• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So, I've heard armors are pretty much useless in DS and you should stay under 25% weight?

Bubububu pretty armors... :(
25% is the breakpoint for the quickest roll/run speed. Evasion is the best defense in Souls, but if you want to tank up you can do that too.

It's possible, by investing points in the endurance stat and wearing equip load boosting gear, to still go heavy tank and be under the 25%.

Blinck

So, I've heard armors are pretty much useless in DS and you should stay under 25% weight?

Bubububu pretty armors... :(

Not 100% true.

In fact, some armors pretty much break the game in non-newgame+, but they are very slow and not fun to use at all.

Still, you can wear some pretty cool armor and have fast roll if you invest in endurance and wear certain rings (both rings that do this are available very very early in the game).

heringer

Not 100% true.

In fact, some armors pretty much break the game in non-newgame+, but they are very slow and not fun to use at all.

Still, you can wear some pretty cool armor and have fast roll if you invest in endurance and wear certain rings (both rings that do this are available very very early in the game).
Hmm, I'm interested. What are the name of the rings and where can I get them?

Erheller

Havel's Ring and the Ring of Favor and Protection.

Havel's Ring gives you a 50% increase in max equip load. The Ring of Favor and Protection gives you a 25% increase if I remember correctly.

With Havel's Ring and 99 endurance you can ninja flip in full Havel's armor.

Blinck

Hmm, I'm interested. What are the name of the rings and where can I get them?

Havells ring can be obtained by killing havel, in the bottom floor of the tower just before the first boss.
Ring of Favor and Protection can be obtained by killing Lautrec, an npc that you can free in the church where you ring the first bell and kill what is usually the second boss. keep in mind that if you kill lautrec this early you wont be able to get his armor in this playthrough. i still recommend it though, its a great ring, but read its description carefuly !!!

^ Not just his armour but also the Dingy set, which is one of the best armour sets in the game and well worth leaving Lautrec along until later on. Killing him early to me is for speed runs, pvp builds whatever, the tiny gains you get from the ring with low stats make no sense to me when the cost is losing two armour sets and a questline/fun invasion, plus giving up a ring slot that early - crazy especially if you're using magic or like to switch rings a lot.

Crap. I don't have the key to open the door that leads to Havel. :(
You didn't pick the masterkey as your starting gift?

The key is
After killing the Moonlight Butterfly in Darkroot Garden
, you can also buy the master key quite early on:
after Domnhall moves to the Firelink Srhine aquaduct, which I think is after killing the Gaping Dragon in the Depths.

Blinck

^ Not just his armour but also the Dingy set, which is one of the best armour sets in the game and well worth leaving Lautrec along until later on. Killing him early to me is for speed runs, pvp builds whatever, the tiny gains you get from the ring with low stats make no sense to me when the cost is losing two armour sets and a questline/fun invasion, plus giving up a ring slot that early - crazy especially if you're using magic or like to switch rings a lot.

I agree with what you said, but I still think that for a first playthrough of the game, the Ring of Favor and Protection is fairly valuable, and more valuable than the armors that you get instead.
I mean, 20% for HP, Stamina and and Equip Burden is still quite a bit.
Unless Heringer really likes Lautrecs armor set ( which looks pretty sweet honestly, and has very good curse protection ), I think the ring is much more worth it.

Just a personal opinion of course!
I do agree that the whole storyline that unfolds with Lautrec alive it's pretty cool though.

Btw, if you want the armors AND the ring, this is still possible, just much later in the game.
trading the xanthous crown with the bird also gives the ring

heringer

You didn't pick the masterkey as your starting gift?

The key is
After killing the Moonlight Butterfly in Darkroot Garden
, you can also buy the master key quite early on:
after Domnhall moves to the Firelink Srhine aquaduct, which I think is after killing the Gaping Dragon in the Depths.

I didn't. Some people said it would break the flow of the game since I would be entering places I shouldn't.

Thanks for the tips! I just returned to Firelink Shrine.

heringer

Man, I've clocked almost 10 hours and I feel I barely made any progress. Is that normal? Haha

I reached two bosses that are too strong for me. A centaur with two dogs and a big serpent dragon...

Also, how do you avoid the slow magic that a big dude in an armor (in the forest) casts on you?

Man, I've clocked almost 10 hours and I feel I barely made any progress. Is that normal? Haha

I reached two bosses that are too strong for me. A centaur with two dogs and a big serpent dragon...

Also, how do you avoid the slow magic that a big dude in an armor (in the forest) casts on you?

Run away when he's casting it.

The one that slows you down? You can't if you're within their radius whilst the spell is active (it stays active for a period after they cast it). Either kill them before they get a chance to cast it or stay away from them! :p

Exuro

After about 5 attempts over the past 2 years of owning this game it finally clicked over this weekend. 14 hours playing yesterday and today and I just got to Anor Londo. I "get" the game now and I'm completely addicted to it. The gameplay is nice and tight and I'm having fun learning how to fight the bosses. I'm also glad that once I finish this there's DS2 I can start on.

Damn, I struggled SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO incredibly much with this game (and I liked and played Demon's Souls a lot)...

It just felt so bad. At the start, everything still felt alright.
It thought it was a little bit more demanding than Demon's, but well.

But after a while, it just felt "wrong". I couldn't exactly pin it down, but it just didn't give me the right vibes. I felt like, even after playing for 40 hours, I was still struggling with the most basic shit, and all my upgrades don't do jack shit.. I hated every aspect of that game, and I could not wrap my head around why it was so universally loved.

Then I read on the internet, that playing on Dark Souls UNPATCHED is just like that.. Yes, I played Dark Souls unpatched for all that time. My PS3 is not connected to the internet.

Now with the patched version it's like night and day.

The game is fun, everything feels right all of a sudden.
It's still punishing your errors, but it's a lot more fair now.

Now, when I am dieing , it feels I made the error, and it's not the game that's unnecessarily hard and unforgiving.

Upgrades to weapons and armor feel like improving something.

Some enemies which had ridiculously low souls reward for their power were nerfed a lot. Feels a lot more "natural" now (llooking at you, Balder Knights in the church)

Even the graphics look a bit more rounded. Some places where I had lots of frame skips before seem to run more fluid.

It's good that I didn't give up on the game before trying out the patched final version.

Blinck

There is a boss in that forest that is quite easy, so once you defeat those knights you should be able to beat another boss ! ( you can easily skip most of the knights as well )

Still having a blast. Beat O&S tonight (without summoning anyone, hell yeah!).

Congrats :D
I feel like that fight is so much better and more fun when doing alone. One really needs to be focused and just aware of everything. Just awesome :D

kaos.

Damn, I struggled SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO incredibly much with this game (and I liked and played Demon's Souls a lot)...

It just felt so bad. At the start, everything still felt alright.
It thought it was a little bit more demanding than Demon's, but well.

But after a while, it just felt "wrong". I couldn't exactly pin it down, but it just didn't give me the right vibes. I felt like, even after playing for 40 hours, I was still struggling with the most basic shit, and all my upgrades don't do jack shit.. I hated every aspect of that game, and I could not wrap my head around why it was so universally loved.

Then I read on the internet, that playing on Dark Souls UNPATCHED is just like that.. Yes, I played Dark Souls unpatched for all that time. My PS3 is not connected to the internet.

Now with the patched version it's like night and day.

The game is fun, everything feels right all of a sudden.
It's still punishing your errors, but it's a lot more fair now.

Now, when I am dieing , it feels I made the error, and it's not the game that's unnecessarily hard and unforgiving.

Upgrades to weapons and armor feel like improving something.

Some enemies which had ridiculously low souls reward for their power were nerfed a lot. Feels a lot more "natural" now (llooking at you, Balder Knights in the church)

Even the graphics look a bit more rounded. Some places where I had lots of frame skips before seem to run more fluid.

It's good that I didn't give up on the game before trying out the patched final version.

I envy you so much... I always wanted to try the unpatched version but it's not possible on PC... :-( :-( :-(

I am totally 5 years LTTP but I was on the train today thinking about Dark Souls (as you do) and out of the blue it hit me.

Solaire = Solar.

It never even accrued to me until today.

mfaex

Finally bought this during Xmas after they stripped gfwl. 109 hours played, max achievements. I thought I was done. But now I'm browsing for Dark Souls pictures and thinking about playing. Send help.

I'll get DS2 during a sale at some point.

heringer

Just got Havel's Ring! The enemy was actually quite easy. I just stripped my armor (to roll faster) and kept backstabbing him. Nice stuff.

Loving this game. Progress is very slow, but every small victory is so satisfying. I was enjoying Dark Souls 2 (before I lost my save 15 hours in), but this one feels much better. I think it might be the level design coupled with the atmosphere and more responsive gameplay (easier to parry and backstab).

2 does looks slightly prettier though (when properly modded). I'll start that one over eventually.

jb1234

Congrats :D
I feel like that fight is so much better and more fun when doing alone. One really needs to be focused and just aware of everything. Just awesome :D

For the first part, I used Iron Flesh so I could get Ornstein out of the way without worrying about Smough. After that, it was just a matter of tossing fireballs at Smough and staying out of the way of his attacks. I'm pretty pleased with myself that I haven't had to summon anyone to date. ;)

Bearer of the curse...believe.

BXDy3Y1l.jpg

(quick & dirty spider shield texture replacement)

Alright I'm SL120 and I don't think there's anything else I even want to level up.

50 Vit, 40 End, 40 Str, 25 Int, 14 Dex, 12 Att.

Have all spells and miracles, bought all the armour sets (that I know of).

And now I'm here fighting bosses with 300k souls on me because I have nothing left to spend them on. Feels weird.

Quck question guys....I have DS:prepare to die edition on Steam but I completed the game 2 times on ps3...

I only want to play the new DLC zones...there's any way to download a save file with the dlc zones open??

I don't want to replay the first 20 hours again...

chrixter

What the fuck at the complete drop in quality after the Four Kings. Steamrolled the last 6-7 bosses, including the final boss, on my first try. A few of them were insultingly easy. Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, and Kiln were disappointing as final areas. Just... what the hell happened there? I used a tankish dex build and was able to brute force my way through some tougher sections but still, I expected more challenge from the last 1/4 of the game.

Oh well, great game with some moments of brilliance, but I didn't fall in love with it. I'll give DS2 a shot some time.

What the fuck at the complete drop in quality after the Four Kings. Steamrolled the last 6-7 bosses, including the final boss, on my first try. A few of them were insultingly easy. Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, and Kiln were disappointing as final areas. Just... what the hell happened there? I used a tankish dex build and was able to brute force my way through some tougher sections but still, I expected more challenge from the last 1/4 of the game.

Oh well, great game with some moments of brilliance, but I didn't fall in love with it. I'll give DS2 a shot some time.

What soul level were you when you steam rolled it?

Whitebison, you'll be surprised how quickly you make back your progress on a fresh/second playthrough. It can be a really quick game once you've been through it once.

I envy you so much... I always wanted to try the unpatched version but it's not possible on PC... :-( :-( :-(

You know, this never occurred to me. I have it on PS3 too. I should really uninstall and play the unpatched version for kicks sometime. I got it on launch but it's obviously been a long time since I've played that version.

jb1234

66 hours in and almost finished. Just gotta tackle the Four Kings, do the DLC and then the final boss. What a game! I was a little disappointed with some of the final areas (Lost Izalith was especially crappy) but not enough to tarnish the game as a whole.

gogosox82

Quck question guys....I have DS:prepare to die edition on Steam but I completed the game 2 times on ps3...

I only want to play the new DLC zones...there's any way to download a save file with the dlc zones open??

I don't want to replay the first 20 hours again...

I don't think there is but it honestly only takes a few hours to get to the dlc.

Finally destroyed the Bell Demons with a lot of help from Solaire and some other knight that I don't remember. And then rang the first Bell of Awakening.

So relieved.

Have about 40 hours of gameplay so far. Beat the Capra Demon last, and went back to the Undead Asylum to find a bunch of new shit. Shit's REALLY starting to open up and I'm really excited.

I love this game. It's amazing. I just want to keep playing it.

Finally destroyed the Bell Demons with a lot of help from Solaire and some other knight that I don't remember. And then rang the first Bell of Awakening.

So relieved.

I fucked up and killed
Solaire
because I didn't know better, and used all my Gold Pine Resins, so I had to tackle that boss without any help. And I DID IT.

I fucked up and killed
Solaire
because I didn't know better, and used all my Gold Pine Resins, so I had to tackle that boss without any help. And I DID IT.

Whoa! Oh dear - killing an NPC really hurts my mind and I feel really empty after doing so :( But amazing that you still managed to kill the demons. Which class were you and how did you do it? I am playing as the Sorcerer class.

I used the summons just to see what they were like (I play offline) and they really helped me out. While they were busy slicing the demons up,
I stayed back and repeatedly pelted them with Heavy Soul Arrows

Tarkus

Have about 40 hours of gameplay so far. Beat the Capra Demon last, and went back to the Undead Asylum to find a bunch of new shit. Shit's REALLY starting to open up and I'm really excited.

I love this game. It's amazing. I just want to keep playing it.

I fucked up and killed
Solaire
What type of build and what weapon are you mainly using?

Whoa! Oh dear - killing an NPC really hurts my mind and I feel really empty after doing so :( But amazing that you still managed to kill the demons. Which class were you and how did you do it? I am playing as the Sorcerer class.

I used the summons just to see what they were like (I play offline) and they really helped me out. While they were busy slicing the demons up,
I stayed back and repeatedly pelted them with Heavy Soul Arrows

Yeah. I will be replaying the game after I beat it with Solaire alive. I've gone in mostly blind and I didn't realize until later that NPCs weren't just fluff, or that I didn't have to kill them once I pissed them off.

But as far as the Bell Gargoyles, I tried summoning Lautrec after I rescued him, but I had little humanity left because I didn't understand how that worked at the time either. They wrecked me, and I lost the ability to summon for a while.

I'm playing a Wanderer with high DEX. I got a good shield: I think Andre sells a good shield that can work, but I used Solaire's shield. I wouldn't recommend that, though, so I'd say one of the two best shields Andre sells work good. I leveled the shields to +5, then I took on the boss. When blocking, side swings wouldn't do any damage to me, and I could easily dodge the downward swings. I kept hitting from the side until the second one came down. Then I got nice and clear of their fire breath. I got them into the middle of the roof area and circled them so that I was never at their front, and went in for side strikes. Baiting them into breathing fire was a good tactic and I got lucky that they never blocked me off by breathing in hugely different directions. I also managed to get the Gargoyle Tail weapon and the Gargoyle Helm drops while I was at it. I managed to do it with a +5 rapier, but could've used Drake's Sword too, I guess. I just don't want to get reliant on it since I can't level it.

Originally the biggest problem I had was the fire, but once I got clear of that and got to where they couldn't trap me with it, the fight was made.

What type of build and what weapon are you mainly using?

High DEX wanderer with a +5 rapier. I've switched to
Drake's Sword
, though, until I can level my rapier more. I really like the two-handed shockwave attack on the sword. I've started using some sorcery too, mainly defensively. Managed to kill the
Hellkite Dragon
with the sword too.

Top Bottom