• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So I am now able to beat Ornstein, I now have to deal with Super Smough.

What is the best way to deal with him? Should I "lightningfy" my Gargoyle Axe? Can I "unlightingfy" it if I want to later?

NEO0MJ

Super Smough is weak against fire, so imbue your weapon with that. When it comes to fighting him you'll have to carefully kite around him. When he does his rush attack I remember it leaving him pretty vulnerable so use that against him.

Tarkus

So I am now able to beat Ornstein, I now have to deal with Super Smough.

What is the best way to deal with him? Should I "lightningfy" my Gargoyle Axe? Can I "unlightingfy" it if I want to later?
He is weak to lightning. And yes, you can achieve unlightningfication.
Super Smough is weak against fire, so imbue your weapon with that. When it comes to fighting him you'll have to carefully kite around him. When he does his rush attack I remember it leaving him pretty vulnerable so use that against him.
Fire resistant, no?
Edit: I guess it makes sense to gain Ornstein's weakness to fire since he is absorbing his abilities. I always kill Smough first because I use a lot of thrusting weapons.

JudgeN

Anyone know if PS3 still has a PvP/PvE presence? I just did a play through on PC and it was dead for Coop and a zombie for PvP. Now I want to try a dex/faith build but I want to know what platform has more a presence.

Tarkus

Anyone know if PS3 still has a PvP/PvE presence? I just did a play through on PC and it was dead for Coop and a zombie for PvP. Now I want to try a dex/faith build but I want to know what platform has more a presence.
Very active in Oolacile Township, Painted World, and area below the bonfire at Undead Burg. SL60-100.

Edit: specifically talking about PvP

It did the last time I played, just a month or two back. Specifically talking about co-op, although I was invaded in the Parish by the usual numbskulls.

Booshka

Those knights taught me how to parry, which if mastered, trivializes most enemies and invaders in the game.

Yep, second swing parries are very effective against a ton of enemies in the game. I can first swing parry pretty much all the Silver Knights, but second swing parry after a block is very easy once you practice it.

Persona7

Banned
It is weird that I can summon or join peoples games almost instantly in this game but Bloodborne takes 30-50 minutes for one summon or sometimes absolutely nothing.

zsswimmer

It is weird that I can summon or join peoples games almost instantly in this game but Bloodborne takes 30-50 minutes for one summon or sometimes absolutely nothing.

I hate the summoning in Bloodborne, like you said its hit or miss. Sometimes nothing but then sometimes within 20 seconds. Even on the ps3 DkS I can get summoned in a few mins on most early bosses

mulac

Started playing this at the weekend on PC (picked up the $10 Prepare to Die Steam edition). Coming straight outta Bloodborne I like it sofar.

Just made it to Undead Burg and was doing well - bought a few items at the merchant...was exploring the rooms when all of a sudden some big dark red/black hazy KNIGHT comes at me from behind and destroys me in 3 shots (didnt even have time to run away) - WTF??

End Boss already?

Started playing this at the weekend on PC (picked up the $10 Prepare to Die Steam edition). Coming straight outta Bloodborne I like it sofar.

Just made it to Undead Burg and was doing well - bought a few items at the merchant...was exploring the rooms when all of a sudden some big dark red/black hazy KNIGHT comes at me from behind and destroys me in 3 shots (didnt even have time to run away) - WTF??

End Boss already?

It's a Black Knight. They don't respawn and drop a unique weapon if you're lucky.

Or if they were blood red it was an invader and you missed the invasion message. Though invasions are really rare on PC, so probably not.

mulac

It's a Black Knight. They don't respawn and drop a unique weapon if you're lucky.

Or if they were blood red it was an invader and you missed the invasion message. Though invasions are really rare on PC, so probably not.

Definately no message popped up so guess its a Black Knight. Crazy! This is a common thing/game mechanic...hesitatnt to google it incase its a major spoiler but just thought it was weird.

Not blood red - it was dark shadowy with a tinge of red and a big f**-off hammer with spikes :(

Definately no message popped up so guess its a Black Knight. Crazy! This is a common thing/game mechanic...hesitatnt to google it incase its a major spoiler but just thought it was weird.

Not blood red - it was dark shadowy with a tinge of red and a big f**-off hammer with spikes :(

Unless you stumbled onto Havel that was probably a twink. A low-level character with high-level gear that preys on newer players. We have all been there.

You can avoid them by not being human if you are inclined.

How do I get more slots for magic moves as Pyromancer?

Attument slots are shared for miracles, magic, and pyros. Raise that stat.

So I killed Orenstien and figured out that I could easily kill Smough as long as I stand in front of a pillar and throw fireballs at him. The thing is that...I ran out of fireballs. It sucked because I had him. That's when I found out that I could equip more than two magic spells.

I tried to get Great Combustion, but the Pyromaster guy no longer had it. I decided to go back to Blighttown and seek out the Master Pyromaster (and unlock that shortcut to Firelink Shrine). I found her and am now currently grinding so that I can buy Great Fire Orb and Great Combostion, as well as being able to try out Fire Storm and Fire Whip. I'm not sure how useful the latter two will be for the fight.

The firestorm spells are good in the right situation, they have a long time where you can't do anything else, so you have to use them wisely. Never had much of a use for Firewhip myself, but some people like it.

Are you boosting your pyromancy with gear? Griggs sells a ring that boosts the power of magic (inc. Pyromancy) and
Dusk's crown
has a similar effect, if you have found
her
. Power Within is also a fantastic pyromancy spell for boosting all damage output, you just need to keep an eye on your HP the same way you do when poisoned.

I am loving this dlc, I've only had chance to play for an hour tonight and I had a spare humanity so I decide to try Kalameet with a summon, I didn't expect us to get very far but we downed him after what was a bit of an epic fight 2nd time round, I know some people frown on summons but when you're short on time it really is good fun, he wasn't overpowered so we had to play it smart after the first wipe, jolly cooperation indeed.

There isn't really an easiest. They're pretty random and can give any setup a hard time or barely put up a fight (relative to when they're screwing you over, anyway). Though some weapons are easier than others. The best I've found have been Silver Knight Spear (easily outranges both of them) and Zweihander (each R2 staggers Ornstein and it only takes 4-5 hits). I've also beaten them just by mashing 2-handed Falchion R1 and didn't even take any damage, you never know what you're going to get.

Well after grinding for some time and purchasing: Great Fireball, Great Combustion, Fire Whip (was unnecessary), Firestorm (was unnecessary), and upgrading my Pyroflame from +8 to essentially +16 I was able to beat both Ornstein and Smough easily. The fight was easier than the Iron Golem fight or Queelag. They weren't really that tough, the developers essentially said to themselves "instead of putting this fight further in the game where the player is further leveled up, we'll just put them a boss fight or two earlier".

Also while I enjoyed traveling, it's cool that I can warp between bonfires now.

Booshka

Well after grinding for some time and purchasing: Great Fireball, Great Combustion, Fire Whip (was unnecessary), Firestorm (was unnecessary), and upgrading my Pyroflame from +8 to essentially +16 I was able to beat both Ornstein and Smough easily. The fight was easier than the Iron Golem fight or Queelag. They weren't really that tough, the developers essentially said to themselves "instead of putting this fight further in the game where the player is further leveled up, we'll just put them a boss fight or two earlier".

Also while I enjoyed traveling, it's cool that I can warp between bonfires now.

Yea, one of the main reasons that Ornstein & Smough are so difficult is because of where you are progression-wise in the game. You usually aren't very high level, your weapons aren't fully upgraded, and you are practically stuck in Anor Londo until you beat them. Most people don't even attempt backtracking through Sen's Fortress to level up gear or stats, then make the trek all the way back. But it is a viable option if you truly hit a wall against them.

Time for a stupid question. My friend just started this game. He chose to start as a pyromancer. He says he doesn't know how to cast spells. So I just wanted to check whether the starting pyromancer flame is missable. Do you start with it already in your inventory or do you have to pick it up like your starting weapon and shield? Where do you pick it up in that case? I never played a pyromancer myself, and don't have access to my ps3 so I can't make a character to find out on my own. Thanks!

Time for a stupid question. My friend just started this game. He chose to start as a pyromancer. He says he doesn't know how to cast spells. So I just wanted to check whether the starting pyromancer flame is missable. Do you start with it already in your inventory or do you have to pick it up like your starting weapon and shield? Where do you pick it up in that case? I never played a pyromancer myself, and don't have access to my ps3 so I can't make a character to find out on my own. Thanks!
You start with the spell equipped, but the pyromancy flame itself is an item pick up in the Asylum, items like this and the bow (for the hunter class) are after the first locked door (a top where the hollow sends the giant ball down the stairs) at the end on the right, before you turn left to go towards the fog door for the Asylum Demon fight.

It is missable if you're not paying attention I guess. If he's already at Firelink Shrine and didn't pick it up, he's going to have to go back to the Asylum by getting to the Parish to release the elevator back down to Firelink.

You start with the spell equipped, but the pyromancy flame itself is an item pick up in the Asylum, items like this and the bow (for the hunter class) are after the first locked door (a top where the hollow sends the giant ball down the stairs) at the end on the right, before you turn left to go towards the fog door for the Asylum Demon fight.

It is missable if you're not paying attention I guess. If he's already at Firelink Shrine and didn't pick it up, he's going to have to go back to the Asylum by getting to the Parish to release the elevator back down to Firelink.

Ok, thanks!

I think he hasn't gotten to that location yet (he told me he stopped playing for the day when he came to a locked door and I figured that meant that he didn't figure out to go through the wall that is wrecked by the giant ball to talk with Oscar) so he should be fine then.

Man. The bosses after Ornstein and Smough are a cakewalk so far. Seeth and Sif are some of the easiest bosses in the game. Especially the former as I just literally ran up to him and spammed pyro attacks until he died.

Man. The bosses after Ornstein and Smough are a cakewalk so far. Seeth and Sif are some of the easiest bosses in the game. Especially the former as I just literally ran up to him and spammed pyro attacks until he died.

There is one other semi-hard to hard boss but to many, myself included, DRAGON SLAYER ORNSTEIN and EXECUTIONER SMOUGH are the 'real' final bosses of the game.

2418715-smough_and_ornstein.jpg

:bow FROM SOFTWARE :bow2

There is one other semi-hard to hard boss but to many, myself included, DRAGON SLAYER ORNSTEIN and EXECUTIONER SMOUGH are the 'real' final bosses of the game.

2418715-smough_and_ornstein.jpg

As I've said before, what made them hard wasn't so much due to the player skill, but more so that they are way overleveled when the player encounters them. It's like From Software meant to have them be placed two dungeons ahead, but stuck them in Anor Londo for some reason. Once I leveled up my Pyroglove and got extra attunement slots they weren't that difficult.

NEO0MJ

These games become so much easier if you do a bit of grinding. Most recent example for me was in Bloodborne. First time I fought
Shadows of whatever
I was pretty underleveled and struggled as my attacks didn't do much damage while at the same time took a lot of damage and so struggled. When I fought them with another higher leveled character it became so easy.

Tarkus

The DLC bosses are pretty hard and they are arguably the best fights in the game.

I'm heading off into the Tomb of the Giants for a proper explore around tonight, I have to say though I don't know if it's just me but with the exception of The Duke's Archives i've not enjoyed the 2nd half of the game as much as the first, maybe it's down to what I like but it feels like the atmosphere has dropped off, maybe I've suffered a bit of burnout but it's not quite as engrossing for me.

I'm heading off into the Tomb of the Giants for a proper explore around tonight, I have to say though I don't know if it's just me but with the exception of The Duke's Archives i've not enjoyed the 2nd half of the game as much as the first, maybe it's down to what I like but it feels like the atmosphere has dropped off, maybe I've suffered a bit of burnout but it's not quite as engrossing for me.
This is a common criticism of the post Anor Londo game. I agree somewhat (again with the exception of Dukes) and I think it's largely down to how strong the first half of the game is.

Even though you can warp, the second half is a lot more linear - you're basically going after the 4 Lord Souls, all straight paths really. Where as the first half is full of twists and turns, and back and forths, and lots of wow moments, like descending in to Blighttown, then coming back out in Valley Of Drakes/New Londo, finding shortcuts and unlocking doors etc is all a lot more exciting. I do think DLC somewhat helps with the slump in the second half.

This is a common criticism of the post Anor Londo game. I agree somewhat (again with the exception of Dukes) and I think it's largely down to how strong the first half of the game is.

Even though you can warp, the second half is a lot more linear - you're basically going after the 4 Lord Souls, all straight paths really. Where as the first half is full of twists and turns, and back and forths, and lots of wow moments, like descending in to Blighttown, then coming back out in Valley Of Drakes/New Londo, finding shortcuts and unlocking doors etc is all a lot more exciting. I do think DLC somewhat helps with the slump in the second half.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there it's the exploration, I remember walking down into Darkroot Basin and seeing the tower and looking up thinking that must link back so i'll go and have a look next thing Havel is smacking me into oblivion! There are more moments like that in the first half that's for sure, I did really enjoy the DLC and that's helped break it up, I will obviously finish it but part of me wants to just start again and play as a different build just to go through the first half again.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there it's the exploration, I remember walking down into Darkroot Basin and seeing the tower and looking up thinking that must link back so i'll go and have a look next thing Havel is smacking me into oblivion! There are more moments like that in the first half that's for sure, I did really enjoy the DLC and that's helped break it up, I will obviously finish it but part of me wants to just start again and play as a different build just to go through the first half again.

NO no no DamagedInc please FINISH THE GAME FIRST. Please.

I kind of did not like the 2nd part of the game as well - due to warping it lost a lot of its mysticism? and challenge?

But for me it is hard to pinpoint what exactly is the 2nd half of the game as I went straight to the end of Tomb of Giants, to the yellow fog door, waaaaay before even visiting Anor Londo. The same with New Londo Ruins - you can kill the Red Sorcerer and kill the boss without ever visiting Anor Londo. For me that was still the "1st part" f the game aka AMAZING.

Duke's Archives are kind of weak... I did not like them at all. Crystal Caves were awesome. Everything that is past the yellow fog door in Demon's Ruins is GARBAGE so yeah, the real 2nd part of the game aka Lost Izalith and Duke's is objectively speaking worse than the 1st part.

So to recap from MY playthrough (before getting Lordvessel):

1st part:
Undead Burg, Undead Parish, Depths, Blighttown, Great Hollow, Ash Lake, Darkroot Woods, Sen's, New Londo Ruins, Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, Demon Ruins, Anor Londo --> all incredible areas

2nd part:
Duke's, Crystal Caves (exception), Lost Izalith, Klin --> much, much weaker than the 1st part

NO no no DamagedInc please FINISH THE GAME FIRST. Please.

I kind of did not like the 2nd part of the game as well - due to warping it lost a lot of its mysticism? and challenge?

But for me it is hard to pinpoint what exactly is the 2nd half of the game as I went straight to the end of Tomb of Giants, to the yellow fog door, waaaaay before even visiting Anor Londo. The same with New Londo Ruins - you can kill the Red Sorcerer and kill the boss without ever visiting Anor Londo. For me that was still the "1st part" f the game aka AMAZING.

Duke's Archives are kind of weak... I did not like them at all. Crystal Caves were awesome. Everything that is past the yellow fog door in Demon's Ruins is GARBAGE so yeah, the real 2nd part of the game aka Lost Izalith and Duke's is objectively speaking worse than the 1st part.

So to recap from MY playthrough (before getting Lordvessel):

1st part:
Undead Burg, Undead Parish, Depths, Blighttown, Great Hollow, Ash Lake, Darkroot Woods, Sen's, New Londo Ruins, Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, Demon Ruins, Anor Londo --> all incredible areas

2nd part:
Duke's, Crystal Caves (exception), Lost Izalith, Klin --> much, much weaker than the 1st part

Don't worry StoppedInTracks i'm definitely going to finish it before I start again!

It just shows what a good game it is though that we have so many differing experiences, you see as I said I loved Duke's but I didn't like the Crystal Caves part, I basically got through the Seath to get out of there, Izalith was terrible as has already been said and i'm not looking forward to the Tomb either but i'm nearly there now so i'll just get it out of the way.

I loved the Ash Lake for pure atmosphere and despite my complaining Blighttown really was a great area and the way it linked in down below was brilliant.

Ultimately I guess it's just nit-picking really especially as the opening is so strong which for me is the opposite of DS2, the start of that got on my nerves beyond belief and I nearly quit on several occasions but once I got into the swing of it I really enjoyed it, maybe some of that was down to getting my agility up though, that really was a bad idea!

Booshka

Painted World and the DLC make up for the weaker last 1/3 of the game. Not gonna say half, because I only think Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins are outright bad. Duke's is good, Crystal Caves is eh, and unique, and I actually like New Londo Ruins. I've come to appreciate those areas more from Invading, a lot of interesting places to ambush from, enemies are an actual threat, and the players I invade are usually somewhat better equipped and more fun to fight.

I usually just speedrun through Izalith and Tomb of the Giants, still enjoy going through the rest of the game, but those areas I almost always just sprint through as fast as possible.

Well that's Tomb of the Giants and Nito done,I'll be happy not to go back there, there were a few items I missed but I'm really not bothered.

Tarkus

Fuck the Tomb of the Giants. I hate it worse than Izalith.

NLR is a great area. Always loved it. Even when farming like madman for hours trying to get slabs.

Man I'm pissed. First off, earlier I upgraded my main weapon (the gargoyle axe) to "Crystal Gargoyle Axe". Since it is a crystal I can't repair it. I don't have any weapons that are a decent replacement. Second, I went to Queelag's layer to talk to her sister so I could join the Chaos covenant, but accidentally killed the guy who blocks the way. I hope he isn't important.

Man I'm pissed. First off, earlier I upgraded my main weapon (the gargoyle axe) to "Crystal Gargoyle Axe". Since it is a crystal I can't repair it. I don't have any weapons that are a decent replacement. Second, I went to Queelag's layer to talk to her sister so I could join the Chaos covenant, but accidentally killed the guy who blocks the way. I hope he isn't important.

He's a merchant from what I remember, bad news on your weapon though, I've stayed away from the whole crystal weapon thing, is there no way to convert it back at all, I know you would loose any upgrade materials you had sunk into it?

You can't get your materials back but I changed an enchanted Falchion back to a Falchion +5 then made it divine at Andre, for check out whichever blacksmith you used to turn it crystal.

If it was just a +10 weapon you haven't wasted any upgrade materials that aren't easy to buy/farm. If you have any green titanite shards you don't need, feed them to Frampt at Firelink Shrine, each one turns in to 5 regular titanite shards. And you can buy large shards from the Giant blacksmith (Anor Londo) or Crestfallen Merchant (Sen's Fortress) or farm them from the slugs in Blighttown (also drop 5x green shards which = 25 titanite shards per drop!).

Top Bottom