirc - spell, ring)
- Hawkeye Gough (his armour)
- Elizabeth (drops 3 mushrooms)
- Shiva
Join the Forest covenant, speak to him in the forest, then go meet him under the Blighttown waterwheel where he is a merchant and he and his ninja buddy drop unique loot
- Engyi (I think you need 12 INT, then he will sell you poison/toxic pyromancies, only drops an Egg Vermifuge on killing him)
- Domnhall will be
under the viaduct between Firelink/Undead Burg, near the ring of sacrifice treasure
, no drop only sells boss armours
- Snuggly the Crow - Trade with her one of each item per NG cycle.
- All the blacksmiths except Rickert drop unique weapons

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So er thanks for recommending the DLC guys. You bastards. :) I thought I was passed the "hi!" YOU DIED part of the game.

Knight Artorias doesn't really like me. I've gotten him within one hit of death and then he clobbers me. It's quite similar to the Gwyn fight and I sucked at that too. Also, no pillars, no cover and that triple spin attack. Eesh. Amazing animation though - and I can see where Sif gets his spinning attack from.

Tarkus

So er thanks for recommending the DLC guys. You bastards. :) I thought I was passed the "hi!" YOU DIED part of the game.

Knight Artorias doesn't really like me. I've gotten him within one hit of death and then he clobbers me. It's quite similar to the Gwyn fight and I sucked at that too. Also, no pillars, no cover and that triple spin attack. Eesh. Amazing animation though - and I can see where Sif gets his spinning attack from.
Don't let him buff. You can interrupt it with weapons that stagger quickly.

Tarkus

Yeah it a long buff animation with an AOE at the end. He does it at every 1/3 (1/4?) HP increment. It's a significant boost. By the time he does all 3, he can one shot most builds.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah it a long buff animation with an AOE at the end. He does it at every 1/3 (1/4?) HP increment. It's a significant boost. By the time he does all 3, he can one shot most builds.

Interesting. That might explain why later in the fight blocking seems to do nothing. Thanks.

Mistel

Banned
It's ever 1/5 he does his power up/explosion AOE.
Interesting. That might explain why later in the fight blocking seems to do nothing. Thanks.
Blocking works in this fight really well with greatsheilds normal shields really don't help much.

kaos.

I recommend to use drakwood grain ring and roll instead of blocking...
But, if you feel more confidend using a shield, try to equip a +14 balder shield.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It's ever 1/5 he does his power up/explosion AOE.

Blocking works in this fight really well with greatsheilds normal shields really don't help much.

I recommend to use drakwood grain ring and roll instead of blocking...
But, if you feel more confidend using a shield, try to equip a +14 balder shield.

I managed with tanky armour and a +15 zweihander. Once I two handed him while he buffed (thanks again) it wasn't too bad.

Edit - and thanks for recommending the DLC, DSGAF. I'm up to the chasm of the abyss now and Oolacile in general has been a great area, especially as a lore nerd. I just really wish I hadn't spoiled some of it for myself. Definitely staying away from any other Souls spoilers.

I've not yet killed Kalameet (Hawkeye Gough helped me out but Kalameet still thumped me) and I'm just at the start of the Chasm of the Abyss. It's been great meeting the rest of the four knights (including Ciaran who I didn't know was Ciaran until after I'd been generous). How much is left?

f0rk

Started playing on pc after all the bkoodborne hype and quite enjoying it. Got really stuck for the first time yesterday on the bell gargoyles but got through them today. Not sure where to go now, I don't think I fully explored undead burg but could try the forest area. I tried going back to a black Knight but I got wrecked. He had weird attack animations that I need to get used to.

Am I meant to even bother trying to kill the big black headless statue thing before the forest? He takes a beating do I've been running by.

At the moment I haven't stopped using the scimitar I started with as a wanderer, and have kept with the same light armour as well. I upgraded the scimitar to +5, is this a waste? It's working well but I feel like maybe I should have something new by now.

Tarkus

I've not yet killed Kalameet (Hawkeye Gough helped me out but Kalameet still thumped me) and I'm just at the start of the Chasm of the Abyss. It's been great meeting the rest of the four knights (including Ciaran who I didn't know was Ciaran until after I'd been generous). How much is left?
The end is near.

Started playing on pc after all the bkoodborne hype and quite enjoying it. Got really stuck for the first time yesterday on the bell gargoyles but got through them today. Not sure where to go now, I don't think I fully explored undead burg but could try the forest area. I tried going back to a black Knight but I got wrecked. He had weird attack animations that I need to get used to.

Am I meant to even bother trying to kill the big black headless statue thing before the forest? He takes a beating do I've been running by.

At the moment I haven't stopped using the scimitar I started with as a wanderer, and have kept with the same light armour as well. I upgraded the scimitar to +5, is this a waste? It's working well but I feel like maybe I should have something new by now.

The ultra greatsword Black Knights (the one on top of the tower) can be tough, but the regular greatsword Black Knights are really easy to parry once you understand parrying better.

The Titanite Demons are really tough, you don't need to worry about beating it until your weapon is higher than +5.

And the Falchion is a straight upgrade to the Scimitar. It's in Blighttown and kind of difficult to reach though, so there's nothing wrong with upgrading the scimitar until you find it. But it's pretty much the only "upgrade" in the game, almost all weapons you can purchase or find are viable until the end of the game and beyond as long as you upgrade and have the appropriate stats.

I just peppered the Titanite Demon with 200 arrows, moving back and forth to dodge the lightning bolts. As for the bell gargoyles, there is a summoning sign you can use that makes the fight so much easier.

Of the DLC? the chasm is the final area of the DLC so far

Lag in PvP is the stupidest thing.

Get invaded and me and the other guy are basically circling each other with shields raised then I get backstabbed out of nowhere and die.

Yeah ok.

Theoris

Neo Member
Recently started this game (for the fifth time) and, thanks to Bloodborne, I'm really falling in love with it.

I play it on a surface pro 2 with a few dsfix tweaks and a dualshock 4, it's gaming heaven (when I can't get on Bloodborne!).

Just killed Manus and oh my god that was great.

Was up way too close to him at the end when he did the spell that rains down on you but somehow avoided practically all damage and killed him.

Heart is going crazy right now.

Just killed Manus and oh my god that was great.

Was up way too close to him at the end when he did the spell that rains down on you but somehow avoided practically all damage and killed him.

Heart is going crazy right now.

A narrow victory on this game gets my heart pumping like no other game. I usually have to bust out a huge shield (Stone/Havel's) for Manus even though I can do most bosses like O&S/Artorias with no shield. His hits are just so heavy.

K so I've got Vitality, Endurance and Strength all to 40, everything else is untouched beyond getting Dexterity to 14.

Not sure where to go from here.

Weapon wise I'm still using Zweihander, but there's got to be better Str weapons right? I've got stuff like the Black Knight Greatsword/Greataxe, Demon Great Mechete, Dragon Greatsword, Obsidian Greatsword, Gravelord Sword, Dragon King Greataxe, Dragon Tooth.

A few I can't really test as they have 16 or 18 Dex requirements, and I don't want to dump in unneeded points to find out I don't like the weapon. Then some have 50 Str so I'd want to go up to that to keep a shield.

Then would it be worth going to 15 Magic and whatever Attunement I need for one slot (10?) for Great Magic Weapon. Can only certain weapons be buffed with that?

Just want to get all this sorted before I start NG+.

Mistel

Banned
K so I've got Vitality, Endurance and Strength all to 40, everything else is untouched beyond getting Dexterity to 14.

Not sure where to go from here.

Weapon wise I'm still using Zweihander, but there's got to be better Str weapons right? I've got stuff like the Black Knight Greatsword/Greataxe, Demon Great Mechete, Dragon Greatsword, Obsidian Greatsword, Gravelord Sword, Dragon King Greataxe, Dragon Tooth.

A few I can't really test as they have 16 or 18 Dex requirements, and I don't want to dump in unneeded points to find out I don't like the weapon. Then some have 50 Str so I'd want to go up to that to keep a shield.

Then would it be worth going to 15 Magic and whatever Attunement I need for one slot (10?) for Great Magic Weapon. Can only certain weapons be buffed with that?

Just want to get all this sorted before I start NG+.
You've got 40 STR all ready so you can use the demon great machete which is one of the better STR weapons and scales A with STR. Not quite sure why you'd not use the advantage of 2 handing things for the 1.5 STR bonus to deal more damage but if you prefer using a shield that's not an issue. Certain weapons can't be enchanted with buffs or resins, but if you don't want to waste points you can just use resins and invest in going to 50 STR for things like the demon greataxe.

Yeah, having a look at the Machete now and it seems good. Very ugly looking weapon though :p
I like the option of using a shield because some bosses would be hell otherwise.

One more question, armour.

I've been using ugly robes and stuff so far to keep a fast roll, but I'm starting to get all fashion souls and want to use a medium roll to make myself look pretty. Black Knight set seems the best for what will keep me under 50% equip load (with Havel's Ring), but before I go and upgrade it just want to check if there's anything better I may have missed.

One more question, armour.

I've been using ugly robes and stuff so far to keep a fast roll, but I'm starting to get all fashion souls and want to use a medium roll to make myself look pretty. Black Knight set seems the best for what will keep me under 50% equip load (with Havel's Ring), but before I go and upgrade it just want to check if there's anything better I may have missed.

For medium armor you can use the elite knight set,Shiva armor set the Black Knight set or the Ciaran Set, if you managed to kill Ornstein at last you can use his armor set too.

Man, having such a hard time making my character sexy.

Trying to use Demon Great Machete with Greatshield of Artorias which doesn't give me much wiggle room.

Have to use the Elite Knight set with one of Pinwheel's masks to stay under 50% equip load.

If I swap to a lighter weapon I can fit the Black Knight set in (with a mask), but I don't think the Black Knight Greatsword/Greataxe are all that great compared to the Machete.

Guess I'll just settle for the Elite Knight set :(

Edit: Ohhhh I can just squeeze in Ornstein's set with a mask, that'll do!

evilhomer

You've got 40 STR all ready so you can use the demon great machete which is one of the better STR weapons and scales A with STR. Not quite sure why you'd not use the advantage of 2 handing things for the 1.5 STR bonus to deal more damage but if you prefer using a shield that's not an issue. Certain weapons can't be enchanted with buffs or resins, but if you don't want to waste points you can just use resins and invest in going to 50 STR for things like the demon greataxe.

Is it important which weapon to upgrade past lvl 10. For instance I have the starting schmitar to lvl 10 and want to use the spider lady soul to upgrade to her sword, does it make much difference which weapon I level or should I just use whats more convenient (since the schmitar is already close to upgrading).

Leveling a new weapon wouldn't be much of a problem just curious if the weapon used to upgrade to the 10+ lvl is significant.

Mistel

Banned
Is it important which weapon to upgrade past lvl 10. For instance I have the starting schmitar to lvl 10 and want to use the spider lady soul to upgrade to her sword, does it make much difference which weapon I level or should I just use whats more convenient (since the schmitar is already close to upgrading).

Leveling a new weapon wouldn't be much of a problem just curious if the weapon used to upgrade to the 10+ lvl is significant.
Not really for boss weapons as whatever you use will end up as the boss weapon. Normal weapon wise as long as you can use it, upgrade it really.

Finally got my NG++ character's equip load high enough to wear full Elite Knight Armor, wield a Zweihander, and still ninja flip roll. Feels good.

fanart via reddit:

tumblr_nm3gd4C05m1rstsb4o1_1280.png

Cute :)

jb1234

I've died about 30 times against Capra Demon. There's a special place in hell set aside from the people who design boss fights like this.

I've died about 30 times against Capra Demon. There's a special place in hell set aside from the people who design boss fights like this.
1. Grab the Wolf Ring
Darkroot Garden loot, on the ledge to your left as you see it coming from the Parish and under the Moonlight Butterfly bridge
- it increases your poise and ensures the dogs attacks don't interrupt your own actions.
2. Enter fog gate, shield up and wait a second for the Capra to most likely do a lunge attack, roll dodge to the right and run up the stairs.
3. Kill dogs
4. You vs Capra - you can block his one-handed attacks if you want, dodge the two handed attacks. Either way get a hit or two in as he recovers from his own swings, repeat - it's over.

Spears and rapiers allow you to attack behind a shield and can be helpful to kill the dogs, but almost any +5 weapon should kill them in one swipe any way, once the dogs are gone it should be no problem.

jb1234

1. Grab the Wolf Ring
Darkroot Garden loot, on the ledge to your left as you see it coming from the Parish and under the Moonlight Butterfly bridge
- it increases your poise and ensures the dogs attacks don't interrupt your own actions.
2. Enter fog gate, shield up and wait a second for the Capra to most likely do a lunge attack, roll dodge to the right and run up the stairs.
3. Kill dogs
4. You vs Capra - you can block his one-handed attacks if you want, dodge the two handed attacks. Either way get a hit or two in as he recovers from his own swings, repeat - it's over.

Spears and rapiers allow you to attack behind a shield and can be helpful to kill the dogs, but almost any +5 weapon should kill them in one swipe any way, once the dogs are gone it should be no problem.

Yeah, I'm going to Darkroot next because I need a change of pace and I've heard there's some good loot there. My Long Sword +5 craves new blood. ;) Thanks for the tips!

Tarkus

Yeah, I'm going to Darkroot next because I need a change of pace and I've heard there's some good loot there. My Long Sword +5 craves new blood. ;) Thanks for the tips!
Did you meet the person at the bottom of the tower in Upper Undead Burg? If not, it's probably best to cross his path from the top rather than from the Darkroot Basin side.

Curufinwe

Nothing about it and I'm not sure if it's happening. I don't think they're going to jump on Dark Souls sort of being considered the better Dark Souls game, and if anything the second game has gotten better treatment.

You still need DSFix.
It's kind of demanding on the CPU. It might be adequate but unpleasant especially in Blighttown with unlocked fps

Thanks. I might just get DS2 on the PS4 then.

So I'm in NG+ at SL 92, what bosses would I find the most traffic on to help people on?
Need to kill 4 to lower the requirement enough on Warrior of Sunlight covenant.

jb1234

Did you meet the person at the bottom of the tower in Upper Undead Burg? If not, it's probably best to cross his path from the top rather than from the Darkroot Basin side.

Yeah, I took care of him tonight. Tough battle. ;) After I did the Gardens, I polished off the Butterfly boss, Capra was embarrassingly easy this time around and I went through all of the Depths. I'm having a blast now. ;)

Top Bottom