• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

zsswimmer

Just got a Titanite Catchpole from a Prowling Demon, the weapon it uses. Never realized that was a drop but I assume its a rare one, got it in NG++.

Tarkus

Just got a Titanite Catchpole from a Prowling Demon, the weapon it uses. Never realized that was a drop but I assume its a rare one, got it in NG++.
The only one I've ever had was given to me by someone who was deleting their build. It's rare. Seems pretty decent though. Never messed around too much with it. It's always on the back burner.

I don't think they're that rare, I always manage to get one or two per run - but I am a loot whore though - I always have max item discovery and always wear both serpent rings except for bosses/situational (switching back to silver and mimic head as boss dies for that souls bonus!)

Now the ghost blade is rare and annoying to farm for too because it only drops from the two screaming ghosts in New Londo. Channeler's Trident is notorious for being rare, but I always tend to have good luck in Dukes and it usually takes no longer than 5 mins of farming to get one.

zsswimmer

I don't think they're that rare, I always manage to get one or two per run - but I am a loot whore though - I always have max item discovery and always wear both serpent rings except for bosses/situational (switching back to silver and mimic head as boss dies for that souls bonus!)

Now the ghost blade is rare and annoying to farm for too because it only drops from the two screaming ghosts in New Londo. Channeler's Trident is notorious for being rare, but I always tend to have good luck in Dukes and it usually takes no longer than 5 mins of farming to get one.

Guess it depends, I have 184 hours on the PC version and about 100 on the 360 and thats the first of I've heard of and gotten that weapon. Never have gotten a channeler's trident either, but I do have 2 or 3 jagged ghost blades (if thats what youre referring to)

Managed to get O&S down tonight, I summoned a sunbro to help though do I did wuss out but frankly my time is too limited these days to have a run of 20 go's at a boss!

Tarkus

Guess it depends, I have 184 hours on the PC version and about 100 on the 360 and thats the first of I've heard of and gotten that weapon. Never have gotten a channeler's trident either, but I do have 2 or 3 jagged ghost blades (if thats what youre referring to)
There's a plain Ghost Blade that must be rare, because I've never heard of it before Red's post. Looks like I have to do some farming so I can check it out.

Managed to get O&S down tonight, I summoned a sunbro to help though do I did wuss out but frankly my time is too limited these days to have a run of 20 go's at a boss!
I had 2 bros when I first beat them. I was tired of being rekt and wanted to move on.

Yeah the jagged one is common, but the plain Ghost Blade only drops from the screaming ghosts not the regular ones. I actually had one drop on a recent run when I was just down in New Londo early to kill Ingward, didn't even have any item discovery and I think ended up using it because it was a low level run and the stats are really low on it - probably only the third or fouth time I've ever had it drop and the first without farming it for sure.

“I like when you first enter Anor Londo, but unfortunately the impact and excitement felt when you first enter Anor Londo didn’t last through the whole gameplay experience, so this is more of a regret in the design.”

Yup, he seems to be on top of things

Tarkus

So someone just gave me 99 Souls of Sif. Can someone please PM me with directions for this version of the Stockpile Thomas trick?

So someone just gave me 99 Souls of Sif. Can someone please PM me with directions for this version of the Stockpile Thomas trick?
There are some save-edit things on PS3, "megamule" is the thing you want to search for. Where you load a savefile from a USB stick and it has everything max upgraded and 99 of everything - It will over-write your existing saves, so do it on a separate account if you don't want to lose them. Not sure what to do on other platforms, I imagine cheat-engine is the way to go on PC.

If you want something less extensive you can dupe consumables with a yes/no confirm command (boss souls, firekeeper souls, homeward bones): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yU61jT8sQk - I use this when doing a run these days and I want to get to 10 humanity straight away, or buy something without having to grind or do co-op for souls.

The video says it doesn't work with female characters which isn't true, you just need to do it with a longer animation like a two-handed R2 attack.

Tarkus

There are some save-edit things on PS3, "megamule" is the thing you want to search for. Where you load a savefile from a USB stick and it has everything max upgraded and 99 of everything - It will over-write your existing saves, so do it on a separate account if you don't want to lose them. Not sure what to do on other platforms, I imagine cheat-engine is the way to go on PC.

If you want something less extensive you can dupe consumables with a yes/no confirm command (boss souls, firekeeper souls, homeward bones): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yU61jT8sQk - I use this when doing a run these days and I want to get to 10 humanity straight away, or buy something without having to grind or do co-op for souls.

The video says it doesn't work with female characters which isn't true, you just need to do it with a longer animation like a two-handed R2 attack.
Good stuff. I can't believe I've never known about this. The one for DS2 is extremely devious because of Soul Memory. That actually explains how a few of my duels were unwinnable at low SM and how people were in full Havel's. No wonder I was getting one-shotted and doing hardly any damage.

Just finished the Painted World, I enjoyed it for the most part but that boss at the end caused me no end of trouble, she wasn't hard to kill when I finally uncovered her it was just the uncovering that caused me problems.

Just finished the Painted World, I enjoyed it for the most part but that boss at the end caused me no end of trouble, she wasn't hard to kill when I finally uncovered her it was just the uncovering that caused me problems.
There's often little tricks in DS for this type of thing that involve methods outside of straight up melee you might not otherwise be using - Firing an arrow or lobbing a knife at her to start the round will always let you see where she is (until the model of the knife stuck in her wears off, by which time you should've got her visible and either kill her or get a few hits in followed by another knife). If it's a poison knife/arrow, all the better - a few of those and you will see the poison mist effect around her.

You can also bottleneck her by standing on the stairs to the way out and tossing a few pyro fireballs or firefombs (the firestorm spells probably even do it in the main arena if you have time to cast them). Consumable items can come in handy in a lot of fun ways.

There's often little tricks in DS for this type of thing that involve methods outside of straight up melee you might not otherwise be using - Firing an arrow or lobbing a knife at her to start the round will always let you see where she is (until the model of the knife stuck in her wears off, by which time you should've got her visible and either kill her or get a few hits in followed by another knife). If it's a poison knife/arrow, all the better - a few of those and you will see the poison mist effect around her.

You can also bottleneck her by standing on the stairs to the way out and tossing a few pyro fireballs or firefombs (the firestorm spells probably even do it in the main arena if you have time to cast them). Consumable items can come in handy in a lot of fun ways.

I did try the fire but to no avail, once I had got used to looking at her footsteps and getting a couple of swipes in she became visible, I had not thought about using an arrow/knife that's a great idea!

It was a clever fight though and overall a great area, there's a ton of treasure there and I loved the npc invader.

Hikami

So I did end up buying the second game.. but kept playing this one instead. Found out that I had missed a bunch of optional bosses.

I took them on in NG+ instead of creating a new character though. Damn that was challenging-- but really fun. Got the other ending and now I'm finally ready to move on to DS2 I think (after a break so I don't get burn out).

Been about a month since I last posted here^

Beat the second game, coming back this one while I wait for my copy of Bloodborne to arrive later in the week. Does the PC version (of DaS1) have any good mods?

What's a good tutorial video for this game?

I watched this one I think when I started out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcb6mJXoGwM
Not a full "tutorial", just some hints and tips.

Archon473

What's a good tutorial video for this game?

Read this character build guide. This guide does a good job setting the concept of stats straight. Decide how you would like to play the game and find a build that matches your gaming style. I play action games, not RPGs, so I need high Strength to wield the most damaging weapons with high Poise to not get my attacks interrupted. Understanding combat, knowing when to attack, evade, and block, is easy. Your options are dictated by your stats and your equipment, and that to me is more difficult to understand. Use that guide as broad instruction on creating a character you'd like to play and then don't worry much more about it.

Just got the 4 kings down, I was struggling with my +14 halberd to do any damage which I think was down to the thrust attacks so I switched to my +4 gravelord sword with Havels on and I face tanked them till the end, I went from getting swarmed by 4 of them with the halberd to easily taking one out at a time.

Booshka

What stat increases the amount of fireballs I can throw and how much damage they do?

To get more fireballs you need to buy or find another scroll of the magic and also have another Attunement slot to assign it. So if you had 4, you can attune another scroll of it, and it will stack to 8. Usually you can only get one scroll per playthrough, especially of the good spells, so you need to play multiple playthroughs for more casts. You can also wear the Dusk Crown Ring and get double the casts, at the cost of halving your HP.

Damage is primarily determined by the upgrade level of your Pyro Glove, so you aren't increasing a stat for damage, just the Glove. The Pyro Glove goes to +15, and then is ascended to +5 with another Pyromancer, that Pyromancer also sells better Pyro spells.

There is also gear to increase your damage, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring and the Crown of Dusk headgear. Other rings and spells can buff your damage as well, Red Tearstone Ring and Power Within pyro spell.

You can decrease the time it takes you cast spells by leveling your Dexterity to 45. I wouldn't worry about that unless you are already leveling Dexterity toward 40 for damage scaling with +15 Dex weapons.

As for Attunement, I suggest only going to 16, that will give you 4 slots for not too much stat investment, they start getting more and more costly in levels after that.

My brother and I have decided to start up Dark Souls again after our success in Bloodborne. I am currently at the tail end of Blighttown, whilst he is just about to start it, we will meet up and finish the area together and then coop the rest of the game.

Its been a while so I am rusty I am just wondering for my brother, is the Scimitar a good dex weapon? He has upgraded it to level 5, I think he will end up with the Falchion that you pick up in Blighttown though.

Also tips for the smoothest coop experience in Dark Souls?

zsswimmer

My brother and I have decided to start up Dark Souls again after our success in Bloodborne. I am currently at the tail end of Blighttown, whilst he is just about to start it, we will meet up and finish the area together and then coop the rest of the game.

Its been a while so I am rusty I am just wondering for my brother, is the Scimitar a good dex weapon? He has upgraded it to level 5, I think he will end up with the Falchion that you pick up in Blighttown though.

The undead male merchant in the Undead Parish drops an uchigatana if you kill him, just make sure you buy what you need to before doing so. It does more damage than the scimitar and has a bleeding effect too after a certain amount of hits, so its a good dex weapon. The only downside is that it wears out quickly and the scimitar has twice the durability than the uchi.

Make sure you look up a co-op guide online, it can be tricky.

The undead male merchant in the Undead Parish drops an uchigatana if you kill him, just make sure you buy what you need to before doing so. It does more damage than the scimitar and has a bleeding effect too after a certain amount of hits, so its a good dex weapon. The only downside is that it wears out quickly and the scimitar has twice the durability than the uchi.

I don't think he would like the lost durability, I think he would worry way too much about it. Is the Scimitar a viable weapon for Blighttown onwards? I think he was looking at maybe using the Falchion and then the Scimitar would be a backup weapon. It is currently at +5 so he is umming and aahing over upgrading it over that or just waiting for the Falchion.

Make sure you look up a co-op guide online, it can be tricky.

Will do, we figured it out before but I am not sure if stuff like DSCfix or whatever it is called has changed with the GFWL switch-over.

Thanks for the help guys.

Booshka

I don't think he would like the lost durability, I think he would worry way too much about it. Is the Scimitar a viable weapon for Blighttown onwards? I think he was looking at maybe using the Falchion and then the Scimitar would be a backup weapon. It is currently at +5 so he is umming and aahing over upgrading it over that or just waiting for the Falchion.

Will do, we figured it out before but I am not sure if stuff like DSCfix or whatever it is called has changed with the GFWL switch-over.

Thanks for the help guys.

Falchion is a great weapon, especially for 2 handed R1's. There is also an Iaito Katana at the top of Blighttown, you have to jump to get to it, but it's worth it. Don't waste any Large Shards on the Scimitar, it is exactly the same as a Falchion, just much weaker, so he can use it at +5, then upgrade the Falchion when he gets back to Undead Parish.

Great Scythe and Balder Side Sword are also good suggestions, but the latter suggestion requires a potentially brutal farm to acquire.

Falchion is a great weapon, especially for 2 handed R1's. There is also an Iaito Katana at the top of Blighttown, you have to jump to get to it, but it's worth it. Don't waste any Large Shards on the Scimitar, it is exactly the same as a Falchion, just much weaker, so he can use it at +5, then upgrade the Falchion when he gets back to Undead Parish.

Great Scythe and Balder Side Sword are also good suggestions, but the latter suggestion requires a potentially brutal farm to acquire.

This katana sounds interesting, I have to look into it but if he can't get it for whatever reason it looks like the Falchion is a good choice, cheers.

Just for my own info, I'm using the Zweihander+7 with Drake sword as back up, good weapons to carry me through the game?

Any weapon can carry you through the game. It's more about finding a weapon with a moveset you like and then not only upgrading it, but also leveling up the stats that it scales with to increase it's damage output bonus.

Zweihander scales C with STR and D with DEX, so leveling up both of those will increase the damage bonus you get from it (the + number on the weapon info/stats menu screen).

Any weapon can carry you through the game. It's more about finding a weapon with a moveset you like and then not only upgrading it, but also leveling up the stats that it scales with to increase it's damage output bonus.

Zweihander scales C with STR and D with DEX, so leveling up both of those will increase the damage bonus you get from it (the + number on the weapon info/stats menu screen).

I'm happy with the Zweihander, I am just using the Drake sword in Blighttown because of the poison so it gives me that bitnof extra manoeuvrability.

Are there other areas in the game with such a focus on something like poison? My heart can't take it.

I'm happy with the Zweihander, I am just using the Drake sword in Blighttown because of the poison so it gives me that bitnof extra manoeuvrability.

Are there other areas in the game with such a focus on something like poison? My heart can't take it.

Not really. Make sure you check the Poison Resist stats on all your armor sets, that helps a ton. Also, grabbing a bow and levelling the minimum DEX to use it can be really handy in parts of the game, such as swatting down those nasty mosquitos in Blight Town.

Not really. Make sure you check the Poison Resist stats on all your armor sets, that helps a ton. Also, grabbing a bow and levelling the minimum DEX to use it can be really handy in parts of the game, such as swatting down those nasty mosquitos in Blight Town.

Luckily, I am pretty much at the boss now, its my brother that has to go through the whole area. I think the black leather set is good with the spider shield in regards to poison resist?

Luckily, I am pretty much at the boss now, its my brother that has to go through the whole area. I think the black leather set is good with the spider shield in regards to poison resist?

I think the tattered cloth set you find down there in the bog is the best. And Spider shield will block all poison from attacks but does nothing against environmental poision

Tarkus

The rusted iron ring pretty much trivializes the swamp part. Stock up on mosses from the female undead merchant and have your spider shield and Blighttown becomes one of the easiest areas in the game.

Well after the third (fourth?) time playing this game I think I am finally getting the hang of it. I managed to blow through the first three bosses and the Giant Butterfly seems will be an easy kill. I watched some tutorials on the game and its a lot easier now.

Though I wonder if it is so much easier due to me being a Pyromancer and thus I have a strong range attack.

To get more fireballs you need to buy or find another scroll of the magic and also have another Attunement slot to assign it. So if you had 4, you can attune another scroll of it, and it will stack to 8. Usually you can only get one scroll per playthrough, especially of the good spells, so you need to play multiple playthroughs for more casts. You can also wear the Dusk Crown Ring and get double the casts, at the cost of halving your HP.

Damage is primarily determined by the upgrade level of your Pyro Glove, so you aren't increasing a stat for damage, just the Glove. The Pyro Glove goes to +15, and then is ascended to +5 with another Pyromancer, that Pyromancer also sells better Pyro spells.

There is also gear to increase your damage, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring and the Crown of Dusk headgear. Other rings and spells can buff your damage as well, Red Tearstone Ring and Power Within pyro spell.

You can decrease the time it takes you cast spells by leveling your Dexterity to 45. I wouldn't worry about that unless you are already leveling Dexterity toward 40 for damage scaling with +15 Dex weapons.

As for Attunement, I suggest only going to 16, that will give you 4 slots for not too much stat investment, they start getting more and more costly in levels after that.

Thanks.

Tarkus

Well after the third (fourth?) time playing this game I think I am finally getting the hang of it. I managed to blow through the first three bosses and the Giant Butterfly seems will be an easy kill. I watched some tutorials on the game and its a lot easier now.

Though I wonder if it is so much easier due to me being a Pyromancer and thus I have a strong range attack.

Thanks.
Probably. Pyromancy is quite powerful. A fully ascended flame with Great Combustion, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, and Dusk Crown will have you hitting mid 500s.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This katana sounds interesting, I have to look into it but if he can't get it for whatever reason it looks like the Falchion is a good choice, cheers.

Just for my own info, I'm using the Zweihander+7 with Drake sword as back up, good weapons to carry me through the game?
Drake sword, no. Ditch that shit right away.

Why are you using a zweihander if you want a dex build? Zwei is more for strength builds. The zwei is a good weapon though, yes.

Drake sword, no. Ditch that shit right away.

Why are you using a zweihander if you want a dex build? Zwei is more for strength builds. The zwei is a good weapon though, yes.

I'm not I am a strength build, my brother is dex. I am just using the Drake sword in Blighttown because I find the Zweihander too slow for the area.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh. well if you want a faster strength weapon, maybe the mace? I forgot if it's any good in DS1 (it's god-tier in DS2 haha). If not I'd go with the claymore or butcher knife at least, or even better, if you reach Sen's Fortress you can farm the man-serpent greatsword which is ridiculously good with B scaling for strength and no dex requirements, similar moveset to the claymore (it's not an awful grind either, it drops fairly easily).

Does, or even has the dsfix toggle 30fps option worked for anyone? DkS2 made me want to replay 1 again, but I've never been able to get that to work. A few of the jumps would be made much easier.

So I beat the Gaping Dragon. Talk about a disappointing battle. I mean he looks so threatening but he is so easy to spam and avoid that he isn't even a challenge.

I've never had an issue with it. It's bound to right control by default, I believe.

The config file shows the back(space) button, but I tried them all, and nothing worked. Ah well, there's only like 2 jumps I can think of that are harder at 60fps.

So I beat the Gaping Dragon. Talk about a disappointing battle. I mean he looks so threatening but he is so easy to spam and avoid that he isn't even a challenge.

I had a hard time with him my first playthrough. I thought heavy armor was the way to go, so I was fat rolling all over the place and kept getting stepped on.

Top Bottom