• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, Gaping Dragon was one of the ones where when I went into the game way late to the party, I had seen GIFs of that guy and was all "wow, he's fucking terrifying", but then learned he's basically charging Rhino trope 101, one of the easiest bosses in the game.

The config file shows the back(space) button, but I tried them all, and nothing worked. Ah well, there's only like 2 jumps I can think of that are harder at 60fps.

It's strange that it's not working for you. Have you tried changing the binding and are you sure the toggle doesn't have a hash in front of it?

It's strange that it's not working for you. Have you tried changing the binding and are you sure the toggle doesn't have a hash in front of it?

I'll mess around more later and try changing the key, but yeah, I went in and removed # and saved the file. All the graphics changes work perfectly, but not shortcut keys.

*edit* Got it to work now, thanks for the tip. I just changed the key to one on the number pad and it works, but would not on the default back key for whatever reason.

Did you... cut her tail off :) :) ?

Or did you leave it for NG+ hahahaha.

Haha, no chance, I just killed her and got the hell out of there! I've just killed Seath and NG+ is not something I normally bother with but I've got a feeling I will give it a go on this,failing that I might start again with a different build.

Haha, no chance, I just killed her and got the hell out of there! I've just killed Seath and NG+ is not something I normally bother with but I've got a feeling I will give it a go on this,failing that I might start again with a different build.

NG took me 60 hours, NG+ 10 hours. It's really easy (basically a speedrun) except one super hard boss fight which is trivial in NG.

If you feel like you can do NG+ in 3 sessions, really.

Levyne

Banned
NG took me 60 hours, NG+ 10 hours. It's really easy (basically a speedrun) except one super hard boss fight which is trivial in NG.

If you feel like you can do NG+ in 3 sessions, really.

(Mid game boss, me guessing at the answer)
Four Kings?

That guy fucked me up real good on NG+, when I got him first or second go on NG. All the other bosses seemed easier.

I didn't do the DLC areas in NG+ though so I don't want to think about the probable horror that is NG+ (DLC Boss)
Manus

Red Hood

Banned
Do people even still play this online? I made a new character with the sole purpose of co-op and helping beginners in need, but I don't seem to get summoned. Is it just PC that's dead or should I accept the fact I'm just late to the party? Or maybe they don't know these mechanics yet? I loved the main story/single player/offline stuff, finished NG++, but I never dabbled into the online stuff, including (NPC) summoning or getting summoned.

Anyway, so I made a new character just to taste it, and I've placed my sign on numerous locations to help with the Taurus Demon (~ level 15), Bell Gargoyles (~ level 20) and Capra Demon (~ level 25), but I keep on waiting and waiting. According to some online guides I should be within the acceptable level range. I don't want to be too overleveled. I've also tried changing my download region through Steam, apparently that works sometimes, but I tried England, France, Netherlands, Finland, and both LA and New York.

Tarkus

Do people even still play this online? I made a new character with the sole purpose of co-op and helping beginners in need, but I don't seem to get summoned. Is it just PC that's dead or should I accept the fact I'm just late to the party? Or maybe they don't know these mechanics yet? I loved the main story/single player/offline stuff, finished NG++, but I never dabbled into the online stuff, including (NPC) summoning or getting summoned.

Anyway, so I made a new character just to taste it, and I've placed my sign on numerous locations to help with the Taurus Demon (~ level 15), Bell Gargoyles (~ level 20) and Capra Demon (~ level 25), but I keep on waiting and waiting. According to some online guides I should be within the acceptable level range. I don't want to be too overleveled. I've also tried changing my download region through Steam, apparently that works sometimes, but I tried England, France, Netherlands, Finland, and both LA and New York.
I haven't been summoned for co-op outside Oolacile Township and the Chasm in a few months on PS3. I invade like crazy with SL100 at Anor Londo, Painted World, DLC areas, and the fight club area in Undead Burg.

Try the bonfire in the Depths. That one used to be really hot.

It's only a few weeks back I was getting summoned like the good old days on PS3. If you're SL is area-appropriate, I think you should still get summoned.

I'm not sure how many people are new players in need, more than likely many are die hards who just like to play online.

Man Blighttown really is a difficulty bump. It isn't so much that it is hard,but that everything is so claustrophobic that it is really easy to die. Should I try leveling up my weapon and pyro abilities, or should I push through it? Also is the weapon upgrading item reusable or is it a one use only thing?

Man Blighttown really is a difficulty bump. It isn't so much that it is hard,but that everything is so claustrophobic that it is really easy to die. Should I try leveling up my weapon and pyro abilities, or should I push through it? Also is the weapon upgrading item reusable or is it a one use only thing?
Do you mean the embers? You give them to the appropriate Blacksmith and then they're usable for the rest of that playthrough. The materials (shards, chunks etc) are one time use, but you can downgrade weapons if you need to.

I assume you have the large ember found in the Depths. If you haven't used it yet I would actually go back and do so, upgrade your weapon as far as you can and then come back to Blighttown (I would also farm/buy some purple moss). The Blacksmith has to ascend the weapon between each stage - for example only Andre can take your +5 weapon to +6, but once he's done that you can upgrade it at the bonfire further (so +7 onwards), and Blighttown is a very nice farming spot for upgrade materials.

Anybody having issues with this game and windows 10?
I can't get past the check for save game screen. And I have checked verify contents in steam too. (I have dsfix installed, havent tried without it yet)

NEO0MJ

Yeah, Gaping Dragon was one of the ones where when I went into the game way late to the party, I had seen GIFs of that guy and was all "wow, he's fucking terrifying", but then learned he's basically charging Rhino trope 101, one of the easiest bosses in the game.

It's an awesome design but yeah, disappointing to fight.

Anybody having issues with this game and windows 10?
I can't get past the check for save game screen. And I have checked verify contents in steam too. (I have dsfix installed, havent tried without it yet)

Just checked and it works for me. Intel CPU AMD GPU here.

NEO0MJ

So as I said, I am at Blighttown. Should I still be using a leveled up Gargoyle Axe or should I be using something different by now?

It's a good weapon at your point in the game so just carry on with it. The resistance boost it offers will be a slight help in your current area as well. What are your other options?

It's a good weapon at your point in the game so just carry on with it. The resistance boost it offers will be a slight help in your current area as well. What are your other options?
That crystal sword I got from the merchant in Depths right outside of Blighttown. It is powerful, but has low durability and seems to have short range.

Also is Fireball and Fire Orb a good combo for a Pyro? Do I need combustion?

NEO0MJ

Crystal weapons are a sham early game. Terrible durability and I don't think you can even fix them.

Not sure about which pyros you should equip. I never dabbled with it much.

If it's the environment that is killing you, having a great weapon only helps marginally. Go slowly, shield raised when you are going through areas for the first time. This game will punish you for being careless.

So yeah I cleared Blighttown. The second bonfire was pretty far away, but whatever. Quelaag was ridiculously easy. She can't hit you if you are right up against her. Anyway I was surprised that there wasn't a shortcut back to the surface after I beat her (maybe I missed something).

So now I'm up to Sen's Fortress. I hear this is where that super hard boss battle is. Anyway how far am I into the game? 25%, 33%, 50%, 75%? Finally, what does that serpent do if I give him items or titanate? I don't want to risk losing my items to something stupid.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So yeah I cleared Blighttown. The second bonfire was pretty far away, but whatever. Quelaag was ridiculously easy. She can't hit you if you are right up against her. Anyway I was surprised that there wasn't a shortcut back to the surface after I beat her (maybe I missed something).
There is... well, it's not after her, but shortly before.

So now I'm up to Sen's Fortress. I hear this is where that super hard boss battle is.
No, not quite there yet. Sen's is a tough area but the boss is piss-easy.
Anyway how far am I into the game? 25%, 33%, 50%, 75%? Finally, what does that serpent do if I give him items or titanate? I don't want to risk losing my items to something stupid.
About 40%, I'd say. Maybe less (30-35%) if you have the DLC.

Feeding Fraampt normal items just give you souls. The items get destroyed. So you can feed weapon duplicates and stuff you really won't miss.
Feeding him titanite chunks etc. will destroy them and split the chunk into smaller pieces. So feeding him a coloured (blue, red, or white) titanite chunk will give you a few (not sure how many) green titanite shards and feeding him a normal titanite chunk will give you a bnuch of large shards, for example.

There is... well, it's not after her, but shortly before.
Where? I feel that I looked everywhere.

No, not quite there yet. Sen's is a tough area but the boss is piss-easy.
You know for a game people constantly hold up as having epic tough as nails boss battles, a lot of them are really easy. Most of Skyward Sword's boss battles are more difficult than the ones in this game.

Feeding Fraampt normal items just give you souls. The items get destroyed. So you can feed weapon duplicates and stuff you really won't miss.
Feeding him titanite chunks etc. will destroy them and split the chunk into smaller pieces. So feeding him a coloured (blue, red, or white) titanite chunk will give you a few (not sure how many) green titanite shards and feeding him a normal titanite chunk will give you a bnuch of large shards, for example.

So it downgrades it to two or more titanite pieces?

Go for each ladder. Keep exploring.
I got to what looked to be the end. It was in that sewer with a bunch of poison archers. I climbed the ladder down to get to the base of the sewer where the firedogs were. I killed the dogs and got a fire kindled spirit or whatever it is called. I went to the exit but there was only a waterwheel there with no thing to stand on. I decided to jump to see if I could land on the ridges of the wheel but fell to my death. I the said fuck it as I assumed I explored everything.

Booshka

I got to what looked to be the end. It was in that sewer with a bunch of poison archers. I climbed the ladder down to get to the base of the sewer where the firedogs were. I killed the dogs and got a fire kindled spirit or whatever it is called. I went to the exit but there was only a waterwheel there with no thing to stand on. I decided to jump to see if I could land on the ridges of the wheel but fell to my death. I the said fuck it as I assumed I explored everything.

Follow the ladders that are lit with torches, keep looking for torches, keep going up. There is a tree branch that also extends across that sewer area, and to another area with some loot. The main shortcut out is above all those areas though. If you are already back up and on to Sen's Fortress via Undead Parish, then there is another way to get to the shortcut you missed. Back at Firelink Shrine, near the Aqueduct that takes you to Undead Burg, there should be an NPC you have already met sitting down under the Aqueduct. He has a Key for you to buy.

Once you get it, go explore New Londo Ruins.

You have to get even higher than the "sewer with a bunch of poison archers". You were about 70% up there - only 3 ladders up left I think.

A quick progression question, I've killed Seath and am ready to move on, would it be advisable to do the DLC (Oolacile?), Lost Izalith or the Tomb of the Giants next?

^ I don't think it really matters. Maybe if you're a mage you might want to do Ooiacile next. But I would probably just do the main game first otherwise.

Also the bonfire in Firelink Shrine no longer works. Is there a way I can get it working now or no?
Yes, but not for a while. It's part of a questline that isn't tied up until the next couple of areas. Nothing to worry about you won't really be using Firelink for a while any way.

^ I don't think it really matters. Maybe if you're a mage you might want to do Ooiacile next. But I would probably just do the main game first otherwise.

Cheers for that, i'm not a mage, I might head into Lost Izalith then ad get it out of the way as i've heard it can be a bit of a pain.

Booshka

Cheers for that, i'm not a mage, I might head into Lost Izalith then ad get it out of the way as i've heard it can be a bit of a pain.

I would suggest having a good Physical Defense Weapon before you head to the DLC though, +14/15 Normal Weapon, or a +4/5 Twinkling/Demon Titanite Weapon with Physical damage. The DLC bosses are very resilient to Elemental damage, and tankier than the main game bosses.

I would suggest having a good Physical Defense Weapon before you head to the DLC though, +14/15 Normal Weapon, or a +4/5 Twinkling/Demon Titanite Weapon with Physical damage. The DLC bosses are very resilient to Elemental damage, and tankier than the main game bosses.

I've currently got a +14 halberd, +14 scythe and for very occasional use a +4 gravelord sword for no other reason than it sounds cool!

Red Hood

Banned
I haven't been summoned for co-op outside Oolacile Township and the Chasm in a few months on PS3. I invade like crazy with SL100 at Anor Londo, Painted World, DLC areas, and the fight club area in Undead Burg.

Try the bonfire in the Depths. That one used to be really hot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been walking in the Depths for a while now with my summon sign in front of the bonfire, but no luck. I'm in the appropriate level range for Depths (31, whereas the range is supposedly 25~40). I'll give it another try when I reach O&S, or the bosses post-Lordvessel. If even that doesn't work, then I'm giving up hope and I'll just wait for DS3 to experience it for the first time.

I'm on PC by the way, may or may not explain the inactivity compared to PS360.

Well Lost Izalith can stay lost for me, I've hated every minute of it so far, I've only got the middle bit of the boss to kill now but that can wait for another day, maybe I'm not in the mood tonight but that is a shit boss fight.

The boss is fucking terrible, and the run back to it with the respawning titanite demon makes it 100x worse. Just to get one shotted three seconds after landing in that arena. The frustrating thing is that area could've been cool if they had put some more time and effort into it. There are some nice visual touches but just feels uninspired overall. Even all the enemies were just boring.

Agree with all of that and that noise when you're on the lava is horrendous as are those weird beast things, I've ignored the titanite demon I can't get their attacks down at all.

Top Bottom