• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Hadn't played since the removal of GFWL and the region lock patch... Mother of god, it's like the amount of summon signs tripled. Really changing up my second time through, jolly cooperation indeed.

Edit: Going to do my best to solve the quests as I want too, doing a no-guide my first time through... I missed a bit. Want to save Sol so bad.

Hugstable

Banned
what is a good Strength weapons in the game? I got the Demon Mace but I can't use that til I got 46 STR, currently using the Zweihander +10. I was looking up greatswords and noticed I can make the Artorias one, but it seems that I need 18-20 in both Faith and Intelligence to use it? Pretty much seems useless for me now. Started STR character to use badass greatswords, but it seems like the only 2 I can actually use are the Kalameet and Gywn ones, but those are pretty much the end of the game, I want something to get me there hahaha.

Booshka

what is a good Strength weapons in the game? I got the Demon Mace but I can't use that til I got 46 STR, currently using the Zweihander +10. I was looking up greatswords and noticed I can make the Artorias one, but it seems that I need 18-20 in both Faith and Intelligence to use it? Pretty much seems useless for me now. Started STR character to use badass greatswords, but it seems like the only 2 I can actually use are the Kalameet and Gywn ones, but those are pretty much the end of the game, I want something to get me there hahaha.

Take your STR to 27 and 2 Hand anything with B or A STR scaling. Upgrade them to +10, and +14-15 when you can, they will all do solid damage.

Great Club, Man Serpent Greatsword, Demon Great Machete, Mace, Reinforced Club, Battle Axe, Large Club, and others are some of my favorites.

Zwei is fantastic as well, but there are better STR only weapons for damage. Don't bother with Faith or Intelligence for weapons, maybe level some Dex (18-20) for some more damage out of your Zwei, and more weapons to use as well.

I've been having success with the Demon Great Machete.

I still switch back to the Zweihander at times when I want the staggering effect of it.

f0rk

I beat the Capra Demon and am now in the Depths. I was rolling around killing rats pretty easily, then I fell down a hole and had to fight some really weird googly eye things which scared me shitless first time. That went OK, I killed the giant rat then eventually found the big teethy dragon boss. I died but think I could get him with another couple of tries.

Unfortunately I haven't learnt the layout of these dumb sewers and fell down the hole again. I was a bit annoyed so tried to run through all the weird gas dudes but I got stuck between 3 of them, the purple bar filled up and now I'm cursed?! Then I saw it's persistent after death so rage quit :(

Hugstable

Banned
I just discovered Dark Sun Gwyndolin as I never found him on my first playthrough. Now I'm wondering how so many people think Pinwheel or BoC is the worst boss in this game, this shit is way way worse. This is honestly the most bullshit fight I've ever seen in the series, I'm stumped at how they could have said "hey yeah this is a good idea for a boss fight, lets make the player run around a long hallway chasing a dude that teleports only allowing you one hit, if that. Oh and make sure the big blasts can't be blocked, and the other 2 attacks can stun lock you into death!" Like come on now, this fight is beyond shit.

Mistel

Banned
I just discovered Dark Sun Gwyndolin as I never found him on my first playthrough. Now I'm wondering how so many people think Pinwheel or BoC is the worst boss in this game, this shit is way way worse. This is honestly the most bullshit fight I've ever seen in the series, I'm stumped at how they could have said "hey yeah this is a good idea for a boss fight, lets make the player run around a long hallway chasing a dude that teleports only allowing you one hit, if that. Oh and make sure the big blasts can't be blocked, and the other 2 attacks can stun lock you into death!" Like come on now, this fight is beyond shit.
Did you not use the pillars? As for his spells they can all be blocked.

f0rk

Yo no jokes Ainsley Harriot
maxresdefault.jpg
just invaded me while I was lost in Blighttown. Luckily he left straight away I'm not sure I could have dealt with those cooking skills

jb1234

I'm doing pretty well so far. Polished off Quelaag (who was obnoxious) last night. Looking forward to more of the game tonight!

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Just killed Capra and Gaping Dragon, exploring the surrounding areas before I go down into Blighttown. This is the furthest I've ever played this game, when it first came out I played it to Blighttown and quit (mhhh wonder why lol). But definitely not this time! Having a great time.

Quick question, I just found the spider shield. Does it resist poison and toxic or just toxic? I know the blowdart guys in BT use Toxic because I just died to some of them exploring the back way in to BT (through Valley of Drakes). Is there anyway to see the poison resist stat? Saw it on the description but not in resistances or anything.

Second, how does Equip Load work? I noticed that if I equip the spider shield, which weighs 1 pound more than my current shield (Heater) I lose my quick roll. Even if I just put it in my "Second off-hand" slot. So if I'm standing around with my Heater shield out and the Spider shield "equipped" to that off-slot, I still have to pay the price for its equip load?

Gonna spoiler this whole post just because I see other people posting who are around the same areas of their playthroughs. Probably not first time but better safe than sorry.

Tarkus

^^It resists both. The poison resist stat is not visible, though it may produce a symbol under your bars if you're using the shield. I don't remember.

Yes, all current inventory items count against you. Just equip the Spider Shield in BT. Stay under 25% of the equip load for fast roll. Look under player stats in the start menu for your equip load. Under 50% gives you a medium roll.

Just killed Capra and Gaping Dragon, exploring the surrounding areas before I go down into Blighttown. This is the furthest I've ever played this game, when it first came out I played it to Blighttown and quit (mhhh wonder why lol). But definitely not this time! Having a great time.

Quick question, I just found the spider shield. Does it resist poison and toxic or just toxic? I know the blowdart guys in BT use Toxic because I just died to some of them exploring the back way in to BT (through Valley of Drakes). Is there anyway to see the poison resist stat? Saw it on the description but not in resistances or anything.

Second, how does Equip Load work? I noticed that if I equip the spider shield, which weighs 1 pound more than my current shield (Heater) I lose my quick roll. Even if I just put it in my "Second off-hand" slot. So if I'm standing around with my Heater shield out and the Spider shield "equipped" to that off-slot, I still have to pay the price for its equip load?
Re: equip load, yes the weight equipped includes what is off hand, if it's in a slot it's included. The spider shield should supersede the heater shield in every way, so no need to have both equipped if it takes you over the desired weight limit.

Spider shield blocks both toxic and poison 100% yep. Character poison resist stat is on your character status page, I don't think you can view an individual shields poison resistance like you can armour stats, but since it's 100% it doesn't matter.

vilmer_

Anyone remember the amazing pvp videos that were coming out of Japan in the early days of Dark Souls? I've actually managed to find some of those originals from Nico Nico that someone re-hosted on youtube. The guy that originally upped them to youtube (sansviedotcom) seems to have deleted his channel and totally vanished. I thought some of these old classics were gone forever!

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Oh my god on my second ever
Crazy Fire Witch Bitch
fight I
got her to like 5% so easily and died to a stupid lava misstep.

Now I keep dying over and over to stupid stuff, when did I become so dumb aghhgh

Oh my god on my second ever
Crazy Fire Witch Bitch
fight I
got her to like 5% so easily and died to a stupid lava misstep.

Now I keep dying over and over to stupid stuff, when did I become so dumb aghhgh

Yeah it's funny sometimes, like I can get Smough and ornstein by myself sometimes and yet other times, I need help so I summon.

Doing a low level run now (sl 13) and it's been OK so far, lots of summoning early game like at the undead parish, but later on no. I guess most ppl lvl up.

Booshka

Anyone remember the amazing pvp videos that were coming out of Japan in the early days of Dark Souls? I've actually managed to find some of those originals from Nico Nico that someone re-hosted on youtube. The guy that originally upped them to youtube (sansviedotcom) seems to have deleted his channel and totally vanished. I thought some of these old classics were gone forever!

Ya I miss sansvietdotcom, link to some of the videos you found? or the channel, I have a nico nico account, but don't check it out much. Would be interested in going back and watching the early days of Dark Souls PvP shenanigans.

M.D

I think its been at least a year now that I've been trying to beat Artorias

Not actually trying the whole yeat obviously, just trying to beat him every couple of months
months but with no success
I'm always afraid to dodge his attacks because this fucker locks on to you and eventually does his series of attacks that stun lock you till you are dead
I got better about it but I always screw up when he gets to use his second purple super power thing
This character is level 30 or 31 and I have some damn good gear thanks to a gaffer that I used to play with. Its been so long now I don't even remember what I have cleared on this character, but I want to finish the DLC so I can go into Dark Souls 2, even tho it would be really weird playint this on PC since I don't have a PS4.

Also, is the frame rate in the DLC reallly that bad or is my PS3 finally dieing?

Booshka

PS3 Framerate is worse overall than 360, and especially in the DLC, if you summon phantoms, then it gets even worse. Try to avoid long draw distances, and having a ton of characters on screen (Royal Wood) area. You can make it more manageable with how you move the camera around.

Crisco

Banned
Ugh, Stray Demon has got to be the most poorly designed boss in the game. The way the AOE can hit you from behind (ignoring your shield) and OHKO you is super lame and makes the whole fight really unintuitive. I got him eventually, but it was so tedious, lame, and boring.

Tarkus

Ugh, Stray Demon has got to be the most poorly designed boss in the game. The way the AOE can hit you from behind (ignoring your shield) and OHKO you is super lame and makes the whole fight really unintuitive. I got him eventually, but it was so tedious, lame, and boring.
That's probably the first boss where it's best to go in naked for maximum speed and roll (under 25% is prob fine since he'll one shot you anyway). Stay behind him. He telegraphs the AOE. You just have to figure out the safe distance from it. Don't get greedy with your follow up attacks either. Gotta leave some stamina to roll out.

Use a similar technique for a boss you have coming up.

Crisco

Banned
That's probably the first boss where it's best to go in naked for maximum speed and roll (under 25% is prob fine since he'll one shot you anyway). Stay behind him. He telegraphs the AOE. You just have to figure out the safe distance from it. Don't get greedy with your follow up attacks either. Gotta leave some stamina to roll out.

Use a similar technique for a boss you have coming up.

Yeah, I was able to figure it out and beat him with my regular equipment, but I just think it's a poorly designed fight. The AOE's area of effect and it's direction doesn't match it's visual representation at all. I got hit in the back by the forward firing one while strafing behind his left thigh and keeping my shield up. Unintuitive mechanics combined with grueling length and high penalty for failure makes it the only fight so far that lives up the most negative criticisms I've read about the games difficulty. Unfair and hard for the sake of being hard.

M.D

PS3 Framerate is worse overall than 360, and especially in the DLC, if you summon phantoms, then it gets even worse. Try to avoid long draw distances, and having a ton of characters on screen (Royal Wood) area. You can make it more manageable with how you move the camera around.
Playing Dark Souls 2 at 60 FPS is going to feel really weird after this :p
I was finally able to take down Artorias today, he was really easy after I put once I stopped fearing his attacks and started rolling and putting in hits whenever I could

Kalameet was even easier, there's a lot of time between his attacks to put in at least 1 or 2 hits

I assume there's not much to do after killing Manus? I don't even know if I'll try to take him down at this point if there's not much to gain from killing him and I'm not going to finish the rest of the game anyway

Is there any other areas to explore beside the town? Or anything hidden in there that I might have missed?

I'm pretty pumped for DS2 right now but not going to buy it till its cheap or I get a PS4

I read you can break the wall in Sen's Fortress leading to Logan with a strong weapon but I'm at it now and it doesn't seem to be working? :(

Hey there, my Dark Souls playing buddies. Is there a good reason as to why the first Dark Souls is not on PSN? Even the much older Demon's Souls has found it's way there. Can we expect Dark Souls to make an appearence sometime in the near future as well?

Molemitts

Yesterday I beat Ornsein and Smough without summoning for help for the first time. It's weird playing this after Bloodborne everything is so slow, especially healing. Trying to heal during combat has gotten me killed so many times.

Artorias and Manus are the only other bosses I haven't beaten solo, so I'm going to try them too. I think I can beat Artorias, I've come close so many times.

M.D

Yesterday I beat Ornsein and Smough without summoning for help for the first time. It's weird playing this after Bloodborne everything is so slow, especially healing. Trying to heal during combat has gotten me killed so many times.

Artorias and Manus are the only other bosses I haven't beaten solo, so I'm going to try them too. I think I can beat Artorias, I've come close so many times.

I beat Artorias yesterday and my advice would be to maximize your damage output during the fight - you have 3 instances where he is free to attack.
One is when he does a growl or whatever you wanna call it, you can put in at least one hit during that time and he does it a couple of times throughout the fight
The second is when he throws the purple stuff from the floor at you, you need to be on his right side iirc to not get by it and can put in 1 or 2 hits

Third is something I didn't realize and maybe its common knowledge, but I used to run away and use my flask and magic shield when he goes to that "MORE POAWWWWWWWAH" phase and get my ass kicked because of it a lot of times - run at him, switch to 2 handed mode and kick his ass to stun him and stop him from doing that!

Erheller

If you're bad at reading when Artorias is going to buff, you can two-hand a Zweihander. Its running attack will stagger him, so it gives you a little more time to react. Or if you're good, you can shoot him in the head with an arrow.

heringer

After 16 hours with DS2 I deleted my save by mistake. I was enjoying it, but wasn't blown away. It was my first Souls game.

Didn't want to restart, so decided to pick this up instead. After a few hours of tweaking and mod installing + SweetFX (wow at the initial state of this port, what a gigantic mess) and the game looks great. Maybe not as good as DS2 on a technical level, but the art direction starts more interesting.

Only a couple of hours in, but my initial impressions are more positive than my beginning with DS2. Great atmosphere and much easier to do criticals, windows is bigger and the animation is cooler.

Game seems more focused too. I at least have a vague idea of what to do.

We'll see. My spider sense tells me I'll enjoy this more.

Breathed a huge sigh of relief when I reached my first blacksmith Undead Parish. Taking a lot of advantage there to upgrade my equipment.

Now I feel stronger and more confident.

I thought I'd ignore that threatening boar enemy but I decided to give it a shot. I defeated him in a cheap way and got rewarded with the Fang Boar Helmet. It's also cool that certain enemies don't respawn.

This game's so rewarding! Progress feels satisfying and exciting.

chrixter

This is my first time playing Dark Souls. Sen's Fortress = feels like the real game has finally started, because it's been pretty smooth sailing otherwise (aside from bosses of course).

I've got Vit, End and Str all to 40, and now just got Int to 15 for Great Magic Weapon.

Is anything else even worth leveling up with my build? Just whacking things with a Demon Great Machete.

Might just dump points into Faith and get it to 25 to join the Sunlight covenant if nothing else is worth leveling.

I'll only be SL113 after that so still fine if I feel like doing PvP.

Wow, after struggling so much with O&S and resorting to summoning help in NG, I just beat them first try in NG+.

I have truly gotten better.

And yeah I'll go with the 25 int suggestion, that seems good.

Top Bottom