• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

They are amazing. You got real talent.

tumblr_nw4g6mPCTy1qed0geo1_540.jpg

Can't remember this part, though. There wasn't any enemy with huge-ass tongue attacking you?

Is that not where the Dragon goes across the bridge the first time you go to the undead burg?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah thats the Hellkite Dragon dropping by when you get to Undead Burg. Im planning on giving that one some color to make it easier to read :)

Tarkus

Very well done Raging Spaniard! This is my favorite:

tumblr_nvzk50RQVe1qed0geo1_540.jpg

I'd love to see Lautrec sitting at Firelink. It's an epic seating position.

I think what I like the most about your artwork Raging Spaniard is that it looks to me very much like the style of artwork you might see in the adventure books that are supposed to have been an influence on Miyazaki and the Souls series. I can imagine seeing them flicking through the pages of a choose your own adventure book from my childhood. :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think what I like the most about your artwork Raging Spaniard is that it looks to me very much like the style of artwork you might see in the adventure books that are supposed to have been an influence on Miyazaki and the Souls series. I can imagine seeing them flicking through the pages of a choose your own adventure book from my childhood. :)
Dude... dude! :)

Fhtagn

Wow that art is incredible!

So, I'm four hours into replaying Dark Souls for the first time in a year or so, about to head into Blighttown having dealt with the gargoyles, Capra, gaping dragon, and moonlight butterfly already, (mostly using an estoc so far), and I am shocked to find myself dying because of seemingly completely wrong roll directions happening. I find my character occasionally rolling towards enemies when I'm definitely intending to roll away from them. Or rolling side to side in situations where I'm trying to roll backwards. Are the rolling mechanics that different between 1 & 2 or what?

I am playing on a PS3 fwiw.

So, I'm four hours into replaying Dark Souls for the first time in a year or so, about to head into Blighttown having dealt with the gargoyles, Capra, gaping dragon, and moonlight butterfly already, (mostly using an estoc so far), and I am shocked to find myself dying because of seemingly completely wrong roll directions happening. I find my character occasionally rolling towards enemies when I'm definitely intending to roll away from them. Or rolling side to side in situations where I'm trying to roll backwards. Are the rolling mechanics that different between 1 & 2 or what?

Is your DualShock ok?

I've put 175 hours or so into Dark Souls 2 since June on the X1. Decided to play through DS1 again earlier today.

Got it for PC when it was on sell for 4.99. Previously I had played and beat it on ps3. Got DS Fix and using a X1 controller.

Holy crap I feel like the game controls like shit compared to 2. I'm rolling all over the place on accident. Keep rolling off ledges and in weird angles like you're describing. I barely rolled back when i played ps3 ds1, it was my first Souls game and i beat it with a shield. After 5 or 6 playthroughs of 2 i don't use shields anymore. Perhaps I'll have to go back to shields for DS1.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Liquorice, Morrigan, that is tremendous praise, thank you so much. It has been a really, really fun project so far.

Here is the set 3 pieces, chugging along :)

tumblr_nw6jzzrFbj1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nw7yyw5JxJ1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nw9xlvbtbt1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

Raging Spaniard

That last one, brilliant - It's a hollow getting immolated on the bridge whilst a pyromancer hides behind the wall?!

Thanks man, its definitely what you think it is. Obviously I would love to draw a full illustration of the Hellkite Drake on top of the church, but Im making these in a little over an hour, so I have to get a little artsy sometimes :)

I'm up to Anor Londo on a no shield run, and I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to restrict myself anymore. It really hasn't been any harder, but it just feels silly not using the mechanic when in tight spaces, or places where dodging could result in a falling death. I pretty much just two-hand my weapon on a normal run anyway for the increased damage and stagger, switching to the shield when needed, so it doesn't feel all that different. I imagine the DLC bosses would be much harder without a shield, so there is that. I usually pull out the eagle or crest shield on them.

I should just do a low level run, but growing up on RPGs, I swear leveling up is half the fun.

Grexeno

Hoping this will be the playthrough where I finally beat the whole thing.

I spent an hour suiciding for the Great Scythe, but then I got the Black Knight Sword from the Undead Burg Black Knight, so I'm going to use that instead. Guess I'm bumping Strength a bunch lol

Fhtagn

Is your DualShock ok?

I've sunk a dozen hours or so into Dark Souls 2 on the same PS3 with the same controller this month, I'm trying to finish up the platinums on all the SoulsBorne games before Dark 3 hits, so i speed ran NG+ and am into NG++ now trying to get to Drangelic Castle to buy the last remaining miracles and pyro, and I've never had a rolling problem in 2. Plenty of "why the fuck did my great sword go the wrong way, who thought this was a good idea" but no rolling problems.

I initially played Dark Souls on 360 and occasionally had rolling issues, but when I beat the DLC on PS3, I remember having to rely on a shield for Artorias because the roll response seemed laggier than during any other fight in the game. The wrong-direction rolls I've encountered in this new game all happened at critical moments where a lot was going on, I wonder if there's a problem with the PS3 version or if it's just dumb luck.

I'll see if I can figure out what causes it and if there is a more reliable way to roll but it's funny go back to Dark 1 after complaining about what Dark 2 gets wrong mechanically and discover that it's somewhat a two way street, at least on PS3.

4 Kings fight was trippingly creepy awesome.

Ornstein & Smough was EASY
with a co-op partner.

Currently trying to farm a red titanite slab, fuck you FROM ;(

Liquorice, Morrigan, that is tremendous praise, thank you so much. It has been a really, really fun project so far.

Here is the set 3 pieces, chugging along :)

tumblr_nw6jzzrFbj1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nw7yyw5JxJ1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nw9xlvbtbt1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

I gonna miss that feeling of being overwhelmed by the world in Dark Souls 3, so far I feel your undead will be so powerful since the OP secuence

Raging Spaniard

Clean scans of the last 3 days, I need to start making simpler layouts, these are getting intense!

tumblr_nwgbbg9d8r1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwgbzdmEy31qed0geo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nwgcypsUYu1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

I beat Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith for the first time last night. I'm currently struggling to think of any levels in games that are worse than those two areas.
It's like the polar opposite of what makes the game so good.

I'm in the library area just past Anor Londo now, and I've done everything else that I can do currently, so I'm guessing in nearing the end now.

I beat Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith for the first time last night. I'm currently struggling to think of any levels in games that are worse than those two areas.
It's like the polar opposite of what makes the game so good.

I'm in the library area just past Anor Londo now, and I've done everything else that I can do currently, so I'm guessing in nearing the end now.
Catacombs if you haven't done them
Tomb of Giants
DLC areas available after placing the Lord Vessel
Great Hollow/Ash Lake

I love the look of hopelessness on this guys face!

Catacombs if you haven't done them
Tomb of Giants
DLC areas available after placing the Lord Vessel
Great Hollow/Ash Lake

Yeah, I've done all of those. The areas after Anor Londo have been so dull/terrible. This library place seems interesting visually at least.

If you go through the whole game, make a portfolio and post it on Reddit and you might hit the front page! This is incredible.

I played some Dark Souls and pulled out some of my old characters to try some PvP. Amazingly, PvP is not dead at all. I did some anti-ganking in the forest and some divine invasions.

Funny enough, I asked about multiplayer victories... and all my victories were like 4 and 6... when I know I've done like 1000 successful pvp battles and co-op boss runs. So, I wonder... how does it calculate that number? what does it even mean?

(It's the number that shows up when you use the black separation crystal)

Also, people complain a lot about Lost Izalith being rushed. What do they mean? The boss is lame, sure, but otherwise I think it's one of the most unique locales in the game. (New Londo is my favorite spot, I think!)

Booshka

If you go through the whole game, make a portfolio and post it on Reddit and you might hit the front page! This is incredible.

I played some Dark Souls and pulled out some of my old characters to try some PvP. Amazingly, PvP is not dead at all. I did some anti-ganking in the forest and some divine invasions.

Funny enough, I asked about multiplayer victories... and all my victories were like 4 and 6... when I know I've done like 1000 successful pvp battles and co-op boss runs. So, I wonder... how does it calculate that number? what does it even mean?

(It's the number that shows up when you use the black separation crystal)

Also, people complain a lot about Lost Izalith being rushed. What do they mean? The boss is lame, sure, but otherwise I think it's one of the most unique locales in the game. (New Londo is my favorite spot, I think!)

Multiplayer Victories is how many times you have successfully killed a boss as a co-op phantom. Every character you have has their own number, it's not an aggregate across your account. The only way to sorta keep track of PvP victories is indictments and the items you get from winning Invasions, no real way to keep track.

Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins are disappointing areas, and poorly designed when compared to the rest of the game. They are unique and have some interesting parts, but the enemy placement and design is really poor. If Lost Izalith didn't have one of the worst bosses in the entire franchise, then it would have been a little more forgivable, Bed of Chaos does that area no favors.

A lot of the criticism also came pre patch, when the enemy aggro across the board was tuned up. So the Dragon Butts copy and pasted all over the level were far more aggressive and spammy. Fighting giant enemies with a fucked camera being stomped into the ground while you take constant lava damage was infuriating to practically everyone on their first playthrough. Then after all that you face Bed of Bullshit, trial and error puzzle boss. A far cry from what the rest of the game has to offer combat wise.

I see.

I think the game kinda lost a bit of its mojo after Anor Londo, sure. Looking at how Bloodborne really took what worked with DrkS1 (connected world, smart shortcuts, more linear and tight narrative experience), I have HUGE hopes for DS3.

Fuck the red titanite farming, killed at least 2 hundred of those spongey assholes. 99 red chunks ? Yup, a few white chunks ? Yup, not a single fecking red slab. It will be quicker doing a new playthrough.

Finally took on Gwyn, too easy, bro Solaire bringing the pain.

And that's it for the ending ?!?

Fuck the red titanite farming, killed at least 2 hundred of those spongey assholes. 99 red chunks ? Yup, a few white chunks ? Yup, not a single fecking red slab. It will be quicker doing a new playthrough.

Finally took on Gwyn, too easy, bro Solaire bringing the pain.

And that's it for the ending ?!?

Yes and no. There are two endings, but neither are really long or expository.

Yes and no. There are two endings, but neither are really long or expository.

Kinda sucky after a long slog of awesomeness :/

NG+ is making me laugh, suddenly getting invaded a lot, and kicking all there arses, keep coming fools ;)

Anyone know what this is about ? I saw it in NG but thought it was a bug or something -

AoQKPXX.jpg

Also, what's with the room at the end of the church (beneath the bell) with 1 jail cell type door on it ? I saw a message inside it once but couldn't get in to read it. Anything special ?

Also, what's with the room at the end of the church (beneath the bell) with 1 jail cell type door on it ? I saw a message inside it once but couldn't get in to read it. Anything special ?
It sounds like you mean Lautrec's cell (the dude in the gold armour who sits by the Firekeeper at Firelink Shrine). The mystery key you pick up under where the metal boar is is for this door (or use the master key which is a starting gift or can be purchased from Domnhall after he moves from the Depths to under the aquaduct at Firelink).

I think if you don't let him out after a certain event (probably ringing both bells) he escapes any way and his questline continues (not 100% sure).

Anyone know what this is about ? I saw it in NG but thought it was a bug or something -
http://i.imgur.com/AoQKPXX.jpg
It's a resonance ring. You only see them online and it makes any miracle you use stronger when used nearby. There's a few other rarer online-only things like Vagrants, which are a rare enemy type that look like a little crab.

strafer

Kinda sucky after a long slog of awesomeness :/

NG+ is making me laugh, suddenly getting invaded a lot, and kicking all there arses, keep coming fools ;)

AoQKPXX.jpg

What level were you when you went NG+?

It sounds like you mean Lautrec's cell (the dude in the gold armour who sits by the Firekeeper at Firelink Shrine). The mystery key you pick up under where the metal boar is is for this door (or use the master key which is a starting gift or can be purchased from Domnhall after he moves from the Depths to under the aquaduct at Firelink).

I think if you don't let him out after a certain event (probably ringing both bells) he escapes any way and his questline continues (not 100% sure).

It's a resonance ring. You only see them online and it makes any miracle you use stronger when used nearby. There's a few other rarer online-only things like Vagrants, which are a rare enemy type that look like a little crab.

Ah just read up on it, its where he starts, but I've always done things that force him to move on anyway. Thought it was a bit odd.

Resonance ring ? Learn something new every day, only seen that 1, and another with the Iron Golem thing (But that triggers being moved to Anor).

What level were you when you went NG+?

Level 100.

Get past Anor Londo archers first time.
Run into Bonfire room, cant use Bonfire, WTF ?
Invaded.
Kill invader.
Go back to use Bonfire, still cant use it.
Invaded again by some blue bastard who takes no damage despite 2 clear pierce hits.
Uses magic, kills me in one.
Back to previous bonfire.
??????
RAGE.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Invaded.
Kill invader.
Invaded again by some blue bastard who takes no damage despite 2 clear pierce hits.
??????
RAGE.
Ah man, that sucks. :(

See, another thing DS2 did better; you can't rest at bonfire during online play, but at least you can light them and they still work as checkpoints!

Invaded.
Kill invader.
??????
RAGE.

I usually go hollow for that part. Even on NG+ whatever I am on. Certain areas you just don't want to be invaded. Ever.

Invaded.
Kill invader.
??????
RAGE.

I got invaded before I activated a bonfire in Sens. I lit the bonfire, and got invaded and killed before I got chance to rest at it. That was fairly annoying.

strafer

So does the game have some sort of cheat detection? You know if you give yourself some extra souls, will From know and ban you?

Tarkus

So does the game have some sort of cheat detection? You know if you give yourself some extra souls, will From know and ban you?
Not for the dupe glitch. For other methods, it's possible but not likely at this point in the game's life. DS2 is where they will bust your ass.

strafer

Not for the dupe glitch. For other methods, it's possible but not likely at this point in the game's life. DS2 is where they will bust your ass.

Yeah, I was looking at the dupe glitch, I wanted to try but was afraid From would notice I smash the banhammer on me, but now I might actually try it.

Top Bottom