• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So I've played this game before on Xbox 360, somewhat familiar with it. Didn't get too far since I got rid of my console.

Playing it on PC like a year or two later so I had to start over. About ~2 hours in, someone invades me. Never had this happen when I played on Xbox so I had no idea what was going on. Some person just bowed, took a fighting stance, and then proceeded to kill me in one hit.
Not too bummed since I didn't lose that much progress and was able to recover my souls but, I'd prefer not to backtrack again when someone decides to invade/kill me again. Is there a way to turn these off/avoid them or something?

The starting area around the undead burgh is a major pvp zone where most people go to do their duels. So yeah, just go hollow through that section.

Last time I played the PC version (around 3-4 months ago) Undead Burg and Anor Londo were still really heavy pvp zones where you'll get invaded quite often. You'll rarely get invaded anywhere else cept when you get invaded by NPC's.

I'll also add Tomb of the Giants to that list as well, I got invaded quite often there.

strafer

Yeah, I play both Dark Souls 1 and 2 offline. I can't play online because I get so embarrassed when someone is invading me and getting owned.

Yesterday i started on my 3rd playthrough on a new game. (X360, PC, PC). Cant believe that i'm still discovering new things.

This game still is amazing.. @Seathe now.

moostake

Neo Member
So I've discovered pyromancy and I think it's the best. I don't really want to level up for awhile so I've put souls into +15 pyromancy and I'll probably upgrade it as far as it'll let me. I'm using the extra attunement slot ring so I have fireball and fire orb ready to deal out heavy damage when I'm in a bind.
I was really excited when I got an invader in the catacombs and destroyed him with 2 hits from a fire orb but then I got a item drop and realized it was an NPC.

Any advice for what fire stuff is the best? I know there's the other merchant but I can't seem to figure out the way down yet, and I quit the game after glitching down a ladder so I wouldn't lose all my souls.

Any advice for what fire stuff is the best? I know there's the other merchant but I can't seem to figure out the way down yet, and I quit the game after glitching down a ladder so I wouldn't lose all my souls.
The combusion spells are really fast, powerful with lots of casts and they're really all you need unless you specifically want to play with the other spells (which I recommend). The firestorm ones are also cool, but you have to know when to use them since the wind-up/down leaves you vulnerable and unable to move until it's cast.

For adding HUGE extra damage to your spells, you will also want to find the magic-boosting gear which also boosts pyromancy, find the magic teachers/merchants for those.
Location spoilers on where to find:
- Bellowing/Lingering rings from Griggs at Firelink after rescuing him from lower Undead Burg. iirc you need 10 or 11 in INT before he will open shop to you.
- Dusk Crown, found after killing the Darkroot Basin Hydra and rescuing Dusk from the golem she is trapped in.

There are three pyromancy trainers in total btw.

Also Power Within is an AMAZING pyro spell to look out for and with a fully maxed pyro flame and the gear above it will absolutely melt the face off any boss that isn't resistant to fire, and the ones that are it will still boost any and all your damage, not just spells like the magic-boosting gear. So it's worth using for any build, not just pyromancers.

Vamphuntr

How can you force Vsync? I'm using DSFix, set Vsync to on and there is a ton of screen tearing all the time. It's a huge turnoff to me.

zsswimmer

Can someone help me get Seath's tail? Im running a sorcer build with the bare minimum melee stats to wield the Moonlight Greatsword, so I'm using a lightning longsword which isn't cutting it off even after getting almost half his hp down entirely on the end of his tail. My whole character was made to get this damn sword, and his tail swipe and bash attacks are almost always insta-kill.

edit: level 47 btw

^ What platform?

Co-op is undoubtedly the easiest way to get the tail, but in case you have to do it solo - if you lure Seath at the start to destroy the crystal himself with his laser breath you have enough time whilst he is stunned to run around and cut it off them. And the damage has to be done to the tip or last quarter/fifth-ish of the tail, any further closer towards his butt won't count.

zsswimmer

On the pc, my sorcerer is like 55 now. Gonna grind a little in tombs and see if the summons are more common around 70ish. I tried that crystal break trick you mentioned but I still can't get around fast enough, or his tail ends up clipping into the wall :(

zsswimmer

Good luck. I've noticed that most of the people still PvPing are experts at roll backstabs and other BS tricks. Better get some VIT or you'll get one-shotted.

Thanks, I'm not too new myself but nothing like the pvp pros you can face in the series. My trick has been to make them think I'm entirely magic, using only spells and it'll get them to dodge them and run after me spamming melee attacks. Then when they get close, I'd pull out my lightning longsword and just go to town since they don't have defense in mind at all. Works pretty well, although with the MGS being bigger and slower might have to tweak it a little. Still lots of invasions in the forest though, I try to go easy on obvious noobs

Moonkid

Don't let him buff. He can be staggered out of his animation. Better do it quick though or you'll get blasted with AOE
Haha oh man if only I knew this when I was fighting him. I'd always end up fighting him after he stacked it three times which made the fight flippin' insane.

Hikami

Re: Invasion, it sucks. :I
Just completely kills any desire I have to play

Only reason I went human was to try out co-op by summoning a friend to help me out with a boss, didn't know you could still get invaded like that. Invader somehow manages to kill both my partner and I.

Invasions are an integral part of the series since the first game, and a part of the risk/reward balance of making the game easier with co-op.

Look at it like this, what are you really losing - 1 humanity per reverse hollowing? It's an infinite source consumable and can be farmed. If you're worried about losing souls, you shouldn't be - you're going to lose them some time and really you are better off in general not walking around with any large amount on you - if you're worried about losing them, spend them on leveling up, upgrade materials etc. Any time you need souls, just slap down your summon sign and do some co-op. Even early bosses like Quelaag and Gaping Dragon net you 10,000+ souls and 1 humanity. (You yourself don't have to be human to be summoned by other players - and that is all good practice for when you face the boss you're helping others with yourself)

It sucks when you're invaded early game by losers decked out in fully maxed out gear, but half way through the game you can potentially be matching them in that department and there are only a few really active invasion hotspots these days. That's how any pvp game is late in it's life, don't let it put you off playing one of the best games of the past generation.

Hikami

Yeah, I don't mind losing humanity and souls and such. I just dislike having to backtrack to go get them again.
Didn't know I could get summoned without being human though, I'll have to try that out next.

Anyways, instead of rage quitting this time.. I just tried again and summoned someone else. Managed to get to the boss and defeat it this time. Whew, finally some progress.

Was on Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga Tennessee and couldn't help myself.

OewTIC9.jpg

Hikami

Been cruising through the game ever since I got past the first bell area where I got stuck at. Just rang the second bell. This game is great, been having a lot of fun.

Tarkus

But the giant leeches are a plentiful and nutritious source of large and green titanite!

Some great loot in the upper part too. Don't forget to bring a pack lunch though, may I suggest something purple and maybe purple and blooming for dessert! :p
Don't forget to pack the spider plate to eat off of!

Grady

Invasions in dark souls 1 is what made it so tense and really makes you think about using humanity at bonfires and trying to solo a boss. Took all the suspense out of it in ds2 when you can just use an effigy right at the boss gate. No risk of dying on your way to the boss or invasions.

But the giant leeches are a plentiful and nutritious source of large and green titanite!

Some great loot in the upper part too. Don't forget to bring a pack lunch though, may I suggest something purple and maybe purple and blooming for dessert! :p

The ingredients are a bit time consuming to come by, at least from what I know about the game so far.

zsswimmer

Invasions in dark souls 1 is what made it so tense and really makes you think about using humanity at bonfires and trying to solo a boss. Took all the suspense out of it in ds2 when you can just use an effigy right at the boss gate. No risk of dying on your way to the boss or invasions.

I didn't like the change either, in Demons Souls you can use the Stone of Epemeral Eyes to turn human whenever you wanted to, but it made more sense in there due to only having an archstone at the very beginning of a level. Additionally they were rare to find (although Ds2 didn't have an overabudance of humanity imo), and if you wanted to buy from Patches it was expensive.

With Ds2, I find it hard to get through one playthrough completely, I didn't make it even to the castle in vanilla Ds2 on the 360, but I got through the DLC and stopped before the final boss in the game on the PC version of SotFS. For some reason I don't feel too motivated to go into NG+, the atmosphere took a big hit from 1 to 2 so that's probably why. Lots of eye candy but kinda felt slapped together, whereas almost all the places in the original felt like they belonged. Hell I even liked Lost Izilath and Demons Ruins, just though the bosses were weak.

Still better than a lot of games though, got probably 120 hours or so from it so I cant complain too much. It will be interesting to see which direction they will go in 3, I haven't watched the trailer as these games are best played without prior info. Hearing it looked a little quicker?

Don't forget to pack the spider plate to eat off of!
Perfect serving suggestion!

The ingredients are a bit time consuming to come by, at least from what I know about the game so far.
A couple of runs from the forest bonfire will get you tons of moss. My preferred way of farming moss is to use the ambush cove right around the corner from the bonfire, if you never pick up the item (just a low value consumable soul) in the middle of the 3 trees, they will never aggro allowing you to scoop them up one by one again and again. Slap your summon sign at the bonfire for co-op rewards or wear the cat ring for covenant rewards and kill two birds with one stone.

The female undead merchant also sells them, but I prefer organic.

I seem to have terrible trouble connecting backstabs/viscerals, even when stealthing dudes from behind. Is there a trick to it? Tried it a ton of times on the caped fuckers in undead parish (?), never connected once. This is my first souls game, only played BB before but then it was obvious since you had to do the heavy attack first and then the parry sound popped.

Anyway, freaking love it so far. Killed the bell gargoyles, and then finished my first sitting by getting killed by the capra demon. Can't wait to see what's next.

I seem to have terrible trouble connecting backstabs/viscerals, even when stealthing dudes from behind. Is there a trick to it? Tried it a ton of times on the caped fuckers in undead parish (?), never connected once. This is my first souls game, only played BB before but then it was obvious since you had to do the heavy attack first and then the parry sound popped.

Anyway, freaking love it so far. Killed the bell gargoyles, and then finished my first sitting by getting killed by the capra demon. Can't wait to see what's next.
Are you definately making sure your shield is down when doing it. The animation of dropping your shield should be fully complete before pressing the attack button, otherwise it will just attack, not backstab. It's something you do without thinking once you're in the groove, but is something that isn't really explained/talked about that much. The angle to get a backstab is pretty forgiving in DS1 so I would bet the animation is your problem.

strafer

So uh, something happened when I went to Blighttown to farm some shards from the leeches.

I encountered the guy who gave me the Pyromancy Flame but he was hostile and I killed him. What did I miss?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So uh, something happened when I went to Blighttown to farm some shards from the leeches.

I encountered the guy who gave me the Pyromancy Flame but he was hostile and I killed him. What did I miss?

I think it's because
you told him that you'd seen his mentor down in Blighttown, so he went looking for her.

As long as you bought every spell from him you didn't miss anything.

When you talk to him after upgrading the pyro flame beyond what he can do for you (i.e. you ascended it with Quelana) he will ask you a question, if you tell him the truth - which you did - he goes hollow as you found him.

zsswimmer

I ran into my first hackers in pvp the other day, it was pretty funny so I couldnt be too mad. It was in the forest and the guy had a stick thin body but a gigantic head, and moved across the entire forest in seconds. Hey also had two havelgiants with constant flaming weapons with him.

Ended up using fall control and jumped off to darkroot basin and the two havels following me died from the fall, so I guess that's something.

strafer

I think it's because
you told him that you'd seen his mentor down in Blighttown, so he went looking for her.

As long as you bought every spell from him you didn't miss anything.

When you talk to him after upgrading the pyro flame beyond what he can do for you (i.e. you ascended it with Quelana) he will ask you a question, if you tell him the truth - which you did - he goes hollow as you found him.

Oh yeah I remember that, didn't think he would literally go down there. I guess I need to tell him no next time, I liked his voice actor.

One thing I've noticed about spells though, you can't attune multiple spells of the same type and get more casts like you can in Dark Souls 2.

Hikami

Wish I had played this sooner. Co-op is fun but kind of hard to find summons/get summoned sometimes. Definitely have to get Dark Souls 3 at launch.

Edit: Huh. Interestingly enough, Steam stats say there's more people playing this game than Dark Souls 2.

Wish I had played this sooner. Co-op is fun but kind of hard to find summons/get summoned sometimes. Definitely have to get Dark Souls 3 at launch.

Edit: Huh. Interestingly enough, Steam stats say there's more people playing this game than Dark Souls 2.

Check the Thread title :D

Hikami

Check the Thread title :D
Yeah.. I thought all the hate for the sequel was just a gaf thing but apparently not.
--

Anyways, just beat the game. sogood.gif

I almost immediately want to start a new game but I'd actually like to try Dark Souls 2 next. Now to figure out which platform I want to get it on..

Decided to forgo Blighttown for the moment to explore the Undead Burg basement. I was stuck on the Capra Demon for the longest time since the wolves kept gangbanging me.

Gave up for the day, and now I beat him on my first try. Cool. Going to go explore the depths and see what's there.

Decided to forgo Blighttown for the moment to explore the Undead Burg basement. I was stuck on the Capra Demon for the longest time since the wolves kept gangbanging me.

Gave up for the day, and now I beat him on my first try. Cool. Going to go explore the depths and see what's there.
The start of your post and the end of your post together made me chuckle.

Top Bottom