• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Anustart

So after Anor Londo I've just been wandering aimlessly, tying up some loose ends. Finally found Havel and killed him, also managed to get the Drake Sword about 50 hours into my playthrough!

Just now went down into the catacombs then progressed into the
Tomb of Giants
and found a serpent ring that boosts souls, sadly it doesn't really boost that much :(

Edit: Tomb of Giants turned into a dead end with another gold doorway, so now I'ma poke around in New Londo and see if I can dig something up.

Nito's fight should have been much bigger and maybe even a bit darker. You are literally fighting death itself. Just seems like the perfect oppertunity for a massively climactic boss fight.

Ketch

There's an enemy near the beginning of the Archives that drops an item that you need for the DLC. You might've already gotten it.

so i checked my inventory and ran through the archives again twice but nothing jumped out to me.... unless its
the sparkling lizard
I cant catch him! any other spoiler free hints for me? Is there an NPC I should talk to?

I just heard youcan miss it and i dont want to miss it

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Alright, I'm thinking of buying the DLC tonight. I just opened the door to Kiln of the First Flame, that's not going to affect any of the additional content, right?

mannerbot

Alright, I'm thinking of buying the DLC tonight. I just opened the door to Kiln of the First Flame, that's not going to affect any of the additional content, right?

Stop right now if you don't want to have to play through NG+ to do the DLC. You're in the last part of the game, and it immediately goes into NG+ after the ending.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Weird. I got summoned and invaded super frequently in the Kiln, then I went and joined the Sunlight Warrior covenant and now it's basically like I'm offline.

I'm carrying almost 150k souls. Does this affect anything?

Weird. I got summoned and invaded super frequently in the Kiln, then I went and joined the Sunlight Warrior covenant and now it's basically like I'm offline.

I'm carrying almost 150k souls. Does this affect anything?

Co-op covenants (Sun Bros, Princess Guard, and Way of the White) prioritize p2p connections to members of other co-op covenants.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Quelaag after about 7 or so tries. Man, what an annoying boss that is.

Is there not a shortcut back to Firelink after you beat her? Am I going to have to trek all the way back through Blighttown and Depths to get there?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just beat Quelaag after about 7 or so tries. Man, what an annoying boss that is.

Is there not a shortcut back to Firelink after you beat her? Am I going to have to trek all the way back through Blighttown and Depths to get there?
There's a path that leads directly to Firelink. Look closer.

ZenaxPure

I beat Demon's Souls a couple days ago and decided to just jump straight into this. It doesn't run as well as I'd like on my PC, but, it's playable at least. I just rang the first bell, and, I think my initial reaction to this coming from Demon's is that, boy, this game feels noticeably more refined. I think the Bell Gargoyles were more interesting to fight than every single boss in Demon's. It kind of felt like a better Maneater fight since on Maneater I just stood up against that torch thing until they charged past me and I sliced the fuck out of them, with Gargoyles I was actually dodging/blocking attacks and such.

Anustart

There's a little shortcut you should be able to take. In lower blight town in that swamp. Leave the bonfire and head right, there will be stuff to climb and ride to a path.

Edit: I don't know if this is the way the other guy mentioned, I'm not incredibly versed on paths.

Also, just killed
Four Kings
in the New Londo area. Pretty easy fight, just went #yoloswaggins with my black knight greatsword and swung non-stop. And I joined
Kaathe
, screw frampt.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
so i checked my inventory and ran through the archives again twice but nothing jumped out to me.... unless its
the sparkling lizard
I cant catch him! any other spoiler free hints for me? Is there an NPC I should talk to?

I just heard youcan miss it and i dont want to miss it

Have you gone through Darkroot Basin yet? There's an NPC tucked away there that might give you a hint of what to look for.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OK found my way back to Firelink Shrine after an arduous process, and managed to bag a Fire Keeper Soul on the way. Not bad. But it seems it was all for naught since I can't use that bonfire any more.

Lol oh well. Off to Andre it is.

Gorillaz

OK found my way back to Firelink Shrine after an arduous process, and managed to bag a Fire Keeper Soul on the way. Not bad. But it seems it was all for naught since I can't use that bonfire any more.

That will fix itself in time. There will come a moment where you can get that bonfire back . Just press on

Inskipp

Did you check the area where the firekeeper resides? (the little cage/prison below the bonfire)

Okay! Found a new part of Sen's that I've never found before. This playthrough seems big on that...

dPcQ2HT.jpg

GdwBEy4.jpg

Right before the room that contains the Covetous Serpent Ring a little ladder that leads down to a narrow enclosure. What's it for? Would I be able to access the area to the left if I got there before the boulders slotted into the hole?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit?! I looked down the chasm in Darkroot Garden and saw... a dragon? What the fuck?

Jonm1010

Banned
Sooo I don't know whether this is a glitch in the pc version(am using the Durante fix) or how the game really is but in the sealed area in darkroot garden, if I go in in human form a wall of fog covers back up over the entrance, making me unable to leave.

Is this normal? My only solution has been to either die or occasionally the fog wall just disappears.

I haven't killed the boss in there yet if that's a reason???

Holy shit?! I looked down the chasm in Darkroot Garden and saw... a dragon? What the fuck?

It's a hydra, you should totally fight it :D

Edit
Sooo I don't know whether this is a glitch in the pc version(am using the Durante fix) or how the game really is but in the sealed area in darkroot garden, if I go in in human form a wall of fog covers back up over the entrance, making me unable to leave.

Is this normal? My only solution has been to either die or occasionally the fog wall just disappears.

I haven't killed the boss in there yet if that's a reason???

You mean the area that needed the 20k key you bought from the blacksmith? If you're human in there you can get invaded by a certain covenant...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's a hydra, you should totally fight it :D
Haha, no, it was actually a bizarre red lizard/stingray thing that I've never seen before. I can't believe I missed this area every time. Weird!

The area with the Wolf Ring

I've stayed away from miracles my first play thru (my faith is only at 8) but seeing other players chucking lightning bolts and team healing makes me a bit envious.

I am finally playing this game for the first time, and it is fucking hard. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, where the hell to go, or what anything means. I'm constantly getting killed by this swarm of skeletons at a cemetery, and this giant raven is freaking me out. I'm playing offiline, but I'm thinking about going online to see the notes people have left behind. Will this help any or do I just need to have patience and tough it out? I don't want to succumb to walkthroughs and FAQs for my first play through.

mannerbot

I am finally playing this game for the first time, and it is fucking hard. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, where the hell to go, or what anything means. I'm constantly getting killed by this swarm of skeletons at a cemetery, and this giant raven is freaking me out. I'm playing offiline, but I'm thinking about going online to see the notes people have left behind. Will this help any or do I just need to have patience and tough it out? I don't want to succumb to walkthroughs and FAQs for my first play through.

The cemetery is a higher-level area. Try going elsewhere first. Exhaust the NPC at the bonfire's dialogue for an idea of where to go. And just to make sure you don't go to the other place that you probably shouldn't go yet, take the path that leads up a hill. It's in the direction that the NPC at the bonfire is facing.

The cemetery is a higher-level area. Try going elsewhere first. Exhaust the NPC at the bonfire's dialogue for an idea of where to go. And just to make sure you don't go to the other place that you probably shouldn't go yet, take the path that leads up a hill. It's in the direction that the NPC at the bonfire is facing.

Haha yeah, I figured that out the hard way. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Ketch

Have you gone through Darkroot Basin yet? There's an NPC tucked away there that might give you a hint of what to look for.

Yey! I figured it out. Good hints.

The NPC you're talking about doesn't give you any hints though, so I needed your first clue aswell. Otherwise, because I hadn't talked to the NPC before going to the archive, I probably never would have figured it out.

Ferr986

yeah I would play online.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Haha yeah, I figured that out the hard way. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Or you can try to play defensive, instead of being an aggressor. Concentrating more on survival, instead of rushing/triggering into enemies.

You enter any area you are not supposed to be (not able to defeat enemies easily), just keep a way open incase you have to backtrack for safety. Check the surroundings, there will be areas where you can utilize its unique placement/location to your advantage.

Seanspeed

Banned
Definitely get online. The hints can be quite invaluable at times. You can avoid invasions by avoiding playing as a human as much as possible. Basically, only go human to kindle a bonfire. Stay undead for the rest of the game.

As far as avoiding walkthroughs and FAQ's, I know people say to do this on here, but I feel that's fairly bad advice. Walkthrough's, yea, you should probably steer clear of them. The open-ended nature of the game means you'll probably read stuff you didn't want to know about simply skimming through to find what you're looking for.

But FAQ's? Well, I wouldn't ignore the Dark Souls Wiki if you need to learn something about the game you don't understand. You can usually just jump straight to what you need to learn so you don't spoil yourself on other stuff. I don't think I would have made it through my first playthrough without it. Weapon upgrade system, for instance. Game doesn't explain it very well at all and unless you do a bit of research, there's a very good chance you'll waste your shards(what you upgrade weapons/armor with) on the wrong things.

Many people here will give you advice based on the assumption that you'll be doing multiple playthroughs(where you can do things 'right') and tell you not to grind or use FAQ's or whatever. I say do what you feel you need to do. The game can be awfully frustrating and it *IS* possible to miss a whole lot(including entire areas) and do things very wrong if you're unaware. By all means, try and play the game without these things if you want, just don't feel like you're cheapening your experience by having to look something up. I imagine *most* people use a guide of some sort at some point in their first playthroughs and it definitely does not make this game any less amazing.

So after Anor Londo I've just been wandering aimlessly, tying up some loose ends.....
Edit: Tomb of Giants turned into a dead end with another gold doorway, so now I'ma poke around in New Londo and see if I can dig something up.
You can now remove those gold doorways blocking your way by
Speaking to Frampt at Firelink Shrine
, Gwynevere does say to do this in her dialogue, but if you don't talk to her you might miss it.

You can use the Firekeeper Soul to upgrade your Estus at other Firekeepers, of which one you may have missed
There is an illusory wall below the Blighttown bell of awakening - DO NOT attack the NPC blocking your way after the illusory wall. (Not a biggie at all though if you do as most people don't realise he is NPC on their first playthrough)

Many people here will give you advice based on the assumption that you'll be doing multiple playthroughs(where you can do things 'right') and tell you not to grind or use FAQ's or whatever. I say do what you feel you need to do. The game can be awfully frustrating and it *IS* possible to miss a whole lot(including entire areas) and do things very wrong if you're unaware. By all means, try and play the game without these things if you want, just don't feel like you're cheapening your experience by having to look something up. I imagine *most* people use a guide of some sort at some point in their first playthroughs and it definitely does not make this game any less amazing.
Absolutely agree. Play it your way.

Xemerau

Neo Member
I've stayed away from miracles my first play thru (my faith is only at 8) but seeing other players chucking lightning bolts and team healing makes me a bit envious.

Miracles aren't that great outside of PVE, the Spear miracles are so slow to cast and travel that they are easily rolled past and Sunlight miracles requires both a heavy investment in faith (36 and 48) and you have to be aligned with the princess guard covenant to get them.

If you do end up going with a faith build having both of the buffing miracles is ok, but it takes up two spell slots whereas the magic weapon spells are generally stronger and have more casts.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

There's a path that leads directly to Firelink. Look closer.

I had a pretty easy time with Quelagg the other night, but I also could not find a quick way back up topside. I searched around for quite some time too, even explored that Demon Realm a bit too just to see if a path up was there. Didn't find anything, so I made the long trek back up the Blighttown ladders through the tunnel and across the ravine and up the Firelink elevator under the bonfire. Sounds like I might have missed a shortcut afterall?

You can use the Firekeeper Soul to upgrade your Estus at other Firekeepers, of which one you may have missed
There is an illusory wall below the Blighttown bell of awakening - DO NOT attack the NPC blocking your way after the illusory wall. (Not a biggie at all though if you do as most people don't realise he is NPC on their first playthrough)

Damnit, really? Sigh, guess I need to trek back down to the Blighttown bell tonight, seems like I missed a few things down there....

Miracles aren't that great outside of PVE, the Spear miracles are so slow to cast and travel that they are easily rolled past and Sunlight miracles requires both a heavy investment in faith (36 and 48) and you have to be aligned with the princess guard covenant to get them.

If you do end up going with a faith build having both of the buffing miracles is ok, but it takes up two spell slots whereas the magic weapon spells are generally stronger and have more casts.
Doesn't one of the Princess Guard spells take up two slots as well? I did a 'white knight' build recently because I'd never used them and remember being disappointed with them - not worth the investment of slots or faith.

I remember casting the gradual health regen one a few times in co-op before entering O&S and just thinking "well that was pointless". Some spells just suck I guess!

Soulhouf

This is not true. Even when not maxed, Darkmoon Blade is the most powerful buff in the game and Sunlight Blade is equivalent to CMW.
They also look much cooler than the Crystal Magic Weapon. But you have a point, they only have one cast.

Here is a comparison:

iNNR2RReOeLsK.png

Darkmoon Blade really hurts at 50 faith.

Chitown B

got the Wolf Ring last night :) Also just now beat the butterfly. Much easier since I was calm about it.

Also went back and grabbing the chest at the butcher - apparently I did miss it. Now my issue is that I am not near any area where I can get large titanite shards for the blacksmith. So it's kinda pointless currently.

Top Bottom