• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So... killing
Sif
is bullshit. He's there
guarding the grave of his comrade and partner who ended up dying (or becoming possessed) trying to defend another land and you run in and murder him for a shitty ring
? Is that more or less the story here? Did I miss something

But yeah, fuck that shit

JustinBB7

So... killing
Sif
is bullshit. He's there
guarding the grave of his comrade and partner who ended up dying (or becoming possessed) trying to defend another land and you run in and murder him for a shitty ring

But yeah, fuck that shit

You will need that later. Can't finish the game without it.

Anustart

Make it a double battle with Sif's ghost as well ;_;

Artorias riding Sif, and since Artorias would have his sword, Sif would
have Ornestein and Smough in his mouth swinging them around.
Of course this is all done with lava on the ground.

Edit: So I'm loving the game and all, but one thing just really feels off with the world, and that's npc's. The whole kingdom of Lordran is basically one big pit of death, yet we have straggler npc's just peppered throughout living in peace and harmony in areas that are incredibly dangerous. I can understand npc's chillin' out at firelink, but the one's elsewhere are out of place I guess.

Sullichin

ghosts do if you grab that transient curse right at the beginning. Still pretty impossible though...

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of Crystal weapons are. Seems like they are just there for trolling.

Crystal +4 weapons are more powerful than +15 weapons, and don't need a slab. You could stock up on chunks, and buy a few Demon Great Machetes from Shiva. Upgrade one to Crystal +2 or +3 and then to +4 when the durability gets low, and then after the +4 breaks make another.

Raw is the truly useless weapon path.

Gorillaz

I understand that. I'm not complaining about the boss fight itself, but the motivation for being there and killing him story wise.

It's more of a captain goes down with the ship, sort of deal. There is a lot of power in that ring (story spoilers)
His owner watched over the abyss for years, even being corrupted by it. His companion sif was all that he had left in "that world" and he wanted sif to get out. Sif just wants to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. Putting him down is bittersweet because it's like "damn he went through all of that? and now i have to put him down" but at the same time it was best to allow him to finally "move on" and deal with the abyss yourself.

edit: this is probably one of the few times the player being an asshole makes sense storyline wise.

Chitown B

Crystal +4 weapons are more powerful than +15 weapons, and don't need a slab. You could stock up on chunks, and buy a few Demon Great Machetes from Shiva. Upgrade one to Crystal +2 or +3 and then to +4 when the durability gets low, and then after the +4 breaks make another.

I guess. Seems more stable to just level one weapon and keep it.

Soulhouf

I totally agree for Crystal Weapons. They became my favorite upgrade path since my first NG+2.

But I don't agree with your statement regarding Raw weapons. Sure, they are worthless for a long run, but they very are useful pre-Anor Londo. For example a raw Long Sword+5 does more damage than Long Sword+10 with just the required stats.

It's more of a captain goes down with the ship, sort of deal. There is a lot of power in that ring (story spoilers)
His owner watched over the abyss for years, even being corrupted by it. His companion sif was all that he had left in "that world" and he wanted sif to get out. Sif just wants to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else. Putting him down is bittersweet because it's like "damn he went through all of that? and now i have to put him down" but at the same time it was best to allow him to finally "move on" and deal with the abyss yourself.

edit: this is probably one of the few times the player being an asshole makes sense storyline wise.

IMO, the player as a nice guy only works if you roleplay that he's totally naive and oblivious the whole time. If he actually knows what he's doing (
and after talking to Kaathe and visiting Oolacile he has no excuse not to
) then he's either a
tyrant willing to cover the world in darkness for the promise of power
or an
aider and abetter of a corrupt religion that's determined to use you and people like you as kindling for eternity
. Either way, not a nice guy.

Man why do people make such a fuss about blighttown when Tomb of the Giants exists?

This place is the worst. Can't see 5 feet infront of you w/o a lantern, ledges everywhere, unavoidable drop before the boss that takes off 50% if your health. I lost my souls once in there, and I was more annoyed at having to do it again than losing 70k souls, at Least the boss was a pushover.

thanks for this, I'm still piecing together the story. The whole thing still feels slimy to me, the player is definitely an asshole here.

BTW, anyone on 360 around SL 85 want to help me with Artorias? The fight is awesome but my build isn't really set up to be very effective against him. I'm summoned constantly in that area but never see any summon signs myself

mannerbot

thanks for this, I'm still piecing together the story. The whole thing still feels slimy to me, the player is definitely an asshole here.

BTW, anyone on 360 around SL 85 want to help me with Artorias? The fight is awesome but my build isn't really set up to be very effective against him. I'm summoned constantly in that area but never see any summon signs myself

Wait, you haven't beaten the game yet? You've got most of it but there's a little bit more to it and the cutscene that plays when you fight Sif changes if you've done most of the DLC beforehand.

Here's a link to all of VaatiVidya's lore videos, the Sif stuff is in the Artorias video:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWLedd0Zw3c5RCXboUsPwHsZJlXB2CzCz

Obviously heavy spoilers for all of the game.

soontroll

Banned
That dude rarely put his tail down lol.

I far more easy if anyone help you tanking him.

YESS I GOT IT! FUCK YOU KALAMEET!

The funny thing is that by spending the past 45 minutes trying to get his tail, I've pretty much memorised his moveset. Killing him should be a piece of cake now.

YESS I GOT IT! FUCK YOU KALAMEET!

The funny thing is that by spending the past 45 minutes trying to get his tail, I've pretty much memorised his moveset. Killing him should be a piece of cake now.
nice. I helped beat him twice as a summon and managed to get his tail off but its been impossible to do in my game.

Its crazy how addicted I've become to watching Let's Play videos on YouTube for players starting the game and going through undead parish. Watching the reactions of new players to asylum demon or taurus demon never gets old, hahaha

E92 M3

nice. I helped beat him twice as a summon and managed to get his tail off but its been impossible to do in my game.

Its crazy how addicted I've become to watching Let's Play videos on YouTube for players starting the game and going through undead parish. Watching the reactions of new players to asylum demon or tararus demon never gets old, hahaha

My sentiments exactly! I love to watch streams of blind playthroughs. It's like reliving Dark Souls vicariously through others. Tons of fun. This game is just magical. Jeez I sound like a rapid fanboy lol.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Running into a fair few cheaters while I'm invading the last few weeks, but just got some sweet revenge on one :p Invaded a dude and encountered him where you meet your first armored tusk after the sunlight alter. Looked a new player so I hit him a few times with my bare fist and didn't do a single point of damage. Switched to pyromancy, again no damage. Lured him up the stairs and got his back to the ledge, just kept hitting him with black flame and he was stun locked all the way over :D

E92 M3

Ran into a guy with infinite health in the forest -- made him blindly chase me off the cliff. Got a good amount of souls for that. Then I sent him a message "saying gravity breaks the damage limit :p"

ShaneDude

Can anyone trade me:
-Soul of Sif (or uncursed Artorias Greatsword)
-White Slab (or +10 Magic weapon)
-Blue Slab (or +10 occult weapon)

I'm so close to the platinum but I don't want to do another playthrough :(

So... killing
Sif
is bullshit. He's there

But yeah, fuck that shit
If you really want to get depressed,
Free Sif in the DLC before you kill him in the main story. You get a slightly different intro video that will make you want to cry in a corner for a while...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They change
Sif's intro
if you beat the DLC first? That's super impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mElcgzq2Nm8&

Looooooooooool

UyXQm3I.gif

neoemonk

I'm level 82 and I need four more Sunlight Medals to hit level 1 with the Warrior of Sunlight covenant. Playing on PC. I've put down summon signs outside of Seath's room and Four Kings but I haven't been summoned yet.

Should I just finish the attunement in NG+? I think I might be too high level to be summoned.

I'm level 82 and I need four more Sunlight Medals to hit level 1 with the Warrior of Sunlight covenant. Playing on PC. I've put down summon signs outside of Seath's room and Four Kings but I haven't been summoned yet.

Should I just finish the attunement in NG+? I think I might be too high level to be summoned.
Not sure if those are really good spots, especially not 4k. From my exp, if you want Seath do the main bonfire. Though, totg and Bed of Chaos are much more frequent. Could even try o&s or last boss.

Inskipp

What's the best place to farm Titanite Slabs? New Londo or somewhere else?
New Londo is the only place where they have a chance to drop. It's a really low chance though, I've only gotten one drop after like 50 chunks and dozens of Dark Hands.

neoemonk

Not sure if those are really good spots, especially not 4k. From my exp, if you want Seath do the main bonfire. Though, totg and Bed of Chaos are much more frequent. Could even try o&s or last boss.

I'll try Bed of Chaos later I guess. I hate Tomb of the Giants. I didn't have any luck at O&S. Figured I was too high level but maybe I'll try longer.

Top Bottom