• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I know it's probably been said thousands of times before but fcuk blightown and every creature in it, I found getting out far harder than it probably should have been but coupled with a shitty frame rate and those toxic tossers it was thoroughly unpleasant, the boss was easy enough though.

Booshka

Fucking Sen's.

I hate that place.

Move your camera around so you can get better depth perception of the swinging axes, if you are just looking straight at them, it can be tough to tell. Spin the camera around, or move it up a bit to get a better angle and see more clearly where you are in relation to them. Then make your moves.

Tarkus

I love Sen's. Magnificent level design and challenge. I wonder if people still PvP in the hidden area where the giant that lifts the gate is located.

I know it's probably been said thousands of times before but fcuk blightown and every creature in it, I found getting out far harder than it probably should have been but coupled with a shitty frame rate and those toxic tossers it was thoroughly unpleasant, the boss was easy enough though.

Blighttown was superb (so is Sen's).

For me it was 10x easier than Sen's. Blighttown is ALMOST, like 99.99% there - at the level of Valley of Defilement 5-2. The only thing that keeps it being worse is that the Toxic Spitters do not respawn. Once you kill them they are dead. It would add so much to the challenge if they were always respawning. They are the true enemy on this level, just like Giant Depraved Ones in the Valley (and they aways respawn).

Oh and the first Bonfire under the bridge is totes unnecessary.

Valley of Defilement >= Blighttown >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gutter

Goddamn you FROM SOFTWARE, you are doing swamps RIGHT!

Blighttown was superb (so is Sen's).

For me it was 10x easier than Sen's. Blighttown is ALMOST, like 99.99% there - at the level of Valley of Defilement 5-2. The only thing that keeps it being worse is that the Toxic Spitters do not respawn. Once you kill them they are dead. It would add so much to the challenge if they were always respawning. They are the true enemy on this level, just like Giant Depraved Ones in the Valley (and they aways respawn).

Oh and the first Bonfire under the bridge is totes unnecessary.

Valley of Defilement >= Blighttown >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gutter

Goddamn you FROM SOFTWARE, you are doing swamps RIGHT!

Haha very well put! As much as I hated it I can also appreciate it, the frame rate was the real killer for me, getting to the bottom wasn't bad but getting out, maybe I was a bit tired going through it but it really got my back up, the joy when I got back to firelink made it all worth while!

Ugh, for the first time in Souls history I had to search for a FAQ/ YouTube explaining what to do next, in fact TWICE:

- somehow I missed the upwards slope in
Tomb of the Giants
that brings you back up to the
Catacombs
. I was stuck down there, at the second bonfire near the "yellow fog door" for 2 hours. I was sure there was another way out, downwards, and you would end up in
Demon Ruins
. And I have even been back there where the exit is because I found the Large Divine Ember, eh.

Shame on me :(

- and of course in Anor Londo. I reached it about 10 hours ago but I did not know what to do and where to go - "yellow fog door" is up there as well. So I went back to Firelink Shrine and did A LOT of other content:
Great Grey Wolf Sif, Pinwheel, Moonlight Butterfly
, a lot of
Demon Ruins (up to the "yellow fog gate")
. But today I had literally nowhere else to go but Anor Londo and New Londo Ruins. Every other place is locked by "yellow fog door". So I wasted 1 hour in NLR trying to find something that will unlock the "yellow fog doors" but it just wasn't there. So I looked up online and ughhhh... I was there at least 12 times in Anor Londo but did not see that THIS is the way to go (after the first Gargoyle). I've opened the chest down there but did not see the walkway on the other side to the Cathedral/ Church. UGH.

Shame on me again :((

This has never happened in Demon's or Dark 2. I was always able to find my way around the maps even in Latria's maze/ Valley's swamp.

So now I am up againts the infamous Dynamic Duo and umm... I can kill the Fatty pretty consistently (hitting him for 250-380 damage with one hit of my Lightning Spear +3) but then the Speary's 2nd form is just undamageable. I hit him for 40-70 damage... I had 10 Estus for the 2nd form and only managed to reduce his health by 20%! Way, way, way too low. Another time I switched to Astora's Magic Sword +3 and it was doing even LESS damage to Speary's 2nd form (30-50). I think I gotta upgrade some CLUBZOR weapon and go to town with it.

And no, I want to and will kill the Fatty first.

Tarkus

^^I believe that Ornstein is pretty much immune to lightning damage. Sounds like you need to spend some time at the blacksmith. Hope you got the ember.

In general, elemental upgrades are not better than pure physical in this game.

Tarkus

Wow, Manus is such an asshole
Try the Silver Pendant to shield his dark magic attacks. Just remember to cast it before the magic hits as its duration is only a few seconds. You can just dodge them too. This fight is mostly about stamina management. That's why I like the Silver Pendant and a decently stable shield like the Crest Shield, which also has 80% magic reduction?

I actually think that Blighttown is the most interesting and unique level in the game(at least so far). Traversing that shacks there with all the ladders and elevators remind me of a very simple platformer.

But yeah, the frame rate kills it though. The game's frame rate in other areas already gives me headaches, but I feel down right nauseous in that level. lol

I actually think that Blighttown is the most interesting and unique level in the game(at least so far). Traversing that shacks there with all the ladders and elevators remind me of a very simple platformer.

But yeah, the frame rate kills it though. The game's frame rate in other areas already gives me headaches, but I feel down right nauseous in that level. lol

It's most certainly interesting in terms of design I just didn't really enjoy heading down there or more to the point I hated getting back out again, it's very cleverly laid out that's for sure.

One thing I am appreciating having come into it straight from DS2 is how much better the world feels in terms of getting around, yes it can be a pain to not warp to bonfires liek in DS2 (i'm about to go into Sens and I believe you get some sort of travel method after that). It's like when I went into Darkroot Basin and looked at the tower and figured it must lead back up top and sure enough it did via the Havel Beast!

When I first played this when it came out years ago I only ever got as far as ringing the first bell and that was it, I don't know why as I loved DES but now i'm maybe more patient than I used to be i'm loving it all over again despite the frame drops which can cause issues, when I fought the Gaping Dragon half the battle was against the FR but I suppose that's the trade off for a world that still looks fantastic!

Try the Silver Pendant to shield his dark magic attacks. Just remember to cast it before the magic hits as its duration is only a few seconds. You can just dodge them too. This fight is mostly about stamina management. That's why I like the Silver Pendant and a decently stable shield like the Crest Shield, which also has 80% magic reduction?

Yeah, had both of those but it was still tricky (framerate absolutely tanked in some instances too, which didn't help). It was a fun fight - hard hitting but well telegraphed attacks. Still, no matter how fun it is it always gets a bit frustrating to die 20+ times. But finally I got him, and it was very satisfying. I'm at what I'm guessing is the final fog gate now; it's been an amazing ride and I'm considering heading into NG+ straight away

Ornstein & Smough

Well I killed them finally :) The way I wanted - solo, no magic, melee only and Smough first.

img_49392zx5q.jpg

Took me only ~1.5 hours of trying them plus 2-3 hours grinding for Souls for material upgrades for Great Club and STR upgrade for Greatshield of Artorias.

My stats if anyone is curious:

img_4941u7a76.jpg

Equipment, <50% equipment load thanks to Mask of the Father and that Ring I got for killing that bastard Launtrec:

img_4942r9lor.jpg

As for the fight itself some stats:

- died 11 times to O&S
- died 5 times to Super Ornstein
- in the first phase used the shield ONLY to block "charging bull" Smough attack. I could never for the life of me roll out of his way.
- in the second phase I turtled 100%, just like Sir Alonne. TURTLE POWER!!! Super Ornstein's AoE slam took like 5% of my health.

That's not bad considering Fume Knight killed me 63 times before I got him. When I finally upgraded my Great Club to +10, only for this one particular boss fight, I was very happy with the results as it was dealing 230 damage to Super Ornstein vs 70 damage of my Lightning Spear +3. HOWEVER Smough took only 230 damage from the GC+10 vs 280-320 damage from Lightning Spear +3! That's why I used 2 weapons in this fight - LS+3 for Smough and GC+10 for Super Ornstein.

So when I first battled Super Ornstein with my GC+10 it was smooth sailing until he got like 50% of health left. Then he impaled me. Uh, ok, I do not remember this move must be a new one. Then he impaled me AGAIN, immediately. I had 10% of health left. That's bad. Then he does the impaling attack AGAIN (!!!) for the 3rd time IN A ROW. I try to roll (hey it's like Pursuer's) but the MOTHERFUCKER IMPALES ME FOR THE 3RD TIME AND KILLS ME.

I was furious. I was so angry that I lost 6 next fights with O&S in the first phase. Then I finally got to Super Ornstein again. And guess what happened. HE IMPALED ME AT THE BEGINNING!!! So that's kind of good cause I learned this is his normal move and not something he "unlocks" after losing 50% health. It made me calmer and the next time he tried this I avoided. And then I learned to avoid it always :)

And then that bitch DIED.

Is this battle harder than Fume Knight? Hmm... not really. I think it depends on who you want to kill first.

Tarkus

I beat Gwyn... I did it.

First attempt today, and he died.

So happy.

Only took five attempt total to get rid of him...
What do I do now?
Start a new character and play in a completely different way. Try a full mage or cleric. Try PvP: Oolacile Township is still kicking for PvP and co-op. Go back through and make sure to get all the dialogues.

Yeah but... why?
If you want to keep playing. If you don't then don't bother with NG+ it doesn't add anything more except upping the difficulty and you can get Gwyn's gear and weapon (or use his soul for a miracle) which you can't get until NG+

If you're going for achievements/trophies then you need to go through to NG++ as well iirc. I agree with SourShoes, starting a new character and playing a completely different way is a good way of getting more out of the game. Going full-on mage is a very different way of playing if you were melee-only the first time around.

kewlmyc

As someone who just beat Dark Souls after first beating Bloodborne, where is the best logical step to go?

1. Play Demon's Souls
2. Play Dark Souls 2
3. Skip both and wait for Dark Souls 3

I heard that Demon's Souls is pretty dated at this time and that Dark Souls 2 is disappointing. Are either of those true?

As someone who just beat Dark Souls after first beating Bloodborne, where is the best logical step to go?

1. Play Demon's Souls
2. Play Dark Souls 2

I heard that Demon's Souls is pretty dated at this time and that Dark Souls 2 is disappointing. Are either of those true?

Demon's is not anymore dated that Dark Souls 1. Demon's has incredible atmosphere, even more oppresive than Blighttown/ Sen's Fortress in the majority of locations. Very memorable bosses and NPCs. Also best level design in the series and best levels in history.

Dark Souls 2 *is* disappointing compared to Demon's/ Dark 1 and also terribly, terribly easy. Warping between bonfires from the very beginning and bonfires every goddamm 100 meters break the damn game. 75% of the bosses are Big Armoured Guys with Axe/ Halberd/ Sword. The only good bosses are in the 3 DLCs.

I mean if you even remotely liked Dark 1 then you will LOVE Demon's. Dark 2 will make you cry thinking "what could have been"...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Souls 2 *is* disappointing compared to Demon's/ Dark 1 and also terribly, terribly easy. Warping between bonfires from the very beginning and bonfires every goddamm 100 meters break the damn game. 75% of the bosses are Big Armoured Guys with Axe/ Halberd/ Sword. The only good bosses are in the 3 DLCs.

I mean if you even remotely liked Dark 1 then you will LOVE Demon's. Dark 2 will make you cry thinking "what could have been"...
All of this post is false, a lot of it factually so.

PS: Dark Souls 3 will have bonfire warping from the start. GAME BROKEN

1. Play Demon's Souls
2. Play Dark Souls 2

Play demon's

1. Play Demon's Souls
2. Play Dark Souls 2

I'm hoping to get a remastered Demon Souls one day, so I'm holding out on it.

As for Dark Souls 2, I love playing it. The story and world is way better in 1, but I prefer actually just playing Dark Souls 2. I loved Dark Souls, favorite game of all time, but I prefer to play Dark Souls 2 over it.

Tarkus

Having done the bosses multiple times each (some like O&S over 30x), I absolutely think Manus is the hardest boss followed shortly by Kalameet, hands down. I'm running into a wall trying to solo Manus with my DEX SL 70. The Estoc has finally failed me.

But when I do beat him. I will have a feeling of conquest that no other game has ever delivered.

For those who need some reinforcement of the story with insider details and a general walkthrough, check out epicnamebro's YouTube playlist Let's Play: From the Dark. He does a fantastic job and is the reason for my current play through.

I just hate the run back to Manus. That fucking sorcerer makes it a chore because ok it's a trek back to Manus, but having to either kill or dodge that guys attacks makes it difficult to concentrate on actually learning the fight because it feels like a fight just to get there and sometimes the run back can be longer than the fight itself (say if you're doing a low level run with base HP). I don't like that about the Manus fight, it makes it easier to cheese him whenever I'm doing a run which sucks because I never learnt to trult fight Manus - I admit I pussy out 7 times out of 10 on a run because of it.

Tarkus

^ I've never tried this shortcut, but can't you bypass all the bloatheads and the sorcerer by dropping into the Chasm from the Royal Wood lift, and then go immediately to Manus unscathed?

^ I've never tried this shortcut, but can't you bypass all the bloatheads and the sorcerer by dropping into the Chasm from the Royal Wood lift, and then go immediately to Manus unscathed?
I guess you're right, I've never done that either I always come from the jail bonfire. Either way it's quite the trek back. A shorter shortcut would've been nice.

Lumine

Quick question: when should I access the DLC area? Before or after (what I think is) the final boss? I just defeated Bed of Chaos (awful boss) and now have all 4 lord souls. Thanks!

Tarkus

Quick question: when should I access the DLC area? Before or after (what I think is) the final boss? I just defeated Bed of Chaos (awful boss) and now have all 4 lord souls. Thanks!
Before. If you face the final boss and win, you'll be in NG+

Red Hood

Banned
Finally made it to Gwyn.

Kicked my ass twice, time to get some rest. He's too fast for me, don't even have time to heal.

My advice would be to go all out on either agility or armour.

When I beat him the first time, I was rocking the Havel's armour set and his great-shield to complete the style. Very, very close to my equip burden limit. It's pretty much a battle of stamina at that point, whenever he finishes his combo, try to get a hit or two in before replenishing your stamina. Rinse and repeat. Havel's Ring helps to equip an even more best weapon.

Alternatively, equip light armour to stay just under the 25% equip load (Havel Ring's helps a lot) and dodge all his attacks before landing in one or two hints before replenishing your stamina. The Cloranthy Ring in
The Great Hollow
behind Blighttown helps a lot.

Or you could parry and riposte that fool, which is how I've beaten him the other three times, can be done by pretty much every build (unless you have a great-shield, only regular shields work for parrying). If you have the Hornet's Ring (behind the grave of
Artorias where you fight Sif
)) equipped, the fight is over in three or four ripostes.

Just did Gwen too. With midroll and a +10 shield it was tricky to withstand his combos with enough stamina and still get away or counter attack. He killed me several times which was frustrating since he seemed easy enough but it was hard for me to get the parries down and it was really hard to find time to heal before he insta-rushed me (thank god for pillars). Great, great fight though.
What a perfect finish.

So finally did my first run of DS, which, besides Bloodborne, was my first proper souls game and it was quite a ride. Some frustrating parts but absolutely enthralling most of the time. Will probably try DS2 now but can't wait to play this again later on.

Kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering what the face icons represent next to player messages. I mostly see 99% ugly hollow faces, but on occasion I see ones with the bucket helmet like Solaire and a few other fancier ones. Particularly notable is one message in front of the Firelink bonfire with around 3600 ratings saying "bonfire ahead". I'm on my seventh or so playthrough and am curious as to the icon's meaning.

And holy shit does the Great Scythe rock. Never used a dex build before but that things bleeding effect rips enemies to shreds.

Kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering what the face icons represent next to player messages. I mostly see 99% ugly hollow faces, but on occasion I see ones with the bucket helmet like Solaire and a few other fancier ones. Particularly notable is one message in front of the Firelink bonfire with around 3600 ratings saying "bonfire ahead". I'm on my seventh or so playthrough and am curious as to the icon's meaning.

And holy shit does the Great Scythe rock. Never used a dex build before but that things bleeding effect rips enemies to shreds.
The different icons on player messages related to how many votes the message has.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/orange-guidance-soapstone

The ones right on top of bonfires that say "bonfire" piss me off - at least be funny! The people upvoting these are worse than the ones leaving the messages.

My favourite place to leave a message is the one dude in upper Blighttown who's just chillin' in a jar, I like to leave "comfort" lol. The laidback hollow chillin' near Rickert is another cool dude who gets a nice message next to him every time I play! That guy is my favourite NPC.

Thanks that makes perfect sense now. Although in the back of my mind I had the absurd thought of, "was that message actually left by the npc Solaire?" I'm still amazed how I seem to notice something new on each playthrough. The Souls series are surely games of forever if there ever were any. I know they've saved me money on new games since I could just try another build.

My advice would be to go all out on either agility or armour.

When I beat him the first time, I was rocking the Havel's armour set and his great-shield to complete the style. Very, very close to my equip burden limit. It's pretty much a battle of stamina at that point, whenever he finishes his combo, try to get a hit or two in before replenishing your stamina. Rinse and repeat. Havel's Ring helps to equip an even more best weapon.

Alternatively, equip light armour to stay just under the 25% equip load (Havel Ring's helps a lot) and dodge all his attacks before landing in one or two hints before replenishing your stamina. The Cloranthy Ring in
The Great Hollow
behind Blighttown helps a lot.

Or you could parry and riposte that fool, which is how I've beaten him the other three times, can be done by pretty much every build (unless you have a great-shield, only regular shields work for parrying). If you have the Hornet's Ring (behind the grave of
Artorias where you fight Sif
)) equipped, the fight is over in three or four ripostes.
Thanks for all the advice, but I've already beaten him a couple days ago.

Now I just killed the capra demon in NG+.
Only boss that managed to kill me so far was the Moonlight Butterfly, couldn't remember anything about that fight :D

This must be one of the few games where you can't play through a bad session, got past the 2 Anor Londo archers no problem cleared most of the silver knights after the bonfire, had a break for tea and I've just got worse and worse since, I know how to beat them but they're destroying me now so I've turned it off before the controller gets smashed against the wall!

I think the part in Anor Londo where you have to walk along the planks above the Painted World painting is the most nerve wracking thing in the entire game for me. The feeling of vertigo I get makes me want to turn off the game and cry. I can do it just fine but I really start to tense up more than anywhere else in the game.

Nothing in Dark Souls 2 is remotely as bad as Lost Izalith.

Lost Izalith isn't that bad (well, I still haven't played DS2), but still under utilized enough for it to be the worst area in the game for me. The enemies aren't good or fun, but it looks cool as fuck. Besides Lost Izalith, Anor Londo - not including the painted world - was probably the worst area for me. Tomb of the Giants and The Great Hollow were the two most frustrating parts, but AL is so disappointing after the first 10 mindblowing seconds.

New Londo is sooo fucking cool though.The Duke's Archives is also ace. I really liked post-AL content overall, and the move to warping at that point is so well balanced, when shit starts sprawling out and it would be such a hassle to move around without it. Oh, and the DLC is amazing.

I've digested my first DS playthrough for a couple of days now, and I love it so much. Plan to start DS2 tomorrow, with reasonably high expectation despite it being put down a lot here. I just need more of this, all of it.

Top Bottom