• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Anustart

I know many people here will berate me for this, but while I do like a challenge, I don't particularly have time to die over and over and over again when I could just level up a lot and blow through areas easier. I'm wondering if there is a detriment to power leveling other than just being overpowered a bit? I'm about level 50 right now and I haven't beaten the butterfly yet, but I'll go there soon. Doing STR/DEX/END/VIT with a Claymore +5.

No one should berate anyone for playing a game in a fashion that makes them enjoy it more. Like others have said countless times, the game is open ended in how you approach it and using the tools given to you shouldn't cause any backlash whatsoever just because the other person didn't find it to be the way the game was 'meant' to be played.

If the game wasn't supposed to let players level grind, they wouldn't have put it in the game in the first place.

K, can someone help me out?

So I want the dark set, really really really want it. I plan to upgrade, and use it forever. And love it forever, it's basically my main motivation right now.

So I was under the impression that the guy that lets you join the faction spawns after you kill the 4 kings?

Well I've killed them (very disappointingly easy 1 shot fight btw, especially coming off the awesome Ornstein + smough fight which took me a fair bunch of tries), and nothing showed up but the bonfire.

So what's up? Where's the npc? I have the 30 humanity ready and everything.

mannerbot

K, can someone help me out?

So I want the dark set, really really really want it. I plan to upgrade, and use it forever. And love it forever, it's basically my main motivation right now.

So I was under the impression that the guy that lets you join the faction spawns after you kill the 4 kings?

Well I've killed them (very disappointingly easy 1 shot fight btw, especially coming off the awesome Ornstein + smough fight which took me a fair bunch of tries), and nothing showed up but the bonfire.

So what's up? Where's the npc? I have the 30 humanity ready and everything.

Sounds like you already placed the Lordvessel for Frampt.

rac

Banned
If you're ONLY after the Sunlight Medals, you can just farm them from the Lost Izalith shortcut.

I did get summoned once before O&S but the guy was already being invaded and I couldn't see the invader.

edit: I must have looked stupid sprinting at a homing soulmass and swinging wildly.

Kaathe only shows up if you didn't give the lord vessel to Frampt, i'm afraid you have to wait until NG+

Wait, so I can't join the darkwraith covenant at all now?

Well shit, god damn. I really wish the game had told that when placing the vessel.

That armour was all my motivation, and I don't have time + a massive backlog for another play though.

Thanks for the answers though.

Arjen

Well shit, god damn. I really wish the game had told that when placing the vessel.

That armour was all my motivation, and I don't have time + a massive backlog for another play though.

If you're on 360 I might have a set for you.

Unfortunately, that's half the fun of the Dark Wriath covenant, you either need to wait til NG+ or know the trick to getting in beforehand. My advice would be to just start a new character for the soul purpose of Dark Wraithing. Put this current one to use as a learning/experimenting one.

If you're on 360 I might have a set for you.

PC, thanks for the offer though.

I totally forgot you can trade it across via dropping, I'm going to go pester some friends who I know don't play anymore if they have a character in or above (or slightly below) my level range that can acquire or have it it and can pass it on to me.

There is hope!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys things there's any hope of being summoned at level 95 in regular NG around Gwyn or the DLC bosses?

Arjen

PC, thanks for the offer though.

I totally forgot you can trade it across via dropping, I'm going to go pester some friends who I know don't play anymore if they have a character in or above (or slightly below) my level range that can acquire or have it it and can pass it on to me.

There is hope!

It's maybe good to know that if you use a red soapstone, level range doesn't matter.

Randam

Hmm, I checked the wiki on Rhea of Thorolund and it doesn't mention anything about
what would become of her and her companions if you kill Patches early on in the game before they set out on their mission.

I've got a NG+ character that I might try that route with now.

well, seems like you have to kill patches before you killed the capra demon.

Oh, wow, interesting. I never knew this!

My current play through was co-op focused for NG, so I stayed relatively low level for match making purposes. I was SL 40 in the DLC and was summoned a few times to fight Artorias in NG+, apparently by hosts who were really really dedicated to staying low level.

what's the point of staying low level? Just for artificially challenging yourself?

Challenging yourself and staying within multi-player level ranges, both for co-op and pvp.

Now that I'm in NG+, I cashed in my stash of accumulated souls for a completely solo run, and now I'm SL 114.

Chitown B

Challenging yourself and staying within multi-player level ranges, both for co-op and pvp.

Now that I'm in NG+, I cashed in my stash of accumulated souls for a completely solo run, and now I'm SL 114.

I think I like to feel like a badass more than I like to die a lot. To each their own :)

Keasar

Welp, fuck that. Try to invade people as Darkmoon, most of the time nothing happens and the few times I do get to invade, its some jerk with "That Sword/Axe/Hammer +20" and enchanted with Murder that cuts through my armor in a swipe while my Greatsword of Artorias+5 might as well be used as a butterknife. Im just gonna Alt+F4 whenever I get invaded while trying to get to bosses as a human to summon phantoms for help, or disconnect from XBOX Live. RPGs have never been good for PVP anyway, always unbalanced as hell.

Prolly a better idea to just do coop through white summons and 3v1 invaders.

I wish, but I don't know anyone who plays Dark Souls who hasn't completed it and don't play it anymore. Being late to the party sucks.

mannerbot

I think I like to feel like a badass more than I like to die a lot. To each their own :)

Well, people that do challenge runs typically do it because normal ones are no longer difficult/interesting. You don't exactly feel like a badass when you do something you consider easy.

Chitown B

Staying low level and not dying a lot are not mutually exclusive. In fact, that's probably the best way to feel like a boss in this game.

What are you, casul? :D

haha.

Well, it'd be hard to wear heavy high stability and poise armor if you don't have much END, which requires leveling.

Randam

if you are going to do a low level/no leveling run, get good at doging dodging.

light armor and rolling is the key.
blocking hits/taking hits gets hard.

mannerbot

tumblr_inline_mu2ilgMMDF1qd1p1w.jpg

Started afresh a couple of nights ago in order to get my shit together for March 13... Man, it's been so long. I'm rusty as rusty balls wearing dual Rusted Iron Rings.

I think it's because I know the game like the back of my hand that my arrogance is off the charts. I'm taking on skellies, Titanite Dicks, the uber Black Knights at the Asylum; all the while being incredibly under-leveled. I'm rushing and being stupid, basically. That being said, everything pre-Capra has been an absolute breeze. Capra himself was probably my most trying encounter with him yet, which was aggravating.

I think a lot of it is due to a complete lack of over-leveling - which I think was pretty rife my first time through - and my adamantly using a +5 Winged Spear (I've not touched a spear in 240 hours of playtime, so I thought I'd try something different). The move-set is a bit too samey for me to really get comfortable with it, but hey, I've expended the resources now, so I'll stick with it. I'm eying off the Silver Knight Spear, but that's going to have to wait a bit.

So, yeah. It's great to be back, but it's also not. #darksouls

WonderPup

I just picked up this game for PS3, and I'm having an issue. Has anyone else encountered this?

My screen is cut off on the edges. To better put it, it's like I'm zoomed in; I can't see the left and right edges of the screen -- maybe even the top and bottom, too. For the d-pad indicator, I can see up, down, and right, but I can't see left. This is the first time I've tried to play.

I also tried playing other games, and their screen positioning is fine.

Is his a common problem with the game?

Top Bottom