• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

First few invasions and co-op on PC and everyone's a hacker. Usually it's benign - skeletally thin Smough armor or dude with giant head. Then had one guy who seemingly couldn't be backstabbed - is that a thing? Anyway, not complaining or anything, just wondering if it's usually like this?

Edit: Just five minutes ago. Invaded by someone named "Ephintus". I'm waiting by the altar in the Undead Parish for the guy to come down the stairs, but he never does. Suddenly I get a backstab animation but there's no one there. I get cursed and eggheaded simultaneously. Worst of all, when I respawn at the bonfire I find that I'm no longer able to wield the Flamberge I was successfully wielding seconds before - when I use the one-handed attack it gives me the animation I'd get if I didn't have enough strength. My stats didn't change at all. The curse and egghead I can deal with, but regarding my ability to use weapons...did this guy ruin my character?

LBgGNP8.jpg

Soulhouf

Well shit. 75% of the online interactions I've had today have been with hackers. Is that normal or are they just going berserk in the waning days of Dark Souls PVP?

The few hours I had with the PC version, my online experience was running into hackers 50% of the time.

Actually DSVfix may fix your character. Check this link.

The few hours I had with the PC version, my online experience was running into hackers 50% of the time.

Actually DSVfix may fix your character. Check this link.

Downloaded and installed...unfortunately, it didn't fix my stat draining. It says I need to rest at a bonfire and it'll give me back my points to spend, but no luck. Maybe I did something wrong?

Does anyone familiar with DSVfix know which version of the VC++ redistributable to download? The mod page says x86 but I downloaded the 64. Would that make a difference?

Also the mod page says the stat draining issue was fixed with a patch? My game is fully updated so apparently not...

Soulhouf

Downloaded and installed...unfortunately, it didn't fix my stat draining. It says I need to rest at a bonfire and it'll give me back my points to spend, but no luck. Maybe I did something wrong?

Does anyone familiar with DSVfix know which version of the VC++ redistributable to download? The mod page says x86 but I downloaded the 64. Would that make a difference?

Also the mod page says the stat draining issue was fixed with a patch? My game is fully updated so apparently not...

Maybe the hacker did something else other than stat draining?
Actually what DSVfix does is pretty simple. It checks an equation involving your level, your stats and your starting class when you rest at a bonfire. If it doesn't match, it readjust your level and gives you the necessary souls to level up to your previous level.
I don't know about the patch though...

Now it's probably too late for your character but you really should enable the save backup in DSFix to be able to undo whatever nasty effects hackers may do to you.

That's pretty crazy that a hacker can kill you and permanently cripple your character. Does the PC version not have any kind of anti-cheat protection? Or at least something that scans save files when loaded?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The DLC bosses are easily some of the best in the game. I'm really happy with how they turned out. It makes me that much for excited for DS2.

JustinBB7

I always hear horror stories about hackers on pc, but so far I've never had one yet. Maybe just lucky I suppose. Really hope this will not be possible in 2.

Maybe the hacker did something else other than stat draining?
Actually what DSVfix does is pretty simple. It checks an equation involving your level, your stats and your starting class when you rest at a bonfire. If it doesn't match, it readjust your level and gives you the necessary souls to level up to your previous level.
I don't know about the patch though...

Now it's probably too late for your character but you really should enable the save backup in DSFix to be able to undo whatever nasty effects hackers may do to you.

Okay, good news. I'm pretty sure I was imagining the attack lag with my Flamberge. I wasn't hugely familiar with the weapon and was still kind of freaked out after getting seriously hacked for the first time. If your SL and stats remained the same the hacker couldn't have drained you, right? So I think I was just left with curse and egghead...very annoying but manageable.

All in all I've had a very unlucky day with hackers. I'll be sure to back-up my save from now on.

Can you get hacked like in normal invasions? I don't plan on doing any lvl on purpose, am I still at risk?
Yeah, I got invaded like normal. Thought I was just waiting for him to descend the stairs but I got cursed/eggheaded by an invisible douchebag instead.

That's pretty crazy that a hacker can kill you and permanently cripple your character. Does the PC version not have any kind of anti-cheat protection? Or at least something that scans save files when loaded?
I think the last DS patch was supposed to have fixed the stat draining issue, and barring that DSVfix is supposed to work well to. Ultimately it seems the best defense is to just back-up your saves.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Artorias is one of the best boss battles ever.
Easily! I can't think of one I enjoy more.

Manus, too, felt tense as hell but completely fair. And, I mean, the Kalameet fight was the first real dragon boss, if I remember right? Again: fair attacks, reasonable damage output, yet still hard as hell if you're not paying attention.

It's a hugely encouraging trend. Even bosses that were essentially fair in Dark Souls weren't always super interesting. The Centipede Demon? Nito? Seath? All great premises with boring fights.

I just enabled auto back-up for DSFix and now the game won't recognize my save data...I checked my save folder and it's still there, but the game's not recognizing it. Probably a better question for the DSfix thread, but who knows.

Okay, good news. I'm pretty sure I was imagining the attack lag with my Flamberge. I wasn't hugely familiar with the weapon and was still kind of freaked out after getting seriously hacked for the first time. If your SL and stats remained the same the hacker couldn't have drained you, right? So I think I was just left with curse and egghead...very annoying but manageable.

All in all I've had a very unlucky day with hackers. I'll be sure to back-up my save from now on.

Yeah, I got invaded like normal. Thought I was just waiting for him to descend the stairs but I got cursed/eggheaded by an invisible douchebag instead.

I think the last DS patch was supposed to have fixed the stat draining issue, and barring that DSVfix is supposed to work well to. Ultimately it seems the best defense is to just back-up your saves.

Even though I'm on PS3 it's still pretty bad that people can do this. From said they are putting more effort into the PC version of the game this time around so maybe that includes better cheat/hacking countermeasures.

Easily! I can't think of one I enjoy more.

Manus, too, felt tense as hell but completely fair. And, I mean, the Kalameet fight was the first real dragon boss, if I remember right? Again: fair attacks, reasonable damage output, yet still hard as hell if you're not paying attention.

It's a hugely encouraging trend. Even bosses that were essentially fair in Dark Souls weren't always super interesting. The Centipede Demon? Nito? Seath? All great premises with boring fights.

The Centipede Demon was so dumb. I beat it the very first time by just staying around the fog gate. As it was standing in lava, I just waited to see what the Centipede's moveset was. After sidestepping a few of its long range claws it jumped on top of me. I got up, mashed R1 a bunch of times (used Serpent Greatsword +15), drank Estus maybe twice, and I won. Being against a wall made my camera spazz out, so I couldn't really see much. I even cut its tail off accidentally in the middle of the fight. The whole thing felt underwhelming.

The Centipede Demon was so dumb. I beat it the very first time by just staying around the fog gate. As it was standing in lava, I just waited to see what the Centipede's moveset was. After sidestepping a few of its long range claws it jumped on top of me. I got up, mashed R1 a bunch of times (used Serpent Greatsword +15), drank Estus maybe twice, and I won. Being against a wall made my camera spazz out, so I couldn't really see much. I even cut its tail off accidentally in the middle of the fight. The whole thing felt underwhelming.

You've basically described why I consider it the worst boss in the game. Especially the camera part.

I'm loving the co-op, holy shit. That sense of camaraderie fighting off an invader and then taking down a boss...I should have started using the white sign soapstone sooner

Jonm1010

Banned
I can't say how frustrated I am with myself.

I gravitated toward trying to find the hardest hitting and strongest weapons along with the best armor to one hit kill enemies and take lots of damage.

So I ended up making a strength/endurance/vitality build.

Im at SL62 and realize I hate my build(I spent a TON of time grinding because for some reason I enjoy that)

My guy is a tank, can barely move, swinging a weapon that takes forever to contact(elite armor set with large club) and I have no diversity in my moveset. I struggled with blghttowm, took forever to beat the boss. And now I am having a hell of a time in sens fortress without projectiles and fast movement.

Should I just restart at this point or is there any suggestions for me???

Is there a build that kills most enemies with one hit but still gives me the freedom of movement and quick weapon striking while having some sort of projectiles at my disposal??? Again I don't mind grinding to achieve it but I just want to a build I can enjoy the game with and not feel like I am completely inadequate in most areas.

Ketch

I gravitated toward trying to find the hardest hitting and strongest weapons along with the best armor to one hit kill enemies and take lots of damage.

Im at SL62 and realize I hate my build(I spent a TON of time grinding because for some reason I enjoy that)

My guy is a tank, can barely move, swinging a weapon that takes forever to contact(elite armor set with large club) and I have no diversity in my moveset. I struggled with blghttowm, took forever to beat the boss. And now I am having a hell of a time in sens fortress without projectiles and fast movement.

Is there a build that kills most enemies with one hit but still gives me the freedom of movement and quick weapon striking while having some sort of projectiles at my disposal??? Again I don't mind grinding to achieve it but I just want to a build I can enjoy the game with and not feel like I am completely inadequate in most areas.

Try playing through without grinding, you'll naturally gravitate towards an effective build you enjoy as you learn by progressing through the game.

I'm loving the co-op, holy shit. That sense of camaraderie fighting off an invader and then taking down a boss...I should have started using the white sign soapstone sooner

I want to do this too, but I never know where to put my sign

mannerbot

If you hate playing with heavy armor, why not just use light armor? Short of completely doing a 180 with your playstyle though, try swapping out a few pieces so that you can get under 50% equipment load so that you can get midroll (assuming that you're over 50% right now and fatrolling). It'll make a big difference and I think it'll probably be good enough to satisfy you. But if you do want to make the switch to light armor and getting under 25% equip load, there's nothing stopping you.

As far as a fast-hitting weapon that still one-shots enemies, I hope you realize how stupid that would be, lol. How many points have you put into strength, exactly? If it's a lot then perhaps you can try the Man-serpent Greatsword for something a bit faster than what you've got right now. However, since you are "only" level 62 (which is really high for Sen's, but not so high that you'd have a ton of points in any stat), you can probably transition into a Quality (strength + dexterity) scaling weapon like the Claymore.

Mindlog

Yeah that's kind of the double edged thing when people advise others not to summon.
I like being summoned.

It adds a lot of randomness to the game and sometimes trying to not kill everything can be a challenge. Things get really fun when invaders are thrown into the mix. The PvE/P in Dark Souls 2 may lose something with the specificity of its summoning practices. Warping to another world really helped me improve my menu quick switching.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Not really cheating, but you have to admit, when you're struggling in the Depths or the Parish and you summon someone ninja flipping with a lightning+5 uchi that OHKOs everything and roflstomps the boss in seconds for you, it takes away from the experience... :p

It really is the biggest downfall of the PC version, unfortunately. Thanks to people being good with computers today, its completely possible to quickly and efficiently repair frame rate, textures, latency issues.... but you can't mod/patch human nature. People are always going to search for ways they can exploit the system and this game gives them length of oppertunities to do so.... Thankfully single player can be incredibly fun on its own. If you are afraid of this sort of thing happening, set it to offline mode, stay hollow, or simply abandon the game the moment you're knvaded.

Chitown B

if you were leveling up END, why can't you move? Maybe try cutting back to at least <50% weight. Or get Havel's Ring.

'it's cheating to have help #MLGPROYOLOSWAG'
so dickwaving? That's fucking stupid.

I was a summon helping someone else take on Ornstien and Smough. Smough had me trapped in the corner and was just beating the shit, I was close to dead and had no time to heal. Just in the nick of time the host ran over, took aggro and gave me time to escape. Once we broke free, he took the time to heal me up too. It was just so fucking epic

There is a point in co-op play that just becomes so greatly satisfying when you're working as a team and supporting one another. It helps that you're alone (and getting your ass kicked) 99.9% of the time so when you finally do get some assistance, it feels like a welcome addition. Long story short, I love co-op in general and its sweet as fuck and immensely satisfying in Dark Souls.

lyonhardt

Beat O&S on NG+ yesterday.

I'm playing with a guide for this playthrough just so I don't miss important equipment/secrets or NPC quests (I'm realising I missed a lot during my first playthrough, there was a lot of secret area type things I was COMPLETELY unaware of in Sen's Fortress). I had never summoned anyone, including NPCs, for boss fights before (not necessarily because I wanted to keep the experience 'pure' or whatever, but because I was unaware and hollow most of the time) so I've been doing that this time. That definitely made O&S easier, but my heart was still racing like it was during my first playthrough. Such a good boss battle. I saved Ornstein for last, and he killed the NPC summon right away. This was my first time seeing giant Ornstein, I just played it very carefully and beat him in one go.

Randam

no need to restart.
just change you equipment, if you dont like it.
the build is totally fine.
level is a little bit to high, but other than that..

to one shot enemys you need a different weapon, hyper mode, buffs and a larger level.

edit: this guy killed almost every boss with one hit: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheIsotrop/videos
but is it not like, you go through the fog, run up to the boss, press r1 or r2 and he is gone.

So, I finally decided to give up the Drake Sword. Upgraded the... shit, can't remember which one it was. A halberd, gargoyle's halberd maybe. Currently +6. Stopped upgrading because I want to save some large titanite chunks for later.

Also upgraded the elite knight armor to +4. And I'm still under 50% of what I can carry.
Today I'll go back to Blight Town and destroy the shit out of the boss (haven't fought him yet).

I want to do this too, but I never know where to put my sign
There's usually a popular spot in each area, just look for other people's signs - it's usually either at the start of an area, the boss fog door or nearest bonfire - example:

Undead Parish - Sunlight Altar bonfire/steps (to do the whole level) or the area between the church entrance and the path to Andre (to do the boss)
Depths - bonfire room
Anor Londo - Bonfire room
Sen's - first room (to do the whole level), boss fog door (to do just the boss)
etc,etc.

So, I finally decided to give up the Drake Sword. Upgraded the... shit, can't remember which one it was. A halberd, gargoyle's halberd maybe. Currently +6. Stopped upgrading because I want to save some large titanite chunks for later.

Also upgraded the elite knight armor to +4. And I'm still under 50% of what I can carry.
Today I'll go back to Blight Town and destroy the shit out of the boss (haven't fought him yet).
The leeches in Blighttown drop large titanite shards and green titanite shards, so I would farm some whilst down there for your upgrades.

Keasar

Tired of being invaded by assholes, I decided to join up with the Darkmoon Covenant and start hunting these pricks down, but I don't seem to have any luck with the Blue Eye Orbs at all. Every time I have tried I keep getting "Invasion Failed" despite every port being open. Is this common or?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Tired of being invaded by assholes, I decided to join up with the Darkmoon Covenant and start hunting these pricks down, but I don't seem to have any luck with the Blue Eye Orbs at all. Every time I have tried I keep getting "Invasion Failed" despite every port being open. Is this common or?

Where are you typically trying to invade?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Oh, its a matter of where? I always tried using the orb inside the Darkmoon sanctuary, thought it could only be used there. Well, will have to try elsewhere than. :p

Well, my understanding is that it works similar to the red eye orb -- you use it in an area where you want to invade. It'll only allow you to invade a player who fits all the necessary criteria: player is in human form, is in an area for which they have not defeated that area's boss, has sinned, is within the level range (which is more generous for Darkmoon invaders, so this won't be a huge problem). The requirement for the player to have sinned might rule out a decent portion of early game areas.

Arjen

I never have any luck invading as a Darkmoon either.

Well... the fight against
Quelaag
was interesting. Got beat once while I had Mildred and some guy helping me... came back with two guys from the interwebs, and one of them just one shot the boss with a spell.

I'm both glad I'm done with that boss (since when she killed me, we had almost killed her) and disappointed I had nothing to do except walk in the room.

Divius

and one of them just one shot the boss with a spell...disappointed I had nothing to do except walk in the room.
Yeah that sucks. I've had that happen to me once on my first playthrough with Sif. (note that I did try the boss and nearly succeeded lots of times before I tried to summon though)

Usually when I get summoned I try to determine if the host is new/experienced and adjust my playstyle accordingly. If he seems like a new player I assist and defend him, take the some of the aggro and let the host work the boss. I always try to let them get the final blow in as well.

If it is an experienced player that runs through the level and just wants go fast, I go all out attack and we usually finish bosses without any trouble. High speed, low drag. Gotta go fast.

E92 M3

Hey guys, would anyone be able to give me
Kalameet's tail
sword? I tried many times on multiple play throughs to get it but no luck. I have stuff to trade as well since I'm on ng+++.

I'm on the 360 and level 125. Thanks a lot in advance!

Arjen

People should indicte more to give Darkmoons something to do.
Hope they fixed that in DS2, i really like the concept behind it.

Keasar

People should indicte more to give Darkmoons something to do.
Hope they fixed that in DS2, i really like the concept behind it.

Think they mentioned that "Blue Phantoms" this time may be summoned to players who are currently being invaded to help defend them.

JustinBB7

Just take off your armor for parts like sens, and put it back on for certain fights. It's how I played my first time the second half of the game. Also maybe find some other weapons that are faster. I used a basic longsword +15 and it was super strong/fast because of my build. I mostly ran around naked at that point too even though I had some of the best heavy armor. I wasn't getting hit anyway with rolling/blocking.

It just happened. I told myself it wasn't going to happen to me.

theaveragedarksoulsdarfulh.gif

It happened. Calling it for the night.

I've seen this gif a million times, and when I finally got there myself I was disappointed I didn't fall. I just took them down really easily, and after dying to the boss a few times I just ran straight past them without even having to fight lol.

Top Bottom