• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

silva1991

I never tried the game at 60fps before even though I had a gaming PC since 2013

the game is so weird at 60fps after 1000 hours on PS3 @@

laxu

As someone who just took about 15 tries to make it past the Silver Knight Archers on a narrow ledge. I can empathize with the frustration of the ledges. I think at times it works well, like in Sen's, but other times it feels cheap like in Anor Londo.

Yeah that section was one huge crock of bullshit level design. Essentially you have to roll every arrow perfectly as blocking will make you fall. The Great Hollow and Crystal Cave have some of the same shitty areas where just being on the wrong side of a walkway will end up sending you to your doom. By comparison Sen's Fortress is lots of fun as the areas where you can drop are more like action puzzles.

I'm fine with the DS series ending, after the two upcoming DLCs that is. As From is unlikely to just throw away a game format that they rule single-handedly and since they love reusing lots of their assets and animations I would not be surprised if their next game plays like a Souls game anyway, just with a new setting. If they can do something as good as Bloodborne I'll be one happy sunbro.

Tarkus

Yeah that section was one huge crock of bullshit level design. Essentially you have to roll every arrow perfectly as blocking will make you fall. The Great Hollow and Crystal Cave have some of the same shitty areas where just being on the wrong side of a walkway will end up sending you to your doom. By comparison Sen's Fortress is lots of fun as the areas where you can drop are more like action puzzles.

I'm fine with the DS series ending, after the two upcoming DLCs that is. As From is unlikely to just throw away a game format that they rule single-handedly and since they love reusing lots of their assets and animations I would not be surprised if their next game plays like a Souls game anyway, just with a new setting. If they can do something as good as Bloodborne I'll be one happy sunbro.
They are already developing another fantasy action RPG like SoulsBorne as we speak!

They are already developing another fantasy action RPG like SoulsBorne as we speak!

Source?

edit:

From a Miyazaki interview during the time of E3. If you can read Japanese or have a browser translator: original source

Here's the twitter from someone familiar with the interview: Sorry it's twitter

Here's the thread about it: Sorry it's a mobile link

Nice! I'll take anything FROM pumps out, after the one-two punch of BB and DSIII I am fully on board.

tebunker

Banned
From a Miyazaki interview during the time of E3. If you can read Japanese or have a browser translator: original source

Here's the twitter from someone familiar with the interview: Sorry it's twitter

Here's the thread about it: Sorry it's a mobile link

Yeah I remember seeing all this here on GAF. Like I said, I just hope it really gleans all the best from before. Honestly, Bloodborne comes close so we shall see.

Update, made it to the Tomb of Giants tonight.

rahji

just got to the boss in sen's fortress but he killed me with ease. Finally found a shortcut through this terrible area. so many avoidable deaths. and that lightning spear is so far the best weapon because it works on everything!

just got to the boss in sen's fortress but he killed me with ease. Finally found a shortcut through this terrible area. so many avoidable deaths. and that lightning spear is so far the best weapon because it works on everything!
I wouldn't get too attached to the lightning spear unless you really like the moveset, elemental weapons will lose their appeal as you get higher level since they receive no bonus damage scaling from your stats. You'll also soon be able to make any regular weapon lightning.

There is also a second bonfire in Sen's, if you haven't found it, makes boss runs, well it doesn't make that much difference tbh once you unlock the cage shortcut, but it's handy to have any way!

rahji

Beat the boss in sen's fortress and got to anor londo. somehow managed to get past all those knights which kill me in 3 hits or shoot arrows which knock me down into the abyss. now i opened the door of the great church, went into the white fog and died after 10 seconds from the boss. urgh
still using my upgraded lightning spear though.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Beat the boss in sen's fortress and got to anor londo. somehow managed to get past all those knights which kill me in 3 hits or shoot arrows which knock me down into the abyss. now i opened the door of the great church, went into the white fog and died after 10 seconds from the boss. urgh

Ornstein & Smough? good luck :) summon solaire he might not last long but he will distract 1 of them letting you kill the other. use the broken pillars to your advantage and keep both bosses in view at all times especially ornstein. i'd take him out first unless you want his armor.

tebunker

Banned

Also no lightning spear for those guys. See them pulsatin bolts of lightning. Not good for a lightning spear.

Also don't know your build but did you get any Silver Gear? May want to wear it if you can.

And I doubly suggest using Solaire. Don't be like me though, kill the sentinels in the room first. Solaire can sometimes beat Ornstein on his own.

I was honestly sad that there was no message to say "The real Dark Souls starts now" after O&S. I loved that message in Demon's Souls.

.Anema

Hey guys! Anyone still playing this on PS3? Last night I was summoned 5 times to help against Ornstein and Smough haha.
I'm at SL60 just after beating Anor Londo. I'm at good SL? Should I stay or level up in order to be more summoned from this point?
This is my third playthrough (2 on PC and now on console, I want that platinum :D)

Hey guys! Anyone still playing this on PS3? Last night I was summoned 5 times to help against Ornstein and Smough haha.
I'm at SL60 just after beating Anor Londo. I'm at good SL? Should I stay or level up in order to be more summoned from this point?
This is my third playthrough (2 on PC and now on console, I want that platinum :D)
I haven't played since just before DS3 came out, but it was still very active online on PS3 then so I'm not surprised it's still the case and happy to see it too.

I think SL60 is actually fine for where you are, you should get summoned just fine at that level for the next few areas like Dukes Archives, 4 Kings, Tomb of Giants. go to SL70-80 would be fine too, but then might drop you out of range for most people going through Anor Londo, so you takes your pick. I always preferred low to mid level pvp/co-op and SL50-60 is that sweetspot for mid-late game action imo.

Well, I think Lv 60 to 70 is the best Lv for NG end content

rahji

oh boy dat boss in anor londo. stuck on him for 3 days. I will never beat him, because he...no they wreck me in seconds. Managed to take out the fat guy a couple of times (he seems to be weak to my lightning spear), but then the other one becomes bigger and much much much stronger and puts his spear in my belly and I die. I think I am gonna make a break here.
to make things worse, I seem to have a illness. My head looks like a giant egg and I get only half of the souls I used to get from enemies. And I am stuck in Anor Londo, can't go anywhere else. seems I gotten myself into a dead end.

oh boy dat boss in anor londo. stuck on him for 3 days. I will never beat him, because he...no they wreck me in seconds. Managed to take out the fat guy a couple of times (he seems to be weak to my lightning spear), but then the other one becomes bigger and much much much stronger and puts his spear in my belly and I die. I think I am gonna make a break here.
to make things worse, I seem to have a illness. My head looks like a giant egg and I get only half of the souls I used to get from enemies. And I am stuck in Anor Londo, can't go anywhere else. seems I gotten myself into a dead end.
You need an Egg Vermifuge for the egg disease, can be farmed from the tree snakes in Darkroot Garden, maybe bought from a vendor don't remember. Can get one for free from
Eingy, the egg carrier servant of Quelaag's sister who is behind an illusory wall under the Blighttown bell of awakening - he looks exactly llke the non-hostile egg enemies before Quelaags boss room, do NOT attack him!
<--- Hidden location and NPC spoiler.

Anor Londo is a dead end in as much that you have to kill the boss in order to continue, but you can still go back and explore other areas that were open to you before going there. if you've activated the cage lift in Sen's Fortress, the trip back is very quick - even without it there is a drop down that is meant to be used as a shortcut in Sen's, the drop after the final set of swinging blades and the double pressure plate.

Most people say Smough (the fat one) is easier in the second phase, so you might want to try taking out Ornstein first. You can also summon Solaire, his sign is on the far steps in the main hall before the boss room.

rahji

You need an Egg Vermifuge for the egg disease, can be farmed from the tree snakes in Darkroot Garden, maybe bought from a vendor don't remember. Can get one for free from
Eingy, the egg carrier servant of Quelaag's sister who is behind an illusory wall under the Blighttown bell of awakening - he looks exactly llke the non-hostile egg enemies before Quelaags boss room, do NOT attack him!
<--- Hidden location and NPC spoiler.

Anor Londo is a dead end in as much that you have to kill the boss in order to continue, but you can still go back and explore other areas that were open to you before going there. if you've activated the cage lift in Sen's Fortress, the trip back is very quick - even without it there is a drop down that is meant to be used as a shortcut in Sen's, the drop after the final set of swinging blades and the double pressure plate.

Most people say Smough (the fat one) is easier in the second phase, so you might want to try taking out Ornstein first. You can also summon Solaire, his sign is on the far steps in the main hall before the boss room.

well thanks, but i got to anor londo through touching the white ring at the end of sen's fortress. then some flying monsters come and throw me into anor londo. how should i come back to sen's fortress?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

summon solaire who should keep smough busy and deal with ornstein yourself. once smough becomes more powerful use the broken pillars to your advantage.

well thanks, but i got to anor londo through touching the white ring at the end of sen's fortress. then some flying monsters come and throw me into anor londo. how should i come back to sen's fortress?

go back to the area the monsters dropped you off and you will have the option to return to sen's.

tebunker

Banned

Go back up to where they dropped you off. All the way up. They'll drop you off right at the ring. Then you can quickly head back using the cage.

Also, I posted it above, but lightning spear is useless against Ornstein. It is okay for Smough, but honestly you probably want to Kill Ornstein first. I also double recommend using Solaire to help. You have to be not-hollowed to summon him. His sign is on the steps as you come down on the Knight Archer side.

laxu

Dark Souls + DLC complete at 41 hours! Killed all the optional bosses except
Priscilla
. Worst boss was obviously Bed of Chaos followed by Capra Demon. My favorites were probably Gwyn and Artorias.

For a somewhat old game it held up pretty well in general at least with DSFix and a high res texture pack. If this game simply got a lighting mod it could look better.

What really annoyed me in the game was the inability to warp to any bonfire and the long runs to some of the bosses - knowing how Bloodborne and even DS3 to a lesser degree still do that shit is astounding. Levelwise it also has too many bad ones:
Depths, Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith
were just shit.

DS2 gets such a bad rap that I don't know if I should try that one or not. I guess I'll wait for the DS3 DLC for now and complete the last Witcher 3 DLC in the meanwhile.

tebunker

Banned
Priscilla
. Worst boss was obviously Bed of Chaos followed by Capra Demon. My favorites were probably Gwyn and Artorias.

For a somewhat old game it held up pretty well in general at least with DSFix and a high res texture pack. If this game simply got a lighting mod it could look better.

What really annoyed me in the game was the inability to warp to any bonfire and the long runs to some of the bosses - knowing how Bloodborne and even DS3 to a lesser degree still do that shit is astounding. Levelwise it also has too many bad ones:
were just shit.

DS2 gets such a bad rap that I don't know if I should try that one or not. I guess I'll wait for the DS3 DLC for now and complete the last Witcher 3 DLC in the meanwhile.

Ds2 gets a bad rap because it wasn't just Dark Souls+.

They changed some of the structure and mechanics a little too much. Sins of the First Scholar fixes almost all of the issues and a lot of the community like it. I would almost go as far as to say its the Majora's Mask to the OOT that the first game was. If that analogy makes any sense.

I actually have DS2 on PS4 and have made a character and piddled around some, its pretty and definitely has a different feel to it, but I am totally ready for it once I finish the first one.

Speaking of, holy crap it seems like you plowed through it. I am approaching 40 hours and still in the Tombs. I was figuring on a 60 hour game if I do the dlc too. I feel like maybe I am being too cautions and checking every corner for stuff a little too much.

Priscilla

were just shit.

I actually loved the ability to warp in mid lance, BB, DS2 and DS3 have it at the start kills all the tension of exploring without any risk. Still doing the catacombs early is torture to the infinite for first runners

laxu

Ds2 gets a bad rap because it wasn't just Dark Souls+.

They changed some of the structure and mechanics a little too much. Sins of the First Scholar fixes almost all of the issues and a lot of the community like it. I would almost go as far as to say its the Majora's Mask to the OOT that the first game was. If that analogy makes any sense.

Speaking of, holy crap it seems like you plowed through it. I am approaching 40 hours and still in the Tombs. I was figuring on a 60 hour game if I do the dlc too. I feel like maybe I am being too cautions and checking every corner for stuff a little too much.

I watched a playthrough of DS2 on YouTube yesterday and don't have much interest for it now. The bosses seem mostly unremarkable and the levels pretty bad.

I think I explored every nook and cranny in DS1 as best as I could and even spent a few hours farming titanite. I guess I didn't get stuck on a boss or level too much and actually I got most bosses in only a few tries, even one shot some. 150 hours of Bloodborne and 120 of DS3 is sure to be helpful.

I used the Claymore and Grass Crest Shield almost through the whole game and upgraded to a combination of Paladin and Sunbro armor in the last 3rd. Took me a while to understand the humanity mechanic but after I did I usually rolled with about 7-10 humanity for the defense and item discovery boosts.

Tarkus

I watched a playthrough of DS2 on YouTube yesterday and don't have much interest for it now. The bosses seem mostly unremarkable and the levels pretty bad.
The weapon diversity and build viability is way more vast in DS2 than any of the games. The rings are good and the different armors actually have an effect on defense unlike DS3. The levels aren't bad at all and NPCs are at least memorable compared to DS3. You're probably doing yourself a disservice by judging the game based on some uploader's playthrough.

And DS2's Claymore is the best by a mile.

Chris R

I think I might just be getting better at this game.

Made it to the bottom of Blight Town and it's bonfire in my first attempt. After I kindled the fire I even killed some fool who invaded me.

Need to find a new weapon soon though, my drake sword isn't cutting it almost any more against the regular monsters...

rahji

YEEEES, I could beat Ornstein and Smough now. Summoning is just fair in this bossfight. The events after the boss fight were really epic. Giant boobs which will not kill you. awesome.

Go on...

(I have no horse in this race but am genuinely interested to know what people think about it)
I don't want to bog down the DS1 thread with DS2 talk, there will be a dedicated DS2 shitpost thread sooner or later, there's one every couple of weeks I'll add my thougts (as usual!) then. Basically: SOTFS did not, and cannot, fix the main problem with DS2: the player controls and character movement. Patch in the gameplay from DS1 or DS3 and my main gripes with DS2 will melt away. Beyond that, I preferred vanilla DS2 in general and replay that, not SOTFS. Is the short version.

Chris R

Spider Fire Lady boss was probably the easiest boss yet...

Almost done with Sen's Fortress (or at least I think I am) Lizard dudes were tough to start with but I think I got them now. Also really glad the platforming wasn't as bad as it's been in other places in the game.

Tarkus

Spider Fire Lady boss was probably the easiest boss yet...

Almost done with Sen's Fortress (or at least I think I am) Lizard dudes were tough to start with but I think I got them now. Also really glad the platforming wasn't as bad as it's been in other places in the game.
Wat
Did you skip Taurus?

tebunker

Banned
Artorius is kicking my ass. I can't stun him when he powers up and I just need to get better at dodging. Making me mad though.

I hadn't struggled with any of the bosses really, I am through 4 kings, and SL 83. I should be fine but I think I am getting too greedy with his fight. I may just power through Izalith first and then come back.

Artorius is kicking my ass. I can't stun him when he powers up and I just need to get better at dodging. Making me mad though.

I hadn't struggled with any of the bosses really, I am through 4 kings, and SL 83. I should be fine but I think I am getting too greedy with his fight. I may just power through Izalith first and then come back.

Your Lv is enough to defeat him, try to parry him and dodge only when he perfom his 3/4 combo

Chris R

Wat
Did you skip Taurus?

No, he killed me several times.

Fire Spider was easy, just roll roll kill. Of course gear and levels make a difference. And like I said, I've been getting better at the game having played it more and more. Of the bosses I've killed I'd rank it the 2nd hardest at the gear/level/experience I fought it.

tebunker

Banned
Awwww! I was going to boot up the PS3 tonight and have a play!!

Yeah I was pretty sure I could block and not parry. I am still practicing the parry so I didn't even try it, but I can block well enough until he goes super Saiyan.

I read elsewhere I can interrupt his power up with an arrow, to the head, so maybe I will try that.

laxu

Artorias is mostly about stamina management as his attacks are not that hard to dodge but there are few changes to get in more than one hit. You should be able to stagger him if you manage to do enough damage when he powers up but you'd have to be able to get close really fast.

tebunker

Banned
What's your weapon? I think you should be able to stagger him out of powering up even with something like a longsword as long as you two hand.

Artorias is mostly about stamina management as his attacks are not that hard to dodge but there are few changes to get in more than one hit. You should be able to stagger him if you manage to do enough damage when he powers up but you'd have to be able to get close really fast.

Originally Quelaag's Chaos furysword, tried a maxxed out Lightning Spear, but currently using Black Knight Sword +3.

One handed with shield. So I should switch to two handed as I run up to him then? That may be the trick.

I really need to find the ember that lets me push stuff above +10.

tebunker

Banned
I suppose that you didn't search well... because it could be found even at the beginning of the game, without beating a single boss.

I know which area it is in, I mean its an older game the info is out there. I am trying to do as much of a run without guides as possible but it is harder. I literally went through that area to the boss. I had some trepidation to fighting the enemies in that area after you flip the switch. As I said earlier it was the last boss I beat.

So yeah I guess it would help to go do that and upgrade my Bastad Sword +10 to +15.

llehuty

So, it's been a long time since the last time I posted in this thread. I spent a couple of weeks without playing, but I made some progress this weekend. Also, it's cool reading other people jumping into it for the fist time and comparing notes. Anyway, post 2 bell ringing spoilers.

So, Sen's fortress. God I hated this place as soon as I entered the first room with the swinging axes. I was so frustrated with the second section with the guy throwing lightnings, so annoying. After a looot of trial and error, I passed that room and I started to get the hang of this area. There is some really clever design and interconnections. I really like the falling rock reveal, then to see the room that they are originated room and lastly to see what puts them in that place at regular intervals, fun stuff. The whole thing screw mw around a couple of times, with the whole thing resetting for no apparent reason. The upper section of sen's fortress it's also quite cool. The whole thing feels like a plataformer level.

The boss didn't give me a lot of problems, but he pushed me out of the bridge several times. I feel like I've skipped a lot of paths here. I didn't investigate at all the lower part of the place (I landed up several times but I never managed to survive the place). I also have to open the magician in the gate, but it looks like a real pain in the ass backtracking this particular location. I'm expecting a magical shortcut back to Firelink Shrine or something at some point. At the end, I enoyed the location.

Anyway, the next area is visually amazing and a nice change of style from all the previous "dirtier" areas. Befor eI even had the time to get to know properly the area, I found myself trapped in the painting, which I thought was going to be just a random exposition section or something. This game.... I used the bone thing before activating the bonfire, and welp, useless, of course. I thought I was going to be screwed for ever. However, it's a quite easy area (if careful, as always). Well, unless if we are talking about the underground. Holy shit, that was tense. I wished I had noped the place, but it's not like I had any other option. However, I think I lucked out finding the well on the side on my second time there, which leads directly to the mechanism to open the exit door. I managed to get out and noped what I assume is the boss of the area. I guess I would have tried once, but I just wanted to exit that area ASAP. I found it quite interesting that it gave me the option of skipping it, though

I also feel like I left some things behind (some objects in the underground, but fuck that) and that big thing on the bridge. This game has a thing for enemies on bridges, lol.

And that's all my progress, as important objects that I've gotten so far, I guess the Dark Ember?, but I'm not sure what's the use of it yet. I want to go back to the smith, but just the thought of doing Sen's Fortress in the oposite direction -_- I guess it's the next thing I'm doing, and check the paths I din't explore yet. Also, since I got the Scimitar up to +10, I guess I will start working on upgrading a supporting weapon (I was thinking of the katana) and the bow. I really need a weapon with a combo that works in narrow tunnels, because the scimitar just sucks in those situations. I guess I should have taken the bench for improving weapons on the bonfires already, oh well...

Top Bottom