• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I think it looks great, I'm going to try and find time to watch Lobos' runthrough with the mod this weekend. I'd install it and give it a play but my creaky old PC could just about handle DS1 and make it look like the PS3 version, so I think mods are out!

So. These archers in Anor Londo are interesting.

That's the little area I was talking when you asked earlier if Blighttown was the most annoying area. Booshka just makes it looks easy while also playing nice tunes in the background. It's really a cunt section.

oh god this is the spot I'm at now and it was driving me insane, I finally make it though and die
where that trap treasure chest is

Tarkus

Damn some people have those backstab angles down to a science. This is one of the reasons Dark Souls II was vastly superior in PvP.

Holmes

Four Kings down! Had stamina regen with Green Blossoms, I wailed on them with a two-handed weapon and drank estus every time I was out of stamina. I eventually won the DPS race.

oh god this is the spot I'm at now and it was driving me insane, I finally make it though and die
where that trap treasure chest is
There's a bonfire like in the next room after getting past the archers dude!

Four Kings down! Had stamina regen with Green Blossoms, I wailed on them with a two-handed weapon and drank estus every time I was out of stamina. I eventually won the DPS race.

There's a bonfire like in the next room after getting past the archers dude!

Yeah I have no idea how I missed it the first time. Finally at the boss of this area, the fat dude and the skinny dude. Anyone got any tips?

Tarkus

Yeah I have no idea how I missed it the first time. Finally at the boss of this area, the fat dude and the skinny dude. Anyone got any tips?
2-hand a weapon and use the columns to your advantage. People generally find it easier to take out Ornstein first. Roll like crazy when they jump in the air after you've super-sized one of them. Congrats, you're at one of the best battles in all Souls/Borne games.

Holmes

When Patches kicks you down the hole in the Tomb of Giants with one Estus flask left and you're looking for the bonfire.

tumblr_inline_nr4zhtbbS71ryw50a_500.gif

2-hand a weapon and use the columns to your advantage. People generally find it easier to take out Ornstein first. Roll like crazy when they jump in the air after you've super-sized one of them. Congrats, you're at one of the best battles in all Souls/Borne games.

fuck it took me forever but I finally smoked those fools!!!!

soooo anyone wanna give me a tip on where to go after beating Ornstein & Executioner Smough?
You got the Lord Vessel from giant Ms. Boobatron? You can now use bonfires to warp around the world - go back to Frampt and see what he has to say - after interacting with him and the next small area the next cutscene will tell you exactly where to go - it's up to you in what order you want to tackle the rest of the game though.

You got the Lord Vessel from giant Ms. Boobatron? You can now use bonfires to warp around the world - go back to Frampt and see what he has to say - after interacting with him and the next small area the next cutscene will tell you exactly where to go - it's up to you in what order you want to tackle the rest of the game though.

thank youu

nilbog21

Banned
OT's title could not be more wrong.

I played Dark souls on PS3 and I just installed this god awful port on PC. I installed DSfix and DSmsfix so I can play with K&M. I really enjoyed the K&M setup on DS2, is there any way to get the controls setup similarly to DS2? Or are the controls just different?

Any tweaks to visuals or controls I can do to make my experience more enjoyable? I miss DS2 which looked and ran beautifully. controls were very good too.. Can't really say the same for this game so far

Booshka

OT's title could not be more wrong.

I played Dark souls on PS3 and I just installed this god awful port on PC. I installed DSfix and DSmsfix so I can play with K&M. I really enjoyed the K&M setup on DS2, is there any way to get the controls setup similarly to DS2? Or are the controls just different?

Any tweaks to visuals or controls I can do to make my experience more enjoyable? I miss DS2 which looked and ran beautifully. controls were very good too.. Can't really say the same for this game so far

It's a bad port, but the PC version is the best version once you get everything going well. Play with a controller.

Holmes

I hate the Stray Demon and the Demon Firesage. They kept wrecking my shit. I was able to defeat Seath and Nito so easily, but these bastards kept stunlocking me with their explosion attacks.

PvP is pretty fun now that I actually know how to play the game. I had a really thrilling invasion in the golem forest of Duke's Archives. I didn't have time to clear out the area of the golems, so I kept getting him down to his last sliver of health, when he would use the golems against me and distract me while he healed. It was very fun.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I hate the Stray Demon and the Demon Firesage. They kept wrecking my shit. I was able to defeat Seath and Nito so easily, but these bastards kept stunlocking me with their explosion attacks.

Trick is to be behind them 100% of the time. This is a lot easier done for Stray Demon. Firesage really, REALLY likes to go out of his way to try and face you so it takes a lot more effort to stay behind him. Once you get Stray into a loop where you're behind him you can take him down without taking damage while he futilely tries to explode you but whiffs completely. Firesage likes to do backwards jumps a lot so you need to sprint at him and roll towards him in order to get behind him to dodge the explosion.

I agree for the most part tho, those bosses both give me a lot more trouble than a lot of more grandiose bosses.

Tarkus

I almost stopped playing because of Stray Demon. Bear in mind, I went back to the asylum after ringing the first bell at a low level with a shit weapon. He probably killed me more than any other boss in the game.

I only have my own experience to back this up (and it's dozens of playthroughs) but the Asylum/Stray/Firesage Demons weakspot might be it's belly. I know they're susceptable to bleed in general but if you do enough damage of any kind to their front you can get them into a loop where all they do is fly up, land, you go in for damage on it's gut and it will 99.9% fly up again and just repeat until dead.

A couple of blasts of combustion, or a couple heavy weapon smacks will always put them in this loop. It feels like it's part of the AI that if it gets X amount of damage to it's frontside then it will fly up as if it's trying to escape. That's how I always kill them any way.

Woffls

I am getting so fucking pissed off with O&S in NG+2. I must be doing it wrong because I'm level 180 and it just never feels like I'm on top of the fight.

Generally, should I be blocking and locking or trying to dodge everything?

I am getting so fucking pissed off with O&S in NG+2. I must be doing it wrong because I'm level 180 and it just never feels like I'm on top of the fight.

Generally, should I be blocking and locking or trying to dodge everything?
You can block, but if you can dodge - why block? The strategy to fight them doesn't change the higher the NG+ just the damage they do, and I think I'm right in saying the biggest leap is from NG to NG+, so you've already passed that hurdle.

If you're blocking, do so with a high stability shield, but I prefer to go light and roll dodge everything.

Woffls

You can block, but if you can dodge - why block? The strategy to fight them doesn't change the higher the NG+ just the damage they do, and I think I'm right in saying the biggest leap is from NG to NG+, so you've already passed that hurdle.

If you're blocking, do so with a high stability shield, but I prefer to go light and roll dodge everything.
I just started trying dodging instead with some light armour (Painted Guardian seems to have good lighting res) and I just can't dodge some of Smough's attacks. I've gotten one hit away from getting to stage two, but it's still frustrating as hell.

[edit] This shit is ridiculous. I can get to Super Ornstein a lot more often now, but his lightning spear move is bullshit. Even if I'm standing right under him, he'll magically be able to reach me and I get destroyed. I try and stay behind, but the camera is fucking unreliable.

Holmes

I just started trying dodging instead with some light armour (Painted Guardian seems to have good lighting res) and I just can't dodge some of Smough's attacks. I've gotten one hit away from getting to stage two, but it's still frustrating as hell.

[edit] This shit is ridiculous. I can get to Super Ornstein a lot more often now, but his lightning spear move is bullshit. Even if I'm standing right under him, he'll magically be able to reach me and I get destroyed. I try and stay behind, but the camera is fucking unreliable.

Try using a Green Blossom and Great Magic Shield?

Woffls

Try using a Green Blossom and Great Magic Shield?
My shielding and def is fairly good - it's just those situations where they both hit me a bunch of times in succession and there's no hope of escape.

I generally avoid using items because psychologically that run becomes more important, otherwise I've wasted an item, and I end up doing poorly.

Just this minute managed to beat them. I was just really reserved when facing Super Smough and only hit him after specific attacks, and just focussed on not getting hit. I got hit once in the end. I think I deserve a gin and tonic now because that shit is stressful.

Booshka

sooooooo is Pinwheel suppose to be an incredibly easy boss? I literally had to use my flask once during the fight

Getting to him is harder than fighting him. Notorious joke boss in the game, his boss music is really good, but he dies so quickly no one ever hears it.

nilbog21

Banned
OK guys ive been trying to set up with DSFIX this for the PC but it just runs like complete shit.

DS2 ran on my pc at 1920x1080 on max settings 60fps flawlessly. ran and looked beautiful

now this shitty port runs at like 15 fps and just looks and feels awful

is there a tutorial I can follow to fix this these issues I am having?

edit: OK I downloaded fraps and this is very strange. It will say I'm getting 55-60fps but yet it feels choppy especially in exterior settings. Sometimes I will tab out and then tab back in and get a constant 30fps for a while... then it will go back up to 60fps and feel smooth for a while. Fraps will say im getting 55-60fps but it feels like complete shit to me. What is going on with this garbage port

Holmes

Fuck you Sif and fuck you Greatsword of Artorias. Accidentally made two of the same one instead of the two different ones. Time for another playthrough I guess.

sooooooo is Pinwheel suppose to be an incredibly easy boss? I literally had to use my flask once during the fight
He is easy, but it also depends when you face him. He could actually be the first boss you face after leaving the Asylum and fighting him with poor magic defense and an unupgraded weapon can be as tough as any other boss. If you face him after placing the Lord Vessel like the majority of players do, he can be done in 3 seconds and before he even summons his first doppleganger. Try facing him with only the 6 firebombs you pick up at Firelink Shrine, and dodging a room full of him all blasting magic at you!

soo I'm in the Tomb of Giants now or whatever and this place suuucckkkkks. I have the skull latern thing but man it's hard finding where to do. I'm trying so hard to not look at guides too much but I may have to. This game is loads harder than Bloodborne

soo I'm in the Tomb of Giants now or whatever and this place suuucckkkkks. I have the skull latern thing but man it's hard finding where to do. I'm trying so hard to not look at guides too much but I may have to. This game is loads harder than Bloodborne

Look for the bonfire after descending the tombs and go right, there is a ladder barely visible

2AdEPT

OK guys ive been trying to set up with DSFIX this for the PC but it just runs like complete shit.

DS2 ran on my pc at 1920x1080 on max settings 60fps flawlessly. ran and looked beautiful

now this shitty port runs at like 15 fps and just looks and feels awful

is there a tutorial I can follow to fix this these issues I am having?

edit: OK I downloaded fraps and this is very strange. It will say I'm getting 55-60fps but yet it feels choppy especially in exterior settings. Sometimes I will tab out and then tab back in and get a constant 30fps for a while... then it will go back up to 60fps and feel smooth for a while. Fraps will say im getting 55-60fps but it feels like complete shit to me. What is going on with this garbage port
I never had any problems with DSFix and yes there are many tutorials both from the developer and on Steam. I got it runnign downsampled from 5k to 2560 on a Korean monitor it looked even better than ds2 which for whatrever reason didnt allow me to downsample that distance and had to keep it at 2560 to 1080 (oh yeah it was becuaseof my desire to use a capture card). I was a noob Pcer so it didnt require any previous knowledge of PCing to get it looking amazing and despite a few glitches with the ladders (just learned which ones not to speed down off the end of) and one jump, (although you can use a toggle command to do the one jump in 30FPS) it ran flawlessly. I am no expert but if I were a betting man your PC is perhaps not up to the challenge? that or you are not following the recommnedations of the developer to not turn this or that setting too high. DOF makes it look awful if you go too high.

Yup , all the souls games have their moments when you say that but generally speaking the first one you play is usually the hardest. It doesnt count to play BB first though because technically the gameplay witht eh float dodge makes it a totally different experience. That said TOTG can make any gamer humble. I inched my way to the first bonfire, but believe it or not, sometimes just runnign scared straight forward can pay dividends, you will miss some killer enemies, but you can always come back with a wiki in hand to be comprehensive.

also there is a hat you can find in
Lost Izalith
that shines light without having to press a button. THere is a limited time spell that does similar if you have enough INT, but cant recall where you get it.

Look for the bonfire after descending the tombs and go right, there is a ladder barely visible

I never had any problems with DSFix and yes there are many tutorials both from the developer and on Steam. I got it runnign downsampled from 5k to 2560 on a Korean monitor it looked even better than ds2 which for whatrever reason didnt allow me to downsample that distance and had to keep it at 2560 to 1080 (oh yeah it was becuaseof my desire to use a capture card). I was a noob Pcer so it didnt require any previous knowledge of PCing to get it looking amazing and despite a few glitches with the ladders (just learned which ones not to speed down off the end of) and one jump, (although you can use a toggle command to do the one jump in 30FPS) it ran flawlessly. I am no expert but if I were a betting man your PC is perhaps not up to the challenge? that or you are not following the recommnedations of the developer to not turn this or that setting too high. DOF makes it look awful if you go too high.

Yup , all the souls games have their moments when you say that but generally speaking the first one you play is usually the hardest. It doesnt count to play BB first though because technically the gameplay witht eh float dodge makes it a totally different experience. That said TOTG can make any gamer humble. I inched my way to the first bonfire, but believe it or not, sometimes just runnign scared straight forward can pay dividends, you will miss some killer enemies, but you can always come back with a wiki in hand to be comprehensive.

also there is a hat you can find in
Lost Izalith
that shines light without having to press a button. THere is a limited time spell that does similar if you have enough INT, but cant recall where you get it.

ended finally finding both Bonfires and I can make it to Nico with ease but then I get rekt trying to fight him. I dont have a divine weapon yet so these dam skeletons with him keep coming back to life and are making it quite difficult. Might just warp out of here and come back later

ended finally finding both Bonfires and I can make it to Nico with ease but then I get rekt trying to fight him. I dont have a divine weapon yet so these dam skeletons with him keep coming back to life and are making it quite difficult. Might just warp out of here and come back later
If you picked up the Occult club in Anor Londo you can take it to Andre and unascend it back to a Divine Club +5.

Also if you don't stray too far to the back of Nito's room you won't agro the big skellies which makes things a lot easier. Might be worth making sure you have a few blooming purple moss at hand too since one of Nito's attacks causes toxic.

If you picked up the Occult club in Anor Londo you can take it to Andre and unascend it back to a Divine Club +5.

Also if you don't stray too far to the back of Nito's room you won't agro the big skellies which makes things a lot easier. Might be worth making sure you have a few blooming purple moss at hand too since one of Nito's attacks causes toxic.

thanks I was able to use the Occult club to take out the skeletons and then after that Nico was pretty easy

Woffls

Shiiiit. Decided to have a wander around before ringing the bells and I got stuck in the Tomb of Giants. I'm trying to work my way back out, but there's a bunch of skeletons and loads of skeleton wheels between me and the next bonfire. This might take a while.

Who legitimately found the DLC area without looking it up? I tried to do a legit blind 100% walk-through of the game but after beating it I didn't find the DLC area. I even killed the hydra and entered the lake cave but it was empty. Turns out you have to RESET the area to have the golem spawn? BS.

Who legitimately found the DLC area without looking it up? I tried to do a legit blind 100% walk-through of the game but after beating it I didn't find the DLC area. I even killed the hydra and entered the lake cave but it was empty. Turns out you have to RESET the area to have the golem spawn? BS.
I'm pretty sure Kay of Kay plays on youtube found it legit with detective work on her DS1 let's play.

I think most people who had the game before the DLC came out (i.e. console version) wouldn't have since you just paid fifteen quid for the DLC, you want to know how to get to it asap.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I looked it up AND still couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. I had to have it explained to me as if I was a child.

DemiMatt

Is there any way a boss can respawn in DS? Also is it possible to get to the Gargoyles without fighting the Taurus Demon on the bridge?

I ask because in my current NG+ game, I already rung both bells of awakening, go to Anor Londo, killed Seeth, and finished the DLC. I ran back to fight the Red Drake on the bridge, and on my way there the Taurus Demon popped up and I fought him & killed him. I feel like he respawned, but I don't remember if I fought him or not.

I know the Sanctuary Guardians respawn, so is this the same case?

Booshka

Is there any way a boss can respawn in DS? Also is it possible to get to the Gargoyles without fighting the Taurus Demon on the bridge?

I ask because in my current NG+ game, I already rung both bells of awakening, go to Anor Londo, killed Seeth, and finished the DLC. I ran back to fight the Red Drake on the bridge, and on my way there the Taurus Demon popped up and I fought him & killed him. I feel like he respawned, but I don't remember if I fought him or not.

I know the Sanctuary Guardians respawn, so is this the same case?

Bosses with Fog Walls and Boss HP bars do not respawn. You can avoid and come back to a lot of different bosses with the Master Key early in the game. Sanctuary Guardian thing is a little special detail that doesn't happen anywhere else.

Booshka

Ahhh, I probably could have come through New Londo to the forest, up from the blacksmith to fight the gargoyles.

Thank you!

Ya, for example, if you are crazy, your first two boss fights after you land in Firelink Shrine can be Sif and the 4 Kings. It's how a lot of Invaders start their NG+ playthroughs if they aren't already in the Darkwraith Covenant.

Top Bottom